Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Alec John Such's final weeks (/last performance?) with Bon Jovi (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=69696)

Captain_jovi 10-14-2016 06:58 PM

I believe it. If only because they brought Alec back for a show probably a few months after this aired I don't think it's far fetched.

Jeeper 10-14-2016 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1210096)
I believe it. If only because they brought Alec back for a show probably a few months after this aired I don't think it's far fetched.

It just looked false - it was like a movie moment. Who knows.

Alec MUST have signed a confidentiality contract as part of his leaving the band. Aside from an odd interview he's said nothing. God knows he would have dirt on Jon/the band.

Wonder if Richie has signed anything?

bonjovi90 10-14-2016 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 1210097)

Alec MUST have signed a confidentiality contract as part of his leaving the band. Aside from an odd interview he's said nothing. God knows he would have dirt on Jon/the band.

I'm pretty sure there were some sorts of contractual precautions taken by Jon. In Masterclass in 2012 he said "God bless him, he never wrote a book, he never...told the tales in the media. He quite the business." But he was grinning like "it would've cost him a lot if he did." At least that was my impression :D

Javier 10-14-2016 07:25 PM

Who knows, Alec could just be a stand up guy and just not given interviews dishing out dirt and shit on the band?! Maybe that one or two interviews was a phase he was going through? He became rich in Bon Jovi, I doubt many people would stab the reason they never have to work again in the back, whether they be right or not....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Jeeper 10-14-2016 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1210100)
I'm pretty sure there were some sorts of contractual precautions taken by Jon. In Masterclass in 2012 he said "God bless him, he never wrote a book, he never...told the tales in the media. He quite the business." But he was grinning like "it would've cost him a lot if he did." At least that was my impression :D

haha that's very cynical of you! :p

Wonder if Richie/Dave/Tico have also signed something similar in the event they were sacked or were to quit. It would make sense from Jon's perspective.

Jeeper 10-14-2016 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javier (Post 1210104)
Who knows, Alec could just be a stand up guy and just not given interviews dishing out dirt and shit on the band?! Maybe that one or two interviews was a phase he was going through? He became rich in Bon Jovi, I doubt many people would stab the reason they never have to work again in the back, whether they be right or not....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I'd love that to be the truth. I just think Jon is too smart to run that risk.

Nige 10-14-2016 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 1210105)
haha that's very cynical of you! :p

Wonder if Richie/Dave/Tico have also signed something similar in the event they were sacked or were to quit. It would make sense from Jon's perspective.

Every single person employed/used by Bon Jovi signs a Non-Disclosure Agreement.

Kev 10-14-2016 09:22 PM

I'm not sure of the source of the picture, but it's online showing how Alec looks now. I believe this originally came from an artical posted in the last 12 months, however for the life of me, I can't find it now. Maybe someone else can locate this?

http://www.bj-rocklegend.narod.ru/about/alec3.jpg

BD135 10-14-2016 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1210100)

Did it cost Rich Bozzett?

DestinationJovi 10-15-2016 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev (Post 1210128)
I'm not sure of the source of the picture, but it's online showing how Alec looks now. I believe this originally came from an artical posted in the last 12 months, however for the life of me, I can't find it now. Maybe someone else can locate this?

http://www.bj-rocklegend.narod.ru/about/alec3.jpg

Rolo posted it in 2013. Not sure where he got it from though.

http://www.drycounty.com/jovitalk/bo...st1156275.html

Jeeper 10-15-2016 10:56 AM

Not a hint of Just For Men there..

rokuli 10-15-2016 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javier (Post 1210104)
He became rich in Bon Jovi, I doubt many people would stab the reason they never have to work again in the back, whether they be right or not....

But he did blew all his money, didnt he? Had to auction his stuff few years back...? And like I said before he had his twitter account maybe couple of years back with the most common stuff "going to work" etc.

Considering Alec's nature, I'm sure he became a millionaire but also that he burnt it all.

ticos_stick 10-16-2016 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rokuli (Post 1209961)
And These Days was soft & full of ballads, because during the early 90s Jovi was huge in Europe (more so than in US) because of ballads (Bed Of Roses, Always)....

You've obviously not listened to These Days.

bobby_from_finland 10-18-2016 12:59 PM

I can't remember which message board it was, but there were two different guys claiming to be Alec himself. :eek:

Faceman 11-15-2020 03:48 PM

To dig out this thread once again.
After doing a lot of research for the just released 1994/1995 era on our touring page, I'd like to write down the timeline as far as possible.
Additions are very welcome - especially if someone knows anything about when the band officially stated Alec's departure.

1994/06/04 - MTV Movie Awards - with Alec

1994/07/02 - release of Kerrang Magazine wirting about rumours of Alec leaving the band and quoting him "I'm not doing the next record with them" and "well, Jon always thinks I suck anyway!"
(you can read the article here: https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/bon-j...st1209618.html )

1994/07/20 - release of RAW-magazine quoting him “I’m gonna be doing the tour, but they’re using a guy called Huey MacDonald. I’m not doing the record with them this time, I have no desire to.” and "Jon tells me I suck all the time".
(you can read the article here: https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/bon-j...st1209619.html)

1994/09/03 - Festivalbar, Marostica, Italy - with Alec

1994/09/07 - Top Of The Pops, London, England - with Alec

1994/09/22 - Top Of The Pops, Niagara Falls, New York, USA - with Alec

1994/10/08 - MTV Studios, New York City, New York USA - with Alec

1994/10/10 - TROS, Hilversum, Netherlands - with Alec
--> this is as far as we could find out, the last documented performance with Alec.

1994/10/24 - Rockline Radio, Los Angeles, California, USA
--> interview with Jon and Richie and Jon is asked about the rumours concerning Alec. After he first skipped the question, the host asked once again if Alec is leaving the band and Jon replied "it may be".

1994/10/28 - The Late Show with David Letterman, New York City, New York, USA - with Hugh
--> this is the first documented performance with Hugh on bass. In the afternoon of the same day the whole band played a small acoustic show at the Hard Rock Café in New York. But only an audio bootleg exists and since Jon doesn't introduce the band on that one, we can't say anything about the line-up but it has to be assumed that Hugh played with them on that one, too. (anything else wouldn't make any sense).

All the recordings to the appearances mentioned above can be found here: https://bjtours.jimdofree.com/tours/...romo-off-tour/
I think leaving out the videos in this post makes it clearer to read.

Captain_jovi 11-15-2020 04:19 PM

THANK YOU for doing this!

Man. “But what I intended it to be and what Jon wanted are two different things. I wanted to have fun, but then those guys wrote a hit song, and now there is so much pressure to keep having hit songs. I’ve always felt that you write a song and *others*(originally in cursive print) will tell you it’s a hit, you don’t write a song to be a hit and tell everyone,‘This is a hit song’.“ is such a good quote.

YOVANAfromPeru 11-16-2020 03:18 AM

Alec: I know how Jon writes and I know how Richie writes. I put those two guys together. They should be patting me on the back ‘cause without each other they’d still not be writing right. Jon writes cowboy songs, they all start out that way. He needs Richie to harden ‘em up and turn ‘em into Bon Jovi songs.
My eye was infected. It was dripping away every night and I had to put this Vaseline on it. That was the only time anyone ever saw me with an eye-patch. I wasn’t going on a pirate look because that would be nuts.
>_< jaja

Faceman 11-16-2020 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru (Post 1270178)
Alec: I know how Jon writes and I know how Richie writes. I put those two guys together. They should be patting me on the back ‘cause without each other they’d still not be writing right. Jon writes cowboy songs, they all start out that way. He needs Richie to harden ‘em up and turn ‘em into Bon Jovi songs.
My eye was infected. It was dripping away every night and I had to put this Vaseline on it. That was the only time anyone ever saw me with an eye-patch. I wasn’t going on a pirate look because that would be nuts.
>_< jaja

We already have those quotes in the articles posted in this very thread.

Any new additions would be welcome.

Thinny 11-16-2020 03:57 PM

I remember reading those interviews at the time and thinking Alec had gone nuts, and that he would get fired over the interviews, and I was right about the latter part. However, reading back now it's amazing how much sense Alec writes and how much it still applies to modern day Bon Jovi.

The whole writing a "hit" thing is obviously something Jon has been obsessed with for a long time and is why he has been constantly chasing trends rather that to write what comes naturally.

Agree with what he says about Richie and Jon writing together too!

Got to hand it to Alec for not being afraid to speak out, he must have known Jon wouldn't take it well....you've gotta think that maybe he knew his days left with the band were limited at this point...

SuperBrad 11-19-2020 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faceman (Post 1270172)
To dig out this thread once again.
After doing a lot of research for the just released 1994/1995 era on our touring page, I'd like to write down the timeline as far as possible.
Additions are very welcome - especially if someone knows anything about when the band officially stated Alec's departure.

1994/06/04 - MTV Movie Awards - with Alec

1994/07/02 - release of Kerrang Magazine wirting about rumours of Alec leaving the band and quoting him "I'm not doing the next record with them" and "well, Jon always thinks I suck anyway!"
(you can read the article here: https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/bon-j...st1209618.html )

1994/07/20 - release of RAW-magazine quoting him “I’m gonna be doing the tour, but they’re using a guy called Huey MacDonald. I’m not doing the record with them this time, I have no desire to.” and "Jon tells me I suck all the time".
(you can read the article here: https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/bon-j...st1209619.html)

1994/09/03 - Festivalbar, Marostica, Italy - with Alec

1994/09/07 - Top Of The Pops, London, England - with Alec

1994/09/22 - Top Of The Pops, Niagara Falls, New York, USA - with Alec

1994/10/08 - MTV Studios, New York City, New York USA - with Alec

1994/10/10 - TROS, Hilversum, Netherlands - with Alec
--> this is as far as we could find out, the last documented performance with Alec.

--> interview with Jon and Richie and Jon is asked about the rumours concerning Alec. After he first skipped the question, the host asked once again if Alec is leaving the band and Jon replied "it may be".

1994/10/28 - The Late Show with David Letterman, New York City, New York, USA - with Hugh
--> this is the first documented performance with Hugh on bass. In the afternoon of the same day the whole band played a small acoustic show at the Hard Rock Café in New York. But only an audio bootleg exists and since Jon doesn't introduce the band on that one, we can't say anything about the line-up but it has to be assumed that Hugh played with them on that one, too. (anything else wouldn't make any sense).

All the recordings to the appearances mentioned above can be found here: https://bjtours.jimdofree.com/tours/...romo-off-tour/
I think leaving out the videos in this post makes it clearer to read.

This is awesome..... thanks for posting;)

Supersonic 11-19-2020 07:40 AM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faceman (Post 1270172)

I think I've got this interview somewhere. First there's someone asking Jon what the secret is for keeping a band together for so long with the same line up and he bullshits himself through the question. 10 minutes later someone else asks him if Alec is leaving and it turns really awkward. Great radio, but it's obvious Jon doesn't want to talk about it.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Faceman 11-19-2020 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1270241)
I think I've got this interview somewhere.

Otherwise you can listen to it here:
(the fan question about Alec comes around minute 15 and the host picks it up about 2 minutes later)

rokuli 06-09-2022 09:09 PM

Any new info is appreciated!