Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   NBJ - Everything Else (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Why is Tupac in the RNRHOF? (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70278)

Cap Crash 03-31-2018 11:22 AM

Why is Tupac in the RNRHOF?

Hip Hop is a total different genre. Even at its earliest form, it doesn't even use instruments. All the artists do was just rap accompanied with beats,. Yeah I understand Tupac's impact on other rappers but again Hip Hop is not Rock. Rock is not Hip Hop too. It's just total bullshit for me.

Just like what KISS's Gene Simmons said, "You go to Apple Music, and you go to different genres and you type in 'rock,' you're not gonna find a single rap band in that category. Likewise, if you look at hip hop or rap, you're not gonna see AC/DC or KISS in the list in there."

Walleris 03-31-2018 12:29 PM

My three, rather obvious, cents:

1) Because he was a 'rock star'
2) Because hip hop doesn't have its own HOF
3) Because R&R HOF is a business. Much like Madonna, and other non-rock acts that were inducted he is a huge name that attracts attention, ticket sales, television ratings and museum attendance.

DavetheGodofKeys 03-31-2018 12:30 PM

I also don't like that they're inducting artists that are not Rock N Roll but Tupac is probably inducted because he was one of the most influential artists of all time.

Cap Crash 03-31-2018 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleris (Post 1237540)
My three, rather obvious, cents:

1) Because he was a 'rock star'
2) Because hip hop doesn't have its own HOF
3) Because R&R HOF is a business. Much like Madonna, and other non-rock acts that were inducted he is a huge name that attracts attention, ticket sales, television ratings and museum attendance.

Lived the life of a 'rock star' actually

Cap Crash 03-31-2018 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavetheGodofKeys (Post 1237541)
I also don't like that they're inducting artists that are not Rock N Roll but Tupac is probably inducted because he was one of the most influential artists of all time.

Pop artists were and will be inducted too. I just feel bad for other rock bands out there who really deserve to be at the RNRHOF.

Becky 03-31-2018 01:22 PM

They have to be politically correct and “inclusive.” So why isn’t there more representation from country? I know the have their own HOF, but Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson should be in there ( if they are not) because they were as rock and roll as any rapper ever has been. Kenny Rogers consistently had pop crossover hits about 40 years ago. Hank Williams will forever be considered one of the best writers. Hank, Jr., comparatively speaking, if things were measured in the 80’s as they were in the 90’s, was more successful than Garth Brooks who is one of the best selling artists of all time. Loretta Lynn? She was writing about domestic abuse and birth control when it was taboo and outlandish to cover such subjects in songs. Maybe some of those artists are in, but if not they should be nominated for the same justification that is used to vote in other clearly not “rock” artists.

Cap Crash 04-01-2018 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky (Post 1237545)
Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson should be in there ( if they are not) because they were as rock and roll as any rapper ever has been.

This is why people don't care on their inductions. Because it's pure POLITICS. And Bon Jovi is one example. I mean, Jon and the gang have done more in the RNR scene than these "HOF'ers" they've inducted. And I won't even mention the other bands and artists that have great contributions to the scene as well.

Bleeding Purist 04-03-2018 08:58 AM

Gene's argument sounds like Grampa at the kitchen table tackling a subject that has evolved and left him behind. This is what grumbling about "that noise they are calling music" sounds like when you don't understand it anymore.

Rock has evolved since the early days when white people appropriated it from black people, making it mainstream. The definition of what is considered Rock is fairly broad, with crossover into Country. Whatever a faction may argue against another faction being rock or not, factually: Rock doesn't stop being rock across its various genres.

You can't argue for more inclusion of Country as a response to Rap being included when Country already has a well served and established institution. That is exactly like saying, "Well, if you're going to have this black guy in, then you gotta let more of these white folks in that were already getting in and have another corner of the world they are in, also." Yes, perhaps Rap should have its own Hall of Fame, but like Country, Rap shares roots with and has plenty of crossover with Rock and will have one foot there and one foot outside it until that day comes.

Supersonic 04-04-2018 07:53 AM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavetheGodofKeys (Post 1237541)

Exactly what is rock & roll about Bon Jovi nowadays?

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

DavetheGodofKeys 04-04-2018 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1237775)
Aloha !

Exactly what is rock & roll about Bon Jovi nowadays?

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Well,not a lot of things but I'll say the U2 influenced guitars.