Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   NBJ - Everything Else (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Retro Computer games (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=29488)

Neurotica80 02-17-2005 09:00 PM

Retro Computer games

Just bought the sonic collection for the Playstation 2 and its taking me back, Its really addictive!!! Liked Mario too but I always preferred Sonic.

Which were you???

Thomas Anderson 02-17-2005 09:07 PM

Sonic 2 is one of my favourite games ever. I had a Sega MegaDrive when they where released, but am too young to really remember anything older than that. I might buy that Sonic collection, not played any of them for years.

Neurotica80 02-17-2005 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Anderson
Sonic 2 is one of my favourite games ever. I had a Sega MegaDrive when they where released, but am too young to really remember anything older than that. I might buy that Sonic collection, not played any of them for years.

Well its only 25 quid and you get

Sonic 1, 2 and 3, Sonic and knuckles, 3d Island (which i could never get into) spinball and others.

Iceman 02-17-2005 09:51 PM

Mario and SOnic aren't really that retro...

I preferred Sonic but the series kinda got old, they didn't introduce anything really new to it where as Mario's been growing all the time. And even though the new Mario's are mostly aimed at younger kids, they're still fun to play.

OT: I think it's outrageous how much money the publishers are asking for re-released retro games. They should be at least 10 times cheaper than your average game, ehre you could buy a pack of 10 retrogames by the price of one regular game. It's not like they're gonna sell anymore regular priced.

Ice

Neurotica80 02-17-2005 10:03 PM

YEah I agree on that Ice. Did anyone else have a commodore 64??? I so wanna play platoon again!!

Iceman 02-17-2005 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neurotica80
YEah I agree on that Ice. Did anyone else have a commodore 64??? I so wanna play platoon again!!

I had a few and I still have too.

And you can play Platoon on your PC, just download an emulator and the game and you're off killing Charlies. :)

Ice

Thomas Anderson 02-17-2005 10:24 PM

In the GameStation shop in town they have old consoles, you can buy a MegaDrive, Dreamcast or N64 for about £20, but a ZX Spectrum would cost you around £50. I was thinking of buying a MegaDrive and some games, no idea where mine got to now.

I did have a ZX Spectrum a few years ago, I remember spending half an hour loading the games from a tape, very boring and slow.

Iceman 02-17-2005 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Anderson
I did have a ZX Spectrum a few years ago, I remember spending half an hour loading the games from a tape, very boring and slow.

That's what disk drives are for. And tape turbos.

Ice

Iceman 02-17-2005 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neurotica80

http://www.viceteam.org/

Download this: ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/cbm/crossplat...nVICE-1.16.zip

And this:
http://www.c64unlimited.net/games/p/Platoon%20(Ocean)/platoon%20Ocean%20(d64).zip

And you should be able to play.

Ice

Living_on_my_Hair 02-17-2005 11:38 PM

i bought a megardrive with sonic2, street fighter II, streets of rage 1+2 , golden axe, road rash and a bunch of other classics of ebay last uear for a tenner! 8) go me

andi

Jim Bon Jovi 02-18-2005 01:28 AM

sonic was class but mario is probably my favourite.

i downloaded a snes and megadrive emulator a coupla years ago but it totally frazzled my graphix card for some reason.

i had an old spectrum then an amiga then an n64 n now ive got an xbox but all i really play on it are pro evo soccer and GTA.

jenn1189 02-18-2005 02:33 AM

I loved both of them, but I think Sonic was a better game. I have Sonic for the computer. I recently found an XBOX game at Wal-Mart for $15 of old Atari games. It's got Pole Position, Dig Dug, Pac Man, Ms. Pac Man, Galaxia, and one other game. I love it! I've also got a lot of the old Atari games for PC too. Like Centipede and Frogger!

spunkywho 02-18-2005 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenn1189
I've also got a lot of the old Atari games for PC too. Like Centipede and Frogger!

haha me too. Love those - now those are games even I like to play - Phoenix (I know it has a different name in the US but I only know it as such).

yeah for the good old days.

Keba 02-18-2005 03:54 AM

Did someone say Frogger?????? :D :D :D :D :D

Bleeding Purist 02-18-2005 04:00 AM

I had a Commodore 128, which could also revert to 64 mode. The games were the sh** then. I never had Platoon though. We had Popeye and Frogger 2 on cartridge.

Retro games can be cool for about 5 seconds and then you realize how limited they are. I suppose I'll feel the same way about Spiderman 2 down the line (and I hope so, an even more detailed and interactive NYC would be the sh**) In the meantime I get a rush from just swinging around the skyscrapers. I can't go back to eating dots as Pac Man.

Jim Bon Jovi 02-18-2005 04:06 AM

alot of the appeal of retro games is the simplicity.

Bleeding Purist 02-18-2005 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Bon Jovi
alot of the appeal of retro games is the simplicity.

I thought it was the nostalgia.

spunkywho 02-18-2005 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleeding Purist
I had a Commodore 128, which could also revert to 64 mode. The games were the sh** then.

my neighbor had one of those - he was the king :) god I sucked to him so bad only get some playtime lol.

Quote:

Retro games can be cool for about 5 seconds and then you realize how limited they are. I suppose I'll feel the same way about Spiderman 2 down the line (and I hope so, an even more detailed and interactive NYC would be the sh**) In the meantime I get a rush from just swinging around the skyscrapers. I can't go back to eating dots as Pac Man.
bahhhhhhhh no way --- nothing beats eating dots :lol: The games nowadays - good lord - takes you an hour only to figure out the console :roll: way too complicated.

jenn1189 02-18-2005 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keba
Did someone say Frogger?????? :D :D :D :D :D

Frogger rules! Games today may be graphically better than the old ones, but they just aren't as much fun. Sure, they are simple, but they are still great. Nothing like staring at the screen and going cross-eyed :shock: trying to avoid on coming traffic. Next to Frogger, my favorite Atari games were Kaboom and Keystone Kapers. My mom and I could play those for hours. Ahh, the memories.... :P

UKjovi 02-18-2005 09:28 AM

Space Invaders !!!! i hated Mario

Kev 02-18-2005 10:22 AM

hehe Russ. I loved Space Invaders as well :D

I had a spectrum and a sony megadrive> sonic 2 was definately my fave game out of the lot. Like jim, I got a emulator for the pc last year but I havent played it for a little while. I think I will ask if I can have a go of Carli's Sonic game for the PS2, and then will consider buying it, it looks pretty cool.

ktlee 02-18-2005 10:29 AM

I had a commodore 64 had the goonies game, scooby doo and cluedo. All were boss games but the bloody thing just wudnt load and that blue screen just did my head in!

UKjovi 02-18-2005 12:07 PM

hey kev did you used to play pac man as well? i'm old enough to have had the grandstand tenis game on tv :D

Thomas Anderson 02-18-2005 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev
I had a spectrum and a sony megadrive

:lol:

I don't really play my PS2 much now, I think that with the old games they where all about the gameplay, they didn't try for realistic graphics or anything else, just pure fun. Modern games are fun too, and much more involved, but classic games are, well, classic.

Mousebounce 02-18-2005 02:54 PM

Donkey Kong

Q-Bert

Pac-Man

8)

Dave 1986 02-18-2005 03:35 PM

I was always a Sonic man, though only the Megadrive (Genesis) games and some Master System games, but I never really got into the 3D ones. Sonic 1, 2, 3 and K were the best ones and I still love playing them. Sonic 3D was ok though nothing special and IMO Sonic Spinball sucked. I'm thinking of buying the mega Collection for the PS2 so as to save plugging in my Megadrive in each time. Sadly, it doesnt include Sonic CD, which I can't play now that I have Windows XP. :(

I still have my old games aswell, such as Streets Of Rage 1 and 2, Golden Axe, Paperboy, World Of Illusions, Revenge of Shinobi, Columns and Vurtua Fighter 2 (Not as good as the Saturn version obviously!)

Since then I bought a Playstation and my brother has a PS2 but I suppose I gradually lost interest in video games and if I ever play any, it's usually only the old ones on emulators etc.

The only new games that I play nowadays are the GTA series and Metal Gear Solid.

Jim Bon Jovi 02-18-2005 03:44 PM

awww streets of rage was the shiznit

Iceman 02-18-2005 06:16 PM

Quote:

It's got Pole Position, Dig Dug, Pac Man, Ms. Pac Man, Galaxia, and one other game. I love it! I've also got a lot of the old Atari games for PC too. Like Centipede and Frogger!

I've _got_ the old Atari2600. And it's still working.

Ice

Iceman 02-18-2005 06:17 PM

Quote:

Retro games can be cool for about 5 seconds and then you realize how limited they are.

Nope. The playability's better than in most of todays games and you don't always need to have "all that" in a game. Simplicity is better, IMO. I should know, I played computer games for a living for 18 months. Nothing kills the joy of playing like being forced to play.

Ice

Kathleen 02-18-2005 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman
I should know, I played computer games for a living for 18 months. Nothing kills the joy of playing like being forced to play.

Ice

Ok, I'll bite - that's a job description I've never heard. Did you win? :D

Kathleen

Iceman 02-18-2005 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathleen
Ok, I'll bite - that's a job description I've never heard. Did you win? :D

No, I wrote game reviews for a TV-show. About 6 a week. I also produced the content for the show and the web site. It was fun while it lasted, but wouldn't do it again.

Ice

Bleeding Purist 02-18-2005 07:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Retro games can be cool for about 5 seconds and then you realize how limited they are.

Nope. The playability's better than in most of todays games and you don't always need to have "all that" in a game. Simplicity is better, IMO. I should know, I played computer games for a living for 18 months. Nothing kills the joy of playing like being forced to play.

Ice

I did it for a year at a software developer. But I still disagree. It really depends on the game and gamer, though. I'm pretty picky, I prefer games that allow you to actually escape to a virtual world as opposed to mindless button mashing that is being dressed up as Simplicity in this thread. Obviously button mashing is what most people go for though, because that has been the rule for so long that people haven't quite expanded their imaginations yet. Well executed games set up controls that are mostly intuitive or taught smoothly over the course of the game, which is something found in more recent games where in the past the controllers were getting more complicated, but the gamer was expected to just memorize a ridiculous amount of combos.

Iceman 02-18-2005 09:17 PM

Quote:

as opposed to mindless button mashing that is being dressed up as Simplicity in this thread.

Am I sensing an attitude here? Retrogames are not just button mashing, ever heard of "Pirates!" for one? Or "Elite"? Or any of the adventure games by LucasFilm and Sierra?

Quote:

Well executed games set up controls that are mostly intuitive or taught smoothly over the course of the game, which is something found in more recent games where in the past the controllers were getting more complicated, but the gamer was expected to just memorize a ridiculous amount of combos.
That's actually just the opposite. In the old days the controls were simple but the games were better, nowadays most games get lost with too many buttons and combos and the developers forget that there should be a game beneath all that graphics and flash.

Ice

Stut 02-18-2005 09:19 PM

Quote:

No, I wrote game reviews for a TV-show. About 6 a week.

What show? Tilt?

Iceman 02-18-2005 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stut-The-Finn
Quote:

No, I wrote game reviews for a TV-show. About 6 a week.

What show? Tilt?

Yeah.

Ice

Bleeding Purist 02-18-2005 11:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

as opposed to mindless button mashing that is being dressed up as Simplicity in this thread.

Am I sensing an attitude here? Retrogames are not just button mashing, ever heard of "Pirates!" for one? Or "Elite"? Or any of the adventure games by LucasFilm and Sierra?

Quote:

Well executed games set up controls that are mostly intuitive or taught smoothly over the course of the game, which is something found in more recent games where in the past the controllers were getting more complicated, but the gamer was expected to just memorize a ridiculous amount of combos.
That's actually just the opposite. In the old days the controls were simple but the games were better, nowadays most games get lost with too many buttons and combos and the developers forget that there should be a game beneath all that graphics and flash.

Ice

First, when I think retro, I think Pac Man and Asteroids. The Sierra games were another level, I loved the Kings Quest series. They were ground breaking and at the time, exactly what I am speaking of as far as what I look for in a game.

2nd, as far as controls becoming intuitive...I didn't clarify that I mean controls that involve more than one button and a single joystick/thumbstick. They have gotten better with certain games that make use of a variety of controls while still being easy to use. Because when it comes down to it, in order to interface with an increasingly detailed and interactive virtual world, the old controllers are not going to fly. You need more options to interact fluidly...until the day comes that virtual reality systems where you strap on a harness and interact with the game as you would real life.

I agree...too often the developers forget there needs to be a game beneath the graphics and flash. I'm also not interested in basically what amounts to a 3D version of the same old scrolling screen crap ala Super Mario Bros, that worked then...not now. It's uninventive and stagnant...not really taking the current technology to the next level..complaining they've hit a ceiling in game creativity. They've simply got the wrong people behind the design desk.

Jim Bon Jovi 02-19-2005 02:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ice

oooh there's quite a nice little coincidence. i LOVED pirates back in the day. could still play it for weeks if i had the chance. found a game called sea dogs or somethign like that a coupla years ago that was basically pirates 3d, bought it and got fed up of it after a coupla days. flashy graphics and 3d sword fighting didn't make the game. it was just how easy it was to get immersed in the original.

I loved the lucas arts point n clicks as well but they were so hard it was unbelievable. i downloaded indiana jones 3 a while ago and completed it solely with the help of an online guide and back in the day, i couldnt complete maniac mansion even with a guide.

getting caught up in new games is because its easy to get immersed in GTA or syphon filter but they are rare examples of almost flawless gameplay as well as the bells and whistles. retro games was just your stripped back version.

jenn1189 02-19-2005 04:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:

It's got Pole Position, Dig Dug, Pac Man, Ms. Pac Man, Galaxia, and one other game. I love it! I've also got a lot of the old Atari games for PC too. Like Centipede and Frogger!

I've _got_ the old Atari2600. And it's still working.

Ice

I'm jealous! I had mine up until a few years ago. I let a friend borrow it. We had a falling out and she never returned it. :evil:

jenn1189 02-19-2005 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mousebounce
Donkey Kong

8)

Another favorite!

allmike 02-19-2005 10:13 AM

I used to play Road rash endlessly and also quake :) But later on i mostly into sport games like FIFA99, Cricket2000, F1, Rally[(which is really cool game).

Too bad i dont get a time to play any games :(