Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Other Bands (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Cheap Trick (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=68560)

Johny 05-31-2014 07:32 PM

Cheap Trick

Since Bon Jovi pretty much suck lately I listen to other bands. One of them is Cheap Trick. It never stops to amaze me how many great bands are around and I don't know them :)

This band is a strange collection of people. The guitarist Rick Nielsen, even in the heyday of rock music he wore a baseball cap and short hair, he still plays crazy guitars (eg a five neck guitar or Uncle Dick). I adore the singer, Robin Zander, for his ability to play with his voice. He can sing punk or metal with an interesting rasp in his voice, then he sings a ballad the way that girls want to throw their bras onstage :) The bass guitarist is the first one to play a 12 string bass. And finally the drummer is again someone who you wouldn't guess to be a musician in the 1970 and 80s. He is now replaced with Nielsen's son.

It's time to stop talking and listen to some music.

I Want You To Want Me
The song that made them famous. Actually its live version from Budokan 1978. Given the beat you wouldn't expect a slow song.

If You Want My Love
This is a less known version, released ten years ago. I've known this version for ages but I didn't dig further to discover the band. This is my fav song. It's a Beatles ripoff but still, I just love it. I admire Robin for carrying the vocals alone during live shows.

The Flame
Typical 1980s ballad, It's written by an outside writer to revive their career. They hated the song simple for not being theirs. However it became a huge hit. Here you can hear the brilliance of Robin, the way he plays with his voice, changes to falsetto etc.

Tonight It's You
I love the chorus, it has energy.

She's Tight
Example of their almost punk music and whole new layer of Robin's voice.

Can't Stop Falling In Love
This reminds me of The Boss.

Surrender

I can add some more videos later, for example live shows etc. Is there anyone elso who loves this band?

ezearis 05-31-2014 07:41 PM

The Flame is one of my favourite ballads ever. A classic.

Becky 05-31-2014 08:37 PM

Cheap Trick are a very talented band. I've always wanted to see them live, but never got the chance.

The Flame is my favorite song from an artist other than Bon Jovi or Keith Urban. Every time I hear it, my heart melts just a little bit.

dcj28 05-31-2014 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky (Post 1177343)
Cheap Trick are a very talented band. I've always wanted to see them live, but never got the chance.

The Flame is my favorite song from an artist other than Bon Jovi or Keith Urban. Every time I hear it, my heart melts just a little bit.

Showing my age now but I saw CT support Motley Crue in 1985. Sure there's a story in The Dirt about Nikki Sixx pissing on Rick Nielsen in a restaurant on that tour.

Johny 05-31-2014 10:44 PM

I'm so glad there are people loving them!

I'm now trying to find a video release called Silver. I have the audio but I'd love to have the dvd. Unfortunately it is very expensive on ebay and nowhere to find online. It was their anniversary concert.

I'd love to see them live.

Keep on bringing your stories! I so regret not being alive when such amazing bands were in their heyday.

JoviJovi 06-01-2014 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky (Post 1177343)

The Flame is an awesome song. Cheap Trick is a completely underrated band imo.

life_of_agony 06-01-2014 03:27 PM

Probably one of my top 10 favourite bands of all time, or very close to.
Amazing pop/rock band, no-one really does it better. They have continued to put out quality records as well, their last couple "Rockford" and "The Latest" were amazing records. Love 'em.

brighton84 06-01-2014 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcj28 (Post 1177345)
Showing my age now but I saw CT support Motley Crue in 1985. Sure there's a story in The Dirt about Nikki Sixx pissing on Rick Nielsen in a restaurant on that tour.

I saw that tour in Manchester,Rick Neilsen was/is still very entertaining.

Cheap Trick have just signed up to play the Pre Party on the KISS Kruise,im looking forward to seeing them again,its been to long.