Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Other Bands (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Bruuuuce (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=53654)

Mongoose 11-21-2011 10:14 AM

Bruuuuce

Well, things are starting to heat up down on E Street.

A lot of you have been hearing that Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band will be on tour in 2012. That is absolutely correct. The European dates run from the middle of May until end of July and are being announced this week. Info on the US dates and the World tour dates will coming up shortly.

In addition, we want you to know that the music is almost done (but still untitled), we have almost settled on the release date (but not quite yet), and that we are all incredibly excited about everything that we're planning for 2012. That's all the info we have for right now, but we'll get back to you--real soon.

Irishshin 11-21-2011 12:13 PM

Best news of the day :)

Jim Bon Jovi 11-21-2011 01:56 PM

Superb news.

BBC website says he's headlining Hard Rock Calling and the Isle of Wight festival so any other UK dates will be around late June / early July :thu:

tigrs99 11-21-2011 03:15 PM

Just saw this on CNN Entertainment European Dates to be announced by end of this week with US dates to be announced later and also a new untitled album is coming out
http://edition.cnn.com/2011/11/21/sh...tertainment%29

tigrs99 11-21-2011 03:20 PM

Bruce site has confd HRC and Isle of Wright Fest
21 June Sunderland, England Stadium of Light 3 Dec
22 June Manchester, England Etihad Stadium TBA
24 June Isle of Wight, England Isle of Wight Festival 25 Nov
14 July London, England Hard Rock Calling 3 Dec

Jim Bon Jovi 11-21-2011 03:40 PM

Terrible dates. He better add some more.

Thunderstrucker 11-21-2011 04:22 PM

The dates so far are good for me and I woke up today with this news which was brilliant! I cannot wait to see Bruce and his band again. Only have 1 experience and he was sick then and I was in the far back of the stadium so I'm ready for a proper experience!

I salute you,
TS

Sambo-Chris 11-21-2011 06:35 PM

London, I'm coming. Hoping for some decent other bands though.

Chica Guacamole 11-21-2011 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Bon Jovi (Post 1076874)
Terrible dates. He better add some more.

Same, the UK dates announced so far clash with my uni graduation. Apparantly the European tour will go on until mid-July, so hopefully I can make one of those...would be gutted to miss this!

Kathleen 11-21-2011 07:53 PM

Saw this at 9:00 pm last night just as I got home from having dinner out. I thought it was a hoax at first I was so blown away. Paul and I were dancing around the room like lunatics. :D

I was afraid that Bruce was going to hang it up after Clarence died. So this is great news. I think he has at least one more big (good quality) tour in him and I am happy to buy tickets to it.

ticos_stick 11-21-2011 08:18 PM

Um... not sure I like the fact they're still calling it The E Street Band.

Clarence was a huge part of the spirit of that band. To just trudge off on another tour with a replacement saxophonist is a bit disrespectful to the legacy.

I know most of you will disagree, but it just feels weird and a little contrived for my liking.

milomom 11-21-2011 09:12 PM

I'm not sure why I decided to go look at the Bruce boards today. :bang: Those people make us look no only sensible, but downright cheery.

In spite of all their predictions of gloom and doom, I'm thrilled and can't wait! :D

TwinFan 11-21-2011 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ticos_stick (Post 1076886)
Um... not sure I like the fact they're still calling it The E Street Band.

Clarence was a huge part of the spirit of that band. To just trudge off on another tour with a replacement saxophonist is a bit disrespectful to the legacy.

I know most of you will disagree, but it just feels weird and a little contrived for my liking.

I agree. I'm not to big a Bruce/E Street fan, but being a saxophonist, I do know that Clarence was probably the biggest part of that band.

What is Born to Run without that glorious, uplifting sax solo? Sure, they'll have a replacement sax, and I'm sure whoever it is will be great. But he or she won't be Clarence great, nor will he or she be able to replicate the Clarence style.

P.S: This is pretty cool news. I hope he comes around the USA, maybe I could catch a show.

Kathleen 11-22-2011 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milomom (Post 1076887)
I'm not sure why I decided to go look at the Bruce boards today. :bang: Those people make us look no only sensible, but downright cheery.

In spite of all their predictions of gloom and doom, I'm thrilled and can't wait! :D

I have said this here for years. Greasy Lake is actually pretty happy but BTX is a mess. And the BS.net boards don't even exist anymore but they were even worse.

hometownboy 11-22-2011 06:02 PM

Cant bloody wait!!

The guys mentioning the absence of Clarence are completely right, it wont be the same but that music needs to be played and the sax needs to be there to keep the legend of Clarence going!!

KeepTheFaith2211 11-22-2011 06:04 PM

Will probably go to the sunderland one.

Kathleen 11-22-2011 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometownboy (Post 1076907)

The guys mentioning the absence of Clarence are completely right, it wont be the same but that music needs to be played and the sax needs to be there to keep the legend of Clarence going!!

Exactly - as an example, Led Zeppelin quit playing and recording when their drummer died, and that magnificent music wasn't heard live again until the 2007 O2 concert. That was a real shame. Play the damn music - no it won't be the same - but it wasn't the same in 2009 as it was 1979 either - so what.

asok80 11-22-2011 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathleen (Post 1076910)
Exactly - as an example, Led Zeppelin quit playing and recording when their drummer died, and that magnificent music wasn't heard live again until the 2007 O2 concert. That was a real shame. Play the damn music - no it won't be the same - but it wasn't the same in 2009 as it was 1979 either - so what.

So true Kathleen! I was actually expecting a solo tour but this is great. Will we see you in Europe next summer then??

Mongoose 11-22-2011 09:52 PM

Forgot to mention; they're closing the IOW Festival.

Thunderstrucker 11-22-2011 10:42 PM

The name E-Street Band doesnt fall with the people leaving the band that were once in it. Bruce doesnt need to play Born To Run or any other hits where Clarence had a big role in. He doesnt need them to make a concert good. He is also able to present them as new versions, acoustic versions for example.

I don't see why he shouldnt call it the E-Street Band anymore now Clarence died. Danny was a member too, you dont hear anybody complaining they still call it the ESB after he passed away. Yes. Clarence is a bigger part of the band but still. A lot of rockbands have had other members over the years as well and they still use the same name. Don't make things more dramatic as they are. Songs can still be played, maybe as different versions and that might work refreshing after having played it so many tours as the same version. Clarence death, as a pity as it is, opens the door to something new in my opinion so we will see what Bruce brings. And I would prefer a different version then a version in a setting that isnt 'correct'. Bring on the acoustic guitar and harmonica!

Back to topic. If he doesnt come to Holland I'll probably will try to get tickets for London. I am certain of one thing, I WILL see them!

Bring on more dates!

I salute you,
TS

ticos_stick 11-22-2011 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderstrucker (Post 1076915)
The name E-Street Band doesnt fall with the people leaving the band that were once in it. Bruce doesnt need to play Born To Run or any other hits where Clarence had a big role in. He doesnt need them to make a concert good. He is also able to present them as new versions, acoustic versions for example.

I don't see why he shouldnt call it the E-Street Band anymore now Clarence died. Danny was a member too, you dont hear anybody complaining they still call it the ESB after he passed away. Yes. Clarence is a bigger part of the band but still. A lot of rockbands have had other members over the years as well and they still use the same name. Don't make things more dramatic as they are. Songs can still be played, maybe as different versions and that might work refreshing after having played it so many tours as the same version. Clarence death, as a pity as it is, opens the door to something new in my opinion so we will see what Bruce brings. And I would prefer a different version then a version in a setting that isnt 'correct'. Bring on the acoustic guitar and harmonica!

Back to topic. If he doesnt come to Holland I'll probably will try to get tickets for London. I am certain of one thing, I WILL see them!

Bring on more dates!

I salute you,
TS

That's a rather blinkered viewpoint you've taken.

Yeah, some bands carried on when members died but that doesn't mean it was the right thing to do. Led Zeppelin vowed never to make more music or tour after John Bonham died and today they are probably the most respected and revered band of all time whereas bands like The Who have become jokes and have lost a lot of respect for flogging a dead horse.

Bruce retired The E Street Band for long periods of time when Clarence and Danny were in their prime. Now they're dead do we really need some 2nd rate version, is anyone that hungry for it?

No, people have become greedy on both sides.

I'm all for a Springsteen tour, not a nostalgia fest.

Kathleen 11-23-2011 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ticos_stick (Post 1076916)

Yeah, some bands carried on when members died but that doesn't mean it was the right thing to do. Led Zeppelin vowed never to make more music or tour after John Bonham died and today they are probably the most respected and revered band of all time whereas bands like The Who have become jokes and have lost a lot of respect for flogging a dead horse.

I hate to quote myself but still.......

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathleen (Post 1076910)

There is a hell of a lot of music between "let's not play at all" and "let's play at all costs". Zeppelin went too far in one direction and The Who went too far in the other.

We will have to wait and see if it is a nostalgia fest

Thunderstrucker 11-23-2011 07:41 AM

So if I understand you correctly you say dont play any famous songs anymore when 1 member who had a great role in the song passed away or isnt in the band anymore for whatever reason?

It is your opinion and I respect it but that is why is also said, he could still present the songs in different versions. When he for example would play BTR acoustic with a harmonica you can see that as a respect to the big man who isnt there anymore and therefore not playing that version. The ESB is more then all the members in it.

If every band would quit playing hits or quit playing at all after a member died or left the band it would become awefully silent when it comes to the proper rock bands of old. Queen (whats left of it) did a fine job with Paul Rodgers, AC/DC still does a fine job with Brian Johnson. It's the music a band brings that makes them legendary, not 1 specific member of the band. Ofcourse I would like to see Clarence play the solo and parts in BTR and other songs but that is not going to happen. When it's played as the original version ofcorse it will feel that you miss something, someone, but its better to keep the music alive and not let it die with the persons who made the song. Keep the music alive is my opinion.

I salute you,
TS

asok80 11-24-2011 03:40 PM

Bruce is coming to Gothenburg again! YAY! 27 July

Jim Bon Jovi 11-24-2011 04:33 PM

How did you find that out? It's still only the 4 UK dates up on springsteen.net

Irishshin 11-24-2011 04:35 PM

July 17th in the RDS in Dublin :)

Can't wait!!! Hate its a Tuesday though!!!!!!!

Tickets on sale Dec 1st

asok80 11-24-2011 05:17 PM

There's dates all over the Internet there's more popping up all the time but the official website is always last for some strange reason

Irishshin 11-24-2011 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asok80 (Post 1077029)
There's dates all over the Internet there's more popping up all the time but the official website is always last for some strange reason

Sounds like just another band we know!!

The Irish date are on the promoters website
http://www.aikenpromotions.ie/

€96 & €86 for tickets.

Jovimimi 11-24-2011 06:09 PM

YESSSSSS!!!
3 dates in France including 2 in paris ... This is bliss !

C'monFeet 11-24-2011 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ticos_stick (Post 1076916)
I'm all for a Springsteen tour, not a nostalgia fest.

So, you would rather see Bruce play with an entirely new band than with the surviving members of the E-Street Band? You don't trust him, after 40 years as a world-class professional to put together a show that's worth your money?

Stay the **** home.

ticos_stick 11-24-2011 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C'monFeet (Post 1077037)
So, you would rather see Bruce play with an entirely new band than with the surviving members of the E-Street Band? You don't trust him, after 40 years as a world-class professional to put together a show that's worth your money?

Stay the **** home.

Oh piss off and flounce somewhere else you big girl.

ticos_stick 11-24-2011 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderstrucker (Post 1076920)
So if I understand you correctly you say dont play any famous songs anymore when 1 member who had a great role in the song passed away or isnt in the band anymore for whatever reason?

It is your opinion and I respect it but that is why is also said, he could still present the songs in different versions. When he for example would play BTR acoustic with a harmonica you can see that as a respect to the big man who isnt there anymore and therefore not playing that version. The ESB is more then all the members in it.

I salute you,
TS

I am fine with Bruce playing all the old songs but I just don't like the fact he's still calling it Bruce Springsteen And The E Street Band. I care deeply about the legacy and memory of the band. Danny was replaceable, it was very sad to see him go but he wasn't key to the look and sound of the band.

I dunno, maybe I'm being too precious about it all. I think the last tour was a perfect end, I was happy for that to be the final chapter.

Anyway, thanks for being civilised in disagreement ;)

Thierry 11-24-2011 07:28 PM

Are there any Dutch/German dates?

asok80 11-24-2011 09:56 PM

Venue City On Sale
Fri.,
May 25 Commerzbank-Arena Frankfurt, GERMANY 11/28
9 a.m.
Sun.,
May 27 Rhein-Energie Stadium Cologne, GERMANY 11/28
9 a.m.
Wed.,
May 30 Olympic Stadium Berlin, GERMANY 11/28
9 a.m.

asok80 11-24-2011 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jovimimi (Post 1077033)
YESSSSSS!!!
3 dates in France including 2 in paris ... This is bliss !

We will try to get tix for Paris

Kathleen 11-26-2011 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ticos_stick (Post 1077039)
I dunno, maybe I'm being too precious about it all. I think the last tour was a perfect end, I was happy for that to be the final chapter.

To us long time fans - even the last tour was missing Danny and wasn't a complete E Street Band Tour.

asok80 11-26-2011 01:49 PM

So true Kathleen 2008 tour was the last original E Street Band tour

ticos_stick 11-26-2011 04:47 PM

Well Nils wasn't in the original line up, so you'll have to go back a bit further to have seen the true 100% original line up.

C'monFeet 11-26-2011 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ticos_stick (Post 1077109)
Well Nils wasn't in the original line up, so you'll have to go back a bit further to have seen the true 100% original line up.

Or Max. Why should this be thought of as anything other than an evolution? Life is change etc... WTF does a name matter (except to signify that these are the people responsible for looking after this music)?

Members
Bruce Springsteen
Garry Tallent
Roy Bittan
Max Weinberg
Steven Van Zandt
Nils Lofgren
Patti Scialfa

Past members
Clarence Clemons
Danny Federici
Vini Lopez
David Sancious
Ernest Carter
Suki Lahav

ticos_stick 11-26-2011 05:03 PM

You're missing the point. Clarence wasn't just a member, he was The E Street Band and in my view irreplaceable.