Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Where has the REAL Jon gone? (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70023)

Rdkopper 06-15-2017 01:39 AM

Just saw that myself Rosa and just so happens to prove my points once again...

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

Javier 06-15-2017 02:31 AM

I can honestly say that I have never been bullied or made fun of for my tastes in music (and I have pretty wide tastes that could be considered ridiculous to a lot of Rock fans). You guys live near some real assholes....

Rdkopper 06-15-2017 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javier (Post 1225269)
I can honestly say that I have never been bullied or made fun of for my tastes in music (and I have pretty wide tastes that could be considered ridiculous to a lot of Rock fans). You guys live near some real assholes....

Lol.....

Savvi 06-15-2017 04:16 AM

I think some people might be confusing "popularity" and "socially accepted" with "relevant".

Is Donald Trump cool? No. Is he relevant? Yes.

Are vinyl records cool? Yes. Are they relevant? No.

Like I said before, Bon Jovi and U2 have made their mark. They will be forever honoured for their anthems and worldwide legacy. Neither are relevant though.

This doesn't mean that they don't have fans, or that their new music is poor quality, or that they can't sell out stadiums. It just means they no longer make a massive impact in their respective industry.

I could be the one in the wrong. Maybe I'm the one seeing things incorrectly. But that's my view and explanation on the argument of relevane anyway.

Rdkopper 06-15-2017 04:37 AM

I totally agree with the above.. and I think everyone also agrees and understands...

Panda just makes up fake stats in his head that ranks U2's non relevance higher than Bon Jovi's non relevance...

It's like having two empty glasses but the one on the left has more in it...

Captain_jovi 06-15-2017 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savvi (Post 1225273)
I think some people might be confusing "popularity" and "socially accepted" with "relevant".

Is Donald Trump cool? No. Is he relevant? Yes.

Are vinyl records cool? Yes. Are they relevant? No.

Like I said before, Bon Jovi and U2 have made their mark. They will be forever honoured for their anthems and worldwide legacy. Neither are relevant though.

This doesn't mean that they don't have fans, or that their new music is poor quality, or that they can't sell out stadiums. It just means they no longer make a massive impact in their respective industry.

I could be the one in the wrong. Maybe I'm the one seeing things incorrectly. But that's my view and explanation on the argument of relevane anyway.

This is closer to what I was trying to say. Both have younger fans that know the hits but people are kidding themselves if they're saying the younger crowd goes nuts for new material from either.

BJFan99 06-15-2017 07:29 AM

Why did this discussion go completely off-topic?

By the way, THIS is what I miss the most about JBJ:

https://youtu.be/MfJ5MikUdSk

The way he used to get carried away during songs like Saturday Night, IBTFY, KTF etc. was unique and exciting. Nowadays, he runs through about 80% of the current live set like he was thinking about something else pretty much all the time. IMO the only songs he's been truly delivering on during the THINFS tour (besides the new ones) have been LYHOM, BM and Always.

rokuli 06-15-2017 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1225257)
Are you sure you're just not getting made fun of, period?

This isnt appropriate comment, is it?

The thing is, Bon Jovi are widely considered as CHEESY among male-generation. I've felt this since late 80s when I was the biggest fan. After Slippery Bon Jovi wasnt allowed if you were a true metal/rock/pop/disco/whatever-head. Girls band, soft ballads. It was hard to be a dude and get bullied a bit because you were wearing Jovi-shirt...!

Thats not how I felt back in the day. I always adored sognwriting skills & musicianship which were both unnoticed because of Jon's look and hit songs.

BUT thats also how I feel nowdays. If today I say I dig Bon Jovi, I will always add "the 80s stuff" because later catalog isnt widely regarded as "true music" and Jon is considered as too full of himself/too serious/etc...

Eveline 06-15-2017 11:22 AM

You know what? Bon Jovi is STILL regarded as a rock or rock'n'roll band among people in their 20s and early 30s. I've been to a lot of clubs and all these bands and musicians play at least one of BJ songs, having so much fun doing so! BJ catalogue is so vast and diverse it's just unfair to narrow it down to SWW and some 'cheesy' anthems which work well in arenas. I haven't listened to U2 for ages, nor have I heard anyone playing their stuff live. When I talk to my friends, they know some BJ classics like IML, LOAP or Always. I can't speak on behalf of teenagers, though. They are deinifitely into the stuff you'd hear on the radio nowadays which is a shame really. Some say the 80s were kitsch but just look at the musicians today. The girls looking like whores, twerking their butts to some up-tempo songs and guys trying to either fit a macho type with their rapping or a baby boy singing about a broken heart. Do we really care what is relevant to really young people if we ourselves don't listen to that stuff either? To fully appreciate Bon Jovi songs both in the musical and lyrical content you need to be mature or at least find the reference to your own life.

Captain_jovi 06-15-2017 07:39 PM

I truly cannot believe I have to say this but please let's keep the childish insults out of this debate. If all you want to do is trash someone else you will be banned. We're getting complaints and posts reported because it's getting out of hand.