Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Richie on the Masked Singer UK? (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70991)

JackieBlue 01-11-2023 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1283684)
I agree - it's a fun show - take it for what it is. Richie has always been up for a laugh and never taken himself too seriously. Him doing something like this is not really too far outside his box. Some people just need to lighten up!

And it's nice to have something positive and fun to look forward to in the Bon Jovi related world! Looking forward to hearing what song he's going to do next!

IDK anything about the show. I've never seen the American version, much less the one from UK. And from what I've been able to glean from Mr. Google, it seems like the shows' formats vary from country to country, or even season to season; so I have some questions.

Do you watch it enough to know the format for this season's shows?

Can you give us a rundown about what to expect from here?

I read where somebody said he lost this round to 'fawn'; but I assume he'll compete again. Is that correct? And if so, do you have any idea when that might be?

Thanks in advance. :)

Captain_jovi 01-11-2023 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by symbeline (Post 1283680)
The outrage over this is rather silly. Until very recently I thought this show was just harmless fun, but then I read about one of the singers possibly being Kate Bush and the vitriol was off the charts. People were saying that the show is trash, beneath real artists, embarrassing, etc. Come on, get a grip [emoji849] I don't watch the show so I don't know if Kate is really a contestant but what if she is, might be doing it to pay the bills, to amuse herself or a younger relative or just for exposure. Same goes for Richie, this is a music show, a bit campy and silly, yes, but still what Richie does fot a living. Now if it was a farting competition then maybe we could say it was a bit off field (or maybe not, who knows how good he would be...). Bon Jovi have done worse while promoting their music tbh.

I hope the premise of the show is not "you are out if you are easily recognizable" or else Richie is ****ed lol. I read about this from a million sources so I knew I was going to recognize him right off the bat but I showed the clip at home (just the song, not the clues), individually to avoid any cheating, and my youngest said that it sounded quite familiar (she's terrible at names anyway), my oldest said Bon Jovi and my husband guessed Richie right away. It was that easy. We don't even listen to BJ at home, only very occasionally if a song pops up in whatever playlist we are listening to, so I'd say they are not that used to Richie's voice and still either guessed it super easily or were pretty close.

So sorry Richie... you are out! Which my kids want to see, they now very intrigued about the show and the "unmasking ceremony"

Sent from my moto g22 using Tapatalk

Just to follow up your point: https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news...inger-25922124 Richie's name is nowhere to be seen. It's only obvious if you know how he sings.

Thinny 01-11-2023 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieBlue (Post 1283688)
Do you watch it enough to know the format for this season's shows?

I think I've watched it once before this week, so I'm no expert haha. It's not my usual sort of TV, but it's a harmless, fun kinda saturday night show. I answer to your question, no not really... :p

Quote:

Can you give us a rundown about what to expect from here?

From what I gather each contestant will sing one song each round (I think sometimes each round takes two weeks, no Richie may not perform again until the weekend after next. Not sure). The studio audience weill then decide who won each battle. The losers of each battle will then face the panel, who will decide who to unmask. Once you are unmasked you are out. Everyone else gets to perform another song, I guess maybe you get a couple of songs each round if you survive to the latter stages, but I'm not really sure.

Quote:

I read where somebody said he lost this round to 'fawn'; but I assume he'll compete again. Is that correct? And if so, do you have any idea when that might be?

See above, I'm not sure if it will be the next episode or the one after, but he will definitely compete again :)

Thinny 01-11-2023 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1283689)
Just to follow up your point: https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news...inger-25922124 Richie's name is nowhere to be seen. It's only obvious if you know how he sings.

Press originally jumped on the Shane Richie bandwagon, but are starting to change their tune....

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/tv/maske...acket-28907624

I agree, it's not obvious that it's Richie unless you are in the know and have followed him/the band to some degree, or know people that do. If you know his voice it's obvious, but most of the viewers won't.

Faceman 01-11-2023 07:11 PM

We also got the show in Germany. I followed one season very regularly but stopped after this since the shows just got too long with too much commercial breaks in between.
The hints they gave sometimes were very far fetched. You really had to be into the celeb to get the hint.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieBlue (Post 1283648)
but the Wild Hog tag could reference the movie; and I definitely remember WDOA being in that soundtrack.

Not just Wanted, but Lost Highway as well. As far as I remember, Wanted just got played partially during one scene while Lost Highway got played in complete during the credits.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieBlue (Post 1283648)
I missed the heart and dagger, but picked up on Romeo and Juliet bc of the reference in I'd Die for You.

I don't think it's a reference to I'd Die For You. Although I said their hints are sometimes very far fetched, this one seems to be too much out of line.
I think Romeo and Juliet is a reference to the former bromance of R & J = Richie & Jon.
Thus the picture of the heart which gets stabbed by a sword underneath, in Jovi-Land better known as the Heart & Dagger logo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savvi (Post 1283644)
A clue "Jack" gave on the show was “Hey, it’s me, Jack. I’ve got quite the collection, so big, it’ll make you say ‘woah’.” Clearly referring to the massive back catalogue he has with the band, and the "Woah-ohh" lyric in Prayer.

I'm with you on the "Woah"-part.
Regarding the collection I first thought of his giant guitar collection.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieBlue (Post 1283683)
FWIW: After wracking my brain for the last two days, trying to find a connection between Richie and those stupid "clues" in the jar, I had an epiphany. I was talking with a friend who suggested that the jar itself is a clue to You Give Love a Bad Name, hence "NAME the Potato". Aaannnd it dawned on me that maybe the clues aren't supposed to make sense because each one is a... BAD NAME!

That's a pretty good guess!

blazeofglory 01-11-2023 07:52 PM

I think Romeo & Juliet is an Always reference. I’d Die For You seems a little too niche for this, whereas Always is a song a decent portion of the UK audience has probably heard before, so they COULD guess it but at the same time it’s also not TOO easy since it’s not the title or a lyric from the chorus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captain_jovi 01-11-2023 09:14 PM

I'm torn on the Wild Hogs. Did it do particularly well in the UK? You'd have to be a real certain type of fan to know Lost Highway was played in the end credits, that's quote a reach as a clue. But I guess so is I'd Die For You, it was more about the logo than the book title.

Faceman 01-11-2023 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1283694)
I'm torn on the Wild Hogs. Did it do particularly well in the UK? You'd have to be a real certain type of fan to know Lost Highway was played in the end credits, that's quote a reach as a clue. But I guess so is I'd Die For You, it was more about the logo than the book title.

To repeat myself: I don't think Romeo & Juliet is a reference to I'd Die For You.
I think it's is a reference to the former bromance of R & J = Richie & Jon.
Thus the picture of the heart which gets stabbed by a sword underneath, in Jovi-Land better known as the Heart & Dagger logo.

Captain_jovi 01-11-2023 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faceman (Post 1283695)
To repeat myself: I don't think Romeo & Juliet is a reference to I'd Die For You.
I think it's is a reference to the former bromance of R & J = Richie & Jon.

Oh I think you're right, I'm just seeing people jump on the it's an I'd Die for You reference train. Yours and the Always reference make way more sense.

bonjovi90 01-11-2023 10:31 PM

The line in "I'd Die For You" is "in a world that don't know Romeo and Juliet..." and it's the title of the book here. When you don't know something, it makes sense to read up on it :mrgreen: