Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Rate: American Reckoning (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70722)

TheOriginalJez 07-10-2020 12:30 PM

We're now witnessing the final stages of Jon's carefully staged transformation into a lesser Springsteen... I mean a harmonica solo? Ok Bruce...

As a track it's fine, it's ok. It's better than that crappy one he did about soldiers last year. But Bruce Springsteen already exists, and he's better at being Bruce Springsteen than Jon is so... meh.

eddie73 07-10-2020 01:22 PM

Remember when bonus tracks were better than songs that made the cut ?

We have come to this, not sure why people think the harmonica solo is so great, its really not ! lyrics are pretty good but are nothing without a decent melody which is lacking....its a track that will get skipped by me when the album is released and if it gets played live I'm off to the bar.

Boring song , just not what I want to hear from a so called rock n roll band

its a 3 for me and that's being kind

NicoRourke 07-10-2020 03:05 PM

I couldn't listen till the end.

His voice is just unbearable live, and unbearably boring in the studio. Plus once again those god damn lyrics in the chorus. There were a few good and moving lines in the verses though, and the harmonica is a nice change.

The absence of Richie at this point is just too big the void is immense.

bjcrazycpa 07-10-2020 03:26 PM

Because I read comments here before listening, my expectation was to hate it lol! But, after one listen, I actually like it. The repetitive guitar melody I dig, it's soothing. And the harmonica makes the song for me. Downsides, are as Seb mentioned, his pronunciation is a bit weird at times and has that sound of too much spit building up. 7/10 for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matrix15 07-10-2020 05:09 PM

I find it hard to judge because it's so contemporary, and it would be so easy to cock up a song about such a sensitive subject matter. That said, I think Jon sounds genuine and I believe what he sings.

The other route would have been the 'undivided' style pissed-off with the state of the world rocker. I think that worked for 9/11 subject matter because it started with such as massive event, thousands lost their lives and it called for a loud anthem. However, I think in this case Jon called it right to have it much slower and stripped down. The lyrics are the focus of the song and he can tell the story of George Floyd in a solemn and respectful way.

It's not going to be one I have on endless repeat, but I think it does what Jon intended it to do. It's also nice to see him pull out the harmonica again.

Butters 07-10-2020 06:05 PM

I gave it an 8/10. The lyrics are surprisingly good. It would have been so easy to get this wrong and fall into bland cliches but I think Jon did a really nice job.

The melody is not spectacular but I like it, and I have no issue with the quieter approach. The harmonica was a lovely surprise.

The song is let down massively by Jon's vocals. I know there is nothing to be done and his voice is what it is but it is so frustrating to know what this could have sounded like if he could sing like himself from 10 years ago.

Good song. Nothing spectacular, and unfortunately I think we'll never get a classic again given the state of his voice.

Alphavictim 07-10-2020 06:43 PM

Gave it a 6/10. The highlights are the verses, the lyrics and the harmonica part. I think it does exactly what it should do, in terms of atmosphere. Chorus falls flat in terms of lyrics and vocals. Lyrically, the song as a whole is certainly a hell of a lot better than Jon's overtly "political songs" of the past, so that was a pleasant surprise.

Of course, knowing the history of the band, it still sounds like something that he should present to the band, then have a certain co-writing partner fix the chorus, work out a more dynamic arrangement with them all, and then record a stunning performance. But it is what it is and it is what we're gonna get. The reason the verses work so well is because they are in a range JBJ is still convincing in.

phoenixy 07-10-2020 06:48 PM

Anyone could help me out, what's the meaning of this?
I just don't get it.:(
"And I'll never have to have the talk
So it don't happen to you"

faith1985 07-10-2020 07:09 PM

9/10

I am not too keen on the military metaphors but I am not American. There is something that haunts me about the building right before the harmonica solo. It breaths more than most Jovi songs and for the harmonica itself I would give it a 8, some of the lyrics made me very emotional.

The only thing I don't like is the repetition in the chorus, the rest is totaly my thing.

I believe every word comes from deep down.

Oh, and look how greedy Jon is: he donates it all ;-).

faith1985 07-10-2020 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenixy (Post 1265368)
Anyone could help me out, what's the meaning of this?
I just don't get it.:(
"And I'll never have to have the talk
So it don't happen to you"

It means Jon says he is not black so he does not have the talk from his dad saying how to behave to - for example - not getting pulled over by the police.