Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What were they thinking..... (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=69896)

DryCounty 03-13-2017 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1220768)
How is I Want You a dark song?

In a lyrical sense I'd call it pretty dark. It's a quite heavy break up songs in that sense. I mean..

"I tried to drown myself in pity, but the whiskey kept calling your name"

That's pretty dark, at least to me

Walleris 03-13-2017 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DryCounty (Post 1220775)
In a lyrical sense I'd call it pretty dark. It's a quite heavy break up songs in that sense. I mean..

"I tried to drown myself in pity, but the whiskey kept calling your name"

That's pretty dark, at least to me

Replace "the whiskey" with "your memory" and you get the actual lyric ;)

DryCounty 03-13-2017 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleris (Post 1220777)
Replace "the whiskey" with "your memory" and you get the actual lyric ;)

Oh boy, my bad :puppydog: I guess you I shouldn't have gone for the lyric sites, mostly shit.
Well, still pretty dark to me.

Captain_jovi 03-13-2017 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DryCounty (Post 1220781)
Oh boy, my bad :puppydog: I guess you I shouldn't have gone for the lyric sites, mostly shit.
Well, still pretty dark to me.

Those are the actual lyrics in the album booklet too so I wouldn't feel too bad. Must have changed after it was printed.

Walleris 03-13-2017 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1220782)
Those are the actual lyrics in the album booklet too so I wouldn't feel too bad. Must have changed after it was printed.

Happens. I remember being quite bothered when I saw my These Days booklet had the words "something for the rain" instead of "shelter from the rain" for SFTP.

jovifan93 03-13-2017 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleris (Post 1220783)
Happens. I remember being quite bothered when I saw my These Days booklet had the words "something for the rain" instead of "shelter from the rain" for SFTP.

Ah, so *that's* what he's singing. I always understood "something for the rain", maybe even because I read the booklet? Could be...

jazzsta 03-13-2017 06:31 PM

interesting, this "shelter from the rain" line, I also heard as "something for the pain", maybe influenced by the booklet, whereas in the case of I Want You, I don't at all remember a reference to whiskey and I was a bit puzzled when I read it here - and relieved when I read the correct line with the word 'memory' just below.

So in one instance the booklet influenced what I was hearing, in the other I never noticed the different lyric printed...

Makes me wanna go find my booklet of KTF but it is more than a thousand miles away now. I guess I ll just google for scans. Do it the 21st century way.

Jeeper 03-13-2017 07:41 PM

Quite a few people seem to dislike Social Disease. I think it's great and unashamedly 80's. I do wonder why they didn't include other songs on SWW though - it's hardly a long album.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jovifan93 03-13-2017 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 1220794)
Quite a few people seem to dislike Social Disease. I think it's great and unashamedly 80's. I do wonder why they didn't include other songs on SWW though - it's hardly a long album.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's a good question. Was it a habit in the early/mid 80s to have shorter albums? I always thought 12 tracks would be the norm, not 10. Could've easily fitted at least Edge Of A Broken Heart onto it, as well.

Hmm, maybe I was too hard on the song, and I have quite a few (fond) memories attached to the time when I've been listening to SWW for the first time (1993), but it's a weak song nonetheless. Maybe not crap, but weak.

Becky 03-14-2017 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eveline (Post 1220737)
Talk to Jesus is one *not so hot* mess and the part with Heather puzzles me like many others here.

And different songs sound different when you're in a particular mood. Can't say I can't stand many BJ songs. Just a few exceptions to their fabulous catalogue! <3

I love that song and don't understand why people are "puzzled" about the Heather line. The character in the song is a schizophrenic with delusions of grandeur, including talking to Jesus and being married to a celebrity.

BTW, the song is basted on a true story. When Jon was younger someone came up to his house saying he talked to Jesus and Jon was naive enough at the time to talk to him without considering he might have been a threat.