Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Review: 1 - Bon Jovi (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=26874)

RyanBounce04 08-19-2004 02:17 AM

Review: 1 - Bon Jovi

Here you go... Review the album, give your thoughts, and your likes and dislikes. Review the debut album, "Bon Jovi".

Ryan

b0n_Jov1 08-19-2004 04:03 AM

Well, okay, I will stat that.

For a debut album from young boys coming from nowhere, I have to say its an excellent album. But if you compare it to their other works, (sww, nj, ktf...etc) you can clearly see they didnt know really well where they wanted to go and what style they wanted to play. One of my regrets is that in alot of the songs they are using the same chords, wich is making all the songs sounds the same, though they all have something different that makes you say: hey, they have talent.

Runaway is the song that made it first. A strong keyboard intro, a good storyline, great vocals and cool guitar works, and the song is on every radio station, good work overall.

Roulette keeps me wondering. The lyrics are cool , imo, the metaphor and all, I like it. but when it comes to the song, musically, im not sure anymore. maybe too much keyboards, i dont know, but theres something bugging me. but its a good song and im glad its on the album.

She dont know me is probably the song i dislike the most on the album. The band didnt wrote it, and you can see that, trough the lyrics AND through the music. I have nothing else to say on that one.

Shot trough the heart is a really good song. it shows their ability to put some simple lyrics on a great musical font and make it sounds awesome.

Love Lies and Breakout are kinda similar in some point. You can see in these songs that they werent really sure of themselves, so they took a song they like, and kinda repeat it

Burning For Love is good, thought not one of my favorites. Its in the same style as every song, though I prefer the other ones.

Come Back is one of my fave!!! I love that song. Energy, Emotion, Guitar, Voice, Keyboard......i dont think i have to name it all lol

Get Ready is one of the typic 'im-starting-to-get-big-so-I-wanna-show-my-rock n roll-side' if you know what I mean

Im pretty happy with that album, though there would be some song that I would take off. Anyway, hope you enjoyed my review

Arash 08-19-2004 03:47 PM

The first album, Bon Jovi, is one of my favorite, cause its all in all full of 80's rock sense and style, that I love.
I personally like it more than Keep the faith, Crush, Bounce, One wild night and This left feels right.
The songs are musically great, but lyrically they are really weak. too bad they dont play from this album anymore. i would really like to hear these songs live.

Runaway: I dont like the song so much, not that its a bad song, i just cant relate to it, the idea of the song is good, but they way its said is so bad.
also no Richie in the song, so i dont bother listening to it so much...

Roulette: one of my favorite of the album, the lyrics is stupid, but the song really rocks!

She don't know me: I like the song, not a real rock tune, but its a beautiful song, with a catchy lyrics. different from the whole album, kinda reminds me of Without love.
They should care about this song and play it, who cares if the band hasnt written it? there are other songs on the albums that jon isnt the writer, thought his name is mentioned.

Shot through the heart: I like the piano on this songs, the song is similar to Runaway and I'd die for you. good song totally.

Love lies: I like this song more than the other songs on the album, i think its so great. David does a really great job on the song.
I also really like the lyrics, and the guitar and bass work is also wonderful. and what can I say about vocals?? listen to the last chorus and see how great jon sings it.
everything about the song is so great, thats why its my favorite through the whole album.

Breakout: another good song on the album, nothing special about the lyrics, but guitars are good like other songs on the album.

Burning for love: great upbeat rock song, another favorite of mine from the album, though I dont like the lyrics.

Come back: My secend favorite from the album, nothing special about the lyrics, but its the guitar work that makes me like this song.
All of the riffs that richie playes, with a nice solo. i really like this song.

Get ready: probably the hardest song on the album, with a nasty lyrics ;) i like the song so much, another great guitar work from richie.

Kathleen 08-19-2004 05:41 PM

As a quick comment - this sound of this album always reminds me of the group Journey.

Kathleen

~saz~ 08-19-2004 08:40 PM

This is one of my favourite Jovi albums. Although some of the songs sound similar, it is a good debut and a good showcase for the band's talents. Way better than Crush.

Rob 08-19-2004 10:05 PM

I think it was a good debut for a comercial rock band. I love nearly all the songs on that record, even though a few of em may be cheesy. Favourate tracks are Runaway, Roulette, Shot Through The Heart, and Get Ready.

Rob 08-19-2004 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arash
Roulette: one of my favorite of the album, the lyrics is stupid, but the song really rocks!

I think the lyrics are very meaningful. Have you ever played Roulette? It can be bloody addictive and many good people have come to ruin gambling in games such as Roulette. "Caught up in a game you can't win." That's really true. You can obviously win, but if you don't know when to walk away then you're never gonna be a winner. I think you should listen a little more carefully and perhaps play a little Roulette if you wanna understand more.

Dawn 08-20-2004 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathleen
As a quick comment - this sound of this album always reminds me of the group Journey.

Kathleen

I 2nd that. :D

Dawn

Iceman 08-20-2004 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob
I think you should listen a little more carefully and perhaps play a little Roulette if you wanna understand more.

First of all, it's an opinion. And you have to remember that Arash isn't a native English speaker and if I remember correctly he's been asking a lot about lyrics here, so it's no wonder if he misses a metaphore or two.

Ice

Supersonic 08-20-2004 10:17 AM

Aloha !

I don't understand why someone should play roulette to understand the lyrics from Roulette. :|

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan