Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Destination Anywhere.. (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=48446)

steel_horse75 06-22-2009 02:06 PM

Destination Anywhere..

I have been listening to Destination Anywhere lately for the first time in nearly a decade. When I bought it I thought it was OK and haven’t really listened since. I’m not really a fan of solo albums.
When I first heard it I didn’t like the sound of the drums as they sounded more like electric drums and I thought there was far too many slow songs on the album.
Forward nearly 10 years and I still feel the same but the songs I liked back then I still do like a lot.

I was also wondering if any songs that didn’t get onto DA made the Crush album?

I think Queen of new Orleans, Janie take your love, Destination Anywhere, It’s Just me & August 7 could have all gone onto Crush to make it a far better album.

What the general thoughts of Destination Anywhere on these boards?

Becky 06-22-2009 05:32 PM

On first listen, I thought, "Huh?" but on second listen, I loved it. I think there's an integrity to Destination Anywhere that sometimes gets sacrificed with the machine of the hit-making goal of the band. Jon took risks and showed himself as a true artist. And, personally, I find the album refreshing even to this day. There are several songs that I think should have been hits even if they weren't written to be.

jess 06-22-2009 05:40 PM

Always loved DA and it's still one of my favourite albums. I love Jon's voice, the arrangement, the lyrics .... everything :)

steel_horse75 06-22-2009 05:41 PM

i think if you took half of crush and half of DA - you would have a mighty fine album!

Tictoc 06-22-2009 06:18 PM

Destination anymore is a real quality album, it has class about it. Beats Crush, Bounce hands down.

severo17 06-22-2009 06:21 PM

I like it really. A lot better than Crush, Bounce, Have A Nice Day, or Lost Highway... My favorite songs are "Every Word" and "Destination Anywhere". Just class...

Simon 06-22-2009 07:33 PM

Hmmm, to me Crush and DA sound too different to mix them... and I'm quite happy with both of them, so no need for that in my opinon.

I haven't been listening to DA a lot in the last time, but I was very keen on it when it came out. I prefer band albums, I naturally tend to irgnore solo albums a bit. But it certainly has class: "Queen Of New Orleans" is one of my favourite tracks in the whole (J)BJ ouevre. Other favourites are "Midnight In Chelsea", "Every Word" and "Little City". Every song is quite good. I like the overall atmosphere, and you can hear that this album was written more to make an atristical statement than to push it into the charts.

TheseDays2005 06-22-2009 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon (Post 927205)
Hmmm, to me Crush and DA sound too different to mix them...

I agree with that.

For that reason I think mixing up Crush/Bounce would've made 1 really decent album...

Panda 06-22-2009 08:43 PM

My favorite song on DA is Janie Dont Take your Love To Town.... Love his high voice...
Anyway, I think (correct me if I'm wrong) just older was written for DA and was performed during the DA tour, before crush was even made.

jbjrsdc 06-22-2009 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p34semm (Post 927167)

nope

Crush contains songs from Jon's never released 3rd solo album.

Johny 06-22-2009 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bang A Drum (Post 927225)
My favorite song on DA is Janie Dont Take your Love To Town.... Love his high voice...
Anyway, I think (correct me if I'm wrong) just older was written for DA and was performed during the DA tour, before crush was even made.

No. Just Older was written after DA, during the tour in Europe in 1998 and performed there. It was named only "Older". Another song that appeared on Crush's singles was Hush, which was also written and played in 1998. And many of the demos/b-sides for Crush are actually Jon's solo songs (along with some of the tracks on the boxset), because he was thinking about releasing new solo album after DA. That's the famous Sex Sells history.

Jennifer_Always 06-22-2009 08:53 PM

I love DA. I needed time to love it as I do today, years back I thought of this album it was too nice, too sweet. You know, I was more into the SWW era, wild things.

Now I enjoy each of its songs. Such songs like Cold Heart Hard and It's Just Me, I sometimes wonder how Jon can find these emotions which take over me. I mean, I feel really closed to the song, as if I were in it.
On Queen Of New Orleans and Little City for example, I love his voice.

Everything's good. There's actually no songs I skip on this album. But I do it on Crush and Bounce. I dont even listen to them, I just don't like them a lot. And if I love DA and don't like Crush, it has certainly a difference between them. So as Simon wrote, it wouldn't have been a good thing to mix them. That's only my point of view :)

Crush doesnt have these so deep feelings that DA has. Sometimes I wish Jon would record a new album solo, I would be curious how he would make it sound. As long as it wouldn't contained songs like She's A Mystery...

kenobi_on_a_prayer 06-22-2009 09:03 PM

Every Word and Staring At Your Window are probably right up there with my favourite "Bon Jovi" songs.

JKKDARK 06-22-2009 10:52 PM

This is my reaction to Destination Anywhere:

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...079766_695.jpg

Personally I don't find it enjoyable. I would put Lost Highway over this release.

TheseDays2005 06-22-2009 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKKDARK (Post 927271)
This is my reaction to Destination Anywhere:

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...079766_695.jpg

Personally I don't find it enjoyable. I would put Lost Highway over this release.

Personally, I would chose those bricks behind you over you.... They seem more enjoyable.

JKKDARK 06-22-2009 11:10 PM

lol

It's funny but I still have the album sealed in the original pastic. Just only for collection.

Goldsausage 06-22-2009 11:12 PM

Man, I did not know a creepy looking guy was a reaction to something. The crazy things they come up with in 2009.

But um...if it's in the original packaging then how do you know it's a shit album?

Oh and on subject, I must confess, there's only a few tracks on DA I love, the rest can all go to hell :)

Suojelusperkele 06-22-2009 11:45 PM

I think it's a very good album, miles and miles better than anything the band have released in the 21st century. It's a significant album for the fact that after the band's debut album, it's Jon's one and only album that doesn't have an obvious ballad (though there are no love songs on Blaze of Glory, Santa Fe has the musical structure of a typical over-the-top power ballad), and it's also the last time when Jon wrote good lyrics and the last time when he managed to write several songs for an album without outside help. It's maybe the relative financial flop of the album to blame for Crush being such an incredibly safe, Bon Jovi-by-number album, but Destination Anywhere is the real deal... The album is very down to earth and adult for a (Jon) Bon Jovi record, perhaps even risky and hip. Jon is definitely trying new things on the album, and though there are a few fillers on it, overall the album works well. And Queen of New Orleans may be the coolest song he ever did.

Crushgen24/88 06-23-2009 12:07 AM

I'm a fan of the record, and actually think it's better than Blaze. Midnight In Chelsea is one of the best tracks anyone involved with the band has ever done. Queen of New Orleans is great one as well. That being said, I'd never say the album is better than Crush. It really lulls at points through the middle of the record.

JKKDARK 06-23-2009 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldsausage (Post 927276)
But um...if it's in the original packaging then how do you know it's a shit album?

music videos, youtube, etc. I didn't listen all the tracks probably.

Kathleen 06-23-2009 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suojelusperkele (Post 927282)
I think it's a very good album, miles and miles better than anything the band have released in the 21st century. It's a significant album for the fact that after the band's debut album, it's Jon's one and only album that doesn't have an obvious ballad (though there are no love songs on Blaze of Glory, Santa Fe has the musical structure of a typical over-the-top power ballad), and it's also the last time when Jon wrote good lyrics and the last time when he managed to write several songs for an album without outside help. It's maybe the relative financial flop of the album to blame for Crush being such an incredibly safe, Bon Jovi-by-number album, but Destination Anywhere is the real deal... The album is very down to earth and adult for a (Jon) Bon Jovi record, perhaps even risky and hip. Jon is definitely trying new things on the album, and though there are a few fillers on it, overall the album works well. And Queen of New Orleans may be the coolest song he ever did.

I agree all the way around here. And your last sentence illustrates that they (or he) won't do stuff like this again. They just played the New Orleans JazzFest - if you have a song that's as good as Queen of New Orleans - why not play it there? That seems to be a no-brainer to me - but it didn't get played. :(

Crushgen24/88 06-23-2009 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathleen (Post 927294)
I agree all the way around here. And your last sentence illustrates that they (or he) won't do stuff like this again. They just played the New Orleans JazzFest - if you have a song that's as good as Queen of New Orleans - why not play it there? That seems to be a no-brainer to me - but it didn't get played. :(

The only thing about playing QONE in a band format is that it would have really opened up the whole band playing solo songs argument. Outside of Blaze (which most people think of as a band song anyway) and Stranger, non of the band members solo work has ever been a regular in the band's setlist.

Captain Walrus 06-23-2009 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p34semm (Post 927167)
I have been listening to Destination Anywhere lately for the first time in nearly a decade. When I bought it I thought it was OK and haven’t really listened since. I’m not really a fan of solo albums.
When I first heard it I didn’t like the sound of the drums as they sounded more like electric drums and I thought there was far too many slow songs on the album.
Forward nearly 10 years and I still feel the same but the songs I liked back then I still do like a lot.

I think Queen of new Orleans, Janie take your love, Destination Anywhere, It’s Just me & August 7 could have all gone onto Crush to make it a far better album.

What the general thoughts of Destination Anywhere on these boards?

I agree with you to an extent on some of the drum sounds, as much as I love It's Just Me, that mechanized drum sound drives me mad.

Otherwise, I agree with everyone who has said that DA is great for being an edgy, atmospheric, offbeat, risky and emotional album

Simon 06-23-2009 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crushgen24/88 (Post 927296)
Outside of Blaze (which most people think of as a band song anyway) and Stranger, non of the band members solo work has ever been a regular in the band's setlist.

And that's how it should be. Solo tour = solo songs. Band tour = band songs, those two exceptions excluded. But in my opinion they shouldn't have but BOG on CR. I remember Jon saying that he wanted "Stranger" on there as well, but there was the space problem and/or the record company was against it.

ugly_queen_from_mars 06-23-2009 04:25 AM

the album really grew on me over time. i didn't like it at first, i thought it was too poppy for bj standards (mine too) but then age has made me wiser and now i listen to it very often. :p
with the exception of certain KTF and TD songs, DA as a whole is the closest jon can get to "art" music. the rest is only rock n roll... but i like it! (well, at least past decades r'n'r)

Crushgen24/88 06-23-2009 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon (Post 927320)
And that's how it should be. Solo tour = solo songs. Band tour = band songs, those two exceptions excluded. .

Agreed 100%

steel_horse75 06-23-2009 09:33 AM

One of the songs i dislike the most is Midnight In Chelsea - it goes nowhere for me.

some good lyrics on DA and I think the title track is the best one.

Johny 06-23-2009 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon (Post 927320)
And that's how it should be. Solo tour = solo songs. Band tour = band songs, those two exceptions excluded. But in my opinion they shouldn't have but BOG on CR. I remember Jon saying that he wanted "Stranger" on there as well, but there was the space problem and/or the record company was against it.

Yes but remember that he said a bunch of songs which he would like to add. Stranger was one of them but Miracle was another. As far as I remember he mentioned also Born To Be My Baby, Living Sin saying that they were top ten hits. And I think he was speaking about Sleep When I'm Dead and about In These Arms with Never Say Goodbye (which actually were on the European releases)

San_jovi 06-23-2009 12:50 PM

Not a massive fan of the entire albmu, but there are a few cracking tracks, my fave being

"Aint no rainbow in the sky, when you feel U G L Y, and that's Ugly"

Brill XD

UKjovi 06-23-2009 01:55 PM

I didnt get this album untill a couple of years ago but loved it from first listen. Especialy the 2nd disc. The songs are easy to sing along to and very catchy. Always helps listening to this on my ipod when going for a cold wet dog walk :)

kenobi_on_a_prayer 06-23-2009 05:14 PM

I don't think I'd have a problem with the odd solo song been thrown into a band set any more than I would with the E Street Band doing Bruce songs that weren't recorded with them. Besides, we don't look like getting a solo tour anytime soon.

That said, such songs might not go down that well with most of the live stadium audience. :rolleyes:

Becky 06-23-2009 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenobi_on_a_prayer (Post 927389)
That said, such songs might not go down that well with most of the live stadium audience. :rolleyes:

I've seen the band do Stranger a few times and it always amounted to a giant exodus to the bathrooms or beer stand. I think that's why Richie sings a band song now instead of a solo song. They tried with the solo stuff and it didn't work.

crashed 06-23-2009 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suojelusperkele (Post 927383)
Unfortunately I don't think there was ever any chance of Stranger In This Town being on Cross Road, unless they'd have released a double album. There wasn't room, you could only fit 15 songs and as Stranger was never a hit it would have been the first to drop out of the track listing. But they should have put Sleep When I'm Dead instead of In These Arms as there are too many love songs, with BOR, ITA and IBTFY coming almost consecutively.

I don't see the problem with that as they're all different sounding tracks. Sleep When I'm Dead on Cross Road? Nah. Not when it's missing songs like Livin' In Sin or Dry County.

steel_horse75 06-23-2009 05:56 PM

keep solo stuff for a solo tour. I always get annoyed when the band play Blaze of Glory - and why was that on Crossroads? i think it was Jons ego rearing its head again.

RockThunder 06-23-2009 05:59 PM

I haven't heard the album for about 2 yrs now and I just discovered it again a few weeks ago. It has some certain songs that are good but it has way to much drum loops for me. It led the way to what came up a few years later with the band in some kind. I just would like know what the intension was to move into the pop rock direction so hard from one to the other moment?

KeepTheFaith2211 06-23-2009 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p34semm (Post 927405)
keep solo stuff for a solo tour. I always get annoyed when the band play Blaze of Glory - and why was that on Crossroads? i think it was Jons ego rearing its head again.

Because it's a brilliant song, which was a huge hit, and it's been pretty much adopted as a band song now anyway.

Crushgen24/88 06-24-2009 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenobi_on_a_prayer (Post 927389)
I don't think I'd have a problem with the odd solo song been thrown into a band set any more than I would with the E Street Band doing Bruce songs that weren't recorded with them.:

The difference is that every Bruce record has been released under the name Bruce Springsteen.

steel_horse75 06-24-2009 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeepTheFaith2211 (Post 927409)
Because it's a brilliant song, which was a huge hit, and it's been pretty much adopted as a band song now anyway.

im not buying that.
Yes its a great song - but its not Bon Jovi - if thats the case wheres a richie or dave song on Cross roads?

Crushgen24/88 06-24-2009 09:42 AM

I think Jon's ego did play apart in getting Blaze on CR, however the song was a massive number one hit that many in the casual world didn't know wasn't a band song, was played by the band at the high profile Academy Awards, and let's not forget that the band played it like 60 times on the KTF tour.

Captain Walrus 06-24-2009 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p34semm (Post 927506)
im not buying that.
Yes its a great song - but its not Bon Jovi - if thats the case wheres a richie or dave song on Cross roads?

But Cross Road was a Greatest Hits, and Blaze was among the top 5 or so hits that the band or any of its members solo had had by that point. Richie's singles had done nowhere near as well, so would have been a bit odd put on a GH. And as people have already said, Jon has said that he did want Stranger to be on it.

I don't think Dave had released anything by that point