Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Hugh McDonald and Alec John Such (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=25595)

Captain Walrus 05-31-2004 12:38 PM

I think that the writing credits don't tell the whole truth about the music anyway, cos despite the fact that I think Jon is one of the greatest songwriters of all time, I refuse to believe that he wrote all the music, and especially the guitar solo, for Dry County

Keep On Rockin'

Sambo-Chris 05-31-2004 12:38 PM

He even wrote both then. Anyway, he isn't mentioned at all on both songs.

thesedays2003 05-31-2004 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Walrus
I think that the writing credits don't tell the whole truth about the music anyway, cos despite the fact that I think Jon is one of the greatest songwriters of all time, I refuse to believe that he wrote all the music, and especially the guitar solo, for Dry County

Keep On Rockin'

I completely agree with you on that one m8!

Iceman 05-31-2004 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sambo-Chris
It was the Keep the faith bassline but anyway. I wonder, too, esp. since Jon said once that everyone who is somehow involved in a song is mentioned as the writer. Hugh isn't on KTF.

Duh. You fon't get songwriting credits for a bassline. It's called arranging. Hugh came up with the bass line, Jon & Richie wrote the song.

Quote:

I refuse to believe that he wrote all the music, and especially the guitar solo, for Dry County

Of course he didn't write the guitar solo, but he did write all the chords, melodies and the lyrics. The rest was _arranged_ by the band and the producer.

Ice

thesedays2003 05-31-2004 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman
Quote:

It was the Keep the faith bassline but anyway. I wonder, too, esp. since Jon said once that everyone who is somehow involved in a song is mentioned as the writer. Hugh isn't on KTF.

Duh. You fon't get songwriting credits for a bassline. It's called arranging. Hugh came up with the bass line, Jon & Richie wrote the song.

Quote:

I refuse to believe that he wrote all the music, and especially the guitar solo, for Dry County

Of course he didn't write the guitar solo, but he did write all the chords, melodies and the lyrics. The rest was _arranged_ by the band and the producer.

Ice

Still think the "arrangers" should get more credit. The bass line to KTF is PART of the song and a bloody important one too, as is the one on LOAP. I think Hugh or whoever wrote it should be considered as one of the "writers" but that's just my view

Sambo-Chris 05-31-2004 02:08 PM

Quote:

You are right for usual songs but in KTF the bass line is a very important part of the song. I think esp. in that song the bassline is more than just arrangement.

Iceman 05-31-2004 04:38 PM

Quote:

You are right for usual songs but in KTF the bass line is a very important part of the song. I think esp. in that song the bassline is more than just arrangement.

Maybe, but still, bass lines do not earn song writing credits. Why doesn't Tico get credits for playing drums? Or David for playing keyboards?

Ice

RichieW2001 05-31-2004 04:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe, but still, bass lines do not earn song writing credits. Why doesn't Tico get credits for playing drums? Or David for playing keyboards?

Ice

exactly.

otherwise any old fella could come in and add a 'triangle' in production and get a credit. songwriting credits go for lyrics, melody, major song structure etc. (although some bands seem to dish writing credits out all too easily)

DannyBJ 06-01-2004 08:53 PM

FOR ME ONLY IS ALEC

Iceman 06-02-2004 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DannyBJ
FOR ME ONLY IS ALEC

UNDERSTAND NO CAN ONE POST YOUR.

Ice