Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Other Bands (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The Official Train Thread (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=52559)

kenobi_on_a_prayer 02-03-2011 06:10 PM

The Official Train Thread

I don't think there's been an "official" thread for Train yet so here it is.

I rediscovered my love for Train last year, saw them live at At Evening on the Green last night, and have fallen in love all over again.

Anyone else like these guys?

If you're not sure who they are...

Meet Virginia:
Drops of Jupiter: (you know this one, right?)

Calling All Angels:
Cab:
Hey, Soul Sister: (This has now overtaken Drops of Jupiter as their biggest song)

Thought this Ramble On/Take a Walk on the Wild Side/Whole Lotta Love medley was pretty cool too:

yomamasofat 02-04-2011 08:12 AM

Calling All Angels is a horrible song! I cringe everytime I hear the chorus.

Hey Soul Sister, however, is an extremely catchy song. Good thing they had the chance to release that instead of being banished to obscurity after the abomination that is Calling All Angels.

Javier 02-04-2011 03:19 PM

I absolutely love Train, ever since I first heard 'Drops of Jupiter' a billion years ago, but I really became a fan when I saw them live. It was a last minute decision that we took in our trip, but I'm so glad I did. And that singer, Oh my God, you know a singer is really good when he can put his mic aside and his voice can still fill the entire theater giving you goosebumps inside your very core:

Amazing.....

kenobi_on_a_prayer 02-04-2011 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javier (Post 1037191)
I absolutely love Train, ever since I first heard 'Drops of Jupiter' a billion years ago, but I really became a fan when I saw them live. It was a last minute decision that we took in our trip, but I'm so glad I did. And that singer, Oh my God, you know a singer is really good when he can put his mic aside and his voice can still fill the entire theater giving you goosebumps inside your very core:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWjKNaIhKs8

Amazing.....

I'm pretty much in love with Pat.;) I just saw them live for the first time; nearly everyone at the show was there to see INXS, but from what I've heard, Train won a lot of people over.

Jim Bon Jovi 02-07-2011 07:14 PM

Train reminds me of hanging out in my first serious girlfriends place listening to their 1st album.

JBJ's random trivia: Drops of Jupiter has without a doubt my favourite sounding snare drum ever put on record.

Irishshin 02-07-2011 08:32 PM

I fell in love with Train last year after hearing Hey Soul Sister.
Missed them when they toured in Ireland last year and really regret that. So hoping they come back next year.

I absolutly adore If Its Love from the new album

Miracle 02-13-2011 02:11 PM

I had a friend tell me about their latest album and I'm glad he did because it was definitely one of my most played albums last year. I'd love to see them live; I know they toured in support of John Mayer last summer in North America.

kenobi_on_a_prayer 02-14-2011 02:59 AM

They just won a Grammy for Hey Soul Sister. :)

jonahmerchant12 02-14-2011 11:56 AM

soul sister

to tell the truth, i did not like Train after "soul sister". fine the song was good but it gt so monotonous that i have stopped listening to it. i hope the band brings better songs in the future.

kenobi_on_a_prayer 02-16-2011 09:40 AM

There have been other singles from Save Me, San Francisco besides Hey, Soul Sister.

If It's Love:
Marry Me:
and Save Me San Francisco is a radio single. :)

Panda 02-16-2011 10:49 AM

Didn't they open for Bon Jovi once?

kenobi_on_a_prayer 02-16-2011 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bang A Drum (Post 1039354)
Didn't they open for Bon Jovi once?

Yeah, at Meadowlands IIRC.

Miracle 02-21-2011 02:02 AM

I adore Save Me, San Francisco. It's definitely one of my favourite tracks off the album. Have you heard their cover of Umbrella?

kenobi_on_a_prayer 02-21-2011 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miracle (Post 1040332)
I adore Save Me, San Francisco. It's definitely one of my favourite tracks off the album. Have you heard their cover of Umbrella?

Yeah.:) I always hated that song but I actually kind of like Train's version, haha.

Save Me, San Francisco had gotten a shitload of airplay on the stations presenting the INXS/Train concerts, so it was a lot of fun to have everyone sing along to it. I love the song too.

JerseyboyUK 02-21-2011 10:29 PM

I've been a fan since the first album, and I love and hate Train in equal measure.

'Drops Of Jupiter' is great all-round album, but 'For Me, It's You' takes the prize. Massively underrated and underplayed by the band, it's got all the pop hooks of the later stuff, and the soul and honesty of the first two albums. Brilliant.

I ****ing hate 'Save Me San Francisco'. It's horrible. Produced and polished to within an inch of it's life, it sounds like a X-Factor finalist album. Bland. I know these are more 'production' points, but the songs themselves too are so poor when compared in total to any of their previous work. It's REO Speedwagon for the modern generation, lyrics and arrangements that make me cringe. It's not even 'AOR by numbers', its safer than that. Nothing like the quality that i know they are capable of.

(although, i will admit that 'Hey Soul Sister' is a fantastic pop single.)

I saw them live for the first time last year and it was such a let down. Yeah, Pat's voice is great and he's really likeable. But have you ever been to a gig and thought '****ing hell, they've played all the songs i hate?'. Welcome to my world. A setlist that concentrated enormously on the sub-standard new material, nothing from 'FM,IY', and choice tracks from early days criminally overlooked. It just wasn't my night! :(

kenobi_on_a_prayer 02-22-2011 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerseyboyUK (Post 1040384)
I've been a fan since the first album, and I love and hate Train in equal measure.

'Drops Of Jupiter' is great all-round album, but 'For Me, It's You' takes the prize. Massively underrated and underplayed by the band, it's got all the pop hooks of the later stuff, and the soul and honesty of the first two albums. Brilliant.

I ****ing hate 'Save Me San Francisco'. It's horrible. Produced and polished to within an inch of it's life, it sounds like a X-Factor finalist album. Bland. I know these are more 'production' points, but the songs themselves too are so poor when compared in total to any of their previous work. It's REO Speedwagon for the modern generation, lyrics and arrangements that make me cringe. It's not even 'AOR by numbers', its safer than that. Nothing like the quality that i know they are capable of.

I saw them live for the first time last year and it was such a let down. Yeah, Pat's voice is great and he's really likeable. But have you ever been to a gig and thought '****ing hell, they've played all the songs i hate?'. Welcome to my world. A setlist that concentrated enormously on the sub-standard new material, nothing from 'FM,IY', and choice tracks from early days criminally overlooked. It just wasn't my night! :(

Yeah, it's not a good touring time for a SMSF hater...

I like For Me, It's You as well -- massively underrated as you said -- but the band seems to really distance itself from the album. I don't think they ever play anything from it besides Cab?:(

sammy645 02-22-2011 05:29 PM

Started to get into train recently. Drops Of Jupiter is the best i've heard.
I like My Private Nation also, some really cool songs on there.

samboraisgodUK 03-10-2011 07:05 PM

I saw them in Manchester in October last year. They were absolutely incredible. Pat Monahan has the best live voice i've ever heard. Was about 3 rows back and they put on one of the best live performances i've seen anybody do.

Very impressive - £12.50 well spent!

sammy645 03-11-2011 01:53 PM

I'm really starting to love Train! I have all their 5 albums, and their really good. My Private Nation is such a fun album, and For Me, Its You is very underrated. S/T album is also quite strong.

Anyone heard Pat Monahan's solo album? Its like a softer version of Train, quite good too.

kenobi_on_a_prayer 03-15-2011 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sammy645 (Post 1043323)
I'm really starting to love Train! I have all their 5 albums, and their really good. My Private Nation is such a fun album, and For Me, Its You is very underrated. S/T album is also quite strong.

Anyone heard Pat Monahan's solo album? Its like a softer version of Train, quite good too.

Yeah, I absolutely love Always Midnight and Two Ways to Say Goodbye from it.

C'monFeet 03-15-2011 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerseyboyUK (Post 1040384)

If you make two of those in your lifetime you've had a good career. Which Train have. But they're hardly a band you can believe in.