Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Destination Anywhere (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=12162)

allmike 06-04-2003 11:40 AM

Destination Anywhere

Any one like this album. I really love this album especally songs like 'Destination Anywhere', 'Every word is piece o fmy heart', 'Its just me', 'August 7:15' and 'Midnight in Chelsea'.

So people give ur review.

eriK 06-04-2003 11:44 AM

I can't say that i like this album. some songs are better then others but it feels like an mediocre attempt to do a pop/rock album.

they only song that i listen to nowadays from this album is "janie don't take your love into town..."

i don't know why, all i know is that its quite good.. :roll: :?

juraj 06-04-2003 12:10 PM

This topic was here more than hundered times. But, YES, I LOVE IT. Together with Blaze of Glory the best albums of all times.

Kev 06-04-2003 12:46 PM

Janie dont take your love to town is a classic imo

letitrock 06-04-2003 12:57 PM

hate that album

i liked the guitar on queen of new orleans that's all

midnight in chelsea was an embarassment... an attempt to copy Philadelphia (in an atmospheric way)??

al 06-04-2003 12:58 PM

this record is an attempt of doing something... but i don't have very clear what jon was trying to do. it's full of everything and full of nothing. it has good tunes on it, but for me, it's too much '90's british sound'...

anyway, the song 'destination anywhere' is great. it'll be great to hear a rockin' version of this one.

Priya 06-04-2003 01:44 PM

destination anywhere......best song

Baby, we both been running uphill for too long
We both settled for something, got nothing
And we both know it's wrong
Go on admit it we lived it, I'm leaving -
Get your boots and come on
I got my coat and my keys, I need you next to me, then I'm gone

Destination Anywhere
Name the place and I'll be there
Pack a bag a we're out of here - let's run
Destination Anywhere
Left of right, I don't care
Maybe we'll just disappear like the sun

very nice song...deep meaning.....allmike ur songs r kool :D, keep it up! This song goes very well with the movie.....have u seen this movie its gr8... :angel: :mrgreen:

Kev Bee 06-04-2003 02:00 PM

I don't think Jon was looking for overall commercial success of this album, it was a personal project and he has often said that DA was art! I suppose you could liken it to Richie, he has often said stranger in this town should have been more radio friendly but that he came from a soulful place on that album. The band is the outlet for the commercial music, i think DA was more Jon then when in the band.

Kev Bee 06-04-2003 02:01 PM

I don't think Jon was looking for overall commercial success of this album, it was a personal project and he has often said that DA was art! I suppose you could liken it to Richie, he has often said stranger in this town should have been more radio friendly but that he came from a soulful place on that album. The band is the outlet for the commercial music, i think DA was more Jon then when in the band.

Tico2004 06-04-2003 02:16 PM

Ya good album,quite the same in parts unlike richies Stranger..... but songs like Its Just Me+Cold Heart are lyrically very well written

jess 06-04-2003 02:27 PM

i just love it !
especially, Janie, It's just me, Every word ... :wink:

Sanjeev Singh 06-04-2003 04:24 PM

yeah i lioke the album it's got sentimental value to me anyway. That was a cool period for me anyways. I like Midnight In Chelsea - I know it doesn't sound like a Jovi song, but that's cause it's Jon's solo effort. Destination Anywhere is a brilliant one, while Janie is really, really nice. Queen of New Orleans will be very good to listen to live.

I like that Jon was experimenting his artisitic side here - Blaze Of Glory record resemled a BJ record, but DA doesn't. I like both of course. Better he experimented here than on a BJ album, right?

Anyway, one of my faves, but I still think Richie's solo records are a bit better than Jon's (Undiscovered Soul is better than Destination Anywhere, while Blaze Of Glory and Stranger In This Town are on par with each other - On the whole, I prefer richie's solo efforts.)

choclady 06-04-2003 04:25 PM

i like the album, but just one thing:

i could be wrong but in parts it really does sound like oasis to me :?

Mousebounce 06-04-2003 05:27 PM

One of my favorites and underrated in my book!!!

letitrock 06-04-2003 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mousebounce

disappointed in Mrs 80 rock :(

Mousebounce 06-04-2003 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by letitrock
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mousebounce

disappointed in Mrs 80 rock :(

I knew you would be, but I like it..I really like it. :wink:

RichieW2001 06-04-2003 05:54 PM

not a big fan

listened to it once through and since then have only listened to janie, MIC and a a bit of Ugly

allmike 06-04-2003 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juraj
This topic was here more than hundered times. But, YES, I LOVE IT. Together with Blaze of Glory the best albums of all times.

are u sure?. You look like new to DC. And i think u didn't even visited DC for 100 times.

RichieW2001 06-04-2003 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allmike
Quote:

are u sure?. You look like new to DC. And i think u didn't even visited DC for 100 times.

many people just read without posting.

Kathleen 06-04-2003 06:11 PM

When I first heard it I thought it was only ok. However, I am not the only one in my family and after OTHER people played it a lot, it grew on me.
Now, I enjoy most of the album. I think my first reaction was disappointment because it is not rock. As I said, I have come to appreciate and enjoy it, but I still wouldn't put it on my favorite list.

Kathleen

Jovi-obsession 06-04-2003 06:42 PM

It's not a favorite, but I still listen to it on a regular basis.

KTF!

Becky 06-04-2003 07:03 PM

I love the CD and think it's brilliant. The lyrics, vocals, and sound are great. I didn't mind that it was different because I get bored with the same things over and over again. I enjoy the narrative of Midnight in Chelsea; the introspectiveness of It's Just Me and Learning How to Fall; the smoothness of Little City. The only song I tend to skip is Janie because the title annoys me (listening to Kenny Rogers that day, Jon?). Still, I think verses of that song are wonderfully written... the chorus needed some work though.

It is among my favorites and it was nice of Jon to release it on my birthday (well, in Europe, anyway). :lol:

Becky

Rakel 06-04-2003 10:24 PM

i like destination, every word, janie, august7... it's a great album, as great as blaze of glory. i think jon does great solo albums 8)

jess 06-04-2003 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rakel
i like destination, every word, janie, august7... it's a great album, as great as blaze of glory. i think jon does great solo albums 8)

each time i hear a song from DA, i would like to hear only Jon's voice without any music, I really love it.

fanatica 06-05-2003 12:07 AM

I'm nuts about Richie's solo music but not so much about Jons. I don't like Blaze of Glory that much but Destination is pretty good. Some songs are great: Queen of New Orleans, Janie, It's Just Me, Little City, and August 7th... the others I tend to skip over frequently. I can't really relate to any of it. :?

ShaSha 06-05-2003 12:29 AM

I honestly can not recall the last time I listened to a song on that album. :?
I'm not sure why but I just could never get into it at all.

allmike 06-05-2003 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky
I love the CD and think it's brilliant. The lyrics, vocals, and sound are great. I didn't mind that it was different because I get bored with the same things over and over again. I enjoy the narrative of Midnight in Chelsea; the introspectiveness of It's Just Me and Learning How to Fall; the smoothness of Little City. The only song I tend to skip is Janie because the title annoys me (listening to Kenny Rogers that day, Jon?). Still, I think verses of that song are wonderfully written... the chorus needed some work though.

It is among my favorites and it was nice of Jon to release it on my birthday (well, in Europe, anyway). :lol:

Becky

I'm with you 100%. I also do not like Jane.. and Queen of ... that much.
My fav is Defnetly Every word is .... that is some song.

My feeling is this is something Jon can be proud of ever after. Although Blaze of Glory is one my all time fav album, I love DA in very different way. It is like addiction which has no cure. I love this album more now then when it released, it is Fine wine which get better with age.

juraj 06-05-2003 03:37 PM

allmike wrote:
juraj wrote:
(This topic was here more than hundered times. But, YES, I LOVE IT. Together with Blaze of Glory the best albums of all times.

are u sure?. You look like new to DC. And i think u didn't even visited DC for 100 times.)

(many people just read without posting.)

I already answered couple of times to this topic (I dont mean Hundred times EXACTLY hundred times). I am every day at this page probably from 1998.

allmike 06-05-2003 05:08 PM

Quote:

allmike wrote:
juraj wrote:
(This topic was here more than hundered times. But, YES, I LOVE IT. Together with Blaze of Glory the best albums of all times.

are u sure?. You look like new to DC. And i think u didn't even visited DC for 100 times.)

(many people just read without posting.)

I already answered couple of times to this topic (I dont mean Hundred times EXACTLY hundred times). I am every day at this page probably from 1998.

I didn't know it. :oops:
Here topics keep on poping up same after some times.

Gabor. 06-05-2003 07:11 PM

This album is a masterpiece, in fact it made me a fan! Midnight In Chelsea is a bit cheesy with those sha-la-las, but I like it for personal reasons. All the other songs are great, with deep lyrics (August 7th..., Staring At Your Window...) and unusual instrumentation.

Shaun 06-05-2003 07:31 PM

it has some good songs like Queen Of New Orleans and Destination Anywhere and August 7th, 4:15......but i havent listened to that album since last year at the least

Captain Crash 06-06-2003 03:23 AM

I think Destination Anywhere is deep and inspiring. It's different in an honest way. Every song slides in and the album isn't shuffled with rockers to make it seem like a hard rock album. It's a soft rock album. I have a very open mind toward it, unlike others who complain about it not being rocky enough. Just because it isn't as hard-rocking to your liking..well..that doesn't mean you can't enjoy it. I don't think Jon cared what anyone thought of it since he barely toured for it in America and it wasn't such a big seller.

With Destination Anywhere, you can actually get something out of the lyrics, as you can't with many Bon Jovi songs like "Homebound Train" .. "Wild In The Streets" .. "Raise Your Hands" and "Let It Rock"...

The 90's were a step up for Bon Jovi from the garbage 80's... and certainly a step up for Jon.

allmike 06-06-2003 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Crash
I think Destination Anywhere is deep and inspiring. It's different in an honest way. Every song slides in and the album isn't shuffled with rockers to make it seem like a hard rock album. It's a soft rock album. I have a very open mind toward it, unlike others who complain about it not being rocky enough. Just because it isn't as hard-rocking to your liking..well..that doesn't mean you can't enjoy it. I don't think Jon cared what anyone thought of it since he barely toured for it in America and it wasn't such a big seller.

With Destination Anywhere, you can actually get something out of the lyrics, as you can't with many Bon Jovi songs like "Homebound Train" .. "Wild In The Streets" .. "Raise Your Hands" and "Let It Rock"...

The 90's were a step up for Bon Jovi from the garbage 80's... and certainly a step up for Jon.

Yeah and I think Jon was totally out of touch with his usual music at that time he was living in England. So he was not in any pressure from Record compny either. Just what he wanted is to create something which is very personl to him.

Bleeding Purist 06-07-2003 06:55 AM

Quote:

Becky

Destination Anywhere has basically been a journey of discovery for me over the years. I certainly didn't have the capacity to appreciate it properly when it was initially released. At first the only songs that I liked were Naked and Janie Don't Your Take Your Love To Town. Like Becky, I did think he must have been listening to Kenny Rogers that day.

As different as Naked was for Jon at the time, I loved the groove of the song and the crunch of the bass and guitar when it comes in at the beginning. It made me think of Prince and I do appreciate Prince as it

Strangely enough...Janie is now the song I skip. I realized that the reason I liked it at first was cuz it is the MOST Bon Jovi like on the album. It's closest to what we are used to. But against the rest of the songs on the album, it is the weakest.

British Pop/Rock/Techno is what Jon was going for with this album, but it went over most people's heads including mine. You cannot come to this album expecting Bon Jovi or Bon Jovi-like songs. I came to this album expecting something like Blaze of Glory....instead Jon presented his newly relatively subdued voice and a completely different sound that came off as mediocre only because I was so convinced of what I should expect that my mind did not register what he was actually doing. And I'm a Depeche Mode fan!

This is one of those albums where when someone goes "oh it sucks" I'm absolutely convinced it's beyond their comprehension or too closed-minded. It definately isn't a rock album and if categorized, it belongs under the Alternative category. It definately is a work of Art.

Those of you who are already fans of Depeche Mode (particularly the Songs of Faith And Devotion period) or similarly styled music who haven't already caught on to Destination, go back and really listen to it..forget Bon Jovi and let Destination stand completely on it's own. I guarantee that immediately some songs you just skipped over or only gave a quick listen to before with Bon Jovi in mind will begin to just come alive and you'll have a renewed interest in the album.

allmike 06-07-2003 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleeding Purist
Quote:

Becky

Destination Anywhere has basically been a journey of discovery for me over the years. I certainly didn't have the capacity to appreciate it properly when it was initially released. At first the only songs that I liked were Naked and Janie Don't Your Take Your Love To Town. Like Becky, I did think he must have been listening to Kenny Rogers that day.

As different as Naked was for Jon at the time, I loved the groove of the song and the crunch of the bass and guitar when it comes in at the beginning. It made me think of Prince and I do appreciate Prince as it

Strangely enough...Janie is now the song I skip. I realized that the reason I liked it at first was cuz it is the MOST Bon Jovi like on the album. It's closest to what we are used to. But against the rest of the songs on the album, it is the weakest.

British Pop/Rock/Techno is what Jon was going for with this album, but it went over most people's heads including mine. You cannot come to this album expecting Bon Jovi or Bon Jovi-like songs. I came to this album expecting something like Blaze of Glory....instead Jon presented his newly relatively subdued voice and a completely different sound that came off as mediocre only because I was so convinced of what I should expect that my mind did not register what he was actually doing. And I'm a Depeche Mode fan!

This is one of those albums where when someone goes "oh it sucks" I'm absolutely convinced it's beyond their comprehension or too closed-minded. It definately isn't a rock album and if categorized, it belongs under the Alternative category. It definately is a work of Art.

Those of you who are already fans of Depeche Mode (particularly the Songs of Faith And Devotion period) or similarly styled music who haven't already caught on to Destination, go back and really listen to it..forget Bon Jovi and let Destination stand completely on it's own. I guarantee that immediately some songs you just skipped over or only gave a quick listen to before with Bon Jovi in mind will begin to just come alive and you'll have a renewed interest in the album.

I'm with you 1000000000%. :D

I don't thing JBJ or BJ will ever come up with an album like DA ever. You may hate it or you may love it but u just can't ignore it.