Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Richie on the Masked Singer UK? (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70991)

CKatz 01-07-2023 09:04 PM

Richie on the Masked Singer UK?

I'm pretty sure this is Richie:

rolo_tomachi 01-07-2023 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CKatz (Post 1283631)

Potato Sambora.

Captain_jovi 01-07-2023 11:41 PM

Neat! Great find!!! He's certainly been in the UK lately.

Thinny 01-07-2023 11:42 PM

100% Richie

blazeofglory 01-08-2023 12:58 AM

Also seems like a nice way to create some buzz around him again, maybe he’s finally gonna release his album soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QUceK1WV8 01-08-2023 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazeofglory (Post 1283638)
Also seems like a nice way to create some buzz around him again, maybe he’s finally gonna release his album soon!

I am sure. No later than 2025! (2028 )

Thinny 01-08-2023 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazeofglory (Post 1283638)

Agreed, and I can only think that the reason for doing this is for exposure. He can't need the money.

BUT he needs to strike while the iron is hot. He needs to have his album ready to go. It's a waste of time in 6 months, this kind of audience will have forgotten all about him.

The show draws a huge audience, so it's pretty much the best exposure he is going to get at this stage.

FinnishFan 01-08-2023 12:53 PM

Oh yes! Here's a video with better audio and clues presented: https://youtu.be/-L793vXhdc4. It's so obvious! Hope we get to hear lot of good performances from him.

Savvi 01-08-2023 12:54 PM

That's pretty cool. It's 110% him.

A clue "Jack" gave on the show was “Hey, it’s me, Jack. I’ve got quite the collection, so big, it’ll make you say ‘woah’.” Clearly referring to the massive back catalogue he has with the band, and the "Woah-ohh" lyric in Prayer.

Nice find.

EDIT: Lol they legit included the heart and dagger logo in the clue bundle under "Romeo and Juliet". I dont get the potato names reference though.

rolo_tomachi 01-08-2023 02:35 PM

It would be great to see him back for the 40th anniversary.

JoviForever 01-08-2023 05:07 PM

It does sound like him but I think most UK viewers would say “who?” if it was revealed as him! I think it could also be Shane Richie has some people have commented below the video.

Captain_jovi 01-08-2023 05:53 PM

It's for sure Richie. The heart/dagger logo in the clues. Listen to the way he sings "So get those stakes up higher" and the "Vivaaaaa". That's his vibrato for sure.

JackieBlue 01-08-2023 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savvi (Post 1283644)
That's pretty cool. It's 110% him.

A clue "Jack" gave on the show was “Hey, it’s me, Jack. I’ve got quite the collection, so big, it’ll make you say ‘woah’.” Clearly referring to the massive back catalogue he has with the band, and the "Woah-ohh" lyric in Prayer.

Nice find.

EDIT: Lol they legit included the heart and dagger logo in the clue bundle under "Romeo and Juliet". I dont get the potato names reference though.

I don't get those potato clues either; but the Wild Hog tag could reference the movie; and I definitely remember WDOA being in that soundtrack. I missed the heart and dagger, but picked up on Romeo and Juliet bc of the reference in I'd Die for You.

Plus, I agree with Capt about the way he sings "Viva" (and would add his accent on "Laaas Vegas").The most convincing thing to me vocally, though, was the way he sings "again" at the end of the bridge. That just sounds like pure Richie to me.

Thinny 01-08-2023 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoviForever (Post 1283646)
It does sound like him but I think most UK viewers would say “who?” if it was revealed as him! I think it could also be Shane Richie has some people have commented below the video.

It's not Shane Richie. It's Sambora - I'd recognise that voice anywhere. They do sometimes have left of field celebrities on the UK version. I remember SKIN from Skunk Anansie did it a few years ago. I think that the target audience for this show only really know "celebrities" from Eastenders or Coronation Street, etc, hence the Shane Richie comments.

Apparently it's also filmed in Oct/Nov time so it would tie in with the time that he was popping up all over the place in the UK.

BonJovi100 01-08-2023 09:24 PM

https://i.ibb.co/W6JBhZr/rICHIE.jpg

What's wrong with this world today?
One of the best guitarists singing as a potato to promote his persona and new music?
Seriously fat Elvis is worse than singing as a potato?

There are plenty of other music programs where you can promote your person, but in a better way. I even like some of these programs.

I hope it's not Richie, but some parts sound like Richie to me.

richiefan95 01-08-2023 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonJovi100 (Post 1283651)
https://i.ibb.co/W6JBhZr/rICHIE.jpg

What's wrong with this world today?
One of the best guitarists singing as a potato to promote his persona and new music?
Seriously fat Elvis is worse than singing as a potato?

There are plenty of other music programs where you can promote your person, but in a better way. I even like some of these programs.

I hope it's not Richie, but some parts sound like Richie to me.

I ilke this way of promotion. This is much better than going on Howard stern and having to talk about sex with Denise Richards

Eveline 01-08-2023 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richiefan95 (Post 1283652)
I ilke this way of promotion. This is much better than going on Howard stern and having to talk about sex with Denise Richards

Haha exactly! It's evident Richie is having fun and at this stage of life he can do whatever he wants. He's always been a comedian, still has a great voice and he's absolutely killing it!

Captain_jovi 01-08-2023 11:10 PM

It's a different world than it used to be. 40 years ago the mere thought of putting a song in a commercial was selling out. A Movie Star would NEVER go on TV. Albums were king and music sold.

Honestly, if this lead to him announcing the album is in the can, while I really don't think it will make a dent in sales, I'll take him having fun in public over sitting on 250 songs.

blazeofglory 01-09-2023 12:39 AM

Yeah I don’t think this is a sell-out type of situation. He clearly must’ve thought he’d have fun doing this, otherwise I don’t think he would’ve agreed to it, and there are far worse shows for celebrities to go on to get people talking about them again. It’s not like he’s camping in a jungle and eating worms or something.

He’s basically just doing his regular job minus the guitar and dressed as a potato, and we all know the man has a great voice, so why not have some fun with it on a show like this and get some promo for his album or whatever he’s got up his sleeve.

BonJovi100 01-09-2023 08:28 AM

If singing as a potato isn't typical cringe sell-out situation then nothing is. For me it's awful and i really hope this is not rock legend - Richie Sambora.

rolo_tomachi 01-09-2023 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonJovi100 (Post 1283660)
If singing as a potato isn't typical cringe sell-out situation then nothing is. For me it's awful and i really hope this is not rock legend - Richie Sambora.

If Richie finally releases the album thanks to this extra promotion, then go ahead.

Perhaps, even on his tour, he would add Viva Las Vegas as a tease for the casual fans who discovered him through the show. I just hope she doesn't wear that costume haha.

Rdkopper 01-09-2023 12:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't think he's singing live in that costume, and I also think they added some effects to his voice to distort it a little. I know the concept of the show but I've never watched it prior.

I'm totally digging Richie's version of Viva Las Vegas. I downloaded it and probably listened to it more times already than anything I listened to from RSO.

I think Jon and Richie are back. And I think something big is going to be announced soon. I don't think Richie is doing this just for him...Attachment 1727

Sent from my SM-A136U using Tapatalk

rolo_tomachi 01-09-2023 01:28 PM

When do they reveal who is behind the mask?

Rdkopper 01-09-2023 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1283664)
When do they reveal who is behind the mask?

I believe it's when they get voted off

Butters 01-09-2023 03:14 PM

Absolutely certain that's Richie. His voice sounds great but very sad to see what his career has come to.

GabrielC 01-09-2023 05:00 PM

This show is pretty big in UK. Not a bad way to promote something, I think this is a right step.

Thinny 01-09-2023 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GabrielC (Post 1283669)
This show is pretty big in UK. Not a bad way to promote something, I think this is a right step.

It's a massive show and ironically the best exposure anyone in the band has had for a very long time over here! I'm actually impressed that Sambora is still viewed as enough of a celebrity here for the producers to consider him for it. It's not like he's really done a huge amount on the last ten years.

Thinny 01-09-2023 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1283663)
I think Jon and Richie are back. And I think something big is going to be announced soon. I don't think Richie is doing this just for him...

You can't help but wonder if the Bon Jovi PR machine might have something do with this...

Captain_jovi 01-09-2023 05:33 PM

Only speaking for the North American version, here it's a good mix of "people that are big" and "this person used to be huge but no one has heard from them in a bit but it's cool they got 'em". To me, Richie falls under Category 2.

I don't think the band is involved in this as far as PR for him coming back goes. Though it may explain why he's holding off on releasing anything (Granted I've said that once every 2 years and having to constantly find reasons like "maybe this is why" is just second nature with this dude)

Thinny 01-09-2023 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1283672)
Only speaking for the North American version, here it's a good mix of "people that are big" and "this person used to be huge but no one has heard from them in a bit but it's cool they got 'em". To me, Richie falls under Category 2.

Without a doubt. There will also be a part of the audiece that are like "who?" as someone else said. But those that know will find it cool I would think.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1283672)
I don't think the band is involved in this as far as PR for him coming back goes. Though it may explain why he's holding off on releasing anything (Granted I've said that once every 2 years and having to constantly find reasons like "maybe this is why" is just second nature with this dude)

If after this his album STILL doesn't come out then I will be lost for words. To not take advantage of the situation would be mind bogling! The only reason I can see for not putting it out, or at least a song or EP, is that it's because he's back in the band. Let's see...

Alphavictim 01-09-2023 06:32 PM

It's goofy stuff but he's promoting his music (I'd hope) with musical stuff. It's not like he's gossipping (as others mentioned) or whatever. Sounding good, too.

Rdkopper 01-10-2023 03:35 AM

I think he's trying to get some relevance back. He's been truly out of the spotlight for 10 years now.

That's what all these shows are all about. Giving B List celebrities a new light.

Sent from my SM-A136U using Tapatalk

symbeline 01-10-2023 10:10 PM

The outrage over this is rather silly. Until very recently I thought this show was just harmless fun, but then I read about one of the singers possibly being Kate Bush and the vitriol was off the charts. People were saying that the show is trash, beneath real artists, embarrassing, etc. Come on, get a grip [emoji849] I don't watch the show so I don't know if Kate is really a contestant but what if she is, might be doing it to pay the bills, to amuse herself or a younger relative or just for exposure. Same goes for Richie, this is a music show, a bit campy and silly, yes, but still what Richie does fot a living. Now if it was a farting competition then maybe we could say it was a bit off field (or maybe not, who knows how good he would be...). Bon Jovi have done worse while promoting their music tbh.

I hope the premise of the show is not "you are out if you are easily recognizable" or else Richie is ****ed lol. I read about this from a million sources so I knew I was going to recognize him right off the bat but I showed the clip at home (just the song, not the clues), individually to avoid any cheating, and my youngest said that it sounded quite familiar (she's terrible at names anyway), my oldest said Bon Jovi and my husband guessed Richie right away. It was that easy. We don't even listen to BJ at home, only very occasionally if a song pops up in whatever playlist we are listening to, so I'd say they are not that used to Richie's voice and still either guessed it super easily or were pretty close.

So sorry Richie... you are out! Which my kids want to see, they now very intrigued about the show and the "unmasking ceremony"

Sent from my moto g22 using Tapatalk

Captain_jovi 01-10-2023 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by symbeline (Post 1283680)
The outrage over this is rather silly. Until very recently I thought this show was just harmless fun, but then I read about one of the singers possibly being Kate Bush and the vitriol was off the charts. People were saying that the show is trash, beneath real artists, embarrassing, etc. Come on, get a grip [emoji849] I don't watch the show so I don't know if Kate is really a contestant but what if she is, might be doing it to pay the bills, to amuse herself or a younger relative or just for exposure. Same goes for Richie, this is a music show, a bit campy and silly, yes, but still what Richie does fot a living. Now if it was a farting competition then maybe we could say it was a bit off field (or maybe not, who knows how good he would be...). Bon Jovi have done worse while promoting their music tbh.

I hope the premise of the show is not "you are out if you are easily recognizable" or else Richie is ****ed lol. I read about this from a million sources so I knew I was going to recognize him right off the bat but I showed the clip at home (just the song, not the clues), individually to avoid any cheating, and my youngest said that it sounded quite familiar (she's terrible at names anyway), my oldest said Bon Jovi and my husband guessed Richie right away. It was that easy. We don't even listen to BJ at home, only very occasionally if a song pops up in whatever playlist we are listening to, so I'd say they are not that used to Richie's voice and still either guessed it super easily or were pretty close.

So sorry Richie... you are out! Which my kids want to see, they now very intrigued about the show and the "unmasking ceremony"

Sent from my moto g22 using Tapatalk

People aren't going to guess it easily. What is the common person's reference point, his vocals in Wanted? I don't think a a hardcore fan's family guessing it easily will come close to a random person. Literally the person everyone saying it is is the wrong person.

End of the day it's a VERY popular show. It's exposure and something the band camp needs baaaadly.

rolo_tomachi 01-10-2023 10:37 PM

It's a fun show. I've flipped through the previous editions, and some people don't know who the hell he is...so it's okay if most people don't know who Richie is when he takes off his mask. And about the riddles, the same, even Tony Hawk (Skater) participated, who the hell knew it was him?

This is just fun, and I think it's great that it has a good audience for Richie to be able to put himself out there. The version of him from Viva Las Vegas has been liked. Which is a good starting point.

JackieBlue 01-10-2023 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savvi (Post 1283644)
... I dont get the potato names reference though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieBlue (Post 1283648)
I don't get those potato clues either...

FWIW: After wracking my brain for the last two days, trying to find a connection between Richie and those stupid "clues" in the jar, I had an epiphany. I was talking with a friend who suggested that the jar itself is a clue to You Give Love a Bad Name, hence "NAME the Potato". Aaannnd it dawned on me that maybe the clues aren't supposed to make sense because each one is a... BAD NAME!

Thinny 01-10-2023 11:13 PM

I agree - it's a fun show - take it for what it is. Richie has always been up for a laugh and never taken himself too seriously. Him doing something like this is not really too far outside his box. Some people just need to lighten up!

And it's nice to have something positive and fun to look forward to in the Bon Jovi related world! Looking forward to hearing what song he's going to do next!

rolo_tomachi 01-10-2023 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1283684)
I agree - it's a fun show - take it for what it is. Richie has always been up for a laugh and never taken himself too seriously. Him doing something like this is not really too far outside his box. Some people just need to lighten up!

And it's nice to have something positive and fun to look forward to in the Bon Jovi related world! Looking forward to hearing what song he's going to do next!

Wait... will he do another song? how long can he be on the show?

sambos apprentice 01-11-2023 12:24 AM

Yeah the Romeo and Juliet is LOVE....

Then all the nasty or BAD names ...it's so daft it's amazing. Vocals are no way in hell "live".

He's borderline flawless.

Captain_jovi 01-11-2023 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1283685)
Wait... will he do another song? how long can he be on the show?

Depends on how "real" you want the show to be. My wife and I talk about this along and think the voting aspect isn't real and is based on the contestant's schedule. If it's like the American version I think it's a month or two before a second lineup is introduced. They've switched the format quite a few times though so I may be wrong.

So he shouuuuld have another 3-4 song depending on if he gets voted out or not. My money is on him getting voted out sooner rather than later unless he spent more time in the UK than we realize.