Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Bon Jovi and Aldo Nova (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=55373)

Rdkopper 04-09-2013 03:07 AM

Bon Jovi and Aldo Nova

I know there are a bunch of these topics floating around but ...... check out Aldo's facebook page. There are a bunch of cool pics and stories about him and Jon from '91.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Aldo-Nova/531242150240050

He also posted an unreleased demo that him and Jon wrote form Blood On The Bricks. You can download the MP3 from his page. Just right click it...

Dance of the Dead - Aldo Nova/Jon Bon Jovi Blood demo 1990:

http://f.cl.ly/items/0P2h3Q3D3f380r3...emo%201990.mp3

Blood on the Bricks ,(Trivia about song and Video)
First off this song was written by myself and Jon Bon Jovi,at his house in Rumson New Jersey,and it was also about this time that Jon was starting to write his Young Guns 2 soundtrack.We sat down in one of the bedrooms upstairs and I had my guitar in my hands and Jon was sitting to my left on a chair with a note pad.He started by saying that the gang wars in L.A. were really getting out of hand and it would be cool if we were to write something describing a night in the Barrio recreating the tension that reigned in the streets of L.A. night after night.
Right away he thought of the title Blood on the Bricks.I loved it and then of course the music part was left up to me,where Jon would only describe a mood,and I would have to come up with the proper chord sequence to match the image.I then went home and did an elaborate demo,which is 95% identical to the finished album track.
On a funnier note though.While we were in the room writing,Jon had been trying to lose weight and was drinking these Slim Fast shakes.So he was fartig constantly,and so much that when his wife Dorothea entered the room to give us drinks,almost fell on her face,and offered to make me a Slim Fast shake so that i could rival her husband in Flatulence.
She brewed one up for me,and then this led me to brew some up for Jon and so on and so forth.HAHAHA(LOL)
The video was shot in two different locations.One location where you see the band performing the song,and then on another day they shot all the gang stuff.
The director was Wayne Isham,who is famous for all the big Bon Jovi and Metallica videos,and he was good,but i don't think he took me very seriously though and only did the videos because of his relationship with Jon.Not to mention he charged an arm and a leg.
I was in a hotel room in L.A. the first time they sent me a cut of this and remember not getting it at first,but then finally grasping Wayne's vision.

angelsambo 04-09-2013 03:26 AM

Aldo Nova Interview where he talks of how he got to arrange and do the Blaze of Glory demo and Album

DestinationJovi 04-09-2013 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1120986)
On a funnier note though.While we were in the room writing,Jon had been trying to lose weight and was drinking these Slim Fast shakes.So he was fartig constantly,and so much that when his wife Dorothea entered the room to give us drinks,almost fell on her face,and offered to make me a Slim Fast shake so that i could rival her husband in Flatulence.
She brewed one up for me,and then this led me to brew some up for Jon and so on and so forth.HAHAHA(LOL)

That part makes http://www.drycounty.com/jovitalk/sh...&postcount=867 even more hysterical!

Rdkopper 04-09-2013 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelsambo (Post 1120992)
Aldo Nova Interview where he talks of how he got to arrange and do the Blaze of Glory demo and Album

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCzQwIFxxxE

Very Cool! Never Saw That! BTY, he's def on something!

Does anyone know if Jon wrote on the Demos from Blood On The Bricks?

Desire
Burn Like The Sun
The Mission
Hanging On A Heartbeat
Hey Johnny
Little Wild Ones

Alphavictim 04-09-2013 04:44 AM

This is the guy that should be playing second guitar in Bon Jovi due to some "loyalty" shit and what not. He played on Runaway and he's a blazing player.

Captain_jovi 04-09-2013 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1121011)
This is the guy that should be playing second guitar in Bon Jovi due to some "loyalty" shit and what not. He played on Runaway and he's a blazing player.

I don't think that's right, it was Tim Pierce that played on Runaway.

EDIT: Damn RD, nice find, if you scroll down he posted the original cassette demo of Blaze. Looks like Jon and Aldo have had a falling out since '98.

Nige 04-09-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1121040)
EDIT: Damn RD, nice find, if you scroll down he posted the original cassette demo of Blaze.

Any chance of a link to this....I couldn't find it...?

The Northern Cowboy 04-09-2013 10:50 AM

That was a gold mine for Aldo Nova demos. Nice find, especially the Blaze of Glory demo.

The Northern Cowboy 04-09-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nige (Post 1121073)

Go to the Facebook page link and keep scrolling down.

EDIT: There's also an audience recording of Aldo and Jon doing Blaze of Glory. The audio sucks ass, but damn those vocals...

ezearis 04-09-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DestinationJovi (Post 1120995)
That part makes http://www.drycounty.com/jovitalk/sh...&postcount=867 even more hysterical!

Now we know why Richie left the band!

Rumen 04-09-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nige (Post 1121073)

Here you go:
http://f.cl.ly/items/2y0v231S3p2v2H1...%20Bonjovi.mp3

Aldo Nova:

Blaze of Glory 1st time ever recorded acoustic version Aldo nova/Jon Bon Jovi into a cassette recorder 1990
Hi there from the man who never sleepsHAHAHA! I gonna share something that's never been heard before and that even Jon didn't know existed.Sorry but I'm in the recording too so too bad.

On Wikidedia when you go to Blaze of Glory the song,Jon tells the story o how the first time he played the song was in the desert to Emilio Estevez and John Frusco and they took it right there on the spot.

I'm afraid that's not true.You see as you'll hear from this recording that no one in the world but me has,it that the first time the song was recorded after it was written,was in Jon's office in his house in Rumson N.J. You can tell that Jon is the real deal 'cause his voice is remarkable even in one take in a cssette recorder. You hear Jon,on vox and that's me on guitar,and during the second half you actually hear me coming up with the intro riff that is the trademark of the song,even though i never got a writer's credit for it.Don't get me wrong Jon was always kind and generous with me,but as you'll se it's me and Jon alone on that tape,and there's no Emilio or director there,and we're certainly not in the desert.

Enjoy HAHAHA(LOL)

ezearis 04-09-2013 12:10 PM

I love the need of this guy to clarify that "HAHAHAHAHAHAHA" equals "LOL".

Rumen 04-09-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Looks like Jon and Aldo have had a falling out since '98.

Aldo, March 18th, 2013:

You know I may have some grapes about Jon Bon Jovi, but deep down I love the guy like a brother. Nuff Said. Leave the past in the past.

Rumen 04-09-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1120986)
He also posted an unreleased demo that him and Jon wrote form Blood On The Bricks. You can download the MP3 from his page. Just right click it...

Jon's band Bangalore Choir (Curt Mitchell on guitar and David L. Reece on vocals) with "their" song Doin The Dance:

BTW, their first album On Target rocks :)

ezearis 04-09-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rumen (Post 1121094)
Aldo, March 18th, 2013:

You know I may have some grapes about Jon Bon Jovi, but deep down I love the guy like a brother. Nuff Said. Leave the past in the past.

What happenned between them? Also, thanks for the Blaze of Glory demo link.

Beaky 04-09-2013 01:58 PM

Brilliant thread... lovely, juicy links...

I think we all know by now that Jon is somewhat liberal with the truth, especially when it comes to his memory for certain events. We all are, I guess but with him, there's a lot more focus on it.

Poor old Aldo... a cautionary tale for Bobby here, me thinks.

Rdkopper 04-09-2013 03:18 PM

- We need someone to try and clean both, the demo and audience recordings of Blaze. Those are treasures of gold esp the demo.

- Also if you are a fan of Blood On The Bricks and are interested in the collaboration between Aldo & Jon, here is what I gathered per song.

Of the 10 album tracks Jon wrote on 9 of them and produced the entire album. Bright Lights was the only track Jon didn't write on which becomes clean when you listen to it.

1.Blood on the Bricks
2.Medicine Man
3.Bang Bang
4.Someday
5.Young Love
6.Modern World
7.This Ain't Love
8.Hey Ronnie (Veronica's Song)
9.Touch of Madness
10.Bright Lights - Aldo Nova

Of the unofficial released demos, I confirmed that Jon wrote on at least 2 of the demos that didn't make the final album. Burn Like The Sun & Hey Johnny. You could listen to Burn Like The Sun here:

http://muzofon.com/search/Aldo%20Nova

The rest of the demos are in circulation and I'll try to snatch the rest up today. My guess is that the Bright Lights Big City demo version becomes the Bright Lights album version and Hey Johnny turned into Hey Ronnie but I'll confirm both later.

Being that these are all demos, none of them have been produced (by Jon) yet. You hear the more rawness to each song. Personally, I like the Bon Jovi sound.

http://kissmar.blogspot.com/2011/03/...emos-1991.html

Bang Bang
Desire
Burn Like The Sun - Jon
The Mission
Hanging On A Heartbeat
Hey Johnny - Jon
Little Wild Ones
Bright Lights Big City

Here is another great link that I used to confirm that both Burn Like The Sun & Hey Johnny were written with Jon. It's from The Songwriters Hall Of Fame but I'm not sure if it's complete. I'll go through it with a fine tooth comb later. However those were the only 2 songs listed from the demos.

http://songwritershalloffame.org/ind...ed/C6013/P200/

Finally, we also go the newest unreleased demo from Aldo's FB Page. This was also a bonus track on the Japanese edition.

Alphavictim 04-09-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

I don't think that's right, it was Tim Pierce that played on Runaway.

Damn, you're right. He was just thanked for "additional guitar, additional keyboards", which could mean anything, given he probably had a lot more studio experience than the rest of the band (session players excluded).

Rdkopper 04-09-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1121129)

Bang Bang
Desire
Burn Like The Sun - Jon
The Mission
Hanging On A Heartbeat
Hey Johnny - Jon
Little Wild Ones
Bright Lights Big City

Here are 5 out of the 8 demos (4 on this one link, 1 on Youtube:)
http://muzofon.com/search/Aldo%20Nova%20demo

Hey Johnny is in fact Hey Ronnie with alt lyrics. It's got Jon's writing all over it. The Demo is a love song from Aldo to Jon. What's interesting here is, it shows you how the song and lyrics transformed to be about a guy and a girl when you listen to the final version of Hey Ronnie. It kinda shows you inside their writing process.

Some lyrics:

You were 19, I was 25 when I saw you for the first time....
I met you at the station....
You were singing about the Runaway, I was almost #1

Still 3 remaining to be found:

Bright Lights Big City - I confirmed that it is on the album as Bright Lights
Desire & The Mission - I don't believe Jon had a hand in writing thse

Nige 04-09-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rumen (Post 1121089)
Here you go:
http://f.cl.ly/items/2y0v231S3p2v2H1...%20Bonjovi.mp3

Aldo Nova:

Blaze of Glory 1st time ever recorded acoustic version Aldo nova/Jon Bon Jovi into a cassette recorder 1990
Hi there from the man who never sleepsHAHAHA! I gonna share something that's never been heard before and that even Jon didn't know existed.Sorry but I'm in the recording too so too bad.

On Wikidedia when you go to Blaze of Glory the song,Jon tells the story o how the first time he played the song was in the desert to Emilio Estevez and John Frusco and they took it right there on the spot.

I'm afraid that's not true.You see as you'll hear from this recording that no one in the world but me has,it that the first time the song was recorded after it was written,was in Jon's office in his house in Rumson N.J. You can tell that Jon is the real deal 'cause his voice is remarkable even in one take in a cssette recorder. You hear Jon,on vox and that's me on guitar,and during the second half you actually hear me coming up with the intro riff that is the trademark of the song,even though i never got a writer's credit for it.Don't get me wrong Jon was always kind and generous with me,but as you'll se it's me and Jon alone on that tape,and there's no Emilio or director there,and we're certainly not in the desert.

Enjoy HAHAHA(LOL)

Cheers-you star :D

Supersonic 04-09-2013 09:06 PM

Aloha !

Very cool topic with lots of information, cheers for posting. Also proves how Jon certainly didn't write everything himself like I suggested many times before. If anything this is the perfect proof how Jon's messed around with songwriting credits over the years just to be able that he wrote it himself.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Pstmatt 04-09-2013 10:33 PM

The former Sambora, Such and Dean Fasano band Message rereleased the early 80's album "Lessons" on CD in 2000. It contains the orginal "Lessons" album and a few bonus tracks. Two of which were newly recorded. The Nova and Jovi penned "Medicine Man" and "Dance Of the Dead". Usually found on ebay pretty easily. Also, Message put out an album in 1998 called "Fine Line" which has "Hey Jonny" and a pretty cool cover of "Fields Of Fire". Also pretty easily found on ebay.

Pstmatt 04-09-2013 10:41 PM

Actually now that I listen to the "Hey Jonny" demo, the version on the Message album while called "Hey Jonny" is lyrically "Hey Ronnie". Damn, that "Hey Jonny" demo is kinda sad! lol

DestinationJovi 04-10-2013 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rumen (Post 1121089)

This is fantastic! Nice find, thanks!

Rdkopper 04-10-2013 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pstmatt (Post 1121246)
The former Sambora, Such and Dean Fasano band Message rereleased the early 80's album "Lessons" on CD in 2000. It contains the orginal "Lessons" album and a few bonus tracks. Two of which were newly recorded. The Nova and Jovi penned "Medicine Man" and "Dance Of the Dead". Usually found on ebay pretty easily. Also, Message put out an album in 1998 called "Fine Line" which has "Hey Jonny" and a pretty cool cover of "Fields Of Fire". Also pretty easily found on ebay.

I don't understand this part? What's going on with "Medicine Man" and "Dance Of the Dead"? It's on the rereleased Message album?

Rdkopper 04-10-2013 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pstmatt (Post 1121248)
Damn, that "Hey Jonny" demo is kinda sad! lol

I'm glad I'm not the only one?

Pstmatt 04-10-2013 01:41 AM

Yes. On the Message album "Lessons" both Medicine Man and Dance of the Dead are on there. There were two versions released on CD in 2000 one with a black cover and one with a white cover. I have the balck cover one and they are both on there. They are Tracks 1 and 2 and clearly new recordings cause the sound quality is waaaay better than the rest of the album that dates back to 1981 (i think)...was a cool pickup as Richie plays guitar on the album and wrote 2 of the the songs. I guess Dean Fasano was a fan of Aldo Nova, as I cant imagine why else he would choose to cover two obscure songs like this. It's obviously not the original Message band playing on them.

Becky 04-10-2013 02:02 AM

Can someone post the lyrics to Hey Jonny? My antivirus won't let me open the link because it's "dangerous."

Never mind... I got it.

Rdkopper 04-10-2013 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky (Post 1121294)
Can someone post the lyrics to Hey Jonny? My antivirus won't let me open the link because it's "dangerous."

Becky, This is one of the greatest songs. You have to get it to work.

Pstmatt 04-10-2013 02:14 AM

It is kinda cool and sad for the guy! I mean damn! Call the guy back! lol Aldos got some pretty big songwriting credits to his credit over the years. Including a few hits for Celine Dion.

I did always wonder wny the Message version was called "Hey Jonny" but had the exact same lyrics as "Hey Ronnie".

The demo kinda makes the lyric in "Ronnie" version a little more depressing..."My Dream of being Elvis all but passed me by..."

Captain_jovi 04-10-2013 09:07 AM

I love love love Hey Ronnie but Hey Jonny...I just don't get it. He wrote it about losing touch with Jon for an album Jon produced? How much older is the demo than everything else?

As to what Seb was saying, I think it depends on the project. While there are certainly songs Jon attaches his name to that he had little to do with, this album ain't one of them. So many turns of phrase and chord changes that are pure JBJ.

Rdkopper 04-10-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1121330)
I love love love Hey Ronnie but Hey Jonny...I just don't get it. He wrote it about losing touch with Jon for an album Jon produced? How much older is the demo than everything else?

As to what Seb was saying, I think it depends on the project. While there are certainly songs Jon attaches his name to that he had little to do with, this album ain't one of them. So many turns of phrase and chord changes that are pure JBJ.

I think Hey Johnny is more personal so therefore makes a better song. They met at 'The Station' when Jon was 19 so that brings us to 1981 - 82. Once Jon hit it big with Slippery and Jersey, he forgot all about his best friend Until 8 / 9 / 10 years later.

I think the song writing is pretty cool here because they wrote about realiy and turned it into fiction. The Station which is the Power Station turns into a Gas Station during Hey Ronnie. Who knows, everyone wants to believe that IBTFY or BOR is about Dorathea but it could be a love song from Jon to Richie.

Jon is very private so for him to admit that he thinks some Blond is still in his bed would mean that he cheated. Regardless if he did or didn't, I think most Bon Jovi songs are just fiction.

I also agree that it depends on the project. Were not talking just a song or 2 but hundreds over the course of 30 years. Someone would have come forward and called Jon out for being a fraud by now. I'm sure he's pissed off enough people.

Captain_jovi 04-10-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1121369)
I think Hey Johnny is more personal so therefore makes a better song. They met at 'The Station' when Jon was 19 so that brings us to 1981 - 82. Once Jon hit it big with Slippery and Jersey, he forgot all about his best friend Until 8 / 9 / 10 years later.

I think the song writing is pretty cool here because they wrote about realiy and turned it into fiction. The Station which is the Power Station turns into a Gas Station during Hey Ronnie. Who knows, everyone wants to believe that IBTFY or BOR is about Dorathea but it could be a love song from Jon to Richie.

Jon is very private so for him to admit that he thinks some Blond is still in his bed would mean that he cheated. Regardless if he did or didn't, I think most Bon Jovi songs are just fiction.

I also agree that it depends on the project. Were not talking just a song or 2 but hundreds over the course of 30 years. Someone would have come forward and called Jon out for being a fraud by now. I'm sure he's pissed off enough people.

My problems with Hey Jonny lie completely with how much I've listened to Hey Ronnie over the years maybe. I'm just not getting the subject matter. I understand it but I prefer the simplistic love song.

I really don't think IBTFY or BOR is a song from Jon to Richie.

Supersonic 04-10-2013 05:28 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1121330)
While there are certainly songs Jon attaches his name to that he had little to do with, this album ain't one of them. So many turns of phrase and chord changes that are pure JBJ.

That maybe so, but considering how Aldo Nova clearly wrote the riff to Blaze Of Glory it's kind of similar to Axl Rose saying he wrote Sweet Child O' Mine all by himself.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Captain_jovi 04-10-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1121397)
Aloha !

That maybe so, but considering how Aldo Nova clearly wrote the riff to Blaze Of Glory it's kind of similar to Axl Rose saying he wrote Sweet Child O' Mine all by himself.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Aldo wrote the riff, yah, but it wasn't the exact riff. You can't honestly stay Aldo wrote Blaze of Glory and Jon attached his name to it. I don't know enough about credits to know who should get what. BUT on the same topic http://youtu.be/7VD3pBTK0oA?t=47s Richie had a hand in writing the song too in that case.

semigoodlookin 04-10-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1121404)
Aldo wrote the riff, yah, but it wasn't the exact riff. You can't honestly stay Aldo wrote Blaze of Glory and Jon attached his name to it. I don't know enough about credits to know who should get what. BUT on the same topic http://youtu.be/7VD3pBTK0oA?t=47s Richie had a hand in writing the song too in that case.

I was just thinking the same. If the chord progression, the lyrics, essentially what the song was and would be was already down, would writing a guitar lick get a credit. I am not sure, as like you I am no expert on how credits work. If it was my song, and my hard work, I would not think writing a small part (albeit one that has become instantly recognisable) would deserve a credit.

Of course, we are viewing this after knowing it as a massively popular riff and from the point of view that Jon has been liberal with the truth over credits before.

Captain_jovi 04-10-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semigoodlookin (Post 1121410)
Of course, we are viewing this after knowing it as a massively popular riff and from the point of view that Jon has been liberal with the truth over credits before.

Good point. If Aldo wrote the riff, note for note, it may be a different story but the idea he played isn't the final riff.

Rumen 04-11-2013 05:21 PM

Aldo Nova Interview where he talks of how he got to arrange and do the Blaze of Glory demo.

Tom_K 04-14-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rumen (Post 1121641)
Aldo Nova Interview where he talks of how he got to arrange and do the Blaze of Glory demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCzQwIFxxxE

He mentions he was in a band with Phil X. Interesting.

Captain_jovi 04-14-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom_K (Post 1122291)
He mentions he was in a band with Phil X. Interesting.

Yessir. Phil was in Aldo's touring band for Blood on the Bricks.