Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Other Bands (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Goo Goo Dolls (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=37548)

RyanBounce04 10-25-2006 08:29 AM

Goo Goo Dolls

I'm really starting to fall in love with this band. I've had Gutterflower, Dizzy Up The Girl, and Let Love In since they came out and now I've purchased A Boy Named Goo and Superstar Car Wash. There's really something about this band that's catching my eye. I've really really enjoyed listening to their albums, but right now I've just been addicted to the song "Let Love In". I think the lyrics describe the situation with the girlfriend. It just fits so well. There's something about it that moves me. It's the same way with Stay With You and Can't Let It Go. I cannot stop listening to them. Anyone else in love with these songs???? What do you guys think of them??

Ryan

Mr Bluesman 10-25-2006 11:00 AM

From Let Love In I can only say there are a couple of good songs - Can't Let It Go and Stay With You. I was disappointed with the album. Anyway, other favourites from their catalogue are String of Lies, We Are The Normal, Long Way Down, Naked, Name, All Eyes On Me, Big Machine... there's quite a few. Saw them for the first time this year in Manchester, it was a pretty small gig but they blew me away. Superb.

Emil 10-25-2006 12:14 PM

IMO they only have one really good album, Dizzy Up The Girl. That´s it. A couple of good songs from the other albums, such as Naked, Cuz You´re Gone, Big Machine and Here Is Gone.. Let Love In is a disaster. It´s only Stay With You and Better Days that I would even consider listening to.
I think they´re a bit boring, with a rather plain sound.

Captain_jovi 10-25-2006 02:03 PM

I LOVE the title track, Let Love in as well.

ShaSha 10-25-2006 02:59 PM

LOVE them, but I can't say I'm a huge fan of this album. Overall it just seems kind of slow to me and nothing about it has really grabbed me the way their other albums have. I do love Stay With You, though.
Superstar Carwash and and Boy Named Goo are definitely my favorite albums of theirs, but Dizzy and Gutterflower are great too.

I'm going to see them two nights in a row in December and I'm hoping they play more older songs than they have been.. (wishful thinking)

Becky 10-25-2006 03:33 PM

I liked them until I saw them live opening for Bon Jovi. They sucked so badly I haven't even listened to one of their CDs since and I turn the station when they're played on the radio. It was really disappointing because I was looking forward to seeing them very much. :(

Kathleen 10-25-2006 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky (Post 700413)
I liked them until I saw them live opening for Bon Jovi. They sucked so badly I haven't even listened to one of their CDs since and I turn the station when they're played on the radio. It was really disappointing because I was looking forward to seeing them very much. :(

That is almost a direct quote of what I said in a different post in this forum. I was a big fan - until I saw them live. Since the Bounce tour - where I saw them open far too many times LOL - I have hardly listened to them at all. I was very excited when I heard they were the opening act but they did not live up to my expectations.

Kathleen

spunkywho 10-25-2006 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyanBounce04 (Post 700374)
but right now I've just been addicted to the song "Let Love In".

My son sings it all day long....

Time for him to listen to more Muse ;) .....

Interesting about the disappointment in seeing them live. I am a casual Goo fan - like the older stuff, but there is no album I'd class 'fantastic'. Individual songs, yes, but no entire album. The new album took a long time to grow on me.

Yet, I find them live to be absolutely fantastic!!!!

I saw them opening for BJ and it was just ok. Too big a venue and the audience wasn't much 'into' the goo goo dolls (most hadn't even heard of them). I saw them again in a smaller outside venue this summer and totally totally loved them. Went with my son who is now a self-proclaimed Goo Goo Doll fan. (among so many others ... lol).

JonGirl 10-25-2006 06:08 PM

Quote:

Count me in with this one too. I was really looking forward to seeing them open for Bon Jovi in Minneapolis and was listening to their music like crazy up until the show but they sucked BIG TIME and that was it for me. They were very obviously drunk or high, forgetting the words to almost every song and then just said f*ck it and walked off 3/4 of the way through the last song (Iris) after messing up on it. VERY unprofessional.

allmike 10-25-2006 07:16 PM

I love Dizzy Up The Girl... keep reminding me old time.... Didn't like anything else after that.. well i didn't hear much...

*-- Vallie --* 10-25-2006 07:28 PM

I loooooooooove the Goo goo dolls!
Would like to see them live once ... Guess they won't come to Belgium though if they tour :(

Mr Bluesman 10-25-2006 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spunkywho (Post 700427)
Yet, I find them live to be absolutely fantastic!!!!

Hear, hear. I can't imagine they'd suit a bigger venue.

RyanBounce04 10-26-2006 01:21 AM

I could see them being a really good live band after having listened to Live In Buffalo. I think they sound fantastic!

Ryan

ShaSha 10-26-2006 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyanBounce04 (Post 700581)
I could see them being a really good live band after having listened to Live In Buffalo. I think they sound fantastic!

Yes! I was at that show - so incredible. Have you seen the DVD? If not I totally recommend it. Iris is on youtube () and there might be a few more clips from it on there.

I don't know if it's fair to judge them by their performances on the Bounce tour. They weren't BAD any of the times I saw them with Bon Jovi, but I prefer them on their own. I feel like, to a certain extent, they're a band that feeds on the audience, so if the crowd isn't really into it (which is more likely as an opening act vs. a full Goo Goo Dolls show) it will reflect in their performance.
Also, as others have said, they're a better small-venue band. I've seen them at Giants Stadium and I've seen them in a theatre with a few hundred people and there definitely is a difference.

yomamasofat 10-26-2006 03:18 AM

I love them. I saw them opening for BJ and they were the best opening band I've ever seen (besides Iced Earth). I'm surprised that many here don't like them... I wonder if you guys saw Eve 6 opened for BJ. Eve 6 = horrible. Oh yeah that local band that opened during Crossroad to the East tour, that is the pinnacle of all atrocity.

RyanBounce04 10-26-2006 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yomamasofat (Post 700596)
I love them. I saw them opening for BJ and they were the best opening band I've ever seen (besides Iced Earth). I'm surprised that many here don't like them... I wonder if you guys saw Eve 6 opened for BJ. Eve 6 = horrible. Oh yeah that local band that opened during Crossroad to the East tour, that is the pinnacle of all atrocity.

Did you see the opening band when BJ came here??? :D

Ryan

Kathleen 10-26-2006 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaSha (Post 700593)
Yes! I was at that show - so incredible. Have you seen the DVD? If not I totally recommend it. Iris is on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnNbzf-qoYA) and there might be a few more clips from it on there.

This is incredible - it could almost convince me to give them another try.

Kathleen

bjcrazycpa 10-26-2006 03:55 AM

I was also at that Goo Buffalo show or as I like to call it the MONSOON show, lol! There was equipment floating away by the time it was over. Also, Tony Bongiovi directed the DVD. I think the Goos are good live but Sarah is right, if John is the least bit "not in the mood" or the crowd is crap then the show will be crap. He doesn't try to win anyone over and at times it does seem he just plain doesn't want to be on stage.

That said, I have a soft spot for the Goos and JR as he invited me and my 2friends to join him at his table and bought us drinks back in May of 2003.

deb

ShaSha 10-26-2006 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathleen (Post 700601)
This is incredible - it could almost convince me to give them another try.

There are still some tickets left for their show at the Hammerstein Ballroom on December 3rd. ;) I'll be there for sure.

spunkywho 10-26-2006 04:49 AM

Quote:

They sucked so badly I haven't even listened to one of their CDs since and I turn the station when they're played on the radio.(

I have to, have to, have to ask this even though you'll get really annoyed with me:

You stopped liking songs you really loved soley because you didn't like the bands live performance?

Mr Bluesman 10-26-2006 10:53 AM

Iris is one of those songs you HAVE to hear live. This is them when I saw them in Manchester, even such a small and seemingly insignificant gig had so much energy:

VanJovi 10-26-2006 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Bluesman (Post 700642)
Iris is one of those songs you HAVE to hear live. This is them when I saw them in Manchester, even such a small and seemingly insignificant gig had so much energy:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GJq0r47bew

Totally agree. I saw them a few weeks ago in Shepherds Bush here in London and God, when they played Iris the crowd went Wild. It was superb.

Back to the original post...I very very much like them, mainly because they are great live. I saw them a few times when they opened for BJ and got totally hooked. I can't really say I love every single song though. I don't know why their shows have been so short while they were here a few weeks ago but apparently they will be back in Febraury and if I don't have any problems, I'll be seeing them again, no doubts about it.

yomamasofat 10-27-2006 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyanBounce04 (Post 700597)
Did you see the opening band when BJ came here??? :D

Ryan

Yes they were better than Eve 6 but not on GGD's level.

Becky 10-27-2006 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spunkywho (Post 700616)
I have to, have to, have to ask this even though you'll get really annoyed with me:

You stopped liking songs you really loved soley because you didn't like the bands live performance?

I'm not annoyed with you.

I was SO disappointed by something I was looking forward to SO much that hearing them just reminds me of how disappointed I was. And, really, do I need to be reminded of the disappointments in my life? LOL I lost respect for them and really haven't had the heart to give them another try. None of their songs were songs that shook me to my soul anyway.