Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What About Now revisited (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70388)

Alphavictim 07-29-2018 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky (Post 1243456)
I’ll put it this way, when I read the thread title “What about Now revisited,” my reaction was, “Do I have to?”

I thought The Circle was the only album you really didn't like?

bonjovi90 07-29-2018 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1243451)
I don't think it was all about Jon trying to make money to buy his football team as most people insinuated...

For a guy worth anywhere between a half and full billion, the 20 million he'd make from the tour meant nothing... Jon was scouting out teams way before WAN anyway...

As we learned with Burning Bridges, Jon's contract was up in 2015 and by the end of the greatest hits tour in 2011, Jon had four years to get out 2 albums and 2 tours...

I think WAN was done in a panic and not necessarily about money... It's almost certain to think that THINFS would have been the album after and BB would have never happened if Jon's record deal was instantly renewed...

In reality THINFS was done and ready to go in 2015... It was just as rushed as WAN... When the record company screwed Jon over, he held the album back and gave them BB... It was after that, Shanks went back and retweaked the production even finer...

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Of course he was scouting for teams before and had been interested in things like that, but the bid to buy the Buffalo Bills simply got the better of him in 2012.

Sure he has a net worth of 300-400 million, but that doesn't mean that he had all the money needed available to bid for the team's ownership. And I'm certain that Dorothea also put in a veto in terms of him using all family savings for something like that.

So money had to come in and hindsight it all adds up perfectly. Near the end of the 2011 tour, Jon had said that they'd all take a break for some time and that's why Richie was gearing up for the solo record. As we learned in hindsight, Richie had to switch between NJ and LA to work on both records and WAN had effectively been done before Aftermath of the Lowdown. Furthermore, Tico declined to play on demos in late 2011 because Jon had broken the promise of a break and he didn't have the motivation to go back again.
The tour was essentially sold and promoted (ticket sales started in Novemeber 2012) before there was a single, let alone an album, being ready to build upon. They've never done this before or after since it strategically doesn't make too much sense. If I remember correctly, even the first leg had quite a number of shows played before the album was even launched. Yet again, this was due to the time pressure. Once an album is ready, record company executives start to set up a strategy for marketing, promotion and distribution. That takes some time and waiting wasn't an option. If we think back, we all bought our tickets not knowing what kind of album/musical direction was to come. And the tour itself had a gruelling schedule as well. Where TC tour had been spread over the course of 18 months, they visited all the places here within 10 months (USA arena & stadium, Europe, Asia, Australia). Even for Bon Jovi standards that was enormous and effectively a suicide ride. But then again, money had to be there by the end of 2013/start of 2014 because that was when the bid to buy the team was just around the corner.

Also, the album itself shows it was rushed. Not only due to the songs sounding like having been at a demo stage, as some here have pointed out. With all the other recent albums, you can somewhere sense why they were written and what was the creative force behind it. The personal turmoils on Lost Highway, the current political and econmical state on The Circle. Even if songs like Born To Follow or Working Man are dreaded among the most, it's clear where they came from. This House also was very clearly about Jon working off on his demons from the past 2 years.
In 2013 interviews, Jon said that they had to put out WAN now, because it captured the current polticial and economical situation and it only fit at this specific moment in time. Yet I don't hear that in any song anywhere on the album.

And the record contract expiring doesn't add up either. Yeah, it was up in 2015 and I personally doubt that they would've been obliged to give them 3 albums in 3 years to start with. Even if that was the case, the next studio album could've been released easily in 2014. And I'm pretty sure that had been the plan any way. In 2011, there had been talks of roughly 2 years of a break. So they would have gathered back up in 2013 and the album would've been released in 2014. For 2013, the New Jersey special addition had probably been planned since that was the year of album's 25th anniversary. Putting it out 26 years after its original launch didn't add up.

We'll never know the full truth, but there's too much that adds up to the theory that he wanted to play in the big money league and needed x amount of money from a world tour on a short notice to do so. Otherwise, risking all that came with it (and he could've seen this coming) would've just been idiotic.

Captain_jovi 07-29-2018 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1243466)
Of course he was scouting for teams before and had been interested in things like that, but the bid to buy the Buffalo Bills simply got the better of him in 2012.

Sure he has a net worth of 300-400 million, but that doesn't mean that he had all the money needed available to bid for the team's ownership. And I'm certain that Dorothea also put in a veto in terms of him using all family savings for something like that.

So money had to come in and hindsight it all adds up perfectly. Near the end of the 2011 tour, Jon had said that they'd all take a break for some time and that's why Richie was gearing up for the solo record. As we learned in hindsight, Richie had to switch between NJ and LA to work on both records and WAN had effectively been done before Aftermath of the Lowdown. Furthermore, Tico declined to play on demos in late 2011 because Jon had broken the promise of a break and he didn't have the motivation to go back again.
The tour was essentially sold and promoted (ticket sales started in Novemeber 2012) before there was a single, let alone an album, being ready to build upon. They've never done this before or after since it strategically doesn't make too much sense. If I remember correctly, even the first leg had quite a number of shows played before the album was even launched. Yet again, this was due to the time pressure. Once an album is ready, record company executives start to set up a strategy for marketing, promotion and distribution. That takes some time and waiting wasn't an option. If we think back, we all bought our tickets not knowing what kind of album/musical direction was to come. And the tour itself had a gruelling schedule as well. Where TC tour had been spread over the course of 18 months, they visited all the places here within 10 months (USA arena & stadium, Europe, Asia, Australia). Even for Bon Jovi standards that was enormous and effectively a suicide ride. But then again, money had to be there by the end of 2013/start of 2014 because that was when the bid to buy the team was just around the corner.

Also, the album itself shows it was rushed. Not only due to the songs sounding like having been at a demo stage, as some here have pointed out. With all the other recent albums, you can somewhere sense why they were written and what was the creative force behind it. The personal turmoils on Lost Highway, the current political and econmical state on The Circle. Even if songs like Born To Follow or Working Man are dreaded among the most, it's clear where they came from. This House also was very clearly about Jon working off on his demons from the past 2 years.
In 2013 interviews, Jon said that they had to put out WAN now, because it captured the current polticial and economical situation and it only fit at this specific moment in time. Yet I don't hear that in any song anywhere on the album.

And the record contract expiring doesn't add up either. Yeah, it was up in 2015 and I personally doubt that they would've been obliged to give them 3 albums in 3 years to start with. Even if that was the case, the next studio album could've been released easily in 2014. And I'm pretty sure that had been the plan any way. In 2011, there had been talks of roughly 2 years of a break. So they would have gathered back up in 2013 and the album would've been released in 2014. For 2013, the New Jersey special addition had probably been planned since that was the year of album's 25th anniversary. Putting it out 26 years after its original launch didn't add up.

We'll never know the full truth, but there's too much that adds up to the theory that he wanted to play in the big money league and needed x amount of money from a world tour on a short notice to do so. Otherwise, risking all that came with it (and he could've seen this coming) would've just been idiotic.

Dead. Frigging. On.

liljovi93 07-30-2018 01:13 AM

Quote:

What a post.

Spot on!

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Rdkopper 07-30-2018 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1243467)
Dead. Frigging. On.

Figures...

Rdkopper 07-30-2018 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liljovi93 (Post 1243468)
What a post.

Spot on!

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Why? Cause it was long?

Rdkopper 07-30-2018 01:38 AM

Quote:

And I'm certain that Dorothea also put in a veto in terms of him using all family savings for something like that.

Oh Really, Dorothea is now in charge of Jon's Investments? I'm sorry but I'm not buying the fact that the BWC Tour was the deal breaker with his NFL Investment... He wasn't bidding alone and had other partners as well.

And no it doesn't add up in theory! Explain why he needed to rush an album/tour by 6 months to earn 20 million dollars quicker for a team he never had in the first place? The last studio album came out in 2009. 2013 is 4 years later (3 and a half since TC's release). They were due for a new album. I think he was getting pressure from the label.

Your other 4 paragraphs are fillers and nothing more than you filling in a timeline that we all agree with... Thanks for copy and pasting from Wikipedia!!! Yes, the albums was rushed!!! We all know it however someone (I believe it was Shanks) put out some behind the scenes footage showing that more time and effort went into that album then most want to believe...

I'm still sticking with my theory. Jon owed 2 albums and 2 tours by the end of 2015. And I'm even going one step further stating that THINFS would have been released in 2015 if he didn't have record company turmoil. Burning Bridges would have never happened. The song Burning Bridges would have never been written. I also think THINFS would have been rushed too and it would have been a combo of BB, THINFS, and some of those demos from THINFS... They held it back for a year, Shanks reproduced it. WDR is a perfect example of the before and after.

Finally, You don't even know what kind of record deal he had. He could have gotten paid upfront and was only receiving a small royalty fee from each tour for all you know...

bonjovi90 07-30-2018 01:46 AM

You're always sticking with your theories and if you want so, do that. But stop acting like they're the truth and nothing but that.
Makes discussions with you absolutely pointless.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk

Rdkopper 07-30-2018 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1243473)
You're always sticking with your theories and if you want so, do that. But stop acting like they're the truth and nothing but that.
Makes discussions with you absolutely pointless.

My theories are based on facts...

Jon signed a multi album record deal... Fact... BB albums and tour was a Record Company fulfilment. Fact... Jon rushing an album and tour to raise money to buy a team he never had in the first place doesn't add up. Fact... Jon having other partners and investors. Fact...

I'm just filling in the blanks brother...

Your theory about Dorothea's veto is so far out there, I need to debunk it.. Sorry!!!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

bonjovi90 07-30-2018 02:39 AM

None of your facts interfere with what I've written. Burning Bridges being a contractual obligation has nothing to do with What About Note being shoved down everyone's throat in 2013.

And yes, if you aspire to buy something, you usually save up money before owning it. And if you're talking about multi-million dollar packages it's no different. No matter if it's about TV rights, superstar players, sponsorships or buying teams. These offers have to be rock solid and the money has to be there beforehand. Jon can't just go and say "fine, I got the deal, I'll go and earn the money within the next two years, wait for me". That's nonsense and no one would've partnered with him then.

And who are you to debunk any theory here? Dorothea is the boss at home, Jon has hinted at that on numerous occasions. He's also been quoted saying that she has kicked his ass on a regular basis (direct quote in the book "In their own words"). In 2017, he said about their upcoming tour that he had told her he was gonna do some shows just to make money to which she had replied that that's a shitty reason and he rethought his attitude.
The same way I can very much imagine him telling her that he wanted to spend x amount on the football team and her flat out saying that he had to go out and earn that because family savings for the kids etc. wouldn't be touched for such an adventure. Happens in all families.
That's called common sense.

I'm fine with you not agreeing on this, but stop attacking others for thinking outside the box and bringing up theories that don't match yours. No one wants a Trump in here.