Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Other Bands (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Christmas songs (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=33252)

Dave 1986 12-05-2005 04:43 PM

Christmas songs

Come on then, what are your favourite Christmas songs or Xmas #1's?

They don't have to be songs about Xmas, they can just be hit songs that were around at Christmas time.

UKjovi 12-05-2005 05:15 PM

Not sure how you spell his name but ona Louie, Cant stop the calvery

Becky 12-05-2005 05:17 PM

My favorite Christmas song is O Holy Night.

My least favorite is that arrogant, self-righteous, manipulative "Christmas Shoes."

UKjovi 12-05-2005 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky
My favorite Christmas song is O Holy Night.

My least favorite is that arrogant, self-righteous, manipulative "Christmas Shoes."

never heard that one becky, whos it by?

Becky 12-05-2005 05:35 PM

I think it's by a group called New Song. The voice of the song is singing about last minute shopping and this kid coming into a shoe store to buy shoes for his dying mommy so she can be "beautiful" when she meets Jesus. And he doesn't have enough money, so the guy comes to the rescue and buys the shoes. It's like saying, "Am I great or what? I bought the kid the shoes! Yea me!"

Okay, this is supposed to be a Christian band--so why are they not telling the kid that Jesus is supposed to love everyone no matter what they look like; that theologically speaking, your clothes don't make it to heaven? Jesus isn't as shallow as the person who wrote that song.

UKjovi 12-05-2005 05:43 PM

i dont think i would like it then

spunkywho 12-05-2005 05:52 PM

I just got a cd called 'redneck christmas' or something to that effect and love the song '12 days to christmas' -- it's hilarious.

As real xmas songs, I can never get enough of Kenny G and Peanuts Christmas :)

Javier 12-05-2005 06:35 PM

I like the song U2 did.
I think Jon also covered it for one of the A very Special christmas concerts, but I don't remember the name of the song.

Neurotica80 12-05-2005 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javier
I like the song U2 did.
I think Jon also covered it for one of the A very Special christmas concerts, but I don't remember the name of the song.

Christmas Baby (please come home) Not to be confused with Please come home for Christmas. Its a great tune I think the only version I have of it is a live performace by Jon a few years ago.

Fairytale of Newyork is my fave except it gets overplayed every year!!!

Tashjbj 12-05-2005 11:03 PM

Thank God it's Christmas by Queen and Winter Wonderland, I also like that one by The Carpenters.. can't remember the name now.

My least favourite is that one by Paul McCartney.. that just gets on my nerves!

ktlee 12-05-2005 11:25 PM

Best...mmm hard Drivin home for christmas

Worst its got to be anything by Cliff Richard...he just brings out the same sappy sh*t* every bluming christmas!
In my opinion someone shoukld shove mistletoe and wine right where the sun dont shine!...or shoud that be holly for greater effect?! ;)

Miracle 12-05-2005 11:49 PM

The Chipmunks Christmas song...best ever!

Other than the Chipmunks, O Holy Night is my favourite Christmas song. Martina McBride's version is very nice.

Steph

yomamasofat 12-06-2005 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky
I think it's by a group called New Song. The voice of the song is singing about last minute shopping and this kid coming into a shoe store to buy shoes for his dying mommy so she can be "beautiful" when she meets Jesus. And he doesn't have enough money, so the guy comes to the rescue and buys the shoes. It's like saying, "Am I great or what? I bought the kid the shoes! Yea me!"

Okay, this is supposed to be a Christian band--so why are they not telling the kid that Jesus is supposed to love everyone no matter what they look like; that theologically speaking, your clothes don't make it to heaven? Jesus isn't as shallow as the person who wrote that song.

I don't think that's the point of the song... Jesus loves everyone no matter how you look like, but it is very thoughtful for the child to buy something nice for her mommy. A child, is supposedly innocent and not so well-informed about how Jesus loves everyone. The child is just being sweet to her mommy. And I think the guy who bought her shoes, the song is trying to say that there's no point being pissed off at Christmas shopping, it is not the point of Christmas. Giving happiness to others is more important. The song doesn't paint the guy as a hero whatsoever. At least not the way I see it.

To me the song is not arrogant or self-righteous, it is more like, disturbing/depressing. This would be one of the last songs I'd like to hear during Christmas because it makes me want to slit my wrists.

Yvonne 12-06-2005 12:31 PM

I dont have any particular fave and at the mo i've heard every xmas song too much already

Rob 12-06-2005 04:50 PM

In a word: They suck!

I'm not a big fan of Christmas songs at all. They do my nut in. I can't Paul McCartney going "Simply havin' a wonderful Christmas time" over and over again. Also I hate that song that just goes "Ding a ling a ling la ling" over and over again!! :mad:

Having said that there is perhaps one that I actually like which is Run Run Rudolph by Chuck Berry I think.

jenn1189 12-06-2005 08:35 PM

My favorite traditional Christmas song is Carol of the Bells. I also love the Manheim Steamroller version of Silent Night.

I love Last Christmas, Christmas Baby (Please Come Home), All I Want For Christmas is You, Rockin Around the Christmas Tree....

It's just really hard to get into the Christmas cheer right now since I still need to keep the air conditioner on because it's so freakin' hot out!

Alex 12-07-2005 10:48 AM

It's not Christmas until I've heard Wham!'s 'Last Christmas' for a bicillion times. Tacky and cheesy, but I sooooo like it. :)

allmike 12-07-2005 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex
It's not Christmas until I've heard Wham!'s 'Last Christmas' for a bicillion times. Tacky and cheesy, but I sooooo like it. :)

Haha i got agree with u totally.... And i already heard once or twice this year :)

Other then that i love to play most of Abba songs during christmas... even they are not christmas songs... but i love it.....

ACtually i love most of chrsitmas songs... and even Maria Carry christmas songs :embrassed:

Dave 1986 12-07-2005 05:58 PM

I like The Darkness - Christmas Time (Don't Let The Bells End), and the Bon Jovi ones are nice aswell.

Mr Bluesman 12-07-2005 06:48 PM

I easily get sick of the Slade, Wham, Wizzard type songs. I can get on with The Pogues' Fairy Tale in New York and Greg Lake's I Believe in Father Christmas. I tried to convince my girlfriend that Pearl Jam's Let Me Sleep (It's Christmas Time) was how all chirstmas songs should be... but she was having none of that.

Miracle 12-07-2005 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenn1189
It's just really hard to get into the Christmas cheer right now since I still need to keep the air conditioner on because it's so freakin' hot out!

I know what you mean, Jen. For me, it just isn't Christmas unless it is -15 and snowing LOL

Steph

allmike 12-07-2005 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miracle
I know what you mean, Jen. For me, it just isn't Christmas unless it is -15 and snowing LOL

Steph

Oh i love white christmas.... well at least it sooo sooo cool... i never even seen a snow in my whole life though :(

eriK 12-07-2005 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allmike
Oh i love white christmas.... well at least it sooo sooo cool... i never even seen a snow in my whole life though :(

You haven't? Well, it ain’t that much fun, it is cold and most of the time it melts before you even got used to it.
Sometimes the landscape can be rather beautiful due to the snow, but that's just 7 days per year or so.

clarity 12-07-2005 10:29 PM

I'm quite a sucker for christmas songs actually.

It's no christmas without Chris Rea ofcourse - I kinda like 'Christmas was a friend of
mine' by Fay Lovski. Most recent fav: 'Lonely without you (this christmas)' by Mick
Jagger and Joss Stone. Short song, but nice.

ktlee 12-07-2005 11:17 PM

'ITS CHRISSSSTMAAAS'! well i never i thought it was easter! Where would we be without old chestnuts like that one! ;)

I actually like the Wham one for some strange reason...maybe it makes a nice change to all the happy clappy songs!

Anyone seen that absolutely dire Santa Sings Christmas album! Just when you thought it couldnt get worse the most tone deaf sounding santa you ever heard practically hohohos his way through all your old favs and Im sure I heard Amarillo in the line up! What the hell has that to do with christmas!

I hate all old crooners making a few bucks outta rehashing cheesy christmas songs too! I.E Tony Christie. Come up with some f**king new ones and save our sanity!

Miracle 12-07-2005 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allmike

I'll try to take some pictures of the snow for you Allwyn. Right now, there is only a slight dusting of snow. It is getting colder though. I'm actually hoping for a mild winter. Huge snowstorms are only fun when you're a kid and you get a snow day :)

Steph

jenn1189 12-08-2005 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miracle

Steph

Well, in that case, it'll never be Christmas for me! LOL! I would just be happy if I had to wear a jacket when I went outside.

Miracle 12-08-2005 12:58 AM

I'd be happy if I could wear a jacket outside too...instead of a jacket, boots, hat, gloves, and a scarf. Just a few inches of snow and the mercury slightly below zero, I would be happy. But this is what I get for living in Canada.

Steph

McNabb_5 12-13-2005 06:20 AM

Dominick the Donkey.

Keeper 12-13-2005 11:00 AM

Yesterday I started my Christmas music time :D

My favourites are God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen by Sarah McLachlan & The Barenaked Ladies, O Holy Night by Tracy Chapman, Three Ships by Sting. Joy to the World sung by almost anyone. So This Is Christmas by John Lennon. Jingle Bells Rock too.

I guess there are more, but can't think of them right now.

Christo 12-13-2005 01:12 PM

My favourite Christmas Carol is O Holy Night.

And I will admit it, my favourite Christmas album is Merry Christmas by Mariah Carey! If there is a time when it's not just about rock 'n' roll and cheesy songs are much more accepted, then Christmas is it. ;)