Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Other Bands (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   "21st Century Breakdown"- Green Day (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=47604)

Crushgen24/88 02-12-2009 07:42 AM

"21st Century Breakdown"- Green Day

I haven't been this excited for an album in a LONG time. I've been a Green Day fan since I was about 12, and love all their old stuff. However, American Idiot came out when I was 16 and it changed my life. I still consider it a absolutely flawless album. So granted, I don't think the new record will be able to claim that. I'm still stoked though, and I'm loving what I've seen so far, from the format to the artwork.

http://www.greenday.com/splash/splash.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/21st_Century_Breakdown

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q...own_Album_.jpg

slippery89 02-12-2009 10:22 PM

I' am also very excited about the new album. It was American Idiot that got me into them, before that I just liked them a little and mostly just liked Good Riddance...I definitely want to catch them on their next tour.

liljovi93 02-12-2009 11:33 PM

I like a few songs. Haven't listened to their albums. Only songs they have brought out. I love "Minority."

JerseyboyUK 02-12-2009 11:44 PM

Used to really like Green Day in my teens. Absoloutly hated American Idiot though.

Crushgen24/88 02-13-2009 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerseyboyUK (Post 905983)
Absoloutly hated American Idiot though.

How come, and have you listened to the whole record?
(I'm not asking to bitch at you, just that I know it turned some people off and I'm always curious as to why)

RyanBounce04 02-13-2009 05:50 AM

I was actually going to make a thread about this yesterday but I didn't get around to it so thanks! I think this is the most excited I've been about a record since American Idiot and Have A Nice Day. I liked the direction Green Day went in 2004 and I'm glad that they've decided to sorta, keep it in this direction. The album sounds like it's going to be a monster like American Idiot, but even more thematic. It's certainly going to be SO hard to top American Idiot because honestly, it's probably my favorite album of all-time (Yes, more than any other Bon Jovi record). So bring it on already!!!

Ryan

Goldsausage 02-13-2009 11:47 AM

There's been a lot of uproar and upset over the artwork but I like it :)

As for Green Day itself - Loved American Idiot when it came out, before I was a proper music fan. I loved Bullet In A Bible as well, even though I still haven't got round to watching the DVD yet. But anyhow, not into them much at all anymore but I'll give this album a listen, it sounds interesting.

Oh, and I prefered the live versions from Bullet more than the studio versions. Oh and Homecoming rocks :D And you may take that to the bank.

Captain Walrus 02-13-2009 02:31 PM

American Idiot was a great album IMO, and this looks like it could be good too ... I would hope so after it's been 5 years in the making!

slippery89 02-14-2009 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerseyboyUK (Post 905983)
Used to really like Green Day in my teens. Absoloutly hated American Idiot though.

American Idiot was epic!!!!:cool:

JerseyboyUK 02-14-2009 01:15 PM

Yeah, epic fail.

Crushgen24/88 02-15-2009 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerseyboyUK (Post 906228)
Yeah, epic fail.

You did not just call the album that contains Jesus of Suburbia (One of the greatest songs EVER IMO) "Epic Fail"..... those are fighting words :p;) J/K

lmno655 02-15-2009 06:27 AM

no1

hope you guys add rose online soon...i refuse to buy from other sites as i dont trust them

jade4jovi 02-16-2009 06:20 PM

Now this is one of the bands I find to be very overrated. I like a handful of their songs, but I don't personaly think they're as amazing as made out. "Everyone" at school was into them, and one of my friends esp. kept trying to get me into them. Bar those handful of songs, they just don't really do it for me.

UKjovi 02-17-2009 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Walrus (Post 906057)
American Idiot was a great album IMO, and this looks like it could be good too ... I would hope so after it's been 5 years in the making!

Agreed and looking forward to it

Alex 02-17-2009 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UKjovi (Post 906728)
Agreed and looking forward to it

I agree as well. And I also like the artwork!

Panda 03-14-2009 05:13 AM

It is confirmed that the album will be broken down into three parts, and the full album will be a total of 16 songs.

Part 1: Heroes and Cons
Confirmed tracks:
1. 21st Century Breakdown
2. Know Your Enemy
3. Viva la Gloria
4. Before the Lobotomy
5. Christian's Inferno
6. Last Night on Earth

Part 2: Charlatans and Saints
Confirmed tracks:
1. March of the Dogs
2. Restless Heart Syndrome

Part 3: Horseshoes and Handgrenades
Confirmed tracks:
1. 21 Guns

***Also, the first single will be called "Know Your Enemy" and will be released April 20.

***The Album will be released May 8

***World Tour starting July 2009

The album will have a total of 16 songs and is divided into three movements: "Heroes and Cons," "Charlatans and Saints," and "Horseshoes and Handgrenades." Musically, the album continues the rock opera style of American Idiot. Mike Dirnt told Alternative Press magazine that the songs "speak to each other the way the songs on Born to Run speak to each other. I don't know if you'd call it a 'concept album,' but there's a thread that connects everything."

MTV compared the material to classic rockers like The Who. Spin Magazine claimed the title track is "Green Day's most epic song yet."

UKjovi 03-14-2009 10:59 AM

Thanks for the info

Captain Walrus 03-14-2009 04:55 PM

So has this first single been heard yet? I mean, has it been released to radio / the internet?

Panda 03-15-2009 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Walrus (Post 911512)
So has this first single been heard yet? I mean, has it been released to radio / the internet?

If you go to www.greenday.com and you can sample the first minute of a song, but it is SHIT, because you here two chords strummed over and over again. But might as well check it out if your interested. I like the feel of it. And I can't find anything leaked.....

liljovi93 03-15-2009 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bang A Drum (Post 911614)
If you go to www.greenday.com and you can sample the first minute of a song, but it is SHIT, because you here two chords strummed over and over again. But might as well check it out if your interested. I like the feel of it. And I can't find anything leaked.....

Yeah, that is crap.

Panda 04-06-2009 08:42 AM

Oh my God.. I heard all of "21st Century Breakdown" the song, and it is amazing....and its only the demo. It reminds me almost of the song "Homecoming" off American Idiot. Wow..... I also heard a 40 second clip of "Know Your Enemy".... Which is even better than the title track to be honest.... I'm very much looking forward to the album, and all of Know your enemy in a couple of weeks....

Know Your Enemy (40 second clip):

21st Century Breakdown (song- over 7 min long!)

There is also this song, but I don't know if it actually is Green Day as there are no vocals, just instrumental.

Last Night On Earth

Crushgen24/88 04-06-2009 08:53 AM

Not listening to anything until the album comes out, possibly not even the single.
Though, any comparison to "Homecoming" is awesome to me, as I love that suite.

Panda 04-06-2009 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crushgen24/88 (Post 914677)
Not listening to anything until the album comes out, possibly not even the single.
Though, any comparison to "Homecoming" is awesome to me, as I love that suite.

You will be listening to the radio in a couple weeks.... and think "This new song is pretty good.... it sounds almost like.... damnit..." Just listen to it. As far as I'm concerned, 21st Century Breakdown is just a demo. DOOOOO it. You waited 5 years....

Crushgen24/88 04-06-2009 09:58 AM

I don't listen to the radio (and when I do, it's classic rock), so that won't be an issue.
As for listening, it's not even due to it being a leak or anything, it's more to do with the fact that I want to hear the whole album, as one entity first. It is a concept record, to some extent.

Panda 04-06-2009 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crushgen24/88 (Post 914681)
I don't listen to the radio (and when I do, it's classic rock), so that won't be an issue.
As for listening, it's not even due to it being a leak or anything, it's more to do with the fact that I want to hear the whole album, as one entity first. It is a concept record, to some extent.

Fair enough, but I have been waiting way too long. In the last few years all I've gotten from Green Day are two cover songs, ("The Saints Are Coming" and "Working Class Hero") and a fake band that they created, that all wasn't that good.... Mother Mary was decent....but even so..... Fairly decent , but after waiting for 3 years of them "supposedly" being in the studio, I'm fed up.... Finally, new REAL Green Day...

Goldsausage 04-08-2009 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crushgen24/88 (Post 914681)

Ain't that the truth sister - I hate listening to a song from a concept album on it's own, I have to listen to the entire album :D As long as it's a good one of course, such as The Wall (Pink Floyd) or Welcome To My Nightmare (Alice Cooper).

Anyway - not really much of a Green Day listener but I'm intrigued by this album. Homecoming was the 10 minute song at the end of American Idiot, right? I ****in' loved that song.

RSROCKS 04-08-2009 03:34 PM

For some reason, I couldn't be more unexcited if I tried.

Panda 04-08-2009 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSROCKS (Post 915100)
For some reason, I couldn't be more unexcited if I tried.

If you have nothing nice to say, don't say it at all..... :(

RSROCKS 04-08-2009 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bang A Drum (Post 915122)
If you have nothing nice to say, don't say it at all..... :(

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind next time I post.

Crushgen24/88 04-09-2009 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldsausage (Post 915078)
Ain't that the truth sister - I hate listening to a song from a concept album on it's own, I have to listen to the entire album :D As long as it's a good one of course, such as The Wall (Pink Floyd) or Welcome To My Nightmare (Alice Cooper).

Anyway - not really much of a Green Day listener but I'm intrigued by this album. Homecoming was the 10 minute song at the end of American Idiot, right? I ****in' loved that song.

Yeah, that's Homecoming. And I can listen to songs off concept records on their own at times, but I want to listen to it in full first.

slippery89 04-10-2009 11:05 PM

Green Day To Celebrate Album Release with NYC Club Gig
Green Day

April 10, 2009 04:20 PM ET

David J. Prince, N.Y.
Green Day is set to appear at New York's Bowery Ballroom on May 18, just three days after the release of the band's hotly anticipated eighth studio album, "21st Century Breakdown," according to MTV Germany.

The small club show is a rarity for the band whose last album, 2004's "American Idiot," sold more than 12 million copies.

But the group has done some guerilla-style gigs in its hometown of San Francisco this past week, including a show at the 500-capacity DNA Lounge. According to the New York Times' ArtsBeat blog, the band played "21st Century Breakdown" in its entirety before running through a set of older material.

As previously reported, "21st Century Breakdown" has a narrative structure, telling the story of a young couple, Christian and Gloria. The album is divided into three acts -- "Heroes and Cons," "Charlatans and Saints" and "Horseshoes and Handgrenades" -- and includes tracks like "21 Guns," "East Jesus Nowhere," "Before the Lobotomy," and "Restless Heart Syndrome."

The album's first single, "Know Your Enemy," is set to launch April 16. The video for "Know Your Enemy," which was directed by Matthew Cullen of Motion Theory, will debut April 24 on all MTV and VH1 channels worldwide, in the first global cross-channel video premiere for MTV and VH1 networks.

Crushgen24/88 04-11-2009 09:08 AM

I will bleed to be at this show, I wonder how tickets will be handled?

Alex 04-11-2009 10:15 PM

The husband went to a listening party of the new GD album, but wasn't too thrilled about it. They've played some 8 songs - randomly, which is a shame. According to him, nothing really outstanding. Which is even a bigger shame.

UKjovi 04-12-2009 09:53 AM

Thats not good to hear :(

Captain Walrus 04-16-2009 11:12 PM

Well, Know Your Enemy is mildly underwhelming ....

Crushgen24/88 04-17-2009 11:36 PM

Resisting temptation to listen to it. I will say this, I was underwhelmed by the song "American Idiot" when it dropped, and it turned out to be off of on of the best albums (imo) ever recorded. So, I'm still anxiously awaiting May 15.

slippery89 04-18-2009 02:54 AM

I listened to the new single today and it could have easily been on the American Idiot album.

Rob 04-18-2009 08:37 PM

They'll do well to top American Idiot but I'm looking forward none the less. The singles sound ok ish.

slippery89 04-22-2009 01:47 AM

Green Day Announces Summer Tour
Green Day has announced its first full North American tour in over three years.

April 20, 2009 02:14 PM ET

Evie Nagy, N.Y.
Green Day has announced a slate of 38 summer dates that begins July 3 in Seattle and marks the chart-topping rock band's first full North American tour in more than three years.

The summer trek, which will support the trio's May 15 album "21st Century Breakdown" (Reprise Records), heads clockwise through Canada and the U.S. The band plays Midwest, East Coast and southern dates before finishing up in Los Angeles on Aug. 25. Venues will be announced at a later date.

The new album, which follows 2004's Billboard 200-topping "American Idiot," was produced by Butch Vig (Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins); the first single, "Know Your Enemy," was released to radio April 16. As Billboard previously reported, Green Day will celebrate the release with a show at New York's Bowery Ballroom on May 18.

Here are Green Day's tour dates:

July 3: Seattle, Wash.
July 4: Vancouver, British Columbia
July 6: Edmonton, Alberta
July 7: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
July 9: Winnipeg, Manitoba
July 10: Fargo, ND
July 11: Minneapolis, Minn.
July 13: Chicago, Ill.
July 14: Detroit, Mich.
July 16: Hamilton, Ont.
July 17: Ottawa, Ont.
July 18: Montreal, Quebec
July 20: Boston, Mass.
July 21: Philadelphia, Penn.
July 22: Pittsburgh, Penn.
July 24: Hartford, Conn.
July 25: Albany, NY
July 27: New York, NY
July 29: Washington, DC
July 31: Nashville, Tenn.
Aug. 1: Atlanta, GA
Aug. 3: Tampa, Fla.
Aug. 4: Miami, Fla.
Aug. 5: Orlando, Fla.
Aug. 7: New Orleans, LA
Aug. 8: Houston, TX
Aug. 9: San Antonio, TX
Aug. 11: St. Louis, MO
Aug. 12: Kansas City, MO
Aug. 13: Omaha, Neb.
Aug. 15: Denver, Colo.
Aug. 16: Salt Lake City, Utah
Aug. 18: San Jose, Calif.
Aug. 20: San Diego, Calif.
Aug. 21: Las Vegas, Nev.
Aug. 22: Phoenix, Ariz.
Aug. 24: Sacramento, Calif.
Aug. 25: Los Angeles, Calif.

steel_horse75 04-22-2009 03:04 PM

i like Green day but all their albums do sound the same-ish.

If you like thier previous albums i reckon you should like the new one

looking forward to it and its pre-ordered!!