Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   When did you first notice Jon's voice had started to decline? (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70235)

BJFan99 03-07-2018 12:36 AM

When did you first notice Jon's voice had started to decline?

When was the first time during your fan period thus far that you noticed Jon's vocal decline from previous occasions while listening to something sung by him, either live or on record (where it obviously has pretty much always been easy to hide).

The first time I noticed something about his voice wasn't there anymore was back in September 2007, when the Nokia Theatre '05 gig was aired on Finnish TV. I, as an eight-year-old, remember having cringed during the key change part of Prayer. Jon was just sounding "weird", not particularly bad, but very forced and unnatural.

Then in 2010 I bought the MSG DVD and was shocked to notice how much Jon was struggling on songs like Keep The Faith, Living In Sin and especially Dry County. And even though he sounded pretty damn good on Always and Bed Of Roses back on the LH tour, while watching the DVD for the first time I immediately noticed how much of his past vocal power and natural strength he had lost already in 2008.

The first time I noticed Jon's entire high register was gone was back in September 2015, when I decided to watch some clips from the Jakarta concert... and more recently, there was the horrendous Nashville '17 show, which was the first time I noticed Jon basically couldn't sing at all anymore.

rocknation 03-07-2018 02:29 AM

The Asian mini-tour, I guess -- one show in particular, he was clearly pacing himself. And Richie's voice not being there to compliment it certainly didn't help.

Captain_jovi 03-07-2018 02:51 AM

Bounce tour, the Amphitheater run.

Tom_K 03-07-2018 07:14 AM

2000 (live DVD)

Bleeding Purist 03-07-2018 10:41 AM

The Crush tour, as well. The album already offered up a vocally conservative Jon that at the time left me wanting for more. Hearing it today leaves me wanting that voice today.

Since then, I did enjoy the Lost Highway/The Circle years. He had a way of handling the vocals that, although his voice had changed, actually made him more consistent with the delivery. The performances of Blood On Blood on both tours were some of my favorite versions of the song, period.

WILDJOVIMAN 03-07-2018 10:47 AM

Europe 2000 Crush Tour...

Fredrik 03-07-2018 11:22 AM

Europe Crush tour. It was such a massive difference compared to 95/96 and even compared to his solo run in 97/98. But I still enjoyed his vocals up until 2011 which was the last time I saw them live. From 2012 and onwards it just got even worse.

Jeeper 03-07-2018 12:10 PM

When did you first notice Jon's voice had started to decline?

The second leg of the TD tour. Nothing major, but his voice was thinning out and the effortless power (especially from the KTF tour) wasn’t quite as strong. That’s not to say he was bad, far far from it. But there was a noticeable dip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

manarosi 03-07-2018 12:31 PM

still got it if he wanted to back in 99/2000

symbeline 03-07-2018 01:58 PM

The Crush tour DVD was a huge shock to me. Who would have thought I'd go back and say the dreaded words 'it wasn't that bad" after every subsequent tour. Well, I knew it would get worse (always the optimistic!) but I didn't want to believe it. I still can't believe it almost 20 years later!! Only three years prior Jon was still freaking amazing live.