Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Skid Row (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=25495)

diego66 05-27-2004 01:15 PM

Skid Row

Does anybody know the real deal with these guys, from what Ive heard, they started up with Bon Jovi and they made a promise 2 eachother that whoever makes it big 1st would help the other out. Apparently JBJ ripped them off somewhere down the line. Anyway they are a great band and I would reccomend a couple of songs in '18 and Life' and'I remember you'

RichieW2001 05-27-2004 01:30 PM

we've been through this a million times before. the skid row guys have all since admitted that they knew what they were signing. all except mr bach, that is.....

Becky 05-27-2004 03:30 PM

Skid Row wasn't even formed when Bon Jovi was, so there could not have been such a promise made. Dave Sabo was too young to be in Jon's band which is why they looked for a replacement and found Richie.

Go to Metal Sludge and read Dave Sabo's interview. Jon and Richie did not rip them off.

Becky

Mike McRock 05-27-2004 04:05 PM

I always thought it was a kind of catch 22 thing with Skid Row...

Yes Bon Jovi ripped them off in that they took a hell of a lot out of them, setting up an unfair contract with they willingly signed.

HOWEVER, if Bon Jovi hadn't have taken them under their wing they probably wouldn't have sold, certainly wouldn't have got on the big tours they did.

So I still think Bon Jovi should have taken much less from the band, but then there was a lot to take because of what Bon Jovi gave them.

I think also the reason Seb is the only person who'd say anything is because he's the only person who probably really doesn't care about Bon Jovi. The rest of them woudln't say too much against him because he's such a big name in music... Not somebody you want to be slagging off! Seb has a rock and roll attutide in that way, but his attitude is what's going to stand in the way of him ever singing in a real rock band again (I don't blaim Slash for turning him down-despite the fact I don't think there are many better vocalists out there)

spunkywho 05-27-2004 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike McRock
Yes Bon Jovi ripped them off in that they took a hell of a lot out of them, setting up an unfair contract with they willingly signed.

HOWEVER, if Bon Jovi hadn't have taken them under their wing they probably wouldn't have sold, certainly wouldn't have got on the big tours they did.

I agree.

The mere fact that SR knew what they were signing doesn't mean they weren't ripped off. If you are an up and coming band you are more likely to sign your life away then if you are an established band with a choice of record labels.

Aerosmith was ripped off - even though they knew what they were signing and the contract reflected terms commonly used at the time. It still doesn't make it right.

Bach did have a great voice, but they really were never too well respected in their days. They were a hair band that rode on the glam metal train - like so many others. '18 and life' is a great song as are maybe a couple more and that is it.

DevilsSon 05-27-2004 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky
Go to Metal Sludge and read Dave Sabo's interview. Jon and Richie did not rip them off.

Becky

He says there :" However, we've never seen one cent back!"

Come on...everybody knows Jon and Richie ripped them off.

Becky 05-27-2004 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsSon

Long before any of the contract came out, the word was that Jon and Richie had written their songs, specifically the hits like 18 & Life and I Remember You. What Jon and Richie had were publishing rights, which is what songwriters get. So if they were really ghostwriters as was speculated from the moment Skid Row hit the shelves, then they got what they were due. Songwriters always make more much money than performers.

Becky

Jonny Sambora 05-28-2004 12:15 PM

If they didnt rip them how, how come Richie was so embarrased that he gave the money he made out of it back??

RichieW2001 05-28-2004 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonny Sambora
If they didnt rip them how, how come Richie was so embarrased that he gave the money he made out of it back??

he didn't. that was a rumour.

RockerFan 05-28-2004 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky
Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsSon

Long before any of the contract came out, the word was that Jon and Richie had written their songs, specifically the hits like 18 & Life and I Remember You. What Jon and Richie had were publishing rights, which is what songwriters get. So if they were really ghostwriters as was speculated from the moment Skid Row hit the shelves, then they got what they were due. Songwriters always make more much money than performers.

Becky

these two songs were written by SABO/BOLAN!!!!!!!!