Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Other Bands (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Bruuuuce (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=53654)

ticos_stick 11-21-2011 08:18 PM

Um... not sure I like the fact they're still calling it The E Street Band.

Clarence was a huge part of the spirit of that band. To just trudge off on another tour with a replacement saxophonist is a bit disrespectful to the legacy.

I know most of you will disagree, but it just feels weird and a little contrived for my liking.

milomom 11-21-2011 09:12 PM

I'm not sure why I decided to go look at the Bruce boards today. :bang: Those people make us look no only sensible, but downright cheery.

In spite of all their predictions of gloom and doom, I'm thrilled and can't wait! :D

TwinFan 11-21-2011 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ticos_stick (Post 1076886)
Um... not sure I like the fact they're still calling it The E Street Band.

Clarence was a huge part of the spirit of that band. To just trudge off on another tour with a replacement saxophonist is a bit disrespectful to the legacy.

I know most of you will disagree, but it just feels weird and a little contrived for my liking.

I agree. I'm not to big a Bruce/E Street fan, but being a saxophonist, I do know that Clarence was probably the biggest part of that band.

What is Born to Run without that glorious, uplifting sax solo? Sure, they'll have a replacement sax, and I'm sure whoever it is will be great. But he or she won't be Clarence great, nor will he or she be able to replicate the Clarence style.

P.S: This is pretty cool news. I hope he comes around the USA, maybe I could catch a show.

Kathleen 11-22-2011 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milomom (Post 1076887)
I'm not sure why I decided to go look at the Bruce boards today. :bang: Those people make us look no only sensible, but downright cheery.

In spite of all their predictions of gloom and doom, I'm thrilled and can't wait! :D

I have said this here for years. Greasy Lake is actually pretty happy but BTX is a mess. And the BS.net boards don't even exist anymore but they were even worse.

hometownboy 11-22-2011 06:02 PM

Cant bloody wait!!

The guys mentioning the absence of Clarence are completely right, it wont be the same but that music needs to be played and the sax needs to be there to keep the legend of Clarence going!!

KeepTheFaith2211 11-22-2011 06:04 PM

Will probably go to the sunderland one.

Kathleen 11-22-2011 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometownboy (Post 1076907)

The guys mentioning the absence of Clarence are completely right, it wont be the same but that music needs to be played and the sax needs to be there to keep the legend of Clarence going!!

Exactly - as an example, Led Zeppelin quit playing and recording when their drummer died, and that magnificent music wasn't heard live again until the 2007 O2 concert. That was a real shame. Play the damn music - no it won't be the same - but it wasn't the same in 2009 as it was 1979 either - so what.

asok80 11-22-2011 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathleen (Post 1076910)
Exactly - as an example, Led Zeppelin quit playing and recording when their drummer died, and that magnificent music wasn't heard live again until the 2007 O2 concert. That was a real shame. Play the damn music - no it won't be the same - but it wasn't the same in 2009 as it was 1979 either - so what.

So true Kathleen! I was actually expecting a solo tour but this is great. Will we see you in Europe next summer then??

Mongoose 11-22-2011 09:52 PM

Forgot to mention; they're closing the IOW Festival.

Thunderstrucker 11-22-2011 10:42 PM

The name E-Street Band doesnt fall with the people leaving the band that were once in it. Bruce doesnt need to play Born To Run or any other hits where Clarence had a big role in. He doesnt need them to make a concert good. He is also able to present them as new versions, acoustic versions for example.

I don't see why he shouldnt call it the E-Street Band anymore now Clarence died. Danny was a member too, you dont hear anybody complaining they still call it the ESB after he passed away. Yes. Clarence is a bigger part of the band but still. A lot of rockbands have had other members over the years as well and they still use the same name. Don't make things more dramatic as they are. Songs can still be played, maybe as different versions and that might work refreshing after having played it so many tours as the same version. Clarence death, as a pity as it is, opens the door to something new in my opinion so we will see what Bruce brings. And I would prefer a different version then a version in a setting that isnt 'correct'. Bring on the acoustic guitar and harmonica!

Back to topic. If he doesnt come to Holland I'll probably will try to get tickets for London. I am certain of one thing, I WILL see them!

Bring on more dates!

I salute you,
TS