Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Jon rewriting some of the lyrics to Dry County? (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=50837)

Crushgen24/88 05-26-2010 06:48 AM

Jon rewriting some of the lyrics to Dry County?

Adam just pointed this out to me:

Quote:

Jon Bon Jovi rewrote the lyrics to "Dry County" for the new meadowlands opening shows
about 3 hours ago via web
http://twitter.com/Billboarddotcom/status/14727529715

It's from the verified Billboard Twitter page. I don't really know what to think of that.

JonGirl 05-26-2010 07:22 AM

Someone on the fan club board (that was at soundcheck tonight) just posted that the verses now have lyrics about the recent oil spill in the Gulf Of Mexico.

Wrath Mania 05-26-2010 10:00 AM

Part of me thinks that's awesome, because I love changeups like that that are timely and such. On the same hand, not sure what the Oil Spill has to do with the message of the song other than Jon wants to capitalize on current events. Wouldn't Obama sending a bunch of troops onto the Arizona Border to shoot hapless immigrants fit the message of the song a lot better? Oh, that's right; it would take balls to mention that.

Then again, maybe he will. Or maybe it will be vaguely brilliant. We will see. Either like, I like the idea of updating lyrics for certain shows. Because it definitely means Jon will be more into it.

Crushgen24/88 05-26-2010 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wrath Mania (Post 989145)
Part of me thinks that's awesome, because I love changeups like that that are timely and such. On the same hand, not sure what the Oil Spill has to do with the message of the song other than Jon wants to capitalize on current events. Wouldn't Obama sending a bunch of troops onto the Arizona Border to shoot hapless immigrants fit the message of the song a lot better? Oh, that's right; it would take balls to mention that.

Well, if memory (the lyrics) serve me right, the song is basically about a town of Oil workers who are left jobless and lifeless after the oil company abandons the town once the oil runs dry. So, I get the connection.
I'm of two minds on the whole thing:
I'm excited because going through this work seems to guarantee DC will get an airing or 2 at Giants, and maybe even become some sort of regular. On the other hand, if the song is changed too much and/or the new lyrics suck, is it worth it?

DryCounty 05-26-2010 10:47 AM

Well, now there seems to be a pretty big risk that we will get "Dry County" in Jersey. Intressting about this new verse ! :p

RS8MB0R8 05-26-2010 11:07 AM

Seems a bit of a 'loose' connection to me. The song's message seems unrelated to the current environmental disaster other than that both have the obvious link to oil so I'm not sure if it's just a superficial change to the song to justify playing it for casual gig-goers.

Maybe he did it to raise the profile of the track. I think Jon likes the song a lot and putting a modern spin on it may make people who are unaware of any songs other than the classic hits sit up and take notice of the masterpiece that is 'Dry County'. I doubt it though.

Still, DC should be played live more often so it can't be a bad thing if it gets aired a little more regularly as a result of the lyric change. I just hope they have done it in a writing style that stays true to the original as modern Jovi lyrics don't hold a candle to the power of the KTF and TD lyrics.

kenobi_on_a_prayer 05-26-2010 11:32 AM

I'm really curious to see what they do with this. Someone better get it on Youtube.

bonjovi90 05-26-2010 11:52 AM

They soundchecked it with the new lyrics yesterday. I'm curious to find out whether they rewrote all verses or just one of them.

bonjovi90 05-26-2010 03:12 PM

Not the complete song was re-written, but one verse seems to be about the oil spill in Mexico. In an interview Jon also stated that Hallelujah and Who Says wil be on the set tonight, so you'd better get all excited :D

Simon 05-26-2010 03:44 PM

In general I don't like rewriting lyrics to a class song. What I like is improvising lyrics live though. So, it depends on how it turns out. Anyway, I'm curious. And it means, they will play the bloody song!!!