Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Other Bands (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The Rolling Stones (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=44674)

hometownboy 04-03-2008 01:55 AM

The Rolling Stones

Ok , so i just got back from the Shine A Light premiere and it's brilliant , you should definately go and check it out! so right now i'm in a stones mood (im currently listening to exile on main street :D)

so i was wondering what'd your favourite stone's album and song ? have you ever seen them live ? (i'd love to see them live !! i just hope they tour the UK again :))

I basically started the thread , so we can discuss the rolling stones! :D

Ohh my answers , my favourite album is either exile on main street or goats head soup and my favourite song is easily start me up

mo_rizwan 04-03-2008 02:41 AM

I'm currently trying to get into The Stones. Saw them Live at The O2 Arena last year and I loved it

Current favourite songs are Brown Sugar, Jumpin' Jack Flash and (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction :)

Goldsausage 04-03-2008 12:01 PM

I wanna like them but I just can't.

Though I LOVE Gimme Shelter.

Irakli 04-03-2008 12:12 PM

Monkey Man is awesome!

Alphavictim 04-03-2008 02:08 PM

No idea about the album. Sticky Fingers or Exile maybe?

Songs: Jumping Jack Flash & Gimme Shelter.

Sleep-When-Im-Dead 04-03-2008 02:38 PM

i love Sympathy for the devil, jumping Jack, Brown Sugar, Satisfaction, Only Rock n roll. Would Love to see them live

Jim Bon Jovi 04-03-2008 02:46 PM

favourtie stones tune = don't stop.

i#m definetely going to catch shine a light when it goes on general release.

asok80 04-03-2008 03:45 PM

They are really good live but I've no desire to see them live anymore.Love their 60-ies stuff the best. Seen them 3 times (73, 90 and 98).

Living_on_my_Hair 04-03-2008 05:58 PM

The fact nobody has mentioned Paint It Black distresses me...

:(

andi

Jim Bon Jovi 04-03-2008 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Living_on_my_Hair (Post 816838)
The fact nobody has mentioned Paint It Black distresses me...

:(

andi

don't stop > paint it black :o

but yeah paint it black kicks all sorts of arse.

i must admit if it wasn't for waterloo sunset and victoria the stones may JUST pip the kinks for my favourite band of the 60s.

Sleep-When-Im-Dead 04-03-2008 06:24 PM

woops i knew id forgotten one, paint it black is another great song.

zero_zero_UFO 04-03-2008 08:18 PM

favourite stones song? argh! too hard..........Wild Horses or Gimme Shelter

album- Sticky Fingers.....for now.

Dave 1986 04-03-2008 09:03 PM

I got into the Stones about 6/7 years ago through my father, whos been a fan since the beginning. I borrowed the Jump Back 1971 - 1993 greatest hits album off him, as the was the only Stones he had on CD. Then he bought the 40 Licks album in 2002 and the gradually me and him have bought the majority of their studio albums.

It took me a while but I grew to love them. Their 60's stuff is quality, goes without saying, so I won't even bother mentioning any particular tracks. Peronally I like there more recent material such as Voodoo Lounge (probably my fave Stones album) and Bridges To Babylon. My personal favourite tracks are Out Of Tears, Thru And Thru, Beast Of Burden , Wild Horses and Angie. The live version of Angie from the Stripped album you should check out.

I don't listen to them regularly, but like certain artists I listen to them relentlessly for about a month, then won't listen to them for months.

I've not seen them live as I can never get tickets. Tried in 2002 and 2006, but just could never get through. They sell out within and hour or two. But I have the Voodoo Lounge live VHS and Bridges To Babylon DVD which are both awesome.

I think they certainly live up to being called "the worlds greatest rock'n'roll band". Great music, great live act, and just so inspirational to the genre. I always preferred them to the Beatles. (who I also like btw), and lest face it, if it weren't for them, we wouldn't have half the bands since.

(Sorry if I got a bit corny toward the end :D)

Jim Bon Jovi 04-03-2008 09:26 PM

i just remembered a cool story.

when i went to college doing music biz promo one of my teacher drummed in a semi famous band from the 60s and 70s.

he told us about this gig they did in london when they were starting out. they were backstage and this prat from the other band was posing in front of a mirror and pulling moves, telling himself "you're the man, you can do this" etc...

being a bunch of weegie scumbags they just laughed at the guy.

they went out front to check the band out and the guy was amazing. all the moves he'd been practicing looked so cool and natural. after a few songs he stepped up to the mic and said: good evening i'm mick jaggah and this my band

:-)

(Don't)Lie_to_me 04-03-2008 09:47 PM

Not mad about the Stones really. Don't own a single album, 'cept 40 Licks.

Sorry.

Yvonne 04-04-2008 12:35 AM

Paint it Black, class song! One day i'll get to see them!

hometownboy 07-14-2008 10:19 PM

I thought it was time to revive this thread :p im in another stones mood !

Sympathy for the devil is playing at the moment , i love this song :) i'm sure most of you have heard about Ronnie Woods trouble's lately ! (back on the booze and running off with some 18 year old russian girl!) hopefully he'll sort it out so the band can tour again (or he can get the faces back together ...)

jade4jovi 07-14-2008 10:23 PM

You know my opinion. ;) Love the band. I never used to like them, though. Just couldn't get into them. But the last about..year, I love 'em.

Listening to them rihght now. It's currently I Got The Blues. Beautiful song. :)

Just on a side note - are they Jon's faveourite band? Think he said they were?

hometownboy 07-14-2008 10:26 PM

yeah they are jon's favourite band and start me up is his favourite song ! i remember seeing an interview with him (the interviewer gave him these quick fire questions , if you know what i mean :p)

isn't Wild horses amazing! (well i think so anyway lol)

jade4jovi 07-14-2008 10:30 PM

Ha, really? I figured they were his fave band - kinda obvious really! But didn't know SMU was his fave song(is it his fave song EVER?!). Definitley one of my fave' Stones songs...I love it! My "older" friend in the pub (he's like 50 I think, lol) is mad over them. He saw them live last time they toured (don't think it was long ago, was it?) When he talks about the shows, makes me really wanna see them! They sound amazing live!

Eastwick 07-14-2008 10:32 PM

LOVE THE STONES!!! :D Brillant band. The play all music genres, think only Elvis can compete with genres and doin' them well!

For beginers: You don't need any Best Of or Greates Hits. Buy Sticky Fingers. If you don't like that, you'll never like Rolling Stones! Sticky Fingere got it all :D

hometownboy 07-14-2008 10:33 PM

yeah it jon's favourite song :p i'll have alook for the interview! Last time they toured was 2006! i wish i'd been a fan then , im just waiting for them to get their arses back on tour!! :p they do sound amazing live , the massive stages , amazing lights shows and then the setlists! it'd just be great to see them

jade4jovi 07-14-2008 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastwick (Post 864645)
LOVE THE STONES!!! :D Brillant band. The play all music genres, think only Elvis can compete with genres and doin' them well!

For beginers: You don't need any Best Of or Greates Hits. Buy Sticky Fingers. If you don't like that, you'll never like Rolling Stones! Sticky Fingere got it all :D

I'm lucky. My mum put loads on the iPod (and we share iTunes) I wasn't into them at all before then. I just couldn't get into them. But then I decided one night, to give it a try. I listened to both the Greatest Hits, and Sticky Fingers! Love them! :)

Hometown - I wanna see them live, toooo. Hopefully they'll be back. Damn they're old though. :P I worry about Jovi stopping touring because of their age. The Stones are even more of a worry! Well, not really, because I love Jovi the best out of the best of the best. But you know. ;)

hometownboy 07-14-2008 10:45 PM

haha yeah i know what you mean :) i'd take jovi over them aswell ! but i still wanna see them :p i found that interview by the way but i was wrong ! he said his favourite song was The Sounds Of Silence (simon & Garfunkel) sorry about that :p i'll post the interview anyway though ...
Eastwick , i agree with you there, Sticky Fingers is amazing but i've always prefered Exile on Main Street (there both great albums!) recently i've been listening to Let It Bleed a lot which im starting to really like

BeExcellent 07-14-2008 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometownboy (Post 864647)
Last time they toured was 2006! i wish i'd been a fan then

Because every 14 year old has money lying about for a 150 quid concert ticket!

Not having a go. This is the big, big problem with bands charging rip-off money. BJ are going the same way. There's so many people just not getting the chance for the experience....

Eastwick 07-14-2008 10:53 PM

I think I prefer Let Bleed over Exile. I mean Exile is great,it has a certain magic the other albums doesn't have, mainly because of the way they recorded it.
However I'm one of those who feel it could been made diffrently. Not saying the songs are bad, but there's "something" wrong, but I can't dislike an album which starts so good as with Rocks Off.

jade4jovi 07-14-2008 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastwick (Post 864673)
but I can't dislike an album which starts so good as with Rocks Off.

Agreed!!!

Thanks, Homeboy(lol) I'll watch it later, when I'm not listening to the iPod. ;)

hometownboy 07-14-2008 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeExcellent (Post 864662)
Because every 14 year old has money lying about for a 150 quid concert ticket!

Not having a go. This is the big, big problem with bands charging rip-off money. BJ are going the same way. There's so many people just not getting the chance for the experience....

I see what you mean , the tickets are ridiculously overpriced and im not trying to justify it at all but how many chances does "every 14 year old" have to see the rolling stones live? Not many! So as overpriced as the tickets are , if you want to go you've got to pay it and i think in the stones case i would (if i had the money that is :p)

Eastwick , Rocks Off is a great opener but i do think opening songs are one of the stones strong points (Beggars Banquet - Sympathy For The Devil , Let It Bleed - Gimme Shelter , Sticky Fingers - Brown Sugat and even A Bigger Bang - Rough justice etc) i think exile's so great because of tumbling dice , loving cup , happy , all down the line , shine a light etc alsmot every song on there jumps out at me lol (as corny as it sounds) but then i do like let it bleed especially for You Can't Always Get What You Want and then Monkey Man ( i really like the intro to that ) there both great albums but for me Exile . just has that edge

Eastwick 07-14-2008 11:04 PM

I've seen them 3 times (98, 06, 07) totaly worth the money!

hometownboy 07-14-2008 11:06 PM

Eastwick which time was the best?

How great would it of been to of been at one of the concerts in 1995 (i think) when bon jovi supported the stones in france , 1 hour of Bon Jovi then 2 hours of the stones!!

jade4jovi 07-14-2008 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometownboy (Post 864700)

How great would it of been to of been at one of the concerts in 1996 (i think) when bon jovi supported the stones in paris , 1 hour of Bon Jovi then 2 hours of the stones!!

I'd rather it the other way around, but yeah.....that would have been great!

Eastwick 07-14-2008 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometownboy (Post 864700)

First time back in 98 was my first, so it was kinda special, ofcause. They had the best opening a consert could ever have. Forget every opening you've ever seen or will see. This was the best, no kiddin'!!!
They were brillant, as usual, Stones never let you down.
When they walked back from the small stage in the middle of the audice King Keef grabed my hand :D

'06 was also special. First round of the Bigger Bang tour. They played in Bergen in a old "castle". Smallest venue at the tour. 18000 people.
It rained a lot during the whole gig, second half was extremely rainy. The rain set fire on the band (ironic :rolleyes:) Including a kick ass performance of Paint It Black.

'07 We got some rare songs, included King Keef singing You Got The Silver. I think I would be like Richie sang... not sure, a song he's only sung once or something ;)
Again, phenomonal :D

Can't say which as best :)

hometownboy 07-14-2008 11:44 PM

they all sound amazing ! i'm incredibly jealous ,i'd love to hear You Got The Silver live , mind you i'd love to hear the stones sing any song live :p

Eastwick 07-14-2008 11:53 PM

About the opening. My internetconnection is EXTREMELY slow right now, so YouTube videos load to slow for me. However, I THINK I've found the right videos. They're from the Bridges To Babylon DVD from the tour. It opened like the one I saw.
Watch this and learn how to open. Just for the record, the rockets flew and smashed right above my head. In a about 5 seconds a little too much happend. Almost heartattack.
I hope I've found the right videos. Enjoy!

Opening:

First song:

Yvonne 07-15-2008 12:03 AM

Next tour I'll be there... Couldn't afford in 2006 but for me they are a "must see" band!

Eastwick 07-15-2008 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yvonne (Post 864752)
Next tour I'll be there... Couldn't afford in 2006 but for me they are a "must see" band!

One of the nice thing about them, you can't predict the setlist. You "always" get a rare song, or maybe more. I'm not gonna go into a "good/bad" BJsetlist discusion, but Jovi has a thing a two to learn from The Stones here ;)

Btw Yvonne, you're new avatar was really cool, or atleast funny :p

jade4jovi 07-15-2008 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastwick (Post 864753)

That was all thanks to MEE! :D

Yvonne, might see you there then! (and remember, you owe me a tenner. ;))

Yvonne 07-15-2008 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jade4jovi (Post 864756)
That was all thanks to MEE! :D

Yvonne, might see you there then! (and remember, you owe me a tenner. ;))

haha! I haven't forgot!

Yvonne 07-15-2008 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastwick (Post 864753)
One of the nice thing about them, you can't predict the setlist. You "always" get a rare song, or maybe more. I'm not gonna go into a "good/bad" BJsetlist discusion, but Jovi has a thing a two to learn from The Stones here ;)

my mum was a fan way back when, still likes them now and it seems to have rubbed off on me!

They do have some classic songs and some good shows over the years, maybe BJ will get there one day!

Eastwick 07-15-2008 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastwick (Post 864745)
I hope I've found the right videos. Enjoy!

Opening:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh9GL...eature=related

First song: Satisfaction
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxA1l...eature=related

It's the start of Satisfaction that blew me away :D