Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Desmond Child - Bat III (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=36652)

Bleeding Purist 08-05-2006 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim
I doubt that Desmond is a famous songwriter because he writes cheesy pre-choruses ;) But yeah, he is hired to give the songs a glossy touch - poppy so to speak.

Alpha, those are just samples of his style. The entire chorus of YGLABN is another example. The lyrics and melody are total Desmond.

"Shot through the heart and you're to blame, you give love a bad name"

"Feel my heat, taking you higher. Burn with me, Heaven's on Fire"

I'm well aware of precisely what he does to the songs, I used to be a fan of Desmond's work. I don't agree that he provides the band with their best material.

gazthomas 08-05-2006 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleeding Purist

I'm well aware of precisely what he does to the songs, I used to be a fan of Desmond's work. I don't agree that he provides the band with their best material.

love that song so easy to play

Bleeding Purist 08-05-2006 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yomamasofat
Desmond Child made all the classic singalong choruses. Bon Jovi wouldn't have been successful without his touch. I'm all for Desmond working with Bon Jovi. True, besides the classic LOAP, Bad Name, Bad RX, KTF, etc etc etc, they produced turds like Diamond Ring, but hey most of These Days are turds anyway. On the same token, Def Leppard should get Mutt back in the studio with them and start writing good tunes again.

So you're the guy that is always in the parking lot blasting Hysteria and wearing a T Shirt from the 80s. It's 2006 and they've had much better material since.

I consider Bad Medicine a turd, it was steaming the day it was served up. His contribution to Something for the Pain is actually what hurts the song.

bjcrazycpa 08-05-2006 12:36 AM

Quote:

I agree. My favorite Bon Jovi songs are actually the ones that Desmond did NOT have a hand in.

gazthomas 08-05-2006 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yomamasofat
Desmond Child made all the classic singalong choruses. Bon Jovi wouldn't have been successful without his touch. I'm all for Desmond working with Bon Jovi. True, besides the classic LOAP, Bad Name, Bad RX, KTF, etc etc etc, they produced turds like Diamond Ring, but hey most of These Days are turds anyway. On the same token, Def Leppard should get Mutt back in the studio with them and start writing good tunes again. Rock bands should not be ashamed of working with a well known producer, if they've proven that they work well together. Unless you're Metallica and the producer is Bob Rock.

ur talkin shit man

Alphavictim 08-05-2006 01:20 AM

Quote:

Alpha, those are just samples of his style. The entire chorus of YGLABN is another example. The lyrics and melody are total Desmond.
Yes, I know. It was just that it seemed you wanted to downplay his influence - in a way the band was doing it as well, referring to him as "the touch" instead of "the hooks" - to writing pre-choruses ;)

Quote:

"Shot through the heart and you're to blame, you give love a bad name"

How about

"If you were a woman and I was a man, would it be so hard to understand"

'cause that's were the chorus of YGLABN is from ;)

Quote:

Used? If I may ask, something particular happened?

Quote:

So you're the guy that is always in the parking lot blasting Hysteria and wearing a T Shirt from the 80s. It's 2006 and they've had much better material since.
Well, not all of us were "there" during the 80s. Some enjoy that music and stuff NOW for the first time.

Quote:

His contribution to Something for the Pain is actually what hurts the song.
Please elaborate.

Also, all of this is not meant to be aggressive or anything. I'm just curious.

kjfoxx2k 08-05-2006 07:22 PM

Someone else noticed...

I thought I was the only person, fellow Jim Steinman addicts excluded, who owned Bonnie Tyler's 'Secret Dreams and Forbidden Fire'

YGLABN is ripped off point-blank, lock-stock-barrell from If You Were a Woman (And I was a Man). Even the synth-bass during the verses is the same feel and progression as Richie's guitar riff.

KJ
----------------------

How about

"If you were a woman and I was a man, would it be so hard to understand"

'cause that's were the chorus of YGLABN is from ;)

yomamasofat 08-06-2006 05:00 PM

Quote:

I consider Bad Medicine a turd, it was steaming the day it was served up. His contribution to Something for the Pain is actually what hurts the song.

Actually no. And there are some stuff in the 90s that are better than the 80s. Like In These Arms.