Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Richie Sambora!!! (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70391)

Thinny 12-23-2018 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1249743)
I mean, you did crawl out from your rock and saw Richie's odd behavior after he left in 2013, right?

I actually don't recall any odd behaviour in 2013, but I remember 2014 being full of it. To me, that was the complete low point for Richie...he was just a mess...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1249743)
Look, I'm a Richie fan and I wish him all the best... I'm looking for a killer solo album, I hope one day he'll join them all on stage again and most of all, I want to see him healthy..

Well, we can both agree on that!

JackieBlue 12-23-2018 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1249733)
Google Translate it yourself Jackie... He gave you the link...

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Why on earth would I care how Google translates a German article when I already have two translations from native-speaking Germans? I don't question either of their translations. I'm more concerned with what Jon said in English and how accurately the reporter translated it into German. But if you insist...

Google:
Quote:

Bon Jovi: ...Nobody fired Richie. He just did not come to work anymore. He was drugged-and never returned to the band. I have not heard from Richie for three and a half years and finally replaced him...
My friend:
Quote:

... Nobody has fired Richie. He just didn't show up for work anymore. He had to go into rehab (literally drug withdrawal) - and never returned to the band. I haven't heard anything from him for three and a half years and finally replaced him ...
bonjovi90:
Quote:

... Nobody fired Richie. He just didn't show up for work anymore. He had to make a drug withdrawal - and never returned to the band again. I haven't heard from Richie in three and a half years and finally replaced him ...
So tell me, RDK, which of the following is the verbatim quote from Jon? And how do you know that's what he actually said?

"He was drugged..."? (If so, I wonder who drugged him.)

"He had to go into rehab..."? (If so, that would be a 4th trip and as you were quick to point out - on two different threads - David said three times, all accounted for.)

"He had to make a drug withdrawal..."? (If so, I wonder where one goes to withdraw drugs.)

Or would you agree that it's more likely that Jon may have said something else, more along the lines of what he said in other interviews at that time, and the reporter translated it into the German word(s) for "drug withdrawal"?

JackieBlue 12-23-2018 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleris (Post 1249741)
The closest things that come to my head would be...
4) Most recently, Tomo Milicevic of Thirty Seconds To Mars left the tour earlier this year which was announced as temporary break due to "personal reasons", but once the tour was over they confirmed that he was out of the band. The reasons are a mystery at the moment.

Wow. And doesn't that just sound stunningly familiar...

Alphavictim 12-23-2018 06:50 PM

Yes, Jon is behind yet another conspiracy / firing of a band member.

JackieBlue 12-23-2018 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1249750)
Yes, Jon is behind yet another conspiracy / firing of a band member.

Funny, that's the first thing that made me question how much of that Jon really said. If he actually said he became the fans' bogeyman or scapegoat because they thought he fired Richie, he must be suffering from a persecution complex. In 2016, there couldn't have been more than a handful of fans who even considered the idea that Richie had been fired, much less would have blamed Jon for firing him.

I don't remember any point in the last 5-1/2 years that "the fans", generally speaking, have blamed Jon for anything, other than the ones who initially thought he should have cancelled the shows or let people know up front that Richie wouldnt be back.

Walleris 12-23-2018 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieBlue (Post 1249751)
Funny, that's the first thing that made me question how much of that Jon really said. If he actually said he became the fans' bogeyman or scapegoat because they thought he fired Richie, he must be suffering from a persecution complex. In 2016, there couldn't have been more than a handful of fans who even considered the idea that Richie had been fired, much less would have blamed Jon for firing him.

I don't remember any point in the last 5-1/2 years that "the fans", generally speaking, have blamed Jon for anything, other than the ones who initially thought he should have cancelled the shows or let people know up front that Richie wouldnt be back.

I think he was referring to the general narrative from a segment of casual fans who write "bring back Richie" or "without Richie this is no Bon Jovi", etc. in the comment section under pretty much every photo the band posts on Facebook; not necessarily people you would consider "actual fans" who are much more informed on the situation.

JackieBlue 12-23-2018 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleris (Post 1249752)
I think he was referring to the general narrative from a segment of casual fans who write "bring back Richie" or "without Richie this is no Bon Jovi", etc. in the comment section under pretty much every photo the band posts on Facebook; not necessarily people you would consider "actual fans" who are much more informed on the situation.

Well, that makes more sense, then. But even so, I wonder what made them think he fired Richie? I don't recall but one of the tabloids suggesting that; and I think most of the fans rejected that theory as bogus as soon as it was posted. People thought I was nuts for comparing what he said about "sharing his art in this forum" and the "rock band isn't a life sentence" to when he said the same thing about Alec, and even suggesting the possibility that Richie had been fired. But as you say, it sounds like an entirely different group of people. Thanks for the information.

Rdkopper 12-25-2018 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieBlue (Post 1249747)
Why on earth would I care how Google translates a German article when I already have two translations from native-speaking Germans? I don't question either of their translations. I'm more concerned with what Jon said in English and how accurately the reporter translated it into German. But if you insist...

Google:

My friend:

bonjovi90:

So tell me, RDK, which of the following is the verbatim quote from Jon? And how do you know that's what he actually said?

"He was drugged..."? (If so, I wonder who drugged him.)

"He had to go into rehab..."? (If so, that would be a 4th trip and as you were quick to point out - on two different threads - David said three times, all accounted for.)

"He had to make a drug withdrawal..."? (If so, I wonder where one goes to withdraw drugs.)

Or would you agree that it's more likely that Jon may have said something else, more along the lines of what he said in other interviews at that time, and the reporter translated it into the German word(s) for "drug withdrawal"?

Who gives a shit what his EXACT words were? Of course languages don't translate word for word. It was close enough all three times... That wasn't even the point of discussion. The point of the discussion was, someone ripped on Jon for calling Richie out all of a sudden in 2018 and BonJovi90 proved from an article that Jon's been saying it since 2016 (at the very least).

That's all there is to it. You're taking this into a completely unnecessary direction.

Thinny 12-25-2018 06:13 PM

The exact words are very important because even the slightest change, one word wrong can completely change the way the sentance is perceived. It's basic english.

As Jackie pointed out, the same translation varied from Richie being drugged (if someone is drugged, someone else drugged them, so this is clearly incorrect) to drug withdrawal (which could also translate to being in rehab, but not neccesarily) to being in rehab (which is more than likely what Jon actually said)....so yes, what he actually said does indeed matter...as these can all mean completely different things...

JackieBlue 12-26-2018 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1249802)
Who gives a shit what his EXACT words were? ... That wasn't even the point of discussion. The point of the discussion was, someone ripped on Jon for calling Richie out all of a sudden in 2018 and BonJovi90 proved from an article that Jon's been saying it since 2016 (at the very least).

That's all there is to it. You're taking this into a completely unnecessary direction.

I don't know what discussion you've been having, but Jon's and David's choice of words is exactly what I've been debating all along. (Remember the whole "habits" is another word for "addictions" discussion?)

I also don't know who "ripped on Jon" for saying anything "all of a sudden", but it sure as hell wasn't me. I'm the one who's been saying (over and over) that I don't see why Jon is still yakking about Richie because he's not telling us anything different than what he told us in 2016. It's true that the message has been the same because the only thing that changes is the euphemism he uses.

Another thing that hasn't changed since 2016 is that, afaik, neither Jon nor David has directly linked Richie's addictions with why he didn't show up, in a way that doesn't require interpretation - no matter how little intelligence it takes to reach the conclusion they want people to reach.

Just to be clear, this has nothing to do with whether or not Richie's using now, or was using from 2014 til now, or what shape he was in from 2007 through 2011, or why he isn't with the band now, or if he'll be with BJ in the future.

None of that has anything to do with the question that David and Jon are supposedly answering with all their repeated implications, which is "why didn't Richie show up?"

And since 2016, my question hasn't changed: If it's true that Richie didn't show up in Calgary because of his addictions, then why won't David or Jon say that in terms that can't also refer to something else?