Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Bells Of Freedom and its religious message. (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=43378)

TheseDays2005 11-09-2007 03:45 AM

Bells Of Freedom and its religious message.

This must be the most religious song by BJ. But something is bugging me with it.
Its clearly lots of references (the title being one) for freedom and that it's goes directly with the church.
Besides BJ being totally hypocrites here, as church and freedom never went well togheter, more the opposite.
Next to that I believe a band as BJ shouldn't be so open for any particular religion. Sure they can refer to religion as in general, but not in specific.
Nowadays its like talking open about political preferences way back in time. A wrong message.

And I'm sure Jon isn't as dumb as Bush (Mr 100x referering to almighty God when talking about war in Iraq & Terror)

Crushgen24/88 11-09-2007 03:56 AM

Um, WelcomeTo Wherever You Are is more religious IMO.
I never thought Bells sounde all that religious to me.
Isn't it a riff on an old Dylan song?

I'm not religious AT ALL BTW.

Kathleen 11-09-2007 04:04 AM

I never saw Bells of Freedom as religious either - and yes it's a take on Dylan's Chimes of Freedom. I suppose that song could be taken as religious also by some people but not by me.

TheseDays2005 11-09-2007 04:13 AM

uuuh churchbells to start the song --? (church)Bells of freedom.
Wich bells do you think they were?

Next to that, they seen that for the ones that went through fields of dirt, been in the dark and went up the step of the church and are believing (the others not and (in what religion? duh) that the suns still shines.

(other people can soddoff, ie people that don't work with dirt, are afraid of the dark, don't go to the church and don't believe)

Wrath Mania 11-09-2007 04:40 AM

I don't think it's that religious. Bells in America is more of a symbol of 'liberty' than religion, I think that's what Jovi was going for. I agree Welcome is a far more religious song. What I like about BoF is that it can be interpreted as patriotic without explicitly being so, much like Undivided. Bon Jovi never takes the nauseating Mellencamp root.

The most 'spiritual', or at least philosophical Jovi song is easily and by far STBI.

TheseDays2005 11-09-2007 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wrath Mania (Post 782921)
I don't think it's that religious. Bells in America is more of a symbol of 'liberty' than religion, I think that's what Jovi was going for.

aah yeah if that's the case then probs it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wrath Mania (Post 782921)
The most 'spiritual', or at least philosophical Jovi song is easily and by far STBI.

spiritual yes, I never thought that song had much to do with religion, if any than it was that is was away

Becky 11-09-2007 05:07 AM

I think that, as songwriters, they can write what they feel moved to write. If it's religious in nature, they have the artistic right to go with it. To say that they shouldn't write a religious song because of the message is just another form of censorship.

billythekid 11-09-2007 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheseDays2005 (Post 782909)
This must be the most religious song by BJ. But something is bugging me with it.
Its clearly lots of references (the title being one) for freedom and that it's goes directly with the church.
Besides BJ being totally hypocrites here, as church and freedom never went well togheter, more the opposite.
Next to that I believe a band as BJ shouldn't be so open for any particular religion. Sure they can refer to religion as in general, but not in specific.
Nowadays its like talking open about political preferences way back in time. A wrong message.

And I'm sure Jon isn't as dumb as Bush (Mr 100x referering to almighty God when talking about war in Iraq & Terror)

its about the black freedom fighters in 60's america

Butters 11-09-2007 11:26 AM

Yeah, I don't see any religious message to the song either. Welcome To Wherever You Are on the other hand......nauseating.

Myguitar 11-09-2007 03:18 PM

I don't see that BOF has religious undertones but...
What if it does? Why would that be bad?

They always write songs about their lives so if faith is a part of it then they should write about that too... and you don't like it then you might be a little closed minded. Faith in popular music is everywhere, especially in the Country genre so you might actually see more of that from BJ.

Jon says he's not religious but he says he is spiritual... Meaning he believes in God but doesn't follow any specific religious institution. David is Jewish and the rest are catholic... i think. If they want to sing about their beliefs then they should.

As far as bells=church.... that's not true at all. We have towers with so-called Liberty Bells everywhere across the USA and not all of them are associated with churches.