Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   NBJ - Everything Else (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   10 Years! (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=54096)

DevilsSon 08-09-2012 03:27 PM

10 Years!

...it just struck me, that I've been posting on Jovitalk for more than 10 years. That's ****in' insane. I don't think there's anything else in my life I've done with such regularity for such a long period of time. Nothing!

Not sure what that says about me, but it sure does say a lot about this place, and the people here.

Anyhow, just got nostalgic and stuff! Here's to more years:

Kathleen 08-09-2012 04:00 PM

It's about the same for me. I think the Bounce webcast was in Aug or Sept of 2002. I came here from the old Bruce board and never left. At the time you didn't even need to have an account to post which is why I didn't actually join until early 2003.

I have to say it was a good choice on my part. I have met some wonderful people and had some good times. And sometimes the music has been awesome too :p

Dave 1986 08-09-2012 08:04 PM

I'll be hitting that milestone at the end of the month!

I don't even remember joining, or how and why. I've not been a regular poster but I've checked in regularly ever since. Time goes way to fast.:eek:

This was my first ever (embarrassing) thread;

https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/bon-j...-stadium-t997/

Nige 08-09-2012 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave 1986 (Post 1087044)
I'll be hitting that milestone at the end of the month!

Same here! Where does the time go?!?!?!?

bjcrazycpa 08-09-2012 08:28 PM

Same for me well on August 30th...cannot believe it's been 10 years!!

ticos_stick 08-10-2012 12:55 AM

Where's my prize?

DevilsSon 08-10-2012 03:52 PM

Can't believe I am the 'oldest' around here :D
I think the webcast was middle of September. God, I remember thinking 'What the hell is Shepherd Bush Empire. What place has such a name?' and now I see gigs there regularly.

It's funny, just to think back what happened in this time:

- have seen 10 Bon Jovi concerts
- graduated from high school, from undergrad, and did a masters degree
- moved between 8 cities (I think!), in 5 countries, on 3 continents
- started and ended 5 relationships
- moved from wearing ripped jeans and leather to shirts and ties
...what ****in' not actually. It feels like an entire lifetime.

Maybe this quote makes some sense somewhere:
"‎Bon Jovi's music stopped speaking to me sometime in the 90's. Truth be told, though, maybe we just grew apart. Like the girls used to say: ''It's not you. It's me.'' I eventually gave up on the desperate throes of youthful passion and graduated to different, if not altogether more satisfying, music. Bon Jovi was the soundtrack of high school, Chunky chicken soup for the sophomore soul. It spoke to the rock stars we had planned to become rather than the accountants or programmers or baristas we became."

Yup, maybe that's the explanation for so much bitching at Bon Jovi :D We're just growing old!

Captain Walrus 08-10-2012 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsSon (Post 1087084)
Can't believe I am the 'oldest' around here :D
I think the webcast was middle of September. God, I remember thinking 'What the hell is Shepherd Bush Empire. What place has such a name?' and now I see gigs there regularly.

It's funny, just to think back what happened in this time:

- have seen 10 Bon Jovi concerts
- graduated from high school, from undergrad, and did a masters degree
- moved between 8 cities (I think!), in 5 countries, on 3 continents
- started and ended 5 relationships
- moved from wearing ripped jeans and leather to shirts and ties
...what ****in' not actually. It feels like an entire lifetime.

Maybe this quote makes some sense somewhere:
"‎Bon Jovi's music stopped speaking to me sometime in the 90's. Truth be told, though, maybe we just grew apart. Like the girls used to say: ''It's not you. It's me.'' I eventually gave up on the desperate throes of youthful passion and graduated to different, if not altogether more satisfying, music. Bon Jovi was the soundtrack of high school, Chunky chicken soup for the sophomore soul. It spoke to the rock stars we had planned to become rather than the accountants or programmers or baristas we became."

Yup, maybe that's the explanation for so much bitching at Bon Jovi :D We're just growing old!

Tell me about it man, 10 years ago I'd never seen Bon Jovi, or any gig at all for that matter! I'd never been in a relationship, never been drunk, never had a job (other than a paper round), never lived by myself and was just generally such a different person to what I am now. Now I've seen Bon Jovi 9 times and seen countless other bands too, am engaged, have been drunk a million times, have had a number of jobs and lived with friends and my girlfriend ... and it's pretty bizarre to think that Jovitalk has been one of the only constants through all that!

Captain Walrus 08-10-2012 11:22 PM

Also, I would have been on the new Jovitalk earlier but was on holiday when it switched over ... bit of a surprise when I came back!

Thomas Anderson 08-10-2012 11:53 PM

My God; has it been that long? I remember when this was all farm-land as far as the eye could see...

Becky 08-11-2012 01:51 AM

Remember the old board? Did we all have to register when the new board arrived or did our usernames and passwords filter over? I think some of us have been around longer than 10 years and it's just this board that's been up for 10 years. But I could be wrong.

Kathleen 08-11-2012 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky (Post 1087107)
Remember the old board? Did we all have to register when the new board arrived or did our usernames and passwords filter over? I think some of us have been around longer than 10 years and it's just this board that's been up for 10 years. But I could be wrong.

We had to register with a username and password in order to post on the old board Becky. Sometime in 2003 (I think) is when that occurred. That would have been Jovitalk 2. This board is (I believe) Jovitalk 3 and the switch happened sometime in 2005.

Arash 08-11-2012 10:53 AM

hey! :) just dropped to say hello in the old members post.

Captain Walrus 08-11-2012 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathleen (Post 1087108)
We had to register with a username and password in order to post on the old board Becky. Sometime in 2003 (I think) is when that occurred. That would have been Jovitalk 2. This board is (I believe) Jovitalk 3 and the switch happened sometime in 2005.

It was 2002, in July I think, and yeah we did all have to register rather than just post. And thus, before MySpace and Facebook, the first website to eat hours of my precious time was born!

Becky 08-11-2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Walrus (Post 1087117)
It was 2002, in July I think, and yeah we did all have to register rather than just post. And thus, before MySpace and Facebook, the first website to eat hours of my precious time was born!

I think the old board was here as far back as 1998 (or earlier) because that's when I got a computer and internet access and I swear I've been posting on Dry County as long as I can remember having a computer. These things sort of become a blur over time though. ;)

DevilsSon 08-11-2012 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky (Post 1087118)
I think the old board was here as far back as 1998 (or earlier) because that's when I got a computer and internet access and I swear I've been posting on Dry County as long as I can remember having a computer. These things sort of become a blur over time though. ;)

You're right. I remember visiting the website way before I was a member. And then Jovitalk was born and I registered immediately but I think I only started posting a couple of weeks later.

And Paul - you're so right with the pre-facebook days! This was like THE website...this and all the crazy IRC chat networks, if anyone remembers those. Things do change in 10 years. A lot!

UKjovi 08-20-2012 04:27 PM

Just over 9 years for me, although I never thought I'd still be coming here back then. It's changed a lot though.

Jim Bon Jovi 08-21-2012 01:24 AM

Quote:

That sounds about right. Maybe even 97. I've definitely been lingering around here since my early teens.

Scary how time flies.

C'monFeet 08-21-2012 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsSon (Post 1087035)
I don't think there's anything else in my life I've done with such regularity for such a long period of time. Nothing! [/url]

I suggest your penis might disagree with you.

RyanBounce04 08-21-2012 02:13 AM

10 years is unbelievable. Funny how life changes so much. Been a blessing for a very long time! And I don't think you are the oldest Devil!

Ryan

Yvonne 08-23-2012 01:52 AM

Time certainly flies when you're having fun.... Met some great people through this site, well through this band in general, 10 more years??? Lets hope so!

DevilsSon 08-23-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyanBounce04 (Post 1087566)
10 years is unbelievable. Funny how life changes so much. Been a blessing for a very long time! And I don't think you are the oldest Devil!

Ryan

Well, C'monFeet seems to be one day older now. So you and I are the 2nd oldest, officially speaking :P

Becky 08-24-2012 02:25 AM

I did a member search by join date. The first five members were peter (of course), Anonymous, Sara, Mike, and Bleeding Purist. You're on page 3 of the list DevilsSon.

DevilsSon 08-24-2012 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky (Post 1087682)
I did a member search by join date. The first five members were peter (of course), Anonymous, Sara, Mike, and Bleeding Purist. You're on page 3 of the list DevilsSon.

I only meant people posting in this thread, Becky. But thanks for looking me up. Page 3 is pretty good :D

Becky 08-25-2012 02:13 AM

No problem. I thought you'd like to know!

Lisa71 08-25-2012 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky (Post 1087107)

I was on the old board too. It was back in 1998 because same as you, as soon as I got the internet, I searched for anything on Jovi and the board was one of the things that got my attention. Changed my usernames a few times since but I've been here ever since. I can still see of the old names.

Does Peter ever post on this board?

Mousebounce 08-26-2012 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yvonne (Post 1087648)
Time certainly flies when you're having fun.... Met some great people through this site, well through this band in general, 10 more years??? Lets hope so!

I concur! :)

Thomas Anderson 08-26-2012 11:06 AM

I, for one, have met some of my best friends through this board; I know many others have too. I'm certainly very grateful to Peter for creating the site and to everyone here for making it such a great community.

Dave 1986 08-31-2012 11:15 PM

10 years and 3 days! Can't think of much else to say. :p

Iceman 09-01-2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

Yeah, there used to be a board that didn't require you to register. And befor that there was a pen-pal -thingy, I think this was in -95 or -96. That was the first time I came here.

I registered for this "new" board sometime in the late 2002, because, like Kathleen said, you didn't need to register, you saw everyhting without logging in, so I didn't bother.

Ice

Bleeding Purist 09-02-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky (Post 1087682)

:D

I always knew..that I liked this place.

crashed 09-03-2012 11:50 PM

I actually met my first fiancee on the pen-pal thing. That was in 2000, just before Crush was released.

I used to spend all day in my office in a bowling alley on this site rather than doing any work.

Seems we've all been hanging around awhile :p

afk 09-05-2012 05:42 AM

I remember posting way before 2000. Don't remember my old username and i only come on here once in a while.
Anyone here remember the bonjovi.com chat room?

Iceman 09-05-2012 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afk (Post 1088764)
I remember posting way before 2000. Don't remember my old username and i only come on here once in a while.
Anyone here remember the bonjovi.com chat room?

Yeah, I used to frequent the chat when Crush was being recorded. I actually put up a page where frequent chatters presented themselves with pictures and such. BJTV was fun back then, when they actually did live chats with us after a studio day.

Ice

afk 09-05-2012 09:11 AM

Yeah and it was free! Was your username Iceman in the chat too?

Kathleen 09-05-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleeding Purist (Post 1088481)
:D

I always knew..that I liked this place.

I guess I was slow last week - just got this <groan>

Iceman 09-06-2012 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afk (Post 1088776)
Yeah and it was free! Was your username Iceman in the chat too?

Yes.

Ice

midnite ridah 09-12-2012 05:52 PM

It's been ten years, since I've been to a Jovi gig, and five years since I've logged into here. I've bought the albums but haven't really liked one since TD. News of Richie's album brought me out of the woodwork only to find that the tour is sold out. I want to go to the London gig but can't justify the price tickets are goin for on Ebay.:mad:
Tempted to go for the New York gig and make a holiday out of it.
Does anyone reckon there will be another UK date released?

Mongoose 09-17-2012 12:25 AM

Petey is too busy to post himself anymore hehe, we're just lucky he hasn't shut the place down

Neurotica80 10-10-2012 11:13 PM

Well I've been here 10 years next month, have made some amazing friendS and enjoyed some great memories with ppl from this board. Ie first London meet up in 2004 non Jovi touring year, Dusseldorf 06, planet hollywood 08 after Twickers, 3 nights at NWS (major thanks to Kathleen and Jersey Paul for that) Lisbon 2011 (biggest ever meet up to watch the show with I think) there's more I'm sure but overall I'm glad I joined 😃