Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Tour Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   March 18th 2017 - Nationwide Arena, Columbus Thread (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=69908)

Thomas S 03-19-2017 07:40 AM

I can't confirm this, but I think that the band actually played Johnny B Goode all the way through during Sleep, not just a snippet.

Captmorgs 03-19-2017 09:08 AM

If he's sticking to these same songs because he's not fully confident in his voice, then it's strange he's gone for Always twice. If he can get through that, why not try Runaway or Superman Tonight or dozens of other songs which aren't nearly as difficult as Always?

Oh well, he has back to back shows coming up in Toronto and New York. If he's ever going to mix it up this leg, it might be there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JackieBlue 03-19-2017 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas S (Post 1221109)
I can't confirm this, but I think that the band actually played Johnny B Goode all the way through during Sleep, not just a snippet.

Oh, dear Lord! Does anybody else see the irony of playing JBG as a tribute to Chuck Berry tonite, and playing it during ISWID???

:rofl:

CLEYoungGun21 03-19-2017 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieBlue (Post 1221111)
Oh, dear Lord! Does anybody else see the irony of playing JBG as a tribute to Chuck Berry tonite, and playing it during ISWID???

:rofl:

Man... that just crossed my mind lol... RIP

JackieBlue 03-19-2017 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bounce442 (Post 1221107)
Back when Raise Your Hands appeared towards the end of the OWN tour, I couldn't have been happier. Now, after it's been played at 9/10's of every show on every tour leading up to this tour, YES, it is indeed a sad thing that it's the silver lining. IMO the silver lining was the JBG snippet and that's equally as sad, but it's nice to think the Sleep covers section has a chance of being back for good.

For those who are blaming stagnant sets on America's ADHD problem, stop. The US crowd doesn't like or respond better to LH or WLOL any more this tour than we have on previous tours. They weren't hits. The crowd doesn't know or want them but we power through, just like we would if Jon would choose to play something else.... anything else. Yes, the US hasn't got the diversity that Europe has received and maybe we don't deserve it, but this is beyond ridiculous. In the history of Bon Jovi, I dare to say the sets have never been this stagnant. Jon has a professional rock band up there. There are plenty of other songs in their catalog he is still capable of singing. They CAN throw the diehards 1 bone per show but besides Always they have only played 1 surprise this tour... and it was "I Got the Girl"... and it was because his daughter was there. What is going on?

Thank you for saying this! I thought I was the only one who felt this way and I don't go to enough shows to intelligently debate the point. But I instinctively could not accept that American audiences as a whole were as unsophisticated and ignorant as ppl here seem to imply in these discussions. Not unless there's just a relatively small group of ppl who consistently go to the BJ shows and nowhere else. Because most of the ppl I've come into contact with are more discerning than that. And I've been living here a LONG time. :D

Captain.Crash 03-19-2017 09:51 AM

It's obvious with this tour jon is hanging on to dear life with his voice and the sets are proof of it. He puts on the act in interviews but it's obvious to people like us.

The reality is that this has been progressing for years post the bounce and HAND tours and now it's at the point where casuals don't know any better and unless people stop coming there's no reason to stop marching out there.

I'm also starting to think the reason there are no video screens this go round is to hide his voice struggles from the casuals. Let's be honest... The majority outside of this board don't notice.

Burlhouse 03-19-2017 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain.Crash (Post 1221114)
It's obvious with this tour jon is hanging on to dear life with his voice and the sets are proof of it. He puts on the act in interviews but it's obvious to people like us.

The reality is that this has been progressing for years post the bounce and HAND tours and now it's at the point where casuals don't know any better and unless people stop coming there's no reason to stop marching out there.

I'm also starting to think the reason there are no video screens this go round is to hide his voice struggles from the casuals. Let's be honest... The majority outside of this board don't notice.

I would usually agree with what you're saying, but then I saw the video of JBG cover he did. He seemed more confident singing that than any of his own songs.

It's a sad day when the positive (?) thing we see in a concert is Jon not hanging to the mic whilst playing a cover.

hackster73 03-19-2017 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas S (Post 1221091)
https://www.facebook.com/jim.lambert.5473

They're playing Johnny B Goode right now!!

EDIT: That was their jukebox song for Sleep When I'm dead, back to Sleep now.

Surely a tribute to Chuck Berry

CLEYoungGun21 03-19-2017 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain.Crash (Post 1221114)

Yeah but I feel like anybody can hear when someone is struggling to sing...

Walleris 03-19-2017 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLEYoungGun21 (Post 1221117)
Yeah but I feel like anybody can hear when someone is struggling to sing...

One would think so, yes.

But when you have a few long-time fans on this board who go to shows and claim that Jon sounds fine, you can imagine the (lack of) performance expertise by an average concert attendees.