Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The THINFS tour KICKS ASS! (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70093)

Rdkopper 09-21-2017 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by symbeline (Post 1228115)
How about no. While Phil will never be treated like Richie because he is not Richie, Dave is still Dave, Tico is still Tico and even poor Hughie is still poor Hughie, the forgotten middle child. Jon has interacted with them plenty of times before.

Please!!! Hughie is doing just fine... He's the chilled out studio musician converted into the touring one...

For anyone to call this current line up a glorified cover band, don't forget who caused a this... That wonderful musician who is about to put out his Valentine Day album with his sweetheart... That would be the perfect release date bty...

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

bonjovi90 09-21-2017 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1228120)
Please!!! Hughie is doing just fine... He's the chilled out studio musician converted into the touring one...

For anyone to call this current line up a glorified cover band, don't forget who caused a this... That wonderful musician who is about to put out his Valentine Day album with his sweetheart... That would be the perfect release date bty...

I'm pretty sure that glorified lead singer had his fair share in the reasons for Richie's abscence as well.

BJFan99 09-21-2017 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleris (Post 1228105)
I will mark your words and show it to you the next time Jon butchers a super easy song and you will look really stupid.

There's zero evidence to suspect a substantial improvement in the vocals department in comparison to the NA leg.

I'm sorry - I strongly apologize for actually enjoying the current tour more than I expected. However, for me the easy songs (Knockout, Because We Can, Who Says, God Bless This Mess, Captain Crash) are the ones that Jon seems to struggle the most with. He's somewhat decent (by post-2011 standards) on Bed Of Roses, Always (judging by the three renditions we've gotten this year so far - and no, not even the LA version was "terrible" in my opinion), Lay Your Hands On Me, Wanted and Blood On Blood. Even It's My Life, In These Arms, Have A Nice Day, Keep The Faith and Bad Medicine sound quite a bit better nowadays than they did from late '13 to '15 (although Jon's vocals on them are still pretty poor in general). Out of the new songs, he often seems to be out of breath on Roller Coaster, but he usually still does a decent job on it overall. However, his vocals on We Don't Run are atrociously weak pretty much every time. Overall, I wouldn't say his voice is necessarily "shot" - it's extremely inconsistent, and that, in my opinion, is very sad. At times he sounds like the JBJ of old and at times like a 80-year-old karaoke singer. I can't even imagine how frustrated the poor guy must be.

PS. Jon screamed during KTF in Porto Alegre. What about that?

Rdkopper 09-21-2017 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1228123)
I'm pretty sure that glorified lead singer had his fair share in the reasons for Richie's abscence as well.

Maybe so... And I don't necessarily fault Richie for leaving... I just fault him for the way he did it... If he actually finished the tour, THINF might be a JBJ Solo album instead of a band album right now...

rolo_tomachi 09-21-2017 08:04 PM

I'm sorry but I do not buy this. Jon is far from giving a good show, and it bothers me to say it seriously. I have come to a point with myself that I wish the best for this band, even with Shanks and Phil on the boat. But they are far from good, not even solid. It's a shame, other bands of his age, who have also been worn out over the years, are tourning making shows more solid, very good, and it gives me a bit of anger and sadness that Jon can not regain some solidity in its performances, because he was the best doing that, the magic moments, I have never looked for the perfect performance in a live show, always treated to value more of that magic and passion in the show, that is completely lost now, and I want it to return.

My hope is in the work of studio. I think Jon loves to do albums, and that's fantastic, I must admit that there are a good number of BB and THINFS songs that I love, so I hope this is not the end, just a bump in the road, and continue making albums.

As for tours, as I not able to enjoy the show, hopefully someday he find that thing that was lost live (and I don't mean Sambora), I hope it is also smarter and their tours they are shorter, I think that 1 year of tour is well, they do not have to stretch during 2 years.

Cap Crash 09-22-2017 06:58 PM

"Jon is improving". That's good news."The setlist is decent". Another good news."Performances getting better each show". That's good news again.
"Positive reviews are all over the place". Somewhat suprising but still good news.

Other than these four impressive positives, there are still a lot of things that confuses me the most. I mean Phil X and Dave can hype the crowd up if they're just given the chance to take the stage. The band is not even having fun. They look like they're having a band session at a funeral. Onstage interactions with the band members is pretty rare on this tour. And also, the man's mobility. He is not moving. If he is, then probably on songs like WGIGO, LYHOM and BM. Lastly I think I'm the only here who hates the acoustic version of Saturday Night. The version destroyed the song's mood. And those speeches and adlibs? Where are these extras now?!

Despite with these negatives,I am now satisfied on what the band has right now, my previous views to them might be inconsistent but judging on what the band shows right now takes away those inconsistent views of mine. Jon is climbing his way up to improvement, and I would not be surprised if he delivers much much better on the next leg.

James_86 10-01-2017 10:57 AM

You lot could start an argument in an empty room.

These South American shows have been the best live performances post Richie IMO. If you can't see Jon is improving show by show, it's just plain ignorance. Obviously the voice is never going to recover properly but let's just enjoy the ride while we still can.

I'm looking forward to seeing them next year in Europe personally. I think there are a lot of reasons to be positive. Phil is just as much part of the band as Dave, Tico, and Hugh now for me.

On a side note, after hearing RSO, I wouldn't want Richie anywhere near the band. It is truly, truly atrocious.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

TheOriginalJez 10-01-2017 01:45 PM

I would be pissed if I'd paid to see this tour so far tbh... yes things are getting better but there's so many better live bands I could spend my money on right now. Until the guys start moving their asses the CD's are much better quality.

danfan 10-03-2017 02:13 PM

This has to be a joke.

This tour is awful. The obvious part being Jon has never sounded worse. That's being generous. I find him unlistenable. The big, black dude with the stupid grin on his face for 2 hours banging a the cowbell, Jon Shanks, the set list (as usual). I've seen the band over 50 times. This was the worst show I've ever seen (or heard). I blame a lot of Richie not being there. The whole sound of the band has changed (for the worse). I think mentally, Jon is a bit lost up there without Richie.

All of that said, the biggest shame of this is I think the THINFS album, for the most part, is excellent.

Rdkopper 10-03-2017 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danfan (Post 1229151)
This has to be a joke.

This tour is awful. The obvious part being Jon has never sounded worse. That's being generous. I find him unlistenable. The big, black dude with the stupid grin on his face for 2 hours banging a the cowbell, Jon Shanks, the set list (as usual). I've seen the band over 50 times. This was the worst show I've ever seen (or heard). I blame a lot of Richie not being there. The whole sound of the band has changed (for the worse). I think mentally, Jon is a bit lost up there without Richie.

All of that said, the biggest shame of this is I think the THINFS album, for the most part, is excellent.

Danfan, it really wasn't awful... Jon showed significant improvement on many songs and even had highlighted moments... Don't be those close-minded fans who watch a highlight or two of the most difficult songs in the catalog and base your opinion of the entire tour on that...

I'll ask you to watch a few great moments from Sao Paulo so you can get an accurate opinion instead of just spewing nonsense with no backing...

1. The second half of Saturday Night after Jon's speech...

2. The last 3 minutes of These Days

3. Bed Of Roses

4. Bad Medicine

Watch those videos on YouTube and then come back with a real opinion besides the 'The Big Black Dude Banging A Cowbell"...