Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Richie Sambora (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70867)

rickysambo 11-21-2023 04:06 PM

C'mon that's a fun song. Dolly Parton is 200 years old, you gotta admire her zest to do this project with so many artists. It's a bummer that Richie's name isn't featured on the title/thumbnail. Riff/Rhythm: Solid talk box stuff, groovy. Solo: Bad Medicine Lite? Love the 80s oomph it has even though it's relatively simple (missing that vintage Richie flurry towards the end; understandable since it's not a BJ/RS song). Will listen to Richie's whammy bar and pentatonics over anybody else's because that's what I done all my life.

B.J. Always 11-24-2023 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faceman (Post 1286554)
About the real reason can only be speculated.

Before he sold his rights, everytime one of his songs got played on the radio, during a sports event, in a bar, in a movie etc. he got a certain amount of money (and every other co-writer, too).
Now, since he sold his rights to a company, this company gets all his royalties. For the other co-writers nothing has changed, they get their royalties the same way and in the same amount like before.

The advantage for Richie in the first place: He got a lot of money on short-term.
I guess the real figures aren't public, but it is safe to say that it would have taken tens of years to get the same amount via royalties.
At some point there will be the break-even point, when the company has earned more money with the royalties than they have paid for. That's what makes it interesting for them.

I guess Richie just saw the opportunity to make a lot of money in short-term which he can pass on to Ava when someday his time on earth is over. It is a little bit like having stocks. As long as you hold them, you do have the value, but unless you sell them you can't use it for anything.
I'm sure he did the math about the break-even point and came to the conclusion that the deal is absolutely fine.

Why didn't Jon sell his rights as well? Once again one can only guess. Maybe he didn't had an offer like Richie (doubtful), maybe he wasn't satisfied with the amount of money he was offered (quite possible), maybe he just wants to hold on to his rights so that he can still decide about the usage of his songs...
Both ways have their pros and their cons.

Thanks for this great explanation :)

You mentioned usage of the songs. When there are multiple song writers how does that work out? Does anyone wanting to use the song have to get all the writers O.K. before they can use the song?

Captain_jovi 11-25-2023 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B.J. Always (Post 1286609)
Thanks for this great explanation :)

You mentioned usage of the songs. When there are multiple song writers how does that work out? Does anyone wanting to use the song have to get all the writers O.K. before they can use the song?

Yeah, they need to get agreements from each publisher/company

Kova 11-25-2023 10:27 PM

Some new details, but nothing spectacular.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/us-cele...-40th-31505355

It's clear now that Richie desperately wants to come back, but Jon isn't opening the door in the slightest.

I think they should get that Aerosmith shrink again like in 1990., sit down face to face, and not leave the room until they sort it out.

roach8812 11-26-2023 03:57 AM

Despite every rumor/speculation and the uncertainty of it all, I still keep the faith. I believe. If Axl Rose and Slash could do it, so can these two.

nikos greece 11-26-2023 12:21 PM

Imo jon prefers the current situation where noone can question his decisions...a role that richie probably had before he left and making it more of a compromise in some aspects..
Richie is a liability due to his past and probably sometimes i assume he could be difficult to work with but at this point jon cant really know, 10 yrs after if Richie has his act together or not, he was a founding member of the band, he added many things in the bands sound and was a capable songwriter to say the least so why all this unwillingless to let Richie join the band and give him a chance?
Richie has stated many times he wants back, at this point jon could force his own terms in every way..
Furthermore noone is getting younger, from a business standpoint jon would benefit as well so i am afraid that the main reason is that he is satisfied with way things run at bj right now and doesnt want to have another guy who could change the dynamics and the routine of the band.

Supersonic 11-26-2023 02:35 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kova (Post 1286618)
Some new details, but nothing spectacular.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/us-cele...-40th-31505355

It's clear now that Richie desperately wants to come back, but Jon isn't opening the door in the slightest.

This is an article from the Sun, so pretty much made up news.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Eveline 11-26-2023 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kova (Post 1286618)

I think they should get that Aerosmith shrink again like in 1990., sit down face to face, and not leave the room until they sort it out.

Why should they go back together at all? To make more $$$$ or please the fans who in majority don't care at all?

Desperately is a strong word. If he was 'desperate', he wouldn't have said anything about wanting Shanks and Phil off the stage or commenting on Jon's shot voice. He would say everything is perfect and he can't wait to share the stage with his new brothers and the mike with Jonny.

If anything, Richie wants to be back for some kind of closure, although IMO it already happened in Cleveland 5 years ago.

bonboy25 11-27-2023 01:17 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if it was just Jon's ego, why he won't let Richie back in. Richie can still sing. Maybe not as well as he could, but comparatively to Jon, he sings great! Hell, even amazingly!

Rdkopper 11-27-2023 02:08 AM

I think Richie is too out there and Jon can't deal with that type of energy anymore.

The guy is too much of a lose cannon.

Sent from my SM-A136U using Tapatalk