Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   A few facts about Jon (itw) (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=69711)

Old Joysey 10-16-2016 12:54 PM

A few facts about Jon (itw)

Quote:

I get bored of singing my greatest hits. Do I really need to sing “Livin’ on a Prayer” one more time? Yes. Forever and ever, yes – and the thought of that depresses me. I have to reconcile that.
Quote:

The minute I’m not performing at the level I’ve become accustomed to, I’m out. You’re never going to see me on the “where are they now?” tour. I’ll never miss playing smaller venues, and it’s nothing to do with ego – I just enjoy looking out at a sea of people.
Quote:

I’ve always been content with a bottle of wine and going to bed. Drugs have never been a huge lure for me. I’ve seen a lot of people fall down the drugs rabbit hole over the years.
Quote:

There’s not a chance on earth that I’d put on a pair of ripped jeans now. I spent the early years aspiring to make money so I didn’t have holes in them any more.
More HERE.

Bleeding Purist 10-16-2016 06:07 PM

Quote:

I get bored of singing my greatest hits. Do I really need to sing “Livin’ on a Prayer” one more time? Yes. Forever and ever, yes – and the thought of that depresses me. I have to reconcile that.
I am not surprised by this as I'd feel the same way. What I wish he / they would do is stop and do some live re-working of these hits to give them a boost. When was the last time Prayer had any changes to the live arrangement? The Jersey Syndicate Tour? Blood On Blood has been kept somewhat fresh by swapping up the live arrangement over the years. Remember how excited we all were to hear the full electric version return at Shepherd's Bush in 2002? Born To Be My Baby had some re-working over the last decade to make the final bridge after the solo more dramatic. Touches like that can make all the difference. IML is badly in need of something like that. It's been performed dryly with no deviation from the studio arrangement since day one.

Bounce7800 10-16-2016 06:25 PM

Jon, if you want to sell out the desert twice, you gotta play your greatest hits.

There's nothing stopping you doing smaller shows like this week, there's a fanbase that would kill for the non hits and it keeps you fresh too.

Walleris 10-16-2016 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleeding Purist (Post 1210314)
I am not surprised by this as I'd feel the same way. What I wish he / they would do is stop and do some live re-working of these hits to give them a boost. When was the last time Prayer had any changes to the live arrangement? The Jersey Syndicate Tour? Blood On Blood has been kept somewhat fresh by swapping up the live arrangement over the years. Remember how excited we all were to hear the full electric version return at Shepherd's Bush in 2002? Born To Be My Baby had some re-working over the last decade to make the final bridge after the solo more dramatic. Touches like that can make all the difference. IML is badly in need of something like that. It's been performed dryly with no deviation from the studio arrangement since day one.

He tried to do that with ballads (IBTFY, Blaze, Always, BOR) on the HAND tour. And the reaction was so dreading to him that he still brought it up during the 2011 Q&A in Dublin.

If you're talking minor instrumental re-arrangements they still do it from time to time - KTF in 2013 was updated, so was Wanted (Bobby's parts). Lost Highway for a while had an instrumental interlude in 2010-2011. I guess they could do it to other songs as well, but my guess is Jon feels like those biggest hits (Prayer and IML) should not be messed with, which is kind of true, because we are not the audience they are playing those songs to.

Bleeding Purist 10-16-2016 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleris (Post 1210329)
He tried to do that with ballads (IBTFY, Blaze, Always, BOR) on the HAND tour. And the reaction was so dreading to him that he still brought it up during the 2011 Q&A in Dublin.

If you're talking minor instrumental re-arrangements they still do it from time to time - KTF in 2013 was updated, so was Wanted (Bobby's parts). Lost Highway for a while had an instrumental interlude in 2010-2011. I guess they could do it to other songs as well, but my guess is Jon feels like those biggest hits (Prayer and IML) should not be messed with, which is kind of true, because we are not the audience they are playing those songs to.

Nah, I'm not talking TLFR arrangements at all.

Born To Be My Baby is up there with any of them, so Prayer and IML do not get a pass. Little touches here and there (the Lost Highway bit was great! I forgot about that one.) These changes have no impact on the casual audience as they are still getting what they expect and more.

BD135 10-16-2016 08:34 PM

Most fans who go to his concerts would be content with hearing the 80s hits only. I remember doing "You Want To Make A Memory" for karaoke and most people there gave blank stares and some people were surprised to learn it was a Bon Jovi song.

Bleeding Purist 10-16-2016 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BD135 (Post 1210336)
Most fans who go to his concerts would be content with hearing the 80s hits only. I remember doing "You Want To Make A Memory" for karaoke and most people there gave blank stares and some people were surprised to learn it was a Bon Jovi song.

....Which is so unfortunate. When I meet people and tell them I'm a Bon Jovi fan, I feel the need to explain that is all about songs and albums they've no clue about....that they don't know Bon Jovi if their knowledge is limited to the overplayed radio hits. It's like saying you know Springsteen because you know Born In The USA (and probably mangle what that song is about to fit some patriotic nonsense. )

DryCounty 10-16-2016 10:03 PM

Well, It's My Life and Livin' on a Prayer are both done with backing tracks as it's impossible for the band to pull out those huge backing vocals unless they hire a choir of some sort. Especially with the way Jon's voice are today, it's not really the right time to drop those backing vocals.
I guess they could spice up the outro in LOAP when the backing vocals are done, but all in all we will never see an arrangement change in those songs as long as they're going for the backing tracks. Have a Nice Day is another one of those songs with a backing track, so there's no coincidence that one hasn't had a single arrangement change live in 11 years.