Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   7800 Fahrenheit a great album (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=45138)

steel_horse75 05-23-2008 04:22 PM

7800 Fahrenheit a great album

How can you lot not rate this album?
I get the feeling most of you either liked Jovi from either “Prayer” upwards, 2001 upwards or you are just too young?
For those who remember this album coming out it ROCKS. It did then and it does now.
I was about 8 or 9 when the album came out and my cousin had it – he got me into metal/rock.
As soon as I heard it my ears pricked up and I was hooked on Rock music.
I find it funny now when I talk to people (who supposedly love Jovi) that they think SWW was the first album and Prayer was the first single.
Let me tell you why its one of their best.
Guitar – Some of Richie’s best riffs and solos are on this album.
Drums – some of Tico’s best beats
Lyrics – naïve, mature, gullible and superb all rolled into one.
Jons Voice – A true Rock voice. Was only ever really heard again on SWW, NJ & KTF
The best of the songs – The Price of Love, Only Lonely, Silent Night Tokyo Road, The Hardest part is the night, secret dreams, Always run to you -some of their finest work.

ok the production could have been better but then again so could have Motleys Shout...and Too fast for Love but they too are classics...you cant have everything....

Just because the band don’t like it don’t mean you should copy them – open your ears and listen to one of the best Bon Jovi albums………………….

Savvi 05-23-2008 04:30 PM

I actually dont mind this album, even though its in my bottom 3 Bon Jovi albums (These Days & Bounce).

I love the beginning of King Of The Mountain. Tokyo road isnt bad either.

My fav tracks from the album though would be Only Lonely, Hardest Part Is The Night and Always Run To You, closely followed by In And Out Of Love.

So yeah, not their best album, but I still enjoy it!

Goldsausage 05-23-2008 04:49 PM

****in' love it. In your face SWW.

Arash 05-23-2008 04:52 PM

It IS a great album. For me it's my 5th favorite bj album (higher than BJ, KTF, Crush, Bounce, and HAND)

DevilsSon 05-23-2008 05:05 PM

I love the album when I am in the mood to listen to it. It's loaded with amazing riffs, great solos and probably the best bon jovi bass work. Jon's vocals are mind-blowing too, however, the lyrics are a big downer. In and Out of Love is a classic though. I'd love to see it live.

Eastwick 05-23-2008 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsSon (Post 828494)
I love the album when I am in the mood to listen to it.

The same goes for me. I have to be in a kind of "80s popmetal mood", it's not a record for everyday use. 7800 ain't bad at all, but I would never bought it if it wasn't a Bon Jovi record.
Always Run To You is a very good song!

Sleep-When-Im-Dead 05-23-2008 05:58 PM

hmmm prefer Bon Jovi to this one, but in and out of love, tokyo road and silent night are classics

Savvi 05-23-2008 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleep-When-Im-Dead (Post 828518)
hmmm prefer Bon Jovi to this one, but in and out of love, tokyo road and silent night are classics

I agree! Bon Jovi is a great album. Runaway, Get Ready, Roulette, She Dont Know Me, Love Lies... some of my favs.

Dave 1986 05-23-2008 06:05 PM

I like it cause it's a dark moody hard rock album. Perhaps the 80's equivelant to These Days? Either way, it was IMO a perfect follow-up and compliment to the first album.

Ovbiously, production is naff, but like you say, so it alot of Crue's early albums, and it does kinda take away from the real merits it has, in that the sound quality may put alot of people off. But once you look past it, you can see what great songs can be heard here.

I loved In And Out Of Love and Tokyo Road as soon as I heard them, also the live version of I&OOL from One Wild Night. Would be great if they could at least pull this one out again live. Hardest Part Is The Night I wasn't amazingly fussed on untill a couple of years ago when I saw the live video from Breakout: Video Singles and now it's one of my favourite songs on the album.

I've never really played it often, I guess simple cause I don't think to dig it out. It's certainly one of those albums that needs a good few listens. Maybe watching the videos will help too. But this album should not be dismissed just because the band don't like it and that it's not exactly the most significant album on their career. Obviously, it's not for people who only ever play Slippery When Wet, or any other albums fueled with radio-friendly pop-rock hits. I guess it's only for die hard fans, but I'm glad it's there

Kathleen 05-23-2008 06:07 PM

I have always been a defender of this album. I became a fan with New Jersey but I then searched out all the back albums. The sound is pretty awful in comparison to later albums but since I have older stuff from other bands with the same problem that didn't bother me too much. If nothing else Jon's vocals are worth listening to. And Richie's guitar is superb - I wish I could hear more like that from him now that he is older.

I also don't mind the absolutely hopelessly depressing lyrics and vibe. All my music doesn't have to be relentlessly optimistic. Anyone who has even been dumped in a relationship should be able to relate to this album - and who among us hasn't been there at some point in their life?

Mongoose 05-23-2008 06:16 PM

Quote:

Listen people can't you hear the
voices that are crying out.
There's a hunger burning in the heart of their souls.
Maybe now that I got you let me tell
you what I'm talking 'bout
Stand up and shout tonight we'll lose control
I been down and mistreated
Now we're standing undefeated.
I'm the King of the Mountain
I'm the King of the Hill
I'm the King of the Mountain
I'm the King of the Hill
:cool:

Need I say anymore?

Mongoose 05-23-2008 06:17 PM

Btw, I actually (rare for a Jovi album these days, no pun...) think its a really 'clever' name for an album

mrleaf 05-23-2008 06:23 PM

I think its a top class album even though as people said the production on it is terrible.But once your listening away after only lonely its pretty ok.

What i think the band should do(they never will though)is after this tour.Go back to the orig tapes and mix it down again.Give it away as a free download as a way of saying thank you-Do the same with Bon Jovi

Captain Walrus 05-23-2008 06:24 PM

It is a really good album, albeit a little uneven. There are (IMO) some great songs (Price Of Love, Only Lonely, Hardest Part Is The Night), some really good songs (In & Out Of Love, To The Fire, Silent Night), some pretty good songs (King Of The Mountain, Always Run To You, Tokyo Road), and one song that I don't like (Secret Dreams). None of the songs however are quite as awesome as Prayer or Wanted, and it hasn't got the feel of a band firing on all cylinders like the next two albums would, so it falls down slightly there.

I'm gonna sneakily take this oppurtunity to link to the extremely long review of it I did about a year ago, for anyone who might be interested: http://www.drycounty.com/jovitalk/sh...ighlight=wired

KeepTheFaith2211 05-23-2008 06:57 PM

It is a good album, not a one I listen to too much though. My favourite songs off of it are Tokyo Road and In And Out Of Love without a doubt! :)

kenobi_on_a_prayer 05-23-2008 07:07 PM

I hated it at first (though I was much more pop oriented when I first heard it) but it has grown on me. I love Only Lonely, The Hardest Part, In & Out of Love, The Price of Love, and Silent Night.

Still don't like King of the Mountain though.;)

slippery89 05-23-2008 07:15 PM

Love the album, in fact i love their first two albums just as much as their later ones. They're too underrated.

milomom 05-23-2008 07:25 PM

I thoroughly enjoy this album on a very basic level. I crank it up LOUD, roll down the windows and drive fast. :cool:

(Deep, huh?)

Kathleen 05-23-2008 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milomom (Post 828552)
I thoroughly enjoy this album on a very basic level. I crank it up LOUD, roll down the windows and drive fast. :cool:

(Deep, huh?)

I do the same thing Terri - I love it when the weather gets warm and I can take the top off my jeep. I crank up the music and let it rip. I don't care if it's deep - it's one of my pleasures in life. Although my mother wants to know if I will ever grow up :D I think it's a little late to worry about it LOL

Now And Forever 05-23-2008 09:00 PM

I know that people dump on this album a lot... I just don't know why. Sure the production quality is poor, but if that is the main reason why critics, fans, not to mention the band themselves, aren't keen on it, that really isn't a legitamate one; because the album does contain some great songs, such as Tokyo Road, The Hardest Part Is The Night, The Price Of Love, Only Lonely, Silent Night, Always Run To You, etc. In terms of overall Bon Jovi album ratings, I regard it as comparably well with their debut (if not slightly better), far better than anything post Crossroad, and just a shade below the powerhouses that are Slippery When Wet, New Jersey and Keep The Faith. Does anyone concur with me on this analysis?

kdcranfill21 05-23-2008 10:00 PM

I love the album and in particular the song "Silent Night." I'm one of those fans that's been around since the first record/album or whatever the heck they are called nowdays!

hometownboy 05-23-2008 10:32 PM

the price of love is my favourite song on it , i love that one

Tough Talk 05-23-2008 10:41 PM

Aww, Fahrenheit...the first BJ album I got. I bought the cassette in Jan 1986, some days after having listened to it with my then best friend in a local record store. We were already familiar with the band through Runaway and The Hardest Part Is The Night, which were played occasionally on the radio, and initially it was my friend, who was more enthusiastic about these songs, but I really fell for the band that day in the record store... Only Lonely really spoke to me, a 14-year old teenager, who was unhappily in love, heheh. All in all, the desperate feel of the music was what sucked me in, and for me it continues to be the strength of the album to this day.

A funny thing with my friend was that when SWW came out half a year later, she pretty much dismissed it by saying it wasn't nearly as good as Fahrenheit! I kinda shook my head at that because, as much as I liked the previous record, Slippery really seemed to have tightened up the music a couple of notches! I still continued to listen to Fahrenheit, though, and I never stopped liking it. I can remember having a boot on cassette, where Jon gave the most heart-rending performance of Silent Night... Back in the day when he was very fond of this song - yes, there was a time like that once, lol.

Simon 05-23-2008 11:56 PM

"Fahrenheit" was my first BJ-CD that I bought in the summer 1994, when I saw it in the nice price section. Probably my first CD anyhow that I bought myself. I was 9 or 10 years old and had discovered the band shortly before via a tape that git 7 songs from "Slippery". After that I bought original MCs (yeah, they were still for sale back then, with album artwork and everything!) of KTF, Slippery and the debut album. Then the Fahrenheit-CD.

I loved it from the beginning, every single song except for "Secret Dreams". I loved to listen to it while the air was hot and sun was shining and I was discovering this new band that just had turned to be my favourite band... music was my first love, really. It was a great summer, and especially remembering how I loved to listen to "Fahrenheit" brings that feeling back. "King Of The Mountain" is the first to appear in my mind when thinking of me as a little boy sitting in front of the stereo, turning it up.

Later when I discovered the live versions from the Tokyo '85 bootleg (and later the japanese bonus CD) I reall yfell in love with "Only Lonely" and "Hardest Part". Man, the band was so ambitious that time around, they were playing tight, and you can reall yfeel the passion, the need to get further. You even hear it on the record, and I always understood how the band was thinking they made a real hit record. And the songs ain't bad, they're full of energy and ideas, the material is much stronger than on the first album (which I never reall yliked, too plain, too simple) imo. Looking back it's clear why they had to make "Slippery" to really get somewhere, of course. But "Fahrenheit" is really underrated, I just enjoy listening to it now as I did back then.

danfan 05-24-2008 02:20 AM

There were a couple of good tracks on it (In and Out of Love, Price of Love, Silent Night, Tokyo Road). But there was also some real shit on it (Secret Dreams, Hardest Part Is The Night, Always Run To You, To The Fire).

milomom 05-24-2008 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathleen (Post 828563)
I do the same thing Terri - I love it when the weather gets warm and I can take the top off my jeep. I crank up the music and let it rip. I don't care if it's deep - it's one of my pleasures in life. Although my mother wants to know if I will ever grow up :D I think it's a little late to worry about it LOL

Hey Kathleen -- I'm glad you're with me on this! And as for growing up . . . it's highly overrated. I did it, didn't like it and am now working my way out of it! If I could just find a DeLorean with a working flux capacitor, I could go back and get in on the ground floor with Bon Jovi instead of getting in so late in the game. :rolleyes:

P.S. I appreciate this thread. I've already listened to Fahrenheit twice today and the night is still young.

jade4jovi 05-24-2008 02:47 AM

I've just done listening to this album, because I needed to refresh my memory - been ages since I've heard it.

Anyway, meh. Not a great album, IMHO. I wouldn't really say it's BAD, but I don't think it's great either. I don't mind depressing music, a lot of songs I listen to could be considered depressing. But there's something I feel this album is lacking. I can't quite put my finger on it though. I do think Jon's voice is very nice on this album, and I love the title BTW - pretty clever with what it means. The only song on there I can say I love, is In And Out Of Love. That's by far the best song on there.

So in conclusion, it's not baadd, I can listen to it now and then - but not an everyday one for me.

Crushgen24/88 05-24-2008 04:00 AM

In my opinion, it's shit.
And spare me "you're too young" or whatever. I don't like it, haven't liked it since the first time I heard it. Tokyo Road is a class song, and In and Out of Love and Only Lonely are ok, but I can't stand the rest of the record. By far, my least favorite Bon Jovi record.

Adam D 05-24-2008 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milomom (Post 828665)
Hey Kathleen -- I'm glad you're with me on this! And as for growing up . . . it's highly overrated. I did it, didn't like it and am now working my way out of it! If I could just find a DeLorean with a working flux capacitor, I could go back and get in on the ground floor with Bon Jovi instead of getting in so late in the game. :rolleyes:

P.S. I appreciate this thread. I've already listened to Fahrenheit twice today and the night is still young.

Wow, Bon Jovi and Back To The Future in the same post...awesome!!! :)

Crushgen24/88 05-24-2008 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milomom (Post 828665)

Back To The Future references for the ****ing win.
I love those movies. Know them word for word actually:D

Adam D 05-24-2008 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crushgen24/88 (Post 828688)

Me too man, me too.

Does that make us a bunch of geeks? LOL

Grypweed 05-24-2008 04:28 AM

Quote:

I so wanted to be Marty McFly when I was little ! :cool: Too bad I turned out to be a woman. But it's all good.

Goldsausage 05-24-2008 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by absol.lution (Post 828692)
I so wanted to be Marty McFly when I was little ! :cool: Too bad I turned out to be a woman. But it's all good.

It's not April 1st.

milomom 05-24-2008 04:34 AM

Quote:

I thought the first one was brilliant. The others . . . not so much.

Odd that I ended up with a Back to the Future reference. My first inclination was to say that Kathleen and I sounded like Thelma & Louise! :lol:

Crushgen24/88 05-24-2008 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milomom (Post 828695)
I thought the first one was brilliant. The others . . . not so much.

Odd that I ended up with a Back to the Future reference. My first inclination was to say that Kathleen and I sounded like Thelma & Louise! :lol:

The third one was good. The second one is ok, but it tries a bit too hard to be a Sci-Fi film.

Grypweed 05-24-2008 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldsausage II (Post 828694)
It's not April 1st.

Ahahah ha hahaha haha ha. Eggface.

Goldsausage 05-24-2008 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by absol.lution (Post 828705)
Ahahah ha hahaha haha ha. Eggface.

I thought it was a pretty good one actually.

Arsehol-Lution.

kenobi_on_a_prayer 05-24-2008 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Now And Forever (Post 828570)
I know that people dump on this album a lot... I just don't know why. Sure the production quality is poor, but if that is the main reason why critics, fans, not to mention the band themselves, aren't keen on it, that really isn't a legitamate one; because the album does contain some great songs, such as Tokyo Road, The Hardest Part Is The Night, The Price Of Love, Only Lonely, Silent Night, Always Run To You, etc. In terms of overall Bon Jovi album ratings, I regard it as comparably well with their debut (if not slightly better), far better than anything post Crossroad, and just a shade below the powerhouses that are Slippery When Wet, New Jersey and Keep The Faith. Does anyone concur with me on this analysis?

Hell no because These Days is ****ing awesome and HAND is one of my favourites (even if it's not quite as good when I try to view Bon Jovi objectively... HA!). ;)

It's not the production; that didn't even come to mind when I first listened to this (age 16 or 17). I just found the songs (apart from Hardest Part) really bland for some reason. Over time it's grown on me and, while I don't listen to the album all that often, I like most of the songs without necessarily LOVING them.

jade4jovi 05-24-2008 05:30 PM

It is a bland album.

Goldsausage 05-24-2008 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jade4jovi (Post 828782)
It is a bland album.

No ways. you're bland.