Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Tour Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Top Tour so far this year (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=55872)

Becky 07-12-2013 11:06 PM

Top Tour so far this year

http://www.bonjovi.com/en/news/55281...r#.UeBvLW3x9f1

ticos_stick 07-12-2013 11:26 PM

Quote:

BON JOVI Because We Can - The Tour, which launched in February 2013 and has consistently sold out stadiums and arenas around the world.
Consistently? did they sell out one stadium on this tour?

Chris_Newton 07-12-2013 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ticos_stick (Post 1146161)

Did a bit of band praise hurt?

SuperBrad 07-12-2013 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ticos_stick (Post 1146161)

Who cares !? They are number 1 !!! And better than Springsteen !

ticos_stick 07-12-2013 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperBrad (Post 1146163)

I'm sure the day Bruce is worried about top grossing tours he'll too charge $400 to get closer to the stage.

Chris_Newton 07-12-2013 11:41 PM

Quote:

This.... Don't worry he is a glorified troll

steel_horse75 07-13-2013 12:19 AM

Hardly anyone completely sells out a venue these days.

Captain Walrus 07-13-2013 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_Newton (Post 1146162)
Did a bit of band praise hurt?

He does make a fair point ... flat out lying on an official press release is hardly a good move

Becky 07-13-2013 03:50 AM

http://www.pollstar.com/news_article.aspx?ID=805893

Bon Jovi's average ticket price is less than Bruce's and Fleetwood Mac's and a fraction of the Stones' average ticket price.

SexxAtraxxion 07-13-2013 06:02 AM

Quote:

Springsteen's Wrecking Ball Tour grossed 318 million.

Jovi's biggest tour only grossed 210 million (Lost Highway Tour).

Emisambora 07-13-2013 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky (Post 1146155)

Really bad news for trolls and haters.

Walleris 07-13-2013 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SexxAtraxxion (Post 1146210)
Springsteen's Wrecking Ball Tour grossed 318 million.

Jovi's biggest tour only grossed 210 million (Lost Highway Tour).

Nonsense. The Circle Tour (2010-11) grossed 343 million (Wikipedia), bigger than Bruce obviously. If you want to be ignorant and say "well that was 2 different tours", then you should know that Wrecking Ball is a 2 year tour, so it only makes sense to compare if you combine 2010+2011 for Jovi.

I'm a Bruce fan too, don't get me wrong, I'm just really sick of you choosing to use the numbers that comfort your thoughts and arguments rather than provide facts.

tigrs99 07-13-2013 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleris (Post 1146218)
Nonsense. The Circle Tour (2010-11) grossed 343 million (Wikipedia), bigger than Bruce obviously. If you want to be ignorant and say "well that was 2 different tours", then you should know that Wrecking Ball is a 2 year tour, so it only makes sense to compare if you combine 2010+2011 for Jovi.

I'm a Bruce fan too, don't get me wrong, I'm just really sick of you choosing to use the numbers that comfort your thoughts and arguments rather than provide facts.

Circle tour grosses $142 million You adding numbers
for Bon Jovi Live Tour that started in 2011 The 2 tours
had different names so for ticketing gross they cant be added

steel_horse75 07-13-2013 07:57 AM

Get.out.more

Bon jovi have biggest tour. If you don't like it then tough

Walleris 07-13-2013 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigrs99 (Post 1146222)
Circle tour grosses $142 million You adding numbers
for Bon Jovi Live Tour that started in 2011 The 2 tours
had different names so for ticketing gross they cant be added

I'm well aware they had different names, but if you read my post carefully, you'd understand the reason I combined numbers is because the topic of Bruce vs. Bon Jovi started again, this time in terms of touring gross. Because Wrecking Ball is 2 year tour, so it's only fair to compare it if you combine Jovi's 2010+2011. Cause when you really thinkg about it, it was the record label's influence to have a different name for 2011, so it'd promote GH instead of The Circle, but in reality, it was still the same tour, the break between them was not any longer than other breaks between legs.

tigrs99 07-13-2013 07:59 AM

Pollstar numbers are just an estimate They get data
from band management cos and if they don't have full data they estimate
the numbers based on past performances
Actual numbers are reported to Billboard prob in few weeks
Pollstar is reported Springsteen 2013 gross as $103 million while
actual data reported to Billboard by his promoters is about $93 million
Full pollstar Midyear report
http://www.pollstarpro.com/files/cha...dwideTours.pdf

tigrs99 07-13-2013 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleris (Post 1146224)
I'm well aware they had different names, but if you read my post carefully, you'd understand the reason I combined numbers is because the topic of Bruce vs. Bon Jovi started again, this time in terms of touring gross. Because Wrecking Ball is 2 year tour, so it's only fair to compare it if you combine Jovi's 2010+2011. Cause when you really thinkg about it, it was the record label's influence to have a different name for 2011, so it'd promote GH instead of The Circle, but in reality, it was still the same tour, the break between them was not any longer than other breaks between legs.

Comparing Bruce to Bon Jovi is like comparing apples to
oranges His maximum tkt is about $105
and maximum tkt for Bon Jovi is prob $500 if you disregard VIP packages

PanosBonJovi 07-13-2013 09:17 AM

I never expected to see people arguing about Bon Jovi vs. Bruce, who's the best live act. How retard some people are? Anyway, so far regarding to Wiki's data/Billboard's data all shows of Bon Jovi were sold out.

nikos greece 07-13-2013 09:18 AM

this whole springsteen comparison is getting reaaly old and boring...i wonder if there is any other band forum where the fans consistently bring up the same "other" artist to put down "their" band...why should springsteen come up in every chance???for gods sake...it ends up look like trolling to me...
the guys are a real force in the touring industry, like it or not. they may not sell many cds now but they keep selling tickets year after year, with all this overtouring, lower new material quality and really high prices...
the numbers arenot lying, i m not talking about sold out shows, but the attendance shows the truth...
1.if bj had managed some things better the last decade they would rival u2 touring wise...
2.i was looking into the latest rolling stones tour,50&counting, the guys are in a league of their own...but their north america tour didnt sell as good as everyone expected...high ticket prices and many empty seats in an arena tour...compare the attendances between bj and rolling stones for the same arenas...(althougm i m not sure if rolling stones fans sit behind the stage...)
3.bruces tour reports sound exactly like bjs...bragging about the sold out shows and multiple nights etc...only the names change...so trying to convince us that only bj care about stats doent hold any water...
4. like it or not bj touring wise are on the higher level, up there with the stones madonna u2 and ac dc , acts like metallica, springsteen or coldplay for example are not in the same level. they are able to play stadiums around the world, charging as much as they charge and that speaks volumes...

i am not a fan of this band because of the stats but because of the music, having said that i dont get why some people try to put them down with every chance...
i dont like wan, i dont like the richie fiasco, philx/bobby, i dont like jons attitude sometimes BUT because we can tour is number one...why should we try to belittle it?

Walleris 07-13-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigrs99 (Post 1146226)
Comparing Bruce to Bon Jovi is like comparing apples to
oranges His maximum tkt is about $105
and maximum tkt for Bon Jovi is prob $500 if you disregard VIP packages

Yes, and you're quoting me because? I never initiated any of those 4569 times they've been compared. But if someone really wants them to compare so badly, then at least it should be on fair terms, which is what I was trying to bring to conversation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikos greece (Post 1146234)
...i wonder if there is any other band forum where the fans consistently bring up the same "other" artist to put down "their" band...

Spot on. That's a very weird phenomenon.

steel_horse75 07-13-2013 10:44 AM

**** Springsteen this is a Bon jovi forum.
I like Springsteen ...a lot but **** me shut up about him here!!!!

Kiwi78 07-13-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1146239)

And believe me they don't bring up Bon Jovi on a Bruce forum this often, LOL

I love both of them too, for different reasons. They can co-exist in the same world... really ;)

Both equally awesome for what they do.

Solid Sambora 07-13-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikos greece (Post 1146234)
4. like it or not bj touring wise are on the higher level, up there with the stones madonna u2 and ac dc , acts like metallica, springsteen or coldplay for example are not in the same level. they are able to play stadiums around the world, charging as much as they charge and that speaks volumes...

Don't be ridiculous. Bruce is up there all right. He would sell tickets at the same high prices. Choosing not to charge as much, and not ripping people off, speaks real volumes...

kleman 07-13-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solid Sambora (Post 1146243)
Don't be ridiculous. Bruce is up there all right. He would sell tickets at the same high prices. Choosing not to charge as much, and not ripping people off, speaks real volumes...

OO really, how about other tour markets like Japan, Australia, South America....Worldwide Bon Jovi are much bigger acts. No doubt about that. They are the same maybe in Europe and that it.....But we forget something, Bj are on the top for about 20 years (Europe), Bruce not.....

BTW i admire and love Boss little less than Jovi, but these two are my fav. all time artists :cool:

semigoodlookin 07-13-2013 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kleman (Post 1146244)
OO really, how about other tour markets like Japan, Australia, South America....Worldwide Bon Jovi are much bigger acts. No doubt about that. They are the same maybe in Europe and that it.....But we forget something, Bj are on the top for about 20 years (Europe), Bruce not.....

BTW i admire and love Boss little less than Jovi, but these two are my fav. all time artists :cool:

Yep, worldwide it is a different story, especially Asia and South America. Obviously in Europe and the U.S. it is probably fairly even.

I am not going to go into this much because I am not even sure, but aren't Bruce's tickets more expensive than Bon Jovi's? There are a few praising Springsteen for low prices and I always thought they were higher. Yay or nay?

TwinFan 07-13-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1146239)

No kidding. It got old a long time ago.

Panda 07-13-2013 06:47 PM

The only reason Springsteen gets compared is to show that Jon Bon has no excuse for his lazy changes and mediocre shows. Springsteen sets the bar, and Jon Bon is nowhere near.

milomom 07-13-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semigoodlookin (Post 1146245)
Yep, worldwide it is a different story, especially Asia and South America. Obviously in Europe and the U.S. it is probably fairly even.

I am not going to go into this much because I am not even sure, but aren't Bruce's tickets more expensive than Bon Jovi's? There are a few praising Springsteen for low prices and I always thought they were higher. Yay or nay?

In the U.S., Bruce's top ticket price is fraction of Bon Jovi's top price, plus Bruce doesn't offer all those insanely expensive VIP packages. On the flip side, Bruce doesn't have as many price points, so if you don't pull a good ticket, you'll end up paying the same price for one across the arena/stadium or up high.

EDIT - Jovi's ticket's are a lot cheaper in Europe, so maybe the difference isn't as dramatic. I've never bought Bruce tix over there, so I don't know how they compare.

ticos_stick 07-13-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milomom (Post 1146273)

EDIT - Jovi's ticket's are a lot cheaper in Europe, so maybe the difference isn't as dramatic. I've never bought Bruce tix over there, so I don't know how they compare.

Bruce tickets range from around £60-£80. But you can get to the very front of the stage with those tickets. There's no Diamond circle rip off and Gold circle is first come first served at the shows I've been to.

It's stupid comparing tours half way through the year anyway. Bon Jovi have played 60 shows and Bruce 31 shows. So it's obvious who would have grossed more.

dewey1961 07-13-2013 08:46 PM

MetallicA not as big as Jovi,someone having a laugh here,you try getting a Jovi ticket,dead easy,even Diamond circle,MetallicA,no chance.When did Jovi last sell out the Stade de France,did they even fill Bercy .. ? Just one example .. Plus they don't charge the stupid prices that Jon charges and yes that we are even stupider to pay.

SexxAtraxxion 07-13-2013 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleris (Post 1146218)

Two Jovi tours together grossed 343 million, but Jon played 33 more shows.

Bruce's Wrecking Ball tour is still going on, there are few more shows in this month so he'll gross 325 million at least. Imagine if he played another 33 shows.. he would make more money than The Circle Tour and the Bon Jovi Live Tour together.

Walleris 07-13-2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewey1961 (Post 1146289)
MetallicA not as big as Jovi,someone having a laugh here,you try getting a Jovi ticket,dead easy,even Diamond circle,MetallicA,no chance.When did Jovi last sell out the Stade de France,did they even fill Bercy .. ? Just one example .. Plus they don't charge the stupid prices that Jon charges and yes that we are even stupider to pay.

Really? I had no idea you can judge and compare how big are certain artists based on 1 country :rolleyes: Especially when that one country is the exception for Jovi in terms of popularity in Europe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SexxAtraxxion (Post 1146303)
Two Jovi tours together grossed 343 million, but Jon played 33 more shows.

Bruce's Wrecking Ball tour is still going on, there are few more shows in this month so he'll gross 325 million at least. Imagine if he played another 33 shows.. he would make more money than The Circle Tour and the Bon Jovi Live Tour together.

Once again, enough with his "two tours" nonsence. If the record label had also forced Bruce to release a GH compilation in the middle of the tour and he would've had no choice but to change the name of the tour, he'd also officially had 2 tours instead of 1. This is an equal tour vs. tour comparison, end of story.

Secondly, usually a band/artist does shows in places where they are demanded. Especially on such massive tours as Wrecking Ball and The Circle/Jovi live, they usually try visiting every place possible. So maybe more shows on a tour just means that the demand was bigger, don't you think? You can say "well, if Bruce had done more shows, then for sure...", who says Jovi couldn't have done the same and had even more shows with more revenue? Not every market is as oversaturated as Europe or US.

ticos_stick 07-13-2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleris (Post 1146315)
Secondly, usually a band/artist does shows in places where they are demanded. .

Lets not fool ourselves into thinking there was much demand for Bon Jovi shows on this tour. Apart from American arenas I can't think of many places that sold particularly well. Bruce has toured for two years and can still sell out two huge London dates within the space of a few weeks. That's demand.

I think we should all wait until full tour figures come out to start comparing too much though.

Supersonic 07-13-2013 10:20 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleris (Post 1146224)
Cause when you really thinkg about it, it was the record label's influence to have a different name for 2011,

No it wasn't. That's the story Jon wants you to believe, but if Jon had pushed the issue he'd have been able to postpone the Greatest Hits record. All this nonsense about promising a Greatest Hits to the record company is exactly that; nonsense. Sure, a record company likes Greatest Hits records more than studio albums, especially with the one from Bon Jovi that was long overdue and had been promised several times before, but if Jon had wanted to he could've had the album released after the tour and bill the 2011 tour The Circle tour. A record company doesn't have much influence over an actual world tour.

Jon knew beforehand though that there's no way he'd have been able to sell as many tickets or promote it the way he did without a Greatest Hits to promote the tour, especially considering how poorly The Circle was received in Europe with it being the first Bon Jovi record that actually really tanked compared to albums before. A band doesn't need to change the name of a tour just because a Greatest Hits was released, but the 2011 performances were billed that way just so people knew Greatest Hits and more would get played.

In the end though, Bon Jovi fans seem to be brainwashed by the Bon Jovi number 1 tour propaganda nonsense. Bruce, among other artists, don't have the ridiculous VIP Diamond Circle packages. It'd be a lot more interesting to see who played for the most people in every area. Considering how Bruce did 3 in Italy while Bon Jovi couldn't sell out San Siro and Bruce did 9 shows in Scandinavia where Bon Jovi could barely do 4 in much smaller venues I'd say all this number 1 tour isn't showing who's the biggest act out there anymore. It's merely the one who's best at milking money out of their fanbase in the best way possible.

The only way Bon Jovi would be able to do more shows in Europe would be if they'd actually lower their fee, which would in return would mean a lower profit and numbers closer to the ones from Bruce. And even then I don't think Bon Jovi are actually capable of doing 9 shows in Scandinavia. This tour has been a cluster**** saleswise, and Jon knows it all too well.

Also, I think you're seriously underestimating Metallica's popularity in Europe. The difference is that they actually play the venues they can sell out, hence them playing stadiums with a capacity of 30.000 peope and not needing to rely on Groupon deals and the likes. Bon Jovi sells the same amount of tickets per show, yet plays in venues holding 50.000 people, thus not selling out any show at all anymore. Sure, they make more money, but the atmosphere at a Metallica show is very much like the atmosphere at a Bon Jovi show 10 years ago, when Bon Jovi did the same.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

milomom 07-13-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ticos_stick (Post 1146318)
Lets not fool ourselves into thinking there was much demand for Bon Jovi shows on this tour. Apart from American arenas I can't think of many places that sold particularly well. Bruce has toured for two years and can still sell out two huge London dates within the space of a few weeks. That's demand.

I think we should all wait until full tour figures come out to start comparing too much though.

The difference is that Bruce hasn't played any U.S. dates this year. He did 9 shows in Australia (Jovi has 6 on the schedule), and will have played 33 in Europe when that leg is over (Jovi only did 25). Trust me, he could play the U.S. this year if he wants to. Ticketmaster doesn't crash when Jovi tix go on sale, but you can count on it when Bruce's do.

ticos_stick 07-13-2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1146320)
Aloha !

No it wasn't. That's the story Jon wants you to believe, but if Jon had pushed the issue he'd have been able to postpone the Greatest Hits record. All this nonsense about promising a Greatest Hits to the record company is exactly that; nonsense. Sure, a record company likes Greatest Hits records more than studio albums, especially with the one from Bon Jovi that was long overdue and had been promised several times before, but if Jon had wanted to he could've had the album released after the tour and bill the 2011 tour The Circle tour. A record company doesn't have much influence over an actual world tour.

Jon knew beforehand though that there's no way he'd have been able to sell as many tickets or promote it the way he did without a Greatest Hits to promote the tour, especially considering how poorly The Circle was received in Europe with it being the first Bon Jovi record that actually really tanked compared to albums before. A band doesn't need to change the name of a tour just because a Greatest Hits was released, but the 2011 performances were billed that way just so people knew Greatest Hits and more would get played.

In the end though, Bon Jovi fans seem to be brainwashed by the Bon Jovi number 1 tour propaganda nonsense. Bruce, among other artists, don't have the ridiculous VIP Diamond Circle packages. It'd be a lot more interesting to see who played for the most people in every area. Considering how Bruce did 3 in Italy while Bon Jovi couldn't sell out San Siro and Bruce did 9 shows in Scandinavia where Bon Jovi could barely do 4 in much smaller venues I'd say all this number 1 tour isn't showing who's the biggest act out there anymore. It's merely the one who's best at milking money out of their fanbase in the best way possible.

The only way Bon Jovi would be able to do more shows in Europe would be if they'd actually lower their fee, which would in return would mean a lower profit and numbers closer to the ones from Bruce. And even then I don't think Bon Jovi are actually capable of doing 9 shows in Scandinavia. This tour has been a cluster**** saleswise, and Jon knows it all too well.

Also, I think you're seriously underestimating Metallica's popularity in Europe. The difference is that they actually play the venues they can sell out, hence them playing stadiums with a capacity of 30.000 peope and not needing to rely on Groupon deals and the likes. Bon Jovi sells the same amount of tickets per show, yet plays in venues holding 50.000 people, thus not selling out any show at all anymore. Sure, they make more money, but the atmosphere at a Metallica show is very much like the atmosphere at a Bon Jovi show 10 years ago, when Bon Jovi did the same.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Splendid post. Pretty much sums up the whole situation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by milomom (Post 1146321)
The difference is that Bruce hasn't played any U.S. dates this year. He did 9 shows in Australia (Jovi has 6 on the schedule), and will have played 33 in Europe when that leg is over (Jovi only did 25). Trust me, he could play the U.S. this year if he wants to. Ticketmaster doesn't crash when Jovi tix go on sale, but you can count on it when Bruce's do.

Yeah, I've seen quite a bit of upset on Bruce forums that he's not playing the US on this leg. I think he's got to the stage where he wants to play places he hasn't before. He's finishing off the tour playing random small cities in England & Ireland.

TheBoss 07-13-2013 11:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think it's close enough...

Bon Jovi

Concerts: 60
North America: 36
South Africa: 2
Europe: 22

Total = 1,486,726 tickets sold
North America and Africa = 657,318 tickets sold

Europe = 829,408 Tickets sold
Total Gross 74.0 million > 22 concerts
Average Price = 89,2 USD
Average crowd per concert = 37,700

Bruce Springsteen

Concerts: 31
Australia: 10
Europe: 21

Total = 969,504 Tickets sold
Australia = 153,144 Tickets sold

Europe = 816,360 Tickets sold
78.6 million > 21 concerts
Average Price = 96,2 USD
Average crowd per concert = 38,874

-d21336e6285d5c69.JPG

jovigirloz 07-14-2013 12:15 AM

Bruce sold out his shows in Australia and everyone I spoke to who went said it was one of the best concerts they had been to.

I hate the highest grossing comparison stuff. $ and more shows doesn't always equal quality.

Kiwi78 07-14-2013 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jovigirloz (Post 1146352)
Bruce sold out his shows in Australia and everyone I spoke to who went said it was one of the best concerts they had been to.

I hate the highest grossing comparison stuff. $ and more shows doesn't always equal quality.

Yes, me included. I came over for Melb's leg and it was the best thing I've ever seen/done/experienced.

And if I'm honest it was really hard not to sit there afterwards and compare it to what Jon does. But honestly, they are two very different people. I'm more than happy for them to co-exist in the same world and enjoy both acts.

The Rock 07-14-2013 02:27 AM

I don't need to go to a Bruce website, I learn everything about him on this forum!

A positive article about the band, can we enjoy? of course not, here comes the comparisons.