Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   TV & Movies (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Star Wars (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=40633)

Peterson 07-28-2007 02:40 PM

Cool, thanks mate, guess i'll just wait for that then ;)

SmirkSteve 08-09-2007 12:08 AM

This year, beig the 30th Anniversary, would have been an awesome time to release all 6, but I too have heard George talk off releasing 3D versions. That said, seems like they are concentrating on the Clone Wars CGI series and the live action series for the forseeable future. They showed a new trailer for the CGI series at Celebration Europe - looks awesome.

Dave 1986 11-08-2015 05:58 PM

Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens

Star Wars Episode VII - The Force Awakens is now only a matter of weeks away and I can't believe how quiet the fans here have been! So I'm gonna round up all the hype for everyone...

First off, I am freakin' pumped for The Force Awakens! Back in 2012 when Disney bought Lucasfilm and announced more Star Wars movies being made, I was sceptical. Also I thought, do I really want more Star Wars films? But as time went on and we gradually got fed teaspoons on information about VII (JJ Abrams directing, more focus on practical effect/real locations, etc) and to having all the trailers out before the film hits cinemas, I could not be more confident and excited.

Now I'm an original trilogy fan. I never really cared for the prequels. I tried to appreciate them over the years but my opinions of all 3 of them (they differ from each other) have remained the same. Revenge of the Sith was decent, The Phantom Menace I have some nostalgic feelings toward which redeems it for me a bit, and Attack of the Clones was just a crock o' shit. I understand a lot of people like the prequels, possibly more than the original trilogy which is cool. People like what they like which is fair enough.

But The Force Awakens seems to be (from what little we've seen) having a similar feel to the original trilogy whilst injecting something new into the proceedings.

I hope it's at least a good movie, even if it doesn't live up to the hype (and yes, I'm baring in mind all the hype leading up to Episode I back in 1999). If it tanks, then well so what, I'll just stick to what I like.

What's everyone else's take on the future of Star Wars?

Nige 11-09-2015 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave 1986 (Post 1197472)
What's everyone else's take on the future of Star Wars?

I'm very excited about it right now; the trailers look brilliant and JJ Abrams has a proven track record and flair for this kind of subject. Plus Han, Leia and Luke (apparently) are all back! :D

So I'm cautiously optimistic; I'm not expecting to be amazed but I can't help but feel it's going to be better than Episodes 1 to 3.

Dave 1986 11-09-2015 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nige (Post 1197494)
Plus Han, Leia and Luke (apparently) are all back! :D

Yea Luke not featuring on the poster, let alone the trailer is bizarre. Mark Hamill IS in it, and his voice is heard over the 2nd teaser. Weird.

Dave 1986 12-01-2015 10:03 PM

Got the Odeon booked for the 23rd and will do my best and avoid the Internet for the 6 days before hand.

kenobi_on_a_prayer 12-02-2015 05:21 AM

I grew up with the prequels and love them as much as the original trilogy. Can't wait for The Force Awakens.

Nige 12-02-2015 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave 1986 (Post 1197770)
Got the Odeon booked for the 23rd and will do my best and avoid the Internet for the 6 days before hand.

Same here for the 21st! Can't wait :D

Captain Walrus 12-03-2015 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nige (Post 1197776)
Same here for the 21st! Can't wait :D

19th for me, so close now! :p

Dave 1986 12-03-2015 10:18 PM

Star Wars

3 year wait has now turned into 3 weeks!

Oh and not a single word from either of you until the 23rd!![emoji12]

samboraisgodUK 12-19-2015 03:06 PM

Spoiler: It's awesome.

ezearis 12-19-2015 06:03 PM

I saw this one yesterday and I really liked it. It's similar to the original trilogy but in a good way! Can't wait for Episode VIII nor to see this one again.

Dave 1986 12-20-2015 01:49 PM

Episode VIII is only a year and a half away, plus this time next year we'll have Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. But I can't think beyond The Force Awakens right now.

samboraisgodUK 12-20-2015 06:55 PM

Just seen it for the second time (yes I'm that sad) - enjoyed it just as much as the first

Nige 12-20-2015 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samboraisgodUK (Post 1197977)
Just seen it for the second time (yes I'm that sad) - enjoyed it just as much as the first

If it helps we're definitely going to go see it again at the cinema too :D

Captain Walrus 12-20-2015 11:36 PM

It was excellent! Very impressed :p

kenobi_on_a_prayer 12-21-2015 10:38 AM

(Possible spoiler alert depending on how spoiler-phobic you are :P )
I loved it and will probably go see it again this week, but I also think people are overrating it for a movie that blatantly rips off the plot of Episode IV. However, the acting was great, and I loved Rey and Finn. Probably the funniest instalment of the franchise too.

golittleperson 12-22-2015 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenobi_on_a_prayer (Post 1197980)
(Possible spoiler alert depending on how spoiler-phobic you are :P )
I loved it and will probably go see it again this week, but I also think people are overrating it for a movie that blatantly rips off the plot of Episode IV. However, the acting was great, and I loved Rey and Finn. Probably the funniest instalment of the franchise too.

We went opening day and thought the same: It's A New Hope - Next Generation. Very well filmed and I really enjoyed it but for me not as great as I was expecting. Maybe my expectations were too high. Few other things but I'll save them til more people have had the chance to see it.

Dave 1986 12-26-2015 05:36 PM

I thought that as well. It was like a reimagining of the original. But I'd rather that than another Phantom Menace.

I thought it was much edgier and grittier than the previous 6 films. Some scenes in it I thought would never pass in any of the original trilogy. Really enjoyed it though. Not what I was expecting but very happy with what we got. Definitely need another screening.

Rdkopper 12-27-2015 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golittleperson (Post 1197988)
We went opening day and thought the same: It's A New Hope - Next Generation. Very well filmed and I really enjoyed it but for me not as great as I was expecting. Maybe my expectations were too high. Few other things but I'll save them til more people have had the chance to see it.

I agree with all this... I saw it 3 times now and you said it best.... Not as great as I was expecting... still an enjoyably film though..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

rolo_tomachi 12-27-2015 08:10 PM

Not bad. It is noted that this made with love, but there is little creativity in this episode, it's like watching Jurassic World, good show but the story told and cliches ruined a great opportunity to do something better. But I really liked the ending, and this makes perhaps, Episode VIII can be much better. Keeping the hope that his replacement, Rian Johnson (Looper) can make something great with Star Wars beyond the tribute by JJ Abrams.

Help us Rian Johnson, you're our only hope.
http://www.shewired.com/sites/shewir...5/05/Leia1.jpg

yomamasofat 01-12-2016 05:09 AM

Thoroughly not impressed with Episode 7.
I'll say it's better than Episode 2, and that's it.

Dave 1986 01-12-2016 10:37 AM

Star Wars

Sorry you didn't enjoy it. Still got two more Episodes (at least!) to possibly enjoy.

I thought it absolutely pissed over the prequels. The opening scene alone did that.

I will admit though, my second viewing wasn't as great an experience as the first even though I was dying to see it again. Aside from knowing the spoilers second time round, some scenes did drag a bit. Still loved the banter between the characters which was sorely missed from the prequels. I loved Han Solo in this one. Harrison Ford clearly had more fun with the role than say Return of the Jedi. My favourite line is still "...and that 'thing' can understand you, so watch it!"

Also, has anyone else heard that there's an online petition going on to get George Lucas to direct Episode IX?

rolo_tomachi 01-12-2016 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave 1986 (Post 1198341)
Sorry you didn't enjoy it. Still got two more Episodes (at least!) to possibly enjoy.

I thought it absolutely pissed over the prequels. The opening scene alone did that.

I will admit though, my second viewing wasn't as great an experience as the first even though I was dying to see it again. Aside from knowing the spoilers second time round, some scenes did drag a bit. Still loved the banter between the characters which was sorely missed from the prequels. I loved Han Solo in this one. Harrison Ford clearly had more fun with the role than say Return of the Jedi. My favourite line is still "...and that 'thing' can understand you, so watch it!"

Also, has anyone else heard that there's an online petition going on to get George Lucas to direct Episode IX?

I do not think it will happen, but I would like he to be involved in some way, as a creative consultant or perhaps as co-writer for the Episode IX.

steel_horse75 01-14-2016 06:21 PM

loved it. Seen it twice at the IMAX

Dave 1986 01-24-2016 02:22 PM

Episode VIII has been pushed back to December 15th, 2017.

rolo_tomachi 02-15-2016 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave 1986 (Post 1198525)
Episode VIII has been pushed back to December 15th, 2017.

Teaser filming

Dave 1986 03-10-2016 10:02 PM

The Force Awakens is out on Blu Ray April 6th.

alice 03-13-2016 07:38 AM

They just recording Episode VIII in my town

Dave 1986 04-05-2016 06:07 PM

Erik Bauersfeld, the voice of Admiral Ackbar in Episodes VI and VII has passed away, aged 93. [emoji853]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-35965835

Dave 1986 04-20-2016 11:15 PM

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Rogue One teaser and trailer.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ory_poster.png

Dave 1986 03-02-2017 06:02 PM

Star Wars: Episode VIII – The Last Jedi

Star Wars Episode VIII has a title...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._Last_Jedi.jpg

(Yes I know this is quite old news)

Nige 04-14-2017 06:58 PM

Dave 1986 04-14-2017 07:05 PM

Literally just watched it as you posted. Excited obviously but we haven't really been off the Star Wars ride for a while as we've just had The Force Awakens and Rogue One (The latter of which I shall be watching on Blu Ray this evening).

Also we're getting the Han Solo spin-off/anthology film May 2018.

Dave 1986 02-10-2018 03:13 PM

Solo: A Star Wars Story

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ory_poster.jpg

Dave 1986 04-12-2019 10:13 PM

Star Wars: Episode IX – The Rise of Skywalker

Star Wars: Episode IX – The Rise of Skywalker

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ker_poster.jpg

rolo_tomachi 05-09-2019 08:51 PM

Fan scene Reimagined Star Wars EPIV duel Vader vs Obi Wan

It's pretty cool.

Dave 1986 05-09-2019 09:03 PM

Saw that earlier. Pretty amazing! Imagine how that scene would have gone down if that was in the actual film back in 1977?!

If you’re into fan edits, I would recommend “Star Wars Revisited”. They basically improve and touch up the original trilogy. Episodes IV and V are done and VI is in the works.

https://swrevisited.wordpress.com

rolo_tomachi 05-09-2019 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave 1986 (Post 1252766)
Saw that earlier. Pretty amazing! Imagine how that scene would have gone down if that was in the actual film back in 1977?!

If you’re into fan edits, I would recommend “Star Wars Revisited”. They basically improve and touch up the original trilogy. Episodes IV and V are done and VI is in the works.

https://swrevisited.wordpress.com

Interesting. I have the editions of Harmy despecialized for some years. But it's not a 1080p, and sometimes you notice the different quality sources.

I hope that some day they launch the classic cut without adulterated.

Dave 1986 05-10-2019 12:02 AM

Star Wars

The Despecialized Editions are superb. You need to get the current HD versions if you’ve not seen them yet. They’re 720p but they’re stunning. All sources used for the current versions are from HD sources now since 35mm scans have be used in place of SD footage in previous versions, such as the removal of “Jedi Rocks” and replacing it with the original version of Return of the Jedi. It can still be a bit jarring especially when you know when the different sources are coming and know where they’re sourced from. They’ve been my go-to versions of the original trilogy in recent years. I can’t be bothered with the official Blu Rays anymore.

There are also 4K restorations of the OT scanned from original negatives out there now but I’m yet to upgrade to 4K myself so I haven’t seen them yet.