Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Richie Sambora!!! (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70391)

rickysambo 05-05-2021 11:09 AM

Good to see varied analysis from everyone here. Offering my three cents:

1) First & Foremost, I would want Richie to stay true to who he is--- A Guitar Player. One isn't expecting long instrumental passages but songs devoid of an audible guitar line is what pissed off a lot of fans since 2000, I bet.
None of the fan favourites have busy instrumentation, but they all have capable instrumentation. So, a song which has compressed drums annd percussion drowning out the rest is undesirable. As sensational as the Next 100 years solo is, it is about 3dB too quiet compared to wall of noise around it. "These Days" is obviously the go to example of an album where there is no redundant extraneous sounds, everything is calculated yet creative. Every rhythm lick is nuanced and says something, instead of a boring (modern) strum on the chord. The gist is that I'd want a "guitar present" album . I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

2) Lyrics. Hmm. Somebody mentioned Richie was never very gifted in that regard. Clearly, Richie isn't a verbose guy and his twitter vocabulary is pretty shockingly deficient. "Shelter, food & sex is what we need" is cringey, while every line on "You can only get so high" is moving. He does hit or miss, a lot like Jon. I'd say Jon has higher highs and lower lows.

3) RSO was comfy and bland. Nothing good comes out of a well rested artist who has no walls to scale. I hope Orianthi has had no input in his music. Her lyrical chops are worse than an eight grader going through her first imaginary break up.
I've said it before but I'd love Richie to rope in some vocalists for a couple of songs. Even a guitarist or two. He did have Clapton on his first outing and that was terrific. All these things require effort and creative combat, but often results in memorable output.

4) The old artist trying to reclaim the past glory debate is nothing new but I think the point is that fans often want the artist to quit replicating the current trends rather than aping their finest hour. To quote Kirk Hammett (when Metallica decided to have a solo free album in 2003's St.Anger): "I think it's bullshit, to cater to the current trend that says no guitar solos. If we're doing that then we are dating this music to this very year".
The current trend in music is dreadful-- naive, entitled and misguided lyricism; mistake free, individuality free music; A very good case in point is Greta Van Fleet. Talented boys with a lot of potential who became media darlings for basically nothing and now their 2nd record is just a shining example of forgettable songwriting. It is up to the artist to carve a conducive environment for music, which often translates to an environment that's actually not conducive to creating music. Conflict and chaos is more interesting than a well oiled machine going about its job one more time.

Captain_jovi 05-05-2021 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickysambo (Post 1273501)

1) First & Foremost, I would want Richie to stay true to who he is--- A Guitar Player. One isn't expecting long instrumental passages but songs devoid of an audible guitar line is what pissed off a lot of fans since 2000, I bet.
None of the fan favourites have busy instrumentation, but they all have capable instrumentation. So, a song which has compressed drums annd percussion drowning out the rest is undesirable. As sensational as the Next 100 years solo is, it is about 3dB too quiet compared to wall of noise around it. "These Days" is obviously the go to example of an album where there is no redundant extraneous sounds, everything is calculated yet creative. Every rhythm lick is nuanced and says something, instead of a boring (modern) strum on the chord. The gist is that I'd want a "guitar present" album . I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

2) Lyrics. Hmm. Somebody mentioned Richie was never very gifted in that regard. Clearly, Richie isn't a verbose guy and his twitter vocabulary is pretty shockingly deficient. "Shelter, food & sex is what we need" is cringey, while every line on "You can only get so high" is moving. He does hit or miss, a lot like Jon. I'd say Jon has higher highs and lower lows.

3) RSO was comfy and bland. Nothing good comes out of a well rested artist who has no walls to scale. I hope Orianthi has had no input in his music. Her lyrical chops are worse than an eight grader going through her first imaginary break up.
I've said it before but I'd love Richie to rope in some vocalists for a couple of songs. Even a guitarist or two. He did have Clapton on his first outing and that was terrific. All these things require effort and creative combat, but often results in memorable output.

4) The old artist trying to reclaim the past glory debate is nothing new but I think the point is that fans often want the artist to quit replicating the current trends rather than aping their finest hour. To quote Kirk Hammett (when Metallica decided to have a solo free album in 2003's St.Anger): "I think it's bullshit, to cater to the current trend that says no guitar solos. If we're doing that then we are dating this music to this very year".
The current trend in music is dreadful-- naive, entitled and misguided lyricism; mistake free, individuality free music; A very good case in point is Greta Van Fleet. Talented boys with a lot of potential who became media darlings for basically nothing and now their 2nd record is just a shining example of forgettable songwriting. It is up to the artist to carve a conducive environment for music, which often translates to an environment that's actually not conducive to creating music. Conflict and chaos is more interesting than a well oiled machine going about its job one more time.

Lot of really valid points (though not to nitpick, Richie didn't write Weathering the Storm, if I recall correctly that was a collaboration with Elton John's right hand man Bernie Taupin who wrote all the lyrics and Richie did the music)

BUT I completely agree about You Can Only Get So High. Those verses are everything J+R claim they are doing when they open up to show the hurt and the chip on their shoulder when really they're just giving us banal cliches about reaching for the skies. "Downed seven Tylenols for breakfast" "Empty bottle preach the gospel". If enough effort is taken lyrically as there was in that one song I don't think we would be having this discussion. My biggest gripe with the band 2000 forward (and I'm a broken record on this) is the amount of tired empty cliches. They're both really guilty of it and it makes everything feel lazier.

thesedays2014 05-05-2021 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickysambo (Post 1273501)

Yep, agree with a lot except about Bernie’s lyrics lol...also:
- Have you hear Orianthi’s latest? I’m not a fan, but it has shit loads of guitar and rock on it. After listening to the snippets, it’s seems to me like Richie’s the problem, not Ori

bonjovi90 05-05-2021 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1273506)
My biggest gripe with the band 2000 forward (and I'm a broken record on this) is the amount of tired empty cliches. They're both really guilty of it and it makes everything feel lazier.

You're a broken record on actually using the term "broken record" [emoji23]

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk

Captain_jovi 05-05-2021 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1273509)
You're a broken record on actually using the term "broken record" [emoji23]

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk

HAHAHA Fair enough! I'll switch it up.

JackieBlue 05-05-2021 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1273510)
HAHAHA Fair enough! I'll switch it up.

:)

While you're thinking about that... I'm trying to work out the lyrics, and my phone is starting to sound kinda like a broken record. So could you maybe lend a hand??? Your ears seem to work better than mine these days...

Please and thank you. :)

Here's what I have so far...

PAIN
Pain, pain, pain
Where there once was a heart
Sing it again, sing it again.
Pain, pain, pain
Loving you was just a losing game, baby, oh

It feels like dying, yes, it feels like dying inside

Pain, pain, pain
Sing it again, sing it again, sing it again.
Pain, pain, pain
I thought we had it all; but you threw it away, darlin'
I cried, I cried, I cried 10 million tears for you, baby.

ALL THAT GLITTERS
Hey, you beautiful sinners
Your little precious hearts can't be bought or sold
Hey, when you're chasing down your rainbows
Remember to remember all that glitters ain't gold
Remember to remember all that glitters ain't gold

Born daddy's little girl (???) raking round the world
Poor rotten attitude, goodbye gratitude
(??), count the stars and pray for more
Guess (Can't say?) it's crazy, you might be insane, well...
You think (???) but trying not to kill yourself
The poorest and the richest
Still (soon?) need an ambulance

Captain_jovi 05-05-2021 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieBlue (Post 1273514)

Born daddy's little girl (???) raking round the world
Poor rotten attitude, goodbye gratitude
(??), count the stars and pray for more
Guess (Can't say?) it's crazy, you might be insane, well...
You think (???) but trying not to kill yourself
Still (soon?) need an ambulance

The rest is bang on but here's what I hear:

Can't fix crazy, you might be a...
You think your heart....? but trying not to kid yourself
Still need an ambulance

Even then I'm not totally sure. And after listening to this 3000 times no one can convince me Richie wasn't the driving force in writing No Apologies.

rolo_tomachi 05-06-2021 08:55 AM

I love the two new snippets. Richie sounds passionate. About the production, well ... it's something similar to the RSO songs that was also produced by Bob Rock, it could be better, but despite that, it sounds refreshing to me, especially the latest snippet, so I don't dislike it.

Always l liked Take Me, I Don't Want To Have To Need You Now, Forever all the Way ... So I'm quite interested in this. Hearing Richie sing something new excites me. About the guitars, I can only say, these four snippets sounds great man, much better than guitars on the last Jovi records.

steel_horse75 05-06-2021 09:38 AM

https://youtu.be/aNVle0R9CCI

https://youtu.be/xziM6Iu9SwU

https://twitter.com/orianthi/status/...179346436?s=21

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GabrielC 05-07-2021 06:10 AM

Pain kinda grew on me. Nothing else stands out, through.