Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Have A Nice Day - original version (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70804)

bonjovi90 01-29-2021 01:11 AM

Dear God, I wasn't even a fan back then in the sense of knowing that a new single / album was coming until it got played on the radio. I still remember, it was the first of three days at a traineeship we had to do from our school. I had heard the announcement of the new song on the radio in the morning, but missed the premiere. The next day, they played it and the people there told me that I can turn it up if I wanted to. It was such a fresh energetic vibe to the song. The last time I actually felt like that with a new Bon Jovi single. Thinking about it - I was actually exactly half the age I am today when the song was released :D

bonjovi90 01-29-2021 02:55 AM

Took some time today to remaster the original HAND album version and even though it's not like an official release, I really enjoy listening to it. Always liked the original album track list more than the final product.
Shame that YouTube blocks it...

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk

Alphavictim 01-29-2021 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1272067)
Dear God, I wasn't even a fan back then in the sense of knowing that a new single / album was coming until it got played on the radio. I still remember, it was the first of three days at a traineeship we had to do from our school. I had heard the announcement of the new song on the radio in the morning, but missed the premiere. The next day, they played it and the people there told me that I can turn it up if I wanted to. It was such a fresh energetic vibe to the song. The last time I actually felt like that with a new Bon Jovi single. Thinking about it - I was actually exactly half the age I am today when the song was released :D

HAND was the first BJ album where I was able to observe the whole process, like, they're in the studio now! They're live-debuting a new single (one year before the album even dropped)! Song titles make the rounds! A release date! A single! A leak! The album! A promo phase!

And... the last time they really went all out, as far as promoting an album goes, actually. I don't remember as much buzz for anything that came after.

It's probably not much of a coincidence that HAND is, IMO, the best thing they've done after 1992.

Captain_jovi 01-29-2021 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1272068)
Took some time today to remaster the original HAND album version and even though it's not like an official release, I really enjoy listening to it. Always liked the original album track list more than the final product.
Shame that YouTube blocks it...

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk

I may try listening to it in the intended order tomorrow. I never thought I Want To Be Loved was strong enough to be a track 2.

I Am closing the album feels wild to me.

steel_horse75 01-29-2021 09:52 AM

Hand was such a disappointment.
It’s probably my most unlistened to album with Richie in the band.
There’s just nothing about it. So bland.
I love the title track, last man standing, dirty little secret and don’t mind unbreakable. The rest never get played.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dave 1986 01-30-2021 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1272078)
Hand was such a disappointment.
It’s probably my most unlistened to album with Richie in the band.
There’s just nothing about it. So bland.
I love the title track, last man standing, dirty little secret and don’t mind unbreakable. The rest never get played.

I was going to give my opinion on the album but I pretty much summed it up for myself here;

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave 1986 (Post 1135838)
I used to love this album back in 2005. At the time I thought it was a huge return to form. By that I meant in the sense that it seemed more "pure" compared to Crush and Bounce, more actual guitar solos and just felt that it "rocked" more. Now it pretty much bores me. I played it about 6 months ago and it does nothing for me.

The title track absolutely floored me on initial release. It had the now-typical "It's My Life" symptoms but it was much less processed than that and "Everyday" and had more of a classic-rock vibe to it. Back then I thought "THIS is the kind of lead single I wanna hear from this band today!" Now? Somehow now it's lost it's impact, and the shoddy compressed production does it no favours either.

I can see why the album often gets cited as their best post-2000 release as I suppose it is probably more consistent than the others, it's loaded with more rock songs and tones down on the ballads at bit.

Plus I thought the red smirk gimmic was ace!

It's funny how I used to think it was a strong solid album back in 2005 and now it feels dated and underwhelming. Bounce on the other hand (no pun intended) still holds up for me and is still just as engaging, even though it probably has more flaws than Have a Nice Day. I loved the title track and "I Want To Be Loved" the most back then, and "Dirty Little Secret" was a good bonus track as well.

I still think the final album over all is better than the "original" 2004 version. It would probably help if I actually listen to the whole original album but I think some of the additional songs included for the final album helped beef it up a bit. I think a hybrid of the 2004 and 2005 version would have worked best, like if the original versions of "Have a Nice Day", "I Want To Be Loved" and "Bells of Freedom" were used instead of dumbing down and broadening the lyrics for the final version.

Captain_jovi 01-30-2021 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave 1986 (Post 1272100)
I was going to give my opinion on the album but I pretty much summed it up for myself here;

It's funny how I used to think it was a strong solid album back in 2005 and now it feels dated and underwhelming. Bounce on the other hand (no pun intended) still holds up for me and is still just as engaging, even though it probably has more flaws than Have a Nice Day. I loved the title track and "I Want To Be Loved" the most back then, and "Dirty Little Secret" was a good bonus track as well.

I still think the final album over all is better than the "original" 2004 version. It would probably help if I actually listen to the whole original album but I think some of the additional songs included for the final album helped beef it up a bit. I think a hybrid of the 2004 and 2005 version would have worked best, like if the original versions of "Have a Nice Day", "I Want To Be Loved" and "Bells of Freedom" were used instead of dumbing down and broadening the lyrics for the final version.

There are some songs I think the tweaking of the lyrics helped and some it hurt. It took the punch out of I Want To Be Loved but some of the original lyrics to Bells were hacky and watered down. Loved the storyline aspect but "So far away from everything and everyone
Can't get away from anything or anyone" I'm glad they got rid of.

My ultimate version of HAND is the chorus they used, the verses they didn't, and the double drum part before the second chorus. I don't know which solo I liked more but the first one is a little too "Go Your Own Way" to my liking.

Alphavictim 01-30-2021 01:29 AM

As far as "original vs. final track listing" goes, Unbreakable is pretty terrible, but so is Wildflower. Story of My Life and Last Cigarette are pretty similar, but Last Cigarette especially is fun. Dirty Little Secret is very good, and Novocaine is okay. So I guess the biggest loss is Nothing.

Jonny Sambora 01-31-2021 12:23 AM

I remember the anticipation for the album after the box set the year before. I sat up and watched the live stream of Amsterdamn and it was so obvious Jon was in bed form! Anyway, the album sounded very fresh after the compressed sound if Bounce and the tour was the first where we travelled out Ireland to see them, great times! Just a pity Richie started to fall off the rails during that time.....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Captain_jovi 01-31-2021 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonny Sambora (Post 1272123)
I remember the anticipation for the album after the box set the year before. I sat up and watched the live stream of Amsterdamn and it was so obvious Jon was in bed form! Anyway, the album sounded very fresh after the compressed sound if Bounce and the tour was the first where we travelled out Ireland to see them, great times! Just a pity Richie started to fall off the rails during that time.....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hmm to my ears Hand sounded far more compressed than Bounce BUT it was so nice to hear Tico's kick drum again.

Richie was in fine form until the Japanese leg and the outdoor tour. I thought the band was on fire for the first leg of the arena run but a bunch of people don't agree with that. It might have been how long it was between the Bounce amphitheatre leg and the Hand Arena run which was I guess....2.5 years?