Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Madison Square Garden 2008 - Drums sound funny? (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70641)

bonboy25 09-22-2019 09:15 AM

Madison Square Garden 2008 - Drums sound funny?

Has anyone else thought the drums (snare) sounded funny? As in too much reverb or something? Its made the concert less enjoyable imo. Curious if anyone else has picked up on it.

BJFan99 09-22-2019 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonboy25 (Post 1258994)
Has anyone else thought the drums (snare) sounded funny? As in too much reverb or something? Its made the concert less enjoyable imo. Curious if anyone else has picked up on it.

Blame Obie for that.

He f*cked up the whole sound mix on the DVD, including Jon's vocals (WAY too upfront, which didn't sound particularly enjoyable even back then when his voice was still in good shape), Richie's guitar sound (somewhat overly compressed) and, definitely, Tico's drums (sounds like he's banging a cardboard box).

bonjovi90 09-22-2019 01:16 PM

Honestly, I don't think Obie knows how to mix a live sound. Everything is dry like in the studio, there's no concert feeling to his mixes and MSG pretty much is the top of that.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk

james_d 09-22-2019 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1258997)
Honestly, I don't think Obie knows how to mix a live sound. Everything is dry like in the studio, there's no concert feeling to his mixes and MSG pretty much is the top of that.

The recent YouTube videos are exactly the same. No reverb whatsoever and the crowd noise barely audible. Seems to defeat the point of a live video if you remove the atmosphere.

bonjovi90 09-22-2019 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james_d (Post 1258998)
The recent YouTube videos are exactly the same. No reverb whatsoever and the crowd noise barely audible. Seems to defeat the point of a live video if you remove the atmosphere.

Exactly. The peak were the live bonus tracks from the NMS when Prayer was mixed so bad that it seemed no one was singing when Jon asked them to do so.

Johny 09-22-2019 05:45 PM

This whole project was a failure. Unfotunately it'S only HD concert we've got so far.

I just don't get why they had to mess up the setlist. The structure was clearly given, just some songs were rotated. Tehy even wore the same clothes. The unnatural transition from Born To Be My Baby to Blaze Of Glory etc. Skipping Bad Name?? There isn't a different song which more staple.
I get that they could've put there only Blood On Blood or Bed Of Roses, so it's logical that one of those was in the bonus section.
It irritates everytime I watch it :)

bonjovi90 09-22-2019 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johny (Post 1259000)
This whole project was a failure. Unfotunately it'S only HD concert we've got so far.

I just don't get why they had to mess up the setlist. The structure was clearly given, just some songs were rotated. Tehy even wore the same clothes. The unnatural transition from Born To Be My Baby to Blaze Of Glory etc. Skipping Bad Name?? There isn't a different song which more staple.

I get that they could've put there only Blood On Blood or Bed Of Roses, so it's logical that one of those was in the bonus section.

It irritates everytime I watch it :)

We've had HD concerts going as far back as 2005? They were mostly live broadcasts, but they were usually mixed better. [emoji2]

Johny 09-22-2019 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1259001)
We've had HD concerts going as far back as 2005? They were mostly live broadcasts, but they were usually mixed better. [emoji2]

I meant proper BR releases.

liljovi93 09-22-2019 09:35 PM

I've never been impressed with this release.

I think the sound is poor and we had so many better 2008 shows to choose from. Setlist wise & performance. I remember being delighted after seeing the trailer for the release but being let down by the finished product.

My brother once walked into my room when I had 'Always' on and thought JBJ sounded dreadful compared to other performances. I wouldn't say it's dreadful but it's not great.

Blood On Blood is the standout performance.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

semigoodlooking 09-23-2019 01:51 PM

The band has a crappy record of official live releases. Crush DVD was another, a good setlist in my opinion but an uninspired show. Then, of course, there was the live album, truly awful considering the catalog of live material the band has.