Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Undiscovered Soul Japanese Edition... (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=24015)

krb102 03-21-2004 12:59 PM

Undiscovered Soul Japanese Edition...

I think every song with the exception of "Who I Am" (since this was recorded 'live' on the first take) is different in some way to the international version. Here are some examples:

If God Was A Woman: Steven Tyler doesn't appear playing the harmonica.

Undiscovered Soul: There is a slightly different introduction to the song. There is more of a (and a better) guitar solo at the end of the song.

Made In America: Someone says 'everybody ready?' at the beginning of the song. There are also less/quieter guitars.

Hard Times Come Easy: The clapping and cheering at the end of the song lasts longer.

Fallen From Graceland: This lasts for 6 min 50 sec because of a 'conversation' between Richie and some other people at the end of the song.

You Are Not Alone: Richie talks after the song has finished and he briefly plays the guitar.

In It For Love: You can hear a few people, including Richie, speak after the song has finished.

All That Really Matters (There are two versions of this song included on the album): In the version most similar to the international version, the lyrics are slightly different at the beginning. The tone/melody is slightly different at some points throughout the song. And after the song has finished, there is an amazing acoustic guitar solo by Richie, followed by some people talking.

Harlem Rain: After this song has finished, there is a jam session by Richie and his band which leads nicely into Who I Am. At the the end of it you hear Richie say "OK, we're greased up", and Who I Am starts. It is amazing.

The tracks also appear in a different order to the international version.

Does anyone know the reason for all of these differences? I understand the album was released here maybe three months before the rest of the world (not sure though cos I cant be arsed to look it up). Maybe the record company thought it was under-produced and needed a bit more added to it?

I like this version a lot more, and if you buy the Undiscovered Soul Tour Edition with live bonus disc I believe it is one of the best BJ related CD's you could wish for.

RichieW2001 03-21-2004 01:06 PM

how readily available is it? it sounds like something i'd like to add to my collection, for definate.

Nige 03-21-2004 01:39 PM

Re: Undiscovered Soul Japanese Edition...

Quote:

Originally Posted by krb102
Does anyone know the reason for all of these differences? I understand the album was released here maybe three months before the rest of the world (not sure though cos I cant be arsed to look it up). Maybe the record company thought it was under-produced and needed a bit more added to it?

The Japanese record company released it because some demo's had been leaked (apparently anyway - I've never found a copy :( ) so they rushed the release of the album to try and beat the bootleggers.

The international version is the mastered/fully produced final version as it would/should be heard.

Rina 03-21-2004 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichieW2001
how readily available is it? it sounds like something i'd like to add to my collection, for definate.

I got mine here:
Undiscovered Soul +1 [Japan]: Amazon.de: Musik Undiscovered Soul +1 [Japan]: Amazon.de: Musik
:usa

Sambo-Chris 03-21-2004 03:14 PM

Nige is right.

The Japanese issue came out 3 month earlier than the final version. It also has another booklet than the final version. And the songs are in a different row.

Supersonic 03-21-2004 04:31 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Undiscovered Soul: There is a slightly different introduction to the song. There is more of a (and a better) guitar solo at the end of the song.

I'm not sure since I haven't listened to this album for a long time but I think I prefer the international version.

Quote:

I like this version a lot more, and if you buy the Undiscovered Soul Tour Edition with live bonus disc I believe it is one of the best BJ related CD's you could wish for.

Quote:

It also has another booklet than the final version.
Only the 1CD version has a different booklet. The limited Tour Edition has the same artwork as the international release. The bonus disc contains all 6 b-sides from the Hard Times Come Easy CD Maxi's from Europe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichieW2001

The Japanese 1CD version should still be available as they don't know the other version there. I'd check eBay, it pops up over there once a time.

By the way, did anyone notice Richie thanks Steven Seagal in the booklet ? Is it really the Steven Seagal we know or is it someone else ?

Quote:

(not sure though cos I cant be arsed to look it up).

Since when started this English teacher who had comments on other people when writing u instead of you and pple instead of people writing cos instead of 'cause on this messageboard ? :P

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

RichieW2001 03-21-2004 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic
By the way, did anyone notice Richie thanks Steven Seagal in the booklet ? Is it really the Steven Seagal we know or is it someone else ?

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

it's the same guy. they are friends. richie's song 'long way around' appeared on the fire down below film/soundtrack.

Sambo-Chris 03-21-2004 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic
Aloha !

Yes, it is this Steven Seagal. They worked together on the song Long way around. Steven wrote it and Richie sang it for the Soundtrack of Fire down below.

JOEYKID 03-21-2004 05:53 PM

sambo why in about 40% of your posts do you answer peoples questions when they have already been answerd?

strange that