Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Other Bands (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Jovitalk Bandstand (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=54618)

Roxannah 12-17-2012 08:50 PM

i cast the rest of my votes, page 5 :)

DevilsSon 12-18-2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roxannah (Post 1097991)
i cast the rest of my votes, page 5 :)

Nice vote….makes things quite interesting. Come on Panda - you can decide who goes to the next round!!

Panda 12-18-2012 10:31 PM

First of all, sorry for how long it took me. I listened to every song posted and concentrated on just listening to them and the video so it took a while to get around to all of them.

Panda:
Can't vote for myself

Walleris: Vintage Trouble
I knew where I heard them before. They opened for Bon Jovi in Mannheim. But yeah, I liked them the most and I actually thought they were the best support act of the European leg. The rest of the acts were pretty dire. Couldn't get in any other band.

Peterson: Jake Bugg
Reminds me of a local Canadian artist called "Sam Roberts". I really enjoy this actually, this is one of my favorites so far. "Taste It" is just classic, fun rock n roll music.

Jim Bon Jovi: Longview
Tried to get into Sigur Ros a while back and never could get into it. Can't really get into instrumental rock music. I can dig classical, movie scores etc. But just rock music with not vocal is boring in my opinion. Maybe I'm just not used to it. So, naturally my vote goes for Longview. I really did like "Can't Explain", but none of the three songs had a lasting impression on me to be honest.

Haja: Westworld
Saosin just kinda seamed like a generic pop rock band to me. Maybe I need to try some of their other songs? I also detest 80s hair rock and well -that's what I got from Enuuf z Nuff. In the end I voted Westworld because I liked them the best, but to be honest none of these bands were my type. I suppose that's the whole point of this thread though - to find what new bands you do and don't like.

Budge: Inspiral Carpets
Band reminded me of MGMT, and well, this band is totally up my alley. I listened to the rest, but this just caught my ear immediately. Didn't really like Posts of the fall... again nothing really grabbed me from them.

eddie73: Krakatoa was boring. Sorry. Can I just choose to not vote for them as this was apparently my only choice?

hometownboy: Kyla La Grange
Good selection of bands. If Kurt Vile didn't have extremely boring vocals, I probably would have chosen them. Kyla La Grange seemed new and refreshing, and I might actually check out some more of their stuff. My vote goes for them.

DevilsSon: Stonerider
Don't really see the appeal to C.A.S.H.. seemed like a washed up 80s band to me, sorry. I see that there is a lot of 80's flair in all of the bands you posted, and like I mentioned previously - that's not really my thing. Of course there are exceptopns (ie. Bon Jovi) but for the most part I can't get in to it. In the end, my vote goes for Stonerider. Decent hooks and fun rock songs that I enjoyed.

C'mon Feet: Carolina Chocolate Drops
These guys win hands down. I love folk music and everything that comes with it. I wished you posted studio versions of the songs.

Roxannah: Patrick Wolf
I liked his sound. But again, most of the time what grabs me in a band is the vocals. Good band, but the vocals are just kinda boring. Actually, there was a trend with a 3 of your bands. Boring, generic vocals. Sorry if I'm ripping this apart so much - Bad, boring vocals were never my thing.

hometownboy 12-18-2012 11:52 PM

*Edited out my apology for the lateness of my votes ...

Panda: Poor Young Things.
I really liked the sound of this band - it's just easy to listen pop rock which was really enjoyable to listen to. I really wanted to like The Trews after hearing only positivie things about them live but I just couldn't get into the singer's voice, it really didn't do anything for me. Mother Mother have a good sound, they remind me of 'The Ting Tings' but they were out played by Poor Young Things, I'll be checking out their record soon!

Walleris: Vintage Trouble
This was the best out of a bad bunch for my musical taste. I didn't really like Vintage Trouble on the European leg of the BJ tour (must say their singer could work the crowd though!) but I just could not get into Living Colour and I found Alex Band's voice quite annoying after a while.

Peterson: Jake Bugg
I already listen to and like Embrace so I didn't want to vote for them as I'd say I'm a fan so it defeats the point but they are a quality band. I did like 'Feel the Love' by Rudimental and John Newman does have a great voice, i just wouldn't find myself listening to this in the car for example. I found Jake Bugg fantastic! I've been meaning to listen to him for a while now after reading reviews of albums and tours in music magazines and this was a great reminder, again it's just nice easy listening stuff - nice to hum/sing along to - I'll be getting the album on payday!

Jim Bon Jovi: Sigur Ros
Again, these were a band I have only positive things about but I have never got around to sitting down and listening to them! I was amazed I recognised the songs from adverts (as you mentioned) etc and really enjoyed their sound, Hoppipolla is fantastic. [On a side note, this is really strange, as i was watchng the video for Milano the advertisement that came on beforehand was my universities current promo video where I first heard Kyla Grange! Strange!!]
Explosions in the sky were also decent, Your hand in mine is a really pleasent song - I like this youtube comment - It's amazing what a song with no words can say... - that sums up my thought exactly on this one. However, this was the only song of theirs which I really liked. I enjoyed Longview but appreciated Sigur Ros more! :P

Haja: Enuff Z'nuff
I enjoyed Saison's music but not the singer's voice, I couldn't get into that at all. Enuff Z'nuff certainly have the 80's sound and i found this really catchy stuff, I'll probably have the stuff on my head for a day or two but I'm not sure if I'll go back to them. Westworld didn't really do anything for me!

Budge: Inspiral Carpets
I quite liked Poets of the Fall, again it was easy to listen to pop rock! Inspiral Carpets were one of those bands that I just never got round to properly listening to but i really enjoyed their stuff and they are from Manchester!

eddie73: Krakatoa
I didn't like Carnation Twink, just couldn't get into them. Kraktoa were listenable though, reminded me of twisted wheel a little.

hometownboy:
Can't vote for myself!

DevilsSon: Skin
I really enjoyed the songs you posted by Skin and i'm definitely going to check out their other stuff. I just could not get into Stonerider or C.A.S.H at all!

C'mon Feet: Jellyfish.
I really enjoyed Carolina Chocolate Drops and can imagine them being superb to see live! Umphrey's McGee had a great sound, one of the youtube comments mentioned them being a 'Jam band' and it did seem like they were having a great time up there, i enjoyed it! However, Jellyfish had me hooked from the go - what a great sound!

Roxannah: Glasvegas
I remember hearing Daddy's Gone when that was released and I quite like that but i never really listened to anything else but I enjoyed listening further. **** You, It's over is a decent tune, I can relate to this one at the moment! Patrick Wolf had good music but I just couldn't come around to his voice! The National are a band I've tried to get into before and just couldn't connect with them!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just to add to the earlier discussion Tom Wait's Closing Time is easily in my top 10 albums, cracking album!

DevilsSon 12-19-2012 11:58 AM

Excellent! I can close the voting now. The winners are:

Mother Mother
Vintage Trouble
Embrace
Longview
Enuff Z'Nuff
Inspiral Carpets
Krakatoa
Matthew Parryman Jones
Stonerider
Glasvesgas
Jellyfish
Carolina Chocolate Drops
(Hopefully, I haven't miscounted, and yes, C'Monfeet gets both his bands through - the voting was a tie!)

Cheers to everyone who participated. Certainly there was some great music coming out of this.

Pairs for the next round (unless someone has an issue with this!). Will create separate threads for each of them (one by one though)

Carolina Chocolate Drops vs. Jellyfish
Embrace vs. Longview
Enuff Z' Enuff vs. Krakatoa
Matthew Parryman Jones vs. Inspiral Carpets
Stonerider vs. Glasvegas
Mother Mother vs. Vintage Trouble

Rock 'n' roll!

DevilsSon 08-22-2013 09:57 AM

Been listening to the big playlist recently...and damn, there are some gems on there! We should revive this....see who the actual winner is.

Peterson 08-22-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsSon (Post 1150753)
Been listening to the big playlist recently...and damn, there are some gems on there! We should revive this....see who the actual winner is.

Or just have another round same as this where everyone brings forward another 3 bands. I'm not too fussed who wins, just enjoy hearing some new music!

Jim Bon Jovi 08-23-2013 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peterson (Post 1150817)
Or just have another round same as this where everyone brings forward another 3 bands. I'm not too fussed who wins, just enjoy hearing some new music!

Yup this.

Music ain't a competition :D

DevilsSon 08-23-2013 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Bon Jovi (Post 1150874)
Yup this.

Music ain't a competition :D

No fun if it's not a competition :D
Everything is anyway...and if there is no voting involved it makes it just a big list that no one listens to.

What was the first pairing I had put up against each other?