Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Rate: American Reckoning (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70722)

Rdkopper 07-21-2020 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1265722)
Yeah this. His vocals are almost always recorded at home, it's the after processing that might be a little different. It literally does not matter where he records his vocals.

You keep saying that but that's not true. He recorded in NYC and Memphis. When he would record at Sanctuary 2, he had a full studio, he was working with a producer, and he had a better voice so it didn't really matter anyway...

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

JerseyGiant 07-21-2020 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faith1985 (Post 1265685)
I think that if you think it is boring you do not understand the song

Oh I get it. Boring and flat as in the vocal deliverance. I'm glad you enjoy it. Does nothing for me.

Captain_jovi 07-21-2020 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1265723)
You keep saying that but that's not true. He recorded in NYC and Memphis. When he would record at Sanctuary 2, he had a full studio, he was working with a producer, and he had a better voice so it didn't really matter anyway...

My point was more being equipment doesn't = better vocal takes. I'm sure he downgraded his home studio setup but the work on his vocals would be done AFTER the fact and once Shanks gets the raw files then the work would begin. It's not like the vocals are sounding worse because of a janky setup, I wonder if the turnaround was a little quicker due to the subject matter and Shanks didn't have a chance to do his patented wall-of-sound producing. *Shrugs* just my opinion.

Rdkopper 07-21-2020 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1265735)
My point was more being equipment doesn't = better vocal takes. I'm sure he downgraded his home studio setup but the work on his vocals would be done AFTER the fact and once Shanks gets the raw files then the work would begin. It's not like the vocals are sounding worse because of a janky setup, I wonder if the turnaround was a little quicker due to the subject matter and Shanks didn't have a chance to do his patented wall-of-sound producing. *Shrugs* just my opinion.

It said that Jon produced it.

James_86 09-25-2020 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savvi (Post 1265427)
After two listens, I don't like it. There is nothing that makes me want to listen to it again.

Similar to Unbroken, the lyrics are so literal. There are some lines which are well written, but majority of it is either a cliche or a specific sentence like a headline you'd read in a newspaper. I want the romance in the lyrics back. More abstract and poetic lines.

I do like Jon's low voice in the verses, and the music is calming and gentle. But I'm picking at straws trying to find a positive.

3/10

This is exactly how I feel. I've been trying to find a way to write it down but you've done it for me.

The literal lyrics remind me of Randy Newman in Family Guy. Just sing about what you see.

How does everybody interpret the line "I'll never know what it's like, to walk a mile in his shoes?" Is this directly about George Floyd or a more general comment about the problems facing black people in America? If its the former I'd be quite disappointed in Jon given Floyd's criminal past.

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

Rdkopper 09-25-2020 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James_86 (Post 1267415)
How does everybody interpret the line "I'll never know what it's like, to walk a mile in his shoes?" Is this directly about George Floyd or a more general comment about the problems facing black people in America? If its the former I'd be quite disappointed in Jon given Floyd's criminal past.

I totally agree with this!!!

Sent from my SM-A015V using Tapatalk

Captain_jovi 09-25-2020 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James_86 (Post 1267415)
This is exactly how I feel. I've been trying to find a way to write it down but you've done it for me.

The literal lyrics remind me of Randy Newman in Family Guy. Just sing about what you see.

Took it to mean general comment african americans face everyday.

Criminal past or not it doesn't justify the actions by the police, that's more the angle Jon is taking in the song.

James_86 09-25-2020 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1267417)
I totally agree with this!!!

Sent from my SM-A015V using Tapatalk

It just doesn't sit easy with me. Is Jon really saying how can I judge this man, a career criminal, because I've never walked a mile in his shoes? I think that's potentially quite dangerous.

liljovi93 09-25-2020 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1267421)
Took it to mean general comment african americans face everyday.

Criminal past or not it doesn't justify the actions by the police, that's more the angle Jon is taking in the song.

This is how I took it too.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Captain_jovi 09-25-2020 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James_86 (Post 1267422)
It just doesn't sit easy with me. Is Jon really saying how can I judge this man, a career criminal, because I've never walked a mile in his shoes? I think that's potentially quite dangerous.

I just don't think most people are seeing it like that though. I hear what you're saying but that isn't what's causing the outrage.