Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   1984-2004, 2005-2016 Two different eras (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=69818)

Gabriel Shoes 02-06-2017 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1217387)
While Goo Goo Dolls use a lot of alternate tunings I wholeheartedly disagree with that. The more pop rock songs with a rootsy twist, absolutely, I could see a GGD sound but songs like The Distance, Love me back to Life, Hook me Up...I mean just put on The Distance and Creed's My Sacrifice back to back. That was clearly the sound they were after.

I guess makes sense what you're saying.

I don't know why, back in 2002 - in my head, they're were trying to emulate Linkin Park. That Creed comparison is much better than LP.

steel_horse75 02-06-2017 09:10 PM

1984-2004, 2005-2016 Two different eras

84-96 was the best era of the band by a mile.
I got an old skool record player for Xmas so have picked up the first 6 albums on vinyl.
They are a different class to anything released after.
Not to say I don't enjoy a lot of the newer stuff but the albums have been patchy since Crush

Rdkopper 02-07-2017 12:18 AM

I'd break it down into 3 different eras

'84 to '96 - Bands Peak

'97 to '06 - More vocally conscience type albums - Although HAND / Shanks happened in '05, it's not really the divider for me...It was still all fresh and youthful to this point...

'07 to '17 - Lost Highway forward was really a pivotal change into a more mature / grown-up style Jon... This is where he stopped being a rock star and more of a guy just going through the motions...

Captain_jovi 02-07-2017 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1217408)
I'd break it down into 3 different eras

'84 to '96 - Bands Peak

'97 to '06 - More vocally conscience type albums - Although HAND / Shanks happened in '05, it's not really the divider for me...It was still all fresh and youthful to this point...

'07 to '17 - Lost Highway forward was really a pivotal change into a more mature / grown-up style Jon... This is where he stopped being a rock star and more of a guy just going through the motions...

I agree with this, yeah. HAND sounded youthful for sure.

Captain_jovi 02-07-2017 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabriel Shoes (Post 1217393)
I guess makes sense what you're saying.

I don't know why, back in 2002 - in my head, they're were trying to emulate Linkin Park. That Creed comparison is much better than LP.

Hmm with the drum machine angle? I think that started more so on It's My Life and even further back with Destination Anywhere but I think Bounce absolutely had LP elements though it also just sounds like that era of music.

Gabriel Shoes 02-07-2017 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1217411)
Hmm with the drum machine angle? I think that started more so on It's My Life and even further back with Destination Anywhere but I think Bounce absolutely had LP elements though it also just sounds like that era of music.

It was the heavy guitars I guess? Or maybe some electronic elements on Everyday, but I remember thinking they're trying to get that Linkin Park feeling back at that time.

That's the problem with too many Bon Jovi albums, the memories start to fade. LOL