Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2020: The New Album (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70436)

bonjovi90 03-11-2019 03:09 PM

I'd simply be happy if this album has any proper topics other than "mostly observations" like cats in trees and pretzel men wearing gucci glasses and the state of the economy...

Captain_jovi 03-11-2019 03:29 PM

My hot take: I'm fine with lyrics like that because it takes some sort of creativity. The juxtaposition of low income earners wearing expensive glasses isn't a shit observation where as slapping together positive cliches is just lazy. It comes down to performance as well. Honestly In These Arms lyrics aren't great but he sings the hell out of that. If it takes digital editing to get him to that point and it's too obvious it's very hard to get into it.

THINFS had a bunch of songs with vocal takes that sounded so manipulated and kind of distorted, I fear we'll get an entire album of songs with his voice in that state because we know how he sounds live now.

rocknation 03-11-2019 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burlhouse (Post 1251472)
Day one. Song one. New record. See ya! - JBJ
https://www.instagram.com/bonjovi_in...d=ua4z3fshh5cc

No Shanks?

liljovi93 03-11-2019 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocknation (Post 1251529)
No Shanks?

Yeah he was in the right corner

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

TheOriginalJez 03-11-2019 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1251474)
Phil X with them, the full band in one room for working on the song. Off to a decent start :)

I think if we're going to be wildly speculative the best thing to take from that pan is that Phil seems very much to be positioned as lead guitarist - Shanks is off to the side, guitar, yes, but also producer. Phil lead, Shanks colour and I think we'd all be ok with that.

The other positive thing is that Shanks doesn't seem to have said anything about writing with Jon - doesn't mean it hasn't happened but if Jon's bringing a bunch of scrappy self-made demos to this it looks like Dave, Tico, Hugh and Phil at the centre of the creative process.

Lastly, and this is being both wildly speculative and wildly assumptive since Phil is constantly excited about everything, Phil's tweet about day one was very upbeat. We all want a rock record - and given his preferred output if he really is happy about it then it's going to rock. That one song is anyway.

YOVANAfromPeru 03-11-2019 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOriginalJez (Post 1251532)
Shanks doesn't seem to have said anything about writing with Jon - doesn't mean it hasn't happened but if Jon's bringing a bunch of scrappy self-made demos to this it looks like Dave, Tico, Hugh and Phil at the centre of the creative process.

Shanks has posted before on his instagram that he was writing with JBJ for this new album...

One thing I can't stand in general is BOREDOM... so all I'm asking to JBJ and Captain_jovi is that things need to be fun... lol.

bonjovi90 03-11-2019 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru (Post 1251533)
Shanks has posted before on his instagram that he was writing with JBJ for this new album...

One thing I can't stand in general is BOREDOM... so all I'm asking to JBJ and Captain_jovi is that things need to be fun... lol.

As MUCH fun as We Got It Going On and I Love This Town or I'll Sleep When I'm Dead are? :rolleyes:

Or real fun? :D

YOVANAfromPeru 03-11-2019 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1251536)
As MUCH fun as We Got It Going On and I Love This Town or I'll Sleep When I'm Dead are? :rolleyes:

Or real fun? :D

Maybe my concept of "fun" is way too "wild" for you lol, 'cause the songs you mentioned make me literally "sleep" at concerts... and I know you were ironic, hihih.

bjcrazycpa 03-11-2019 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1251519)
My hot take: I'm fine with lyrics like that because it takes some sort of creativity. The juxtaposition of low income earners wearing expensive glasses isn't a shit observation where as slapping together positive cliches is just lazy. It comes down to performance as well.

Got to say totally agree with you on the lyrics Matt. I'd rather have some weird lyrics than something that has been repeated over and over.

TheseDaysEra 03-12-2019 02:34 AM

Shanks yet again :mad:
that guy ruined Bon Jovi. Not his fault, he was hired to do his job and he's done a good job as a whole. But he's ruined BJ. Period.

Jeeper 03-12-2019 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheseDaysEra (Post 1251554)
Shanks yet again :mad:

that guy ruined Bon Jovi. Not his fault, he was hired to do his job and he's done a good job as a whole. But he's ruined BJ. Period.

Jon’s stubbornness or reluctance to work with other producers is the problem along with his obvious vocal issues.

It’s encouraging to see the band in the studio together rather than just Jon and Shanks huddled over a Mac.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Javier 03-12-2019 03:02 PM

Has this been posted here anywhere?? First I've come across this.

https://youtu.be/WuYGIjYzDq0

liljovi93 03-12-2019 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javier (Post 1251573)

Yeah it was posted a year or so ago. Not for the new album.

rolo_tomachi 03-12-2019 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liljovi93 (Post 1251574)
Yeah it was posted a year or so ago. Not for the new album.

I don't think the new album will sound different from this.

liljovi93 03-12-2019 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1251582)
I don't think the new album will sound different from this.

Agreed.

Jovi98 03-12-2019 09:17 PM

Quote:

The snippet of the song was appeared in the site "Music Mafia" or something like that 1 or 2 years ago.... Now the site is no more available.

It's more probably an outtake from THINFS.....

YOVANAfromPeru 03-12-2019 09:51 PM

Quote:

https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/bon-j...d-song-t70375/

Javier 03-12-2019 10:23 PM

Huh, thanks!! Sounded Kinder of cool if not a bit formulaic. First I heard of it. Weird that no full song was leaked...

Jovi98 03-13-2019 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javier (Post 1251592)
Huh, thanks!! Sounded Kinder of cool if not a bit formulaic. First I heard of it. Weird that no full song was leaked...

Also the snippet of Mona Lisa is on Youtube since by 2013 and the full song is not leaked yet...

And i think that for now there's no possibility to have the full songs...

Me for example....i'm waiting the snippet of the original version of It only takes one to say goodbye... but i know that for now there's no possibility to have the song , but someday the Bon Jovi version of the song i hope"i know" will appear on internet.

So... I'm waiting :)

bonjovi90 03-13-2019 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jovi98 (Post 1251597)
Also the snippet of Mona Lisa is on Youtube since by 2013 and the full song is not leaked yet...

And i think that for now there's no possibility to have the full songs...

Me for example....i'm waiting the snippet of the original version of It only takes one to say goodbye... but i know that for now there's no possibility to have the song , but someday the Bon Jovi version of the song i hope"i know" will appear on internet.

So... I'm waiting :)

The promo CD with Mona Lisa was sold via eBay in 2013 and the seller had provided a sample for the bidders to prove that it wasn't fake.
But, judging from the samples, neither Mona Lisa nor Hurricane Butterfly sound like anything special or worth spending as much money on as some crazy collectors did.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk

steel_horse75 03-13-2019 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1251598)
The promo CD with Mona Lisa was sold via eBay in 2013 and the seller had provided a sample for the bidders to prove that it wasn't fake.
But, judging from the samples, neither Mona Lisa nor Hurricane Butterfly sound like anything special or worth spending as much money on as some crazy collectors did.

Mona Lisa is only wanted so bad because its unavailable. From what I heard I thought it sounded crap hence why its never been released.

In football/Soccer we have a thing where a player somehow gets better every time he doesn't play. That's what Mona Lisa reminds me of.

Jovi98 03-13-2019 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1251598)

But how many copies have been sold of the promo cd with Mona Lisa?

I mean ,if it was a promo CD , why the song is rare… ?

Fredrik 03-13-2019 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1251407)
With the exception of New Jersey, they've never had an all killers, no fillers album.

Yes.

These Days.

bonjovi90 03-13-2019 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jovi98 (Post 1251602)
But how many copies have been sold of the promo cd with Mona Lisa?

I mean ,if it was a promo CD , why the song is rare… ?

This was one promo CD that went up for sale, probably originally given to some A&R guy at a record company and leaked from there. It's not something that went out to radio.
And I agree with steel horse, there's a reason why that song was never seen again near Bounce or on the Box Set. It's just not good.

bonjovi90 03-13-2019 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredrik (Post 1251604)
Yes.

These Days.

If That's What It Takes never cut it for me. But it's down to personal taste there, These Days still is close to perfection.

YOVANAfromPeru 03-14-2019 01:49 AM

New Jersey double album and These Days are definitely my favorites albums.

So when JBJ said in 2016 that he thought that if we "like" Have A Nice Day and These Days albums we were going to "love" This House Is Not For Sale... O_O!!! (maybe he still is a funny guy... >_< haha.)

Captain_jovi 03-14-2019 04:04 AM

I halfway see what he was trying to say. It got back some of the agression that was missing on The Circle and WAN. The Circle was really lush, echo-y productions but fell flat as far far off the map. Lyrically THINFS, to me, is a genuine attempt. I do hear shades of My Guitar Lies Bleeding....in Devil's in the Temple. I think what he said missed the mark but it's a hell of a lot closer than the bullshit "we haven't had this much fun in the studio since Slippery" we got over and over and over again in the 2000s.

jazzsta 03-14-2019 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1251601)
In football/Soccer we have a thing where a player somehow gets better every time he doesn't play. That's what Mona Lisa reminds me of.

haha that was a good one!

jazzsta 03-14-2019 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1251606)
If That's What It Takes never cut it for me. But it's down to personal taste there, These Days still is close to perfection.

Back in the day I also regarded this song as being too pop, cliché and "harmless to the ears". Lately I am enjoying it well. It is musically rich, nicely performed and fun. More fun than .. let's say 85% of Crush album.

Jeeper 03-14-2019 09:48 AM

I actually prefer the demo of If That’s What It Takes.

It would be a great bit of PR if they released little snippets of songs, even if it was just a guitar riff or baseline, even some lyrics or song titles. Something to hopefully spike a bit of interest or excitement.

Supersonic 03-14-2019 09:58 AM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 1251630)
It would be a great bit of PR if they released little snippets of songs, even if it was just a guitar riff or baseline, even some lyrics or song titles. Something to hopefully spike a bit of interest or excitement.

Nah...Bon Jovi haven't released anything relevant to the charts in about 15 years. Them fiddling around won't generate any interest to anyone, they've become a band who "used to release good albums" to the general public. The only ones interested in new Bon Jovi material are the select few who still buy the albums regardless of what's on it.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Walleris 03-14-2019 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1251631)
Aloha !

Nah...Bon Jovi haven't released anything relevant to the charts in about 15 years. Them fiddling around won't generate any interest to anyone, they've become a band who "used to release good albums" to the general public. The only ones interested in new Bon Jovi material are the select few who still buy the albums regardless of what's on it.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

I think he meant posting those little clips in the context of just social media activity to build anticipation for core fanbase, not so much the general public. In which case, I would agree, because their current social media "strategy" is a disaster. I can't remember a single post that was worth my attention in the last ~3 years on Bon Jovi facebook aside from the "reunion picture" from HOF rehearsals with Richie and Alec.

Jeeper 03-14-2019 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleris (Post 1251636)
I think he meant posting those little clips in the context of just social media activity to build anticipation for core fanbase, not so much the general public. In which case, I would agree, because their current social media "strategy" is a disaster. I can't remember a single post that was worth my attention in the last ~3 years on Bon Jovi facebook aside from the "reunion picture" from HOF rehearsals with Richie and Alec.

Yeah, I meant for the remaining fans or the ones in two minds whether to bother with a new release.

I agree with you both regarding general public interest.

Their social media/website is piss poor - unless you want a T-shirt or cup, or fancy a cruise...

JackieBlue 03-14-2019 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1251624)
I... I do hear shades of My Guitar Lies Bleeding....in Devil's in the Temple. I think what he said missed the mark but it's a hell of a lot closer than the bullshit "we haven't had this much fun in the studio since Slippery" we got over and over and over again in the 2000s.

I see some of MGLBIMA in Scars on This Guitar, maybe; but DITT? I'm afraid you'll have to explain that one to me. :)

I can't fact-check right now; but for what it's worth, this is what I remember about the TD and HAND comparison.

Jon made that statement in a FB Q&A, iirc; and although someone had submitted a specific question about what the chances would be of us getting another HAND or TD, Jon was responding to a different question when he said, "if you liked TD and HAND, you'll love the new album." It seemed like he had pulled those two albums out of the air; but I remember thinking he was probably just trying to answer both questions at once by naming those titles.

It could also be that he chose those particular albums in response to social media chatter going around about that time. Fans hadn't responded well to his statement, from an earlier interview, that his inspiration for songs came from reading the newspaper; and they were tired of "it's your life so get up off your knees and climb that mountain." TD and HAND were mentioned a lot by fans who were hoping that the Richie BS, the label's betrayal, and the heartbreak of losing out on the Bills might lead to songs that had the honest feeling and depth of TD, or that Jon's anger might come out in some aggressive rock sounds they hadn't heard since HAND.

Captain_jovi 03-14-2019 04:15 PM

The part right as the bridge starts reminds me of the vibe MGLBITA had. That dark, gloomier note choices aren't really a vibe the band gives off often so when they do it kind of stands out a bit.

JackieBlue 03-14-2019 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1251657)
The part right as the bridge starts reminds me of the vibe MGLBITA had. That dark, gloomier note choices aren't really a vibe the band gives off often so when they do it kind of stands out a bit.

Gotcha. I was thinking more of the lyrics. As usual. :roll:

YOVANAfromPeru 03-14-2019 04:28 PM

The song itself THINFS sounds like Have A Nice Day in the first place, and remember this song was written acoustically... (which I prefer).
I could talk for ages about comparisons between THINFS with Have A Nice Day or These Days... The thing is that I LOVE These Days, I LIKE Have A Nice Day, I don't like THINFS...

Captain_jovi 03-14-2019 05:17 PM

But since the bulk of the catalouge has been written acoustically I don't now how much that applies.

YOVANAfromPeru 03-14-2019 05:24 PM

That in this case/particular song I like more the acoustic version...
and I'm not gonna say anything else 'cause I'm going to pick my ticket for the peruvian show... bye lol

JackieBlue 03-14-2019 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru (Post 1251659)
The song itself THINFS sounds like Have A Nice Day in the first place ...

That I can absolutely agree with. I don't often compare songs musically; but even I could hear that similarity, at least in the intros! :)