Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Why did they drop Nothing (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=38033)

windy miller 12-13-2006 11:33 AM

... I think nowadays they play it safe!..With the earlier albums it was "This is us, this is what we do, hope you like it" now it's more "Which songs will appeal most to the mass market...the diehards will buy it anyway!";)

bjcrazycpa 12-13-2006 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by windy miller (Post 712428)
... I think nowadays they play it safe!..With the earlier albums it was "This is us, this is what we do, hope you like it" now it's more "Which songs will appeal most to the mass market...the diehards will buy it anyway!";)

What was the name of the band that opened at Milton Keynes? Remember one of those guys posted here and he said he asked Jon about Nothing and Jon's response was he just wasn't "feeling" the song.

deb

windy miller 12-13-2006 12:13 PM

...mmmm can't remember Deb!...I do remember the singer blocking some of my view of the show though! ;) ....
Ok so if Jon chooses tracks on feelings or lack of each time that's a good thing...but someone needs to hit the overide button now and then!...he's admitted in the past that he's rubbish at picking the songs for the CD's

Captain Walrus 12-13-2006 01:11 PM

I agree with Matt that probably at least partly it's because it's too similar to I Am ... I also agree that it's a bloody good song, and definetly should have made the album ... over I Am if needs be!

bjcrazycpa 12-13-2006 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by windy miller (Post 712436)
...mmmm can't remember Deb!...I do remember the singer blocking some of my view of the show though! ;) ....
Ok so if Jon chooses tracks on feelings or lack of each time that's a good thing...but someone needs to hit the overide button now and then!...he's admitted in the past that he's rubbish at picking the songs for the CD's

Oh yea, I agree with you. I know when Jon was asked about Unbreakable at the WPLJ Up Close and Personal concert back in Oct. 2005, he said, that is just didn't see that song standing the test of time and wanting to perform it over and over.

deb

Emil 12-13-2006 09:43 PM

I think another reason might be that the demoes and non album-tracks maybe seem more raw, real and honest to people. You know, everything doesnīt sound like it needs to be hit, Jonīs vocal are based more on emotion than singing technique and every second isnīt produced to perfection.. I sometimes think that the old material has more of a real feeling to it, canīt really explain why. But like someone here said, the band went more their own way back then and didnīt care that much about what was getting played on the radio.
So I think that might be something about the demoes and non album-tracks that appeal at least the old school Bon Jovi-fans.

schlochty 12-14-2006 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emil (Post 712490)
I think another reason might be that the demoes and non album-tracks maybe seem more raw, real and honest to people. You know, everything doesnīt sound like it needs to be hit, Jonīs vocal are based more on emotion than singing technique and every second isnīt produced to perfection.. I sometimes think that the old material has more of a real feeling to it, canīt really explain why. But like someone here said, the band went more their own way back then and didnīt care that much about what was getting played on the radio.
So I think that might be something about the demoes and non album-tracks that appeal at least the old school Bon Jovi-fans.

Absolutely. This may sound like a bit of a cliché, but I think many of ther older songs are simply more rock 'n' roll...

† ĀžžĀ † 12-14-2006 01:20 PM

I haven't heard this track? But I agree that Jovi do tend to select the wrong songs occassionally, how on earth Dirty Little Secret didn't make HAND still baffles me. Postcards From The Wasteland is also a nice tune which failed to make Bounce.

strickamania 12-14-2006 09:51 PM

Could someone tell me what album and version this song is from, I have US, Japan, and UK HAND's and know nothing of this song. Thanks.

aph01 12-14-2006 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strickamania (Post 712678)
Could someone tell me what album and version this song is from, I have US, Japan, and UK HAND's and know nothing of this song. Thanks.

it didnt make it to any album in any country. it was originally going to be on the have a nice day album, but was put in the scrap heap which is a huge waste!!

This youtube link is a video someone made with nothing as the background music! great song! enjoy!!

Ali.