Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Anything Thread (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=69483)

(Jimmy) 06-12-2016 07:11 AM

Hey, I found my old Slippery When Wet cassette. It's the one I bought in 1986. It was inside the tape player of an old radio in an old box full of junk. Can you believe that shit? I was 16 when I bought that tape. I also found my Mike Tramp Bootleg Series Box set. The 7 CD one with all of the demos you can't find on youtube. Crazy, crazy stuff.

Anyway. I never really post here. I just read the forum.

Also, hey, my Reckless Love cds came yesterday. Good band...

Rdkopper 06-12-2016 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by (Jimmy) (Post 1201705)
Hey, I found my old Slippery When Wet cassette. It's the one I bought in 1986. It was inside the tape player of an old radio in an old box full of junk. Can you believe that shit? I was 16 when I bought that tape. I also found my Mike Tramp Bootleg Series Box set. The 7 CD one with all of the demos you can't find on youtube. Crazy, crazy stuff.

Anyway. I never really post here. I just read the forum.

Also, hey, my Reckless Love cds came yesterday. Good band...

I'll one up that... I have a display case that has all the original tapes I purchased when the music came out, same with the CDs, same with DVDs, VHS, boots, singles, movies etc... I would actually buy both tapes and CDs (and actually records too)...

Even back in the day, I was smart enough to make copies so I wouldn't wear out the originals... I even repurchase the entire collection though one of those CD purchase places (BMG Music / Columbia House) to have a copy of everything for my car... I spent tons of money on this band, especially on the imports to get the bonus tracks...

Now, I have 100% of my collection on a 64G SD Card... It's all organized in folders (I actually have 2, one for a backup and the other is in my phone - plus it's all on my pc too... I'll eventually upload it all to a cloud so I could share it with all)

So yeah, I have this Mini Bon Jovi museum sitting in my house and there is never a need to take anything from it because it's all on a chip the size of my pinky nail...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Becky 06-12-2016 11:47 PM

I proudly wore out my original cassette tape of New Jersey. Remember when cassette tapes were clear back then except for a bit of a colored strip? I played mine so much the colored strip wore through where the wheels were and you could even hear the b-side bleeding through on the a-side on certain songs. I would walk for hours a day listening to that tape over and over and over. That copy of New Jersey belongs in a museum for surviving such abuse!

Alphavictim 06-13-2016 12:30 AM

Since this IS the anything thread... it's often cited that Bon Jovi succesfully became more than an 80s band. However, are there any fans of the band that got into the band from a different angle? Say it's 1994, you're a fan of Soul Asylum, and you like Saturday Night. Are these people still around?

I'd say no. Reckless Love were just mentioned. These guys have an 80s sound going. Bon Jovi don't anymore. However, many fans of the 80s sound are still around, because this is the era that defined the band. I don't see fans of later sound incarnations still being around, but maybe I'm wrong?

JackieBlue 06-13-2016 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1201710)
Since this IS the anything thread... it's often cited that Bon Jovi succesfully became more than an 80s band. However, are there any fans of the band that got into the band from a different angle? Say it's 1994, you're a fan of Soul Asylum, and you like Saturday Night. Are these people still around?

I'd say no. Reckless Love were just mentioned. These guys have an 80s sound going. Bon Jovi don't anymore. However, many fans of the 80s sound are still around, because this is the era that defined the band. I don't see fans of later sound incarnations still being around, but maybe I'm wrong?

I'm still here and I knew "of" them only vaguely in the 80s and 90s because I was totally absorbed in church music at the time. My dad watched a lot of CMT, so I actually got into Bon Jovi as a result of the WSYCGH video and the CMT Crossroads event they did with Sugarland. I bought HAND, then I backtracked to their earlier stuff to catch up, loved Lost Highway from Day One, and haven't really been disappointed by anything they released before or since, including the solo projects from Richie, David, and Jon.

I love this band!! :D

Alphavictim 06-13-2016 02:05 AM

Well it's not like they changed their sound since the Lost Highway era.

Javier 06-13-2016 02:38 AM

Quote:

I'm here and I got into the band with Always and These Days. I was 9 years old and those were the first Cd's I bought. It was a good time to get into the band because of the break it allowed me to go back on the discography and by the time I had them all Crush was about to come out. Crazy how much of my life has Bon Jovi playing in the background.

JackieBlue 06-13-2016 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1201712)
Well it's not like they changed their sound since the Lost Highway era.

To be honest, I just don't see a huge difference between LH and a lot of their previous music either. It all sounds like Bon Jovi to me. There's enough similarity as well variety in styles that I'm sure you could cherry-pick a song or songs from every album and still come up with a cohesive mix.

But I'm not sure what that has to do with the price of eggs in China anyway. I just mentioned LH because it was their first release after I got interested in the band. I assume it would still qualify as one of the "later sound incarnations". Or maybe I misunderstood your questions.

You asked if there are any fans that got into the band from a different angle? I became aware of them through their association with Sugarland.

You asked if these people are still around? Yes.

You said you don't see fans of later sound incarnations still being around. I said I started with WSYCGH and I haven't really been disappointed by anything they released before or since, which I think qualifies me as a fan of their later sound incarnations.

In other words, I like everything from Runaway right straight through Burning Bridges. And I'm still still here. :D

Am I still missing your point?

jovifan93 06-13-2016 10:25 AM

Quote:

I never really took notice of BJ in the 80s, probably, because I was still a kid back then ;-) My first notice of BJ, I took with the Keep The Faith video on MTV, followed by Bed Of Roses, and then I bought the album and loved it instantly. Then gone back in time to the earlier stuff, and then These Days came out and I finally got to see my first concert :-)

But you could say I'm more a fan of the "later sound incarnations", since I for example don't really appreciate the first two albums and half of Slippery. New Jersey onwards is near perfect, with some fillers here and there (most of them on Crush for me).

Bounce7800 06-13-2016 01:53 PM

Always hooked me in, in '94 which led me to getting Crossroads on tape, then These Days when it came out and after being obsessed with that, it was time to get the complete back catalogue.

I had a vague recollection of what the songs were on Crossroad, but not too much so even though I became fans of the 80s songs in time, it wasn't what brought me in (due to my age, I was 13 when Always came out).

The new stuff still does it for me, it's not comparable to their heyday but it's still enjoyable enough and I'm sure a lot of people could take a few songs from each album regardless of whether they are an 80s/90s/00s joiner- but those who were there at the time of the 80s are the ones who hark back to that period the most as that was when they were superstars.