Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Other Bands (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   DeF LEppARd (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=31919)

Stratocaster 09-20-2005 04:22 PM

DeF LEppARd

Anyone here into Def Leppard at all?

I think they are an absolute quality band. Would love to see them live when they are next in the UK. Favourite song of theirs for me is 'Animal'.

Dave 1986 09-20-2005 05:50 PM

Love 'em.

Yes they are quality, or at least they were. You'll probably find alot of people on this board are also Def Leppard fans.

Yes Animal rocks everytime I hear it, so does the rest of the Hysteria album. I don't know how well you know them, but other albums to check out are Pyromania, High 'n' Dry, Slang and Euphoria. Just stay well away from Adrenalize.

Stratocaster 09-20-2005 06:52 PM

I have Pyromania, Hysteria, Adrenalize and X. I would have bought more but everytime I look at their other stuff in town they are Ģ17 each =/ I think I'll just order them off the net sometime. I also have two live dvds that they released, and the video hits dvd from not so long back. Really hoping that they hit the uk with a tour when theyve done in the US. They have a concert shirt on sale there that is ace looking so I wanna get that.

If your into the whole 80s hairmetal, melodic rock scene you might wanna check out "Giant" - only three albums - Last Of The Runaways, Time To Burn and 'III'. But all great albums, Dann Huff is an absolute guitar master, if you thought eddie van halen was good.... also have you heard anything off of the album "Double Eclipse" by Hardline? another great hard rock album.

EDIT - not quite sure why you dont like Adrenalize - I think its got some great stuff on there - LoL.. I wanna touch you is class, have you ever needed someone so bad is a top ballad. White Lightning is great apart from the 'overdone' musical intro.. should have cut that downa bit. Also if I remember right Heaven Is is on that album which aint a bad song

Rob 09-21-2005 12:53 AM

"And I want, and I need, and I know...."

Yeah Animal is one of the best DL songs. They were a good band.

Stut 09-21-2005 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob
They were a good band.

They still are. Itīs just that the quality of their latest albums havenīt been as good as in the 80īs or mid 90īs. Euphoria had 2 or 3 good ones, X had only 2, rest of the album sucked and that cover album (Yeah!) has only 1. Waste of time and money.

yomamasofat 09-21-2005 05:15 PM

I love the band... X album is kinda bad, and so is Slang (there are only a few good tunes out of these 2 albums) but the rest of the catalog is super, including that Adrenalize album (yes I love it, some cheesy tracks but some great tracks as well). Euphoria is a great album save for that godawful All Night.

Too bad the record company doesn't help promote them anymore. I'm looking forward to the covers album. I've heard some of their cover tunes (not from the upcoming album but stuff like Action, Elected, You Can't Always Get What You Want) and they are superb.

Stratocaster 09-21-2005 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob
"And I want, and I need, and I know...."

Yeah Animal is one of the best DL songs. They were a good band.

"And I Want, And I Need, And I Lust..." even... lol - trust me dude.. I used to think it was 'and i love' at first. Some poor sap is bound to think it says 'and i love animals' lol.

Also I remembered that lets get rocked and make love like a man are on adrenalize! Easily their second best album IMO. I also have to say I actually quite like X. The first 6 tracks are really good on that album, as is 'Girl Like You' IMO.

Mr Bluesman 09-21-2005 06:14 PM

Gone off them over the past few years. But, that's not to say that I don't still dig Pyromania and Hysteria. I also really like Euphoria.

Stratocaster 09-21-2005 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Bluesman
Gone off them over the past few years. But, that's not to say that I don't still dig Pyromania and Hysteria. I also really like Euphoria.

I really wanna get this album but can never find it - Ive only heard promises and to be alive but I really like both of those songs...

Dave 1986 09-21-2005 07:10 PM

Try Amazon for Euphoria, they're bound to have it. If you can, try and get the Japanese version, as it has I Am Your Child as a bonus track.

eheaps 09-22-2005 12:59 AM

I got their greatest hits 2 disc set a few weeks ago, i love almost every song on there, especially though, Photograph, and Foolin' and Amrageddon It.

Rob 09-22-2005 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stratocaster
"And I Want, And I Need, And I Lust..." even... lol - trust me dude.. I used to think it was 'and i love' at first. Some poor sap is bound to think it says 'and i love animals' lol.

Haha, there's a few DL songs that I'm not sure of the lyrics. Hysteria is one of my faves too.

Jon is gorgeous 10-05-2005 09:54 PM

oh yes great thread they are my fave band after jovi!!
i prefer all the stuff with steve clark! he is one fo my heroes and i sorely miss him
my fave songs are too late and gods of war

has anyone checked out the me and my wine video? it is so hilarious
def leppard are class

Stratocaster 10-06-2005 07:28 PM

second favourite band here also :) Never seen them live though - thats why Im hoping they'll hit the UK again asap. I've been listening to X alot recently.. I got that imported there are some good tracks on there.

Mongoose 10-06-2005 07:58 PM

Def who? What?

Stratocaster 10-07-2005 06:33 PM

given your location.. I'm taking that as a sarcastic comment...

Dave 1986 10-11-2005 12:13 PM

For those of you who are interested, I just read on the official site that the new covers album Yeah! is due for Spring 2006.

http://www.defleppard.com/backstage/...malvin_21.html

Wow that album's been delayed for like 2 years now. And their rehearsing for yet ANOTHER U.S. tour. Jesus guys, come back to your home turf!

danfan 10-11-2005 12:44 PM

I've always liked Def Leppard. One of my faves. Seen them live about 6 times. I saw them with Bryan Adams a couple months ago though, and believe it or not, Bryan Adams tore them a new one.

Jon is gorgeous 10-11-2005 02:23 PM

wow god i havent even seen then once :(
did you see them with steve or viv?

they are touring in england in march and i am definetely going!

has anyone heard phil collens new band? there really good!

Captain Walrus 10-11-2005 03:31 PM

I've only just got into them in the last, like, 6 months ... liking what I hear though. Would like to see them live, although I hear that their Live 8 performance was a bit crap?

Stratocaster 10-11-2005 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Walrus
I've only just got into them in the last, like, 6 months ... liking what I hear though. Would like to see them live, although I hear that their Live 8 performance was a bit crap?

Was it balls.. lol - IMO they were the best band out of anyone on show at Live 8.. not just at Philadelphia either. Their tone was spot on, only thing I could fault was that perhaps the lead vocals were a bit quiet.

Also - in response to Def Leppard hitting the UK in March.. where did you hear about that!?? if that's true next year is going to be a killer year, I still haven't seen Def Leppard live but I've been waiting for them to tour for about a year now =/...

eriK 10-12-2005 05:35 PM

I would say that def leppard was the greatest band in the world during pyromania och hysteria.
My all time favorite records.

Spikeout 10-12-2005 11:55 PM

Yeah Def Lep are basically my joint favourite band with Bon Jovi, awesome albums down the years High N Dry, Pyromania, Hysteria, Retro Active and the best Slang. X is very good I think and Euphoria is sounding pretty good too although a few daft songs especially All Night which is diabolical. This covers album is sounding rubbish so far and since its delayed to Spring 2006 it will push their next studio album back further which is a bummer....

Rob 10-13-2005 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stratocaster
Was it balls.. lol - IMO they were the best band out of anyone on show at Live 8.. not just at Philadelphia either. Their tone was spot on, only thing I could fault was that perhaps the lead vocals were a bit quiet.

No way were they the best band at Live 8! That performance was very shabby. As for being better than anyone else then I would say the majority of acts were shabby, but Pink Floyd were very distinctive saying they haven't played together for so long. The Who were good and Velvet Revolver were ok. REM did a good version of Everybody Hurts, but apart from that most acts were poor.

Javier 10-13-2005 05:25 AM

Def Leppard Rock. That's a band that definetly deserves more attention than they're getting. They always put out quality music (although X was too pop for def, it was still good music). And the aerosmith syndrome about letting other songwriters write for you instead of collaborating has got to go.

Dave 1986 10-19-2005 01:59 AM

Just read this from the official site for those who are interested.

http://www.defleppard.com/news/index.html

10.17.2005 : ROCK OF AGES: THE DVD COLLECTION
IT'S OFFICIAL! The near platinum success of the North American "ROCK OF AGES" double CD gets an added edge with a companion DVD, called "ROCK OF AGES: THE DVD COLLECTION". The release assembles the band's greatest videos for the first time on one DVD, along with the video for "NOW" (previously unavailable in North America). Also included is the brand new, 2005 rehearsal bonus video for the band's #1 CLASSIC ROCK song, "NO MATTER WHAT".
As added bonuses, the audio has been remastered with DTS & Dolby 5.1 surround sound and Dolby stereo, a first track-by-track commentary by the entire band is included, and there is a Personal Playlist option, where the viewer gets to sequence each video to their liking.
"ROCK OF AGES: THE DVD COLLECTION" is released in the USA and Canada on November 15.

http://www.defleppard.com/news/img/rockofages_dvd.jpg

1. POUR SOME SUGAR ON ME
2. PHOTOGRAPH
3. LOVE BITES
4. LET'S GET ROCKED
5. TWO STEPS BEHIND
6. ANIMAL
7. FOOLIN'
8. ROCKET
9. WHEN LOVE & HATE COLLIDE
10. ARMAGEDDON IT
11. HAVE YOU EVER NEEDED SOMEONE SO BAD
12. ROCK OF AGES
13. HYSTERIA
14. BRINGIN' ON THE HEARTBREAK
15. PROMISES
16. WOMEN
17. SLANG
18. WORK IT OUT
19. NOW

Well I have all their DVD's thus far therefor I have all their videos already, but I might import this one just for the audio commentary alone.

Captain Walrus 10-19-2005 02:01 AM

Quote:

The release assembles the band's greatest videos for the first time on one DVD
Thats a lie. The DVD my mate has includes all those videos and more, I'm sure of it

Dave 1986 10-19-2005 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Walrus
Thats a lie. The DVD my mate has includes all those videos and more, I'm sure of it

Yea, the UK Best Of The Videos DVD contains over 30 videos, containing 3 from Pyromania, then all the vids from the Hysteria album onwards up untill Long Long Way To Go from X, plus bonus videos (alternate version of Armageddon It, "Epic" 8 minute version of When Love And Hate Collide and the Directors cut of Slang).

And the videos not included on the Best Of DVD are scattered between the Historia and Vizualize/Video Archive DVD's.

The amount of videos on the US version sucks compared to the UK version but they've got audio commentary by the band on each video.

A NEW live DVD would be nice though.

Dave 1986 02-06-2006 05:45 PM

I read somewhere that Def Leppard are going to be working on a brand new studio album following the summer tour and promotiong the Yeah! album, but that won't probably see the light of day until mid 2007.

eriK 02-06-2006 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david2k86
I read somewhere that Def Leppard are going to be working on a brand new studio album following the summer tour and promotiong the Yeah! album, but that won't probably see the light of day until mid 2007.

Sounds great. Hopefull it will be a rock album not a pop album such as X.

SamboraQueen21 02-07-2006 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danfan
I've always liked Def Leppard. One of my faves. Seen them live about 6 times. I saw them with Bryan Adams a couple months ago though, and believe it or not, Bryan Adams tore them a new one.

I saw them last summer with Bryan Adams too. DL opened the show and BA closed - I think the tour alternated every night with who was closing. While I love DL and had a ton of fun at the show BA really was awesome. In fact the people I went with all enjoyed BA much more than DL. I thought DL sounded pretty good when I was there but then I bought a bootleg CD of that show and Oh God I cannot even make it throught the first few songs Joe Elliot sounds awful. He sounded much better when I was there rocking out front row. It was general admission and very cool to be on the baseball field. Still depsite the bad sounding CD I would go see them again. They are a band who just have so many great songs it is hard to leave a show disappointed. I love Vivian Campbell and Sav and some of my favorite songs are: Women (probably my all time #1 Lep song), Action, Hysteria, Armageddon It, and of course Love Bites!

Dave 1986 02-08-2006 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eriK
Sounds great. Hopefull it will be a rock album not a pop album such as X.

Yeah, I agree, although I didn't completely dislike X. My favourite tracks from that album were Now, Long Long Way To Go and Gravity.

I don't really know what I want from their next album. Obviously a hard rock album, but specifically I suppose something in the vein of Slang mixed with Euphoria, but then again, it would be great to see them reinvent themselves with a modern hard rock sound yet still maintain the classic Leppard sound.

Although like I've said before, I think a brand new live DVD would be awesome.

eriK 02-08-2006 10:42 PM

I have never seen DL live. I would give my right knee for that.

RichieW2001 02-08-2006 11:05 PM

Quote:

I have never seen DL live. I would give my right knee for that.

or your left arm?

eriK 02-08-2006 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichieW2001
or your left arm?

Nope. Just my right knee. :D

RichieW2001 02-08-2006 11:35 PM

Quote:

Nope. Just my right knee. :D

i'm fairly sure they're in greater need of a left arm.....

SamboraQueen21 02-08-2006 11:38 PM

Quote:

Clever!! :D Frieken brilliant!

eriK 02-09-2006 09:40 AM

Quote:

LOL!!! Didn't see that coming!! :D

UKjovi 02-09-2006 02:43 PM

I recently got the best of album and its great. always liked them but never got into them . wouldnt mind seeing them live :)

aph01 02-09-2006 05:49 PM

I love DL, my second favorite band. Promises and Stand Up are my favorite DL at the minute. Im a fan of most of their albums apart from Slang. Cant believe in 25 years they havent released a live album. DL are not that popular over here in britain for some reason though. Are they big in the states these days? What sort of audieneces would they attract in the states?