Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Other Bands (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The Official Bryan Adams Thread (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=47551)

Panda 02-02-2009 08:02 AM

The Official Bryan Adams Thread

I don't know how well this thread will do... it probably will get a dozen posts and then sent to it's grave, but I'm slightly optimistic.

I personally feel that Bryan Adams deserves alot more attension than he normally gets. He has the big ballads (Ex. Heaven) and the big Anthems (Summer of '69, Run To You...) and some really good music in his albums that you could hardly call "filler". One of his best albums, "Cuts Like A Knife" is definatly in my top 5 favorites of all time. And I don't know what kind of reaction I'll get from this, because I don't know how well he has done in the UK, and I've never heard anyone talk about him. Celine Dion and Nickelback aren't the only things to come out of Canada.

Anyways, Bryan Adams is doing an "Unplugged" tour right now... anyone going? I am in Febuary.

Nige 02-02-2009 02:09 PM

Mr Adams is very popular here in the UK too. And rightly so as he is a great singer and songwriter.

I went to see one of his unplugged shows last year and he was fantastic; most of the songs were just him and a guitar-occasionally he was joined by a piano player. He told stories about the songs which were interesting, he was funny, professional and even joined in with the banter shouted at him from the audience. You'll love the show.

Simon 02-02-2009 03:24 PM

I admire him... in phases. Can't listen to him all the time (but not even BJ, so...), and when I'm in the mood he can be the greatest pop-rock artist I know. I love his "MTV Unplugged", as for studio albums "Reckless" is a firworks of hits, while "18 til I die" is my favourite... his most mature album I would say. Another great one is "Live! Live! Live!", the atmosphere on the show is mindblowing. I never went to see him live though. Maybe I will one day if the opportunity is there.

He has other great songs here and there, but the level of songwriting went downhill since "On A Day Like Today". The lyrics, that never had been the deepest, became even more simple and cheesy, the songs shorter and also simpler.
I always felt he has a lot of fillers on some of his albums, like "Waking Up The Neighbours", there are some songs I just can't stand, and then some masterpieces as well. Weird mix really.

I truely love some of his songs which I rate very highly, such as:

One Night Love Affair
Have You Ever Really Loved A Woman?
Thought I'd Died And Gone To Heaven
East Side Story
It's Only Love
Everything I Do
All For Love
Let's Make A Night To Remember
Summer Of '69 (still!)
Room Service

cowboy2002 02-02-2009 03:34 PM

Would really recommend goin to see him live, some of my favourite concerts have been BA shows. HIs voice holds up really well compared to studio recordings!

Supersonic 02-02-2009 04:25 PM

Aloha !

Bryan Adams is long gone glory. His live shows have been dull and predictable for a good 10 years now and he hasn't made a decent rock album since Into The Fire (1987?). For every 2 rock songs there's one of those pussy ballads and he's lost all his balls. If you see him live you'll think he's really down to earth and is putting up a special show just that night. See him again on the next tour and he's doing exactly the same. Telling exactly the same stories, making the same jokes, it's all an act, and he's become a phoney to me. When he lets loose on songs like Kids Wanna Rock and Run To You he still shows that he's still capable of rocking a crowd, but then again, those moments are getting more and more rare with every new tour.

Quote:

while "18 til I die" is my favourite... his most mature album I would say
Mature? I quote a few of his mature lyrics on that album:

1. Let's make a night to remember, from january to december.
2. I wanna be your lipstick when you lick it
3. We're gonna win don't wanna be a loser gonna win

Those are just 3 of the many examples why that album is so immature as hell. While he lost his balls on Waking Up (all the drums on it are coming from a drum computer!) he lost all the rest of his manhood on 18. Many Bryan Adams fans see this as one of his best, but there's only a few good songs on it, most of it is just easy listening, music they'd play in elevators and the likes. While he is capable of turning the few "rockers" on that album into good live songs most of it is very dull and sounds uninspired.

Also, let's not forget that he is responsable for giving rock ballads a bad name. Everything I Do, All For One, Have You Ever Loved A Woman, Let's Make A Night To Remember, Flying, I Think About You, all terrible. Heaven is his only proper rock ballad.

Cuts Like A Knife, Reckless, Into The Fire, Live! Live! Live! and MTV Unplugged are the only good Bryan Adams albums. All the others are either mediocre or terrible attempts at creating new songs. Every time he releases a new album it sounds like he's lost even more of his motivation or creativity. It sounds like he's lost his drive and is only recording new albums in order to be capable to give people a reason to go see him again. Followed by a show many fans have seen a thousand times now. I've stopped seeing him, have seen him 2 times now and it was more then enough. As soon as he starts dropping half of the ballads in his set I might spend some money on him again, but for now he's the one rock artist I can't be bothered with anymore. He makes rock songs for the women, and a man saying that one of his favourite Bryan Adams songs is "Let's Make A Night To Remember" ain't a real man to me!

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

JerseyboyUK 02-02-2009 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 904266)
most of it is just easy listening, music they'd play in elevators and the likes.

I think this sums up my opinion on Bryan Adams, and i'm talking about his whole career.

Simon 02-02-2009 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 904266)
Mature? I quote a few of his mature lyrics on that album:

1. Let's make a night to remember, from january to december.
2. I wanna be your lipstick when you lick it
3. We're gonna win don't wanna be a loser gonna win

Those are just 3 of the many examples why that album is so immature as hell.

Well, I'm aware that we are talking about Bryan Adams here... he is known for cheesy lyrics. First, I don't consider your 3 examples that cheesy (in comparison), actually that whole "Underwear" song is quite a funny thing which I don't take too serious. In the context of the songs these lines totally work. Secondly, musically the record sounds like a band playing, it has many nice acoustic guitars and the song structures are beyond what was to come on the following years. And whatever you say, I don't feel guilty of having "Let's Have A Night To Remember" as a favourite track. I would never argue the lyrics are deep, but the sound, the melody, the music always pleased me. So, whatever you say, for a BA album "18" is quite mature. It's not just easy listening, because there is more creativity in these songs, something he never really found again afterwards, sadly. "Have You Ever Really Loved A Woman" is a great track, musically, and very moving lyrically.

We agree that he has some unlistanable stuff though.

Jim Bon Jovi 02-02-2009 07:02 PM

he's got a few cracking songs but he's not done anything relevant for close to 20 years and his music will date really badly down the line compared to say other past glory acts like van morrison and bob dylan.

Captain Walrus 02-02-2009 08:47 PM

I like Bryan Adams, he may not be my favourite artist ever, as I generally prefer stuff with a bit more depth, and he is very hit and miss (as many have said, his peak was waaaaaay back); but he's still got some great songs, and is (sometimes) very good at what he does. And his live show does rock, a lot more than his albums do and a lot more than I expected it to.

I own 5 of his albums (although I only paid for two of them, shhhhh. Actually, technically I paid for Reckless too, as I bought it as a present for someone then borrowed and copied it :p), and the order I'd rank them in is:

1. Reckless (a really good album from start to finish. Pop rock perfection really)
2. Spirit: Stallion Of The Cimarron soundtrack (being a soundtrack it does tend to have too many reprises of songs, but in general it's a really atmospheric piece of work)
3. 18 Til' I Die (Very hit and miss, about half of it is decent, and half is filler.)
4. 11 (Completely by the numbers, but most of it is pretty good)
5. Room Service (About half pretty good, a quarter filler, and a quarter just rubbish)

And I'd say my top 10 songs, in no order, would be:

Summer Of '69
One Night Love Affair
Somebody
Everything I Do
Have You Ever Really Loved A Woman
It's Only Love
Ain't Gonna Cry
Sound The Bugle
18 Til I Die
Brothers Under The Sun

Something like that

jovi 94 02-03-2009 05:47 PM

seen bryan adams in the odyssey, belfast 2 or 3 years ago. he was brilliant. always been my favourite solo artist behind mj, although i think his recent stuff is pisch since 1998-9. bought the anthology in 2005.

personal favourite songs are

cuts like a knife
everybody needs somebody.
back to you
cant stop this thing we've started &
run to you