Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2020: The New Album (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70436)

rolo_tomachi 07-22-2020 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1265796)
It's just like everything else in life. Priorities shift, music changes, technology takes over, short cuts become the new normal.

Cost also becomes a factor. I don't think Shanks charges Jon more to lay down a standard bass track and use a drum kit on a song that really has no main purpose.

And let's not forget that without Richie, it's no longer Bon Jovi the band. It's now the Jon Bon Jovi band featuring Dave and Tico when needed. Mainly for touring and playing the old stuff.

Finally, you need to understand Jon lingo. When Jon says he's recording Do What You Can with the band. He's not talking in a literal sense. He's not calling Phil, Hugh, Dave, and Tico. It's an easy way of saying that it's not some JBJ acoustic song. It's going to be recorded with instruments and produced as a real song.

The rule of thumb is, you need to go into everything with low expectations and hope to be surprised with the final result.

Overall, of the 4 songs we've heard from the new album, I don't hate them. They will never compare to the classics. It's all just repeat and recycle but I'm still happy to get new music. Sure they get old quick but they blend nice in a shuffle. I'm hopeful that there will be a few on the new album that I'll like. There always are.

I can pick four songs from each album (Burning Bridges, What About Now, and This House Is Not For Sale) and make a good playlist to enjoy.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

I think this is the feeling of the majority of fans in recent years.

Jonty 07-23-2020 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1265796)
It's just like everything else in life. Priorities shift, music changes, technology takes over, short cuts become the new normal.

Cost also becomes a factor. I don't think Shanks charges Jon more to lay down a standard bass track and use a drum kit on a song that really has no main purpose.

And let's not forget that without Richie, it's no longer Bon Jovi the band. It's now the Jon Bon Jovi band featuring Dave and Tico when needed. Mainly for touring and playing the old stuff.

Finally, you need to understand Jon lingo. When Jon says he's recording Do What You Can with the band. He's not talking in a literal sense. He's not calling Phil, Hugh, Dave, and Tico. It's an easy way of saying that it's not some JBJ acoustic song. It's going to be recorded with instruments and produced as a real song.

The rule of thumb is, you need to go into everything with low expectations and hope to be surprised with the final result.

Overall, of the 4 songs we've heard from the new album, I don't hate them. They will never compare to the classics. It's all just repeat and recycle but I'm still happy to get new music. Sure they get old quick but they blend nice in a shuffle. I'm hopeful that there will be a few on the new album that I'll like. There always are.

I can pick four songs from each album (Burning Bridges, What About Now, and This House Is Not For Sale) and make a good playlist to enjoy.

A great point well made! And to be honest, the line about 'will never compare to the classics' is bang on! I feel like with most of the bands I listen to, there may be one or two good songs but in the end, nothing beats their old stuff!

Captain_jovi 07-23-2020 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1265793)
Well, I think that the fact that we think or have doubts about how and with whom these songs has been recorded, is already a bad sign of what BJ has become as a band.

I would like to know how we got to this point, I mean, the exact moment where Jon preferred to record without his band (or without some of the members) on the albums.And what was the real reason for all this. Maybe lack of commitment from the rest of the band? Maybe Jon doesn't want to disturb them and just leaves them more time with his family before going back on a massive tour? Maybe creative differences? make everything easier? This had to happen sometime in 2004/2009 and then it got worse.

But, again, people got it in their head it's session musicians and drum machines in place of the band. The narrative from the band is that starting in 2005 Jon and Richie recorded with Shanks. Tico, Dave and Hugh filled in their parts later. Lost Highway had a rumour that Tico played on about half the album but then again it started as a Jon and Richie duet album. The Circle was a return to form with some songs recorded live off the floor (Born to Follow for example) with the band.

So it's not a matter of when Jon preferred to record with out his band and more of why did people start thinking it wan't Tico and Hugh at all? David has said in interviews there's some songs he doesn't play on at all (I THINK circa 2009?) but at no point has it been said Shanks plays bass and programs the drums. Drum machines are always very prevalent on the demos (plenty of examples) but once it comes time for the album they get replaced by the real thing.

JackieBlue 07-23-2020 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOriginalJez (Post 1265787)
Did you see the It's My Life thing they did where Phil didn't show up until the solo? If there's a decent solo in this song then I'll agree on that point. Everyone just did their little bit. But at this point I don't think Hugh's played bass and I don't think Tico's played drums. I haven't heard ANY keys to suggest Dave's involved at all.

It's not just creative differences it's just a lacklustre performance all round on that 30 seconds.

I haven't seen it yet; but that doesn't surprise me. :)
From what I've seen, Phil-X doesn't seem to be nearly as excited about the band or the album as he used to be.

I get what you're saying, and I'm not arguing one side or the other. It's just that for all the songs I've seen (with the exception of American Reckoning), the credits list each of the band members, including Jon and Shanks, as "Associated Performer" and I have no reason to dispute that. But then, credits can mean everything or nothing.

My point is that I don't get the feeling that the band has had any more influence on this album (or on THINFS, for that matter) than they had on any of the other more recent releases, despite all the hype about being a "band album". So I don't understand why Jon keeps pushing that point.

But maybe RDK is right and it's just the difference between what Jon means by "band album" and what I thought it meant.

Captain_jovi 07-23-2020 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieBlue (Post 1265801)
I haven't seen it yet; but that doesn't surprise me. :)
From what I've seen, Phil-X doesn't seem to be nearly as excited about the band or the album as he used to be.

I get what you're saying, and I'm not arguing one side or the other. It's just that for all the songs I've seen (with the exception of American Reckoning), the credits list each of the band members, including Jon and Shanks, as "Associated Performer" and I have no reason to dispute that. But then, credits can mean everything or nothing.

My point is that I don't get the feeling that the band has had any more influence on this album (or on THINFS, for that matter) than they had on any of the other more recent releases, despite all the hype about being a "band album". So I don't understand why Jon keeps pushing that point.

But maybe RDK is right and it's just the difference between what Jon means by "band album" and what I thought it meant.

Agree with all of this. I think much like past albums it will be a mix of songs recorded by the band live off the floor and songs Jon and Shanks did with the band added later and Phil sporadically here and there. I never really "bought" the big deal that he's a full member.

To ME, when Jon says he recorded with the band it's one or the other of those two.

YOVANAfromPeru 07-23-2020 02:39 AM

He said "with the guys" and "from us" not exactly with the band anyway...

Captain_jovi 07-23-2020 06:03 AM

via iTunes, new official release date is Oct 2. Tracklist got shook up too. New one:

1.Limitless
2.Do What You Can
3. American Reckoning
4. Beautiful Drug
5. Story of Love
6. Let it Rain
7. Lower the Flag
8. Blood in the Water
9. Brothers in Arms
10. Unbroken

So the biggest changes are.....STILL TEN TRACKS. Luv Can and Shine were dropped from the record. I'm sure we'll get them as bonus tracks or iTunes exclusives.

Rdkopper 07-23-2020 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1265811)
via iTunes, new official release date is Oct 2. Tracklist got shook up too. New one:

1.Limitless

2.Do What You Can

3. American Reckoning

4. Beautiful Drug

5. Story of Love

6. Let it Rain

7. Lower the Flag

8. Blood in the Water

9. Brothers in Arms

10. Unbroken

So the biggest changes are.....STILL TEN TRACKS. Luv Can and Shine were dropped from the record. I'm sure we'll get them as bonus tracks or iTunes exclusives.

I guess for an album titled 2020, you can't ignore the two biggest issues of year.

Captain_jovi 07-23-2020 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1265812)
I guess for an album titled 2020, you can't ignore the two biggest issues of year.

True but I don't know why they didn't just add the two new songs instead of taking two off.

It kind of helps guess the vibes of the songs that got moved around as well. Have to imagine Brothers in Arms isn't a snoozefest tempo otherwise they wouldn't put it next to Unbroken.

Rdkopper 07-23-2020 06:11 AM

Do What You Can Is Out...

And Seb is wrong as usual. Completely different vocals and modified lyrics...

It's somewhat country and I actually like it. Love the upbeat tempo. And it's got a little Zac Brown Chick Fried in the Bridge but whatever.