Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Other Bands (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Sum 41 (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=10131)

AnnieKTF 04-20-2003 04:06 PM

Sum 41

Hey, are there any Sum 41 fans here? I can't stop listening to their album "Does This Look Infected?" these days... It rocks... The guys are really great!

Rune 04-20-2003 04:59 PM

They suck big time!

Mousebounce 04-20-2003 05:49 PM

Yeah, I am not a big fan either. One time on MTV they were talking about Bon Jovi and Sum 41 was there. They were like, "Who's that?"

Flash in the pan, I think.

Rob 04-20-2003 08:31 PM

I remember seeing Bon Jovi live on CD UK recently. Cat Deely asked Jon and Richie what they thought about the modern compettion from bands like Blink 182 and Sum 41. Richie replied with "Competition....what competition?". I agree with him. Sum 41 do suck and they aren't a band that will last I think.

Keba 04-20-2003 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob
I remember seeing Bon Jovi live on CD UK recently. Cat Deely asked Jon and Richie what they thought about the modern compettion from bands like Blink 182 and Sum 41. Richie replied with "Competition....what competition?". I agree with him. Sum 41 do suck and they aren't a band that will last I think.

I actually prefer Sum 41 to blink-182.

Kev 04-20-2003 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rune
They suck big time!

SUM 41 ROCK BIG TIME!!!!! I have all three of thier albums, Their first was a little disappointing, but "all killer, no filler" was excellent, as was Does This look infcted.

I always request Sum 41 in my fave Liverpool, Club the krazy house where all the rock music gets played. Fat Lip and In To Deep are my faves :-)

Supersonic 04-20-2003 10:31 PM

Aloha !

The bad thing about SUM41 is that they make bad music.

The good thing about SUM41 is that their albums last only 35 minutes or so.

I don't think they are bad, it's just not the same genre as Bon Jovi. But it's not bad, at least they don't make computerised crap or playback.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

AnnieKTF 04-20-2003 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev UK
SUM 41 ROCK BIG TIME!!!!! I have all three of thier albums, Their first was a little disappointing, but "all killer, no filler" was excellent, as was Does This look infcted.

I always request Sum 41 in my fave Liverpool, Club the krazy house where all the rock music gets played. Fat Lip and In To Deep are my faves :-)

I don't have their first album yet..... :(
My fav song is Over My Head.
And I'm glad there's someone here who likes Sum 41...

yomamasofat 04-21-2003 01:24 AM

I actually enjoy their music. Pain for Pleasure is their best... this is heavier than most BJ tunes!

supergirl17 04-21-2003 02:16 AM

I love Sum 41!!!! I have seen them live twice now and they rock!!!! I love every album that they have released, and I think that every song is good. I'm really glad to finally meet someone who likes them too. :)

Captain Walrus 04-21-2003 11:21 AM

I've seen them live too, they do rock...... probably the only punk rock band I actually like :D Their newer material is better IMO, at the moment I'm loving The Hell Song 8) Great riff

Keep On Rockin'

Mr Bluesman 04-21-2003 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob

Lol :lol:
Yeah, I wouldn't go out and buy anything by Sum 41 but for this new style of 'pop-punk-rock' they aren't really too bad, not as bad as some of the bands that are trying to do this. You'd listen to them if it came on the radio but no more. I wouldn't say they're to sort of group to be taken too seriously, but I think this might be a big part of their success.

Rob 04-21-2003 09:28 PM

I think Cat Deely's question was a little lame. There is simply no comparison between BJ and Sum 41 because they are different genres, like someone already said. Sum 41 are a punk band who play hard and fast. That can be alright, but I just remember seeing them on TV and thinking "What the....?". It's all about opinion at the end of the day. I just don't like punk really, and that's just me.

Dave 1986 05-08-2023 07:39 PM

Sum 41 announce split after 27 years and music is officially dead

Sum 41 are dispanding after their latest album and tour;

https://metro.co.uk/2023/05/08/sum-4...dead-18748837/

I enjoyed their music during the All Killer No Filler era but kind of lost interest after that. Punk-pop-rock is a genre that I enjoyed during my mid-teens when I was just getting into rock but I guess I moved on to hard/classic rock shortly after that.

Very talented band though (probably too talented for the genre they chose!) and had a very good run.

steel_horse75 05-08-2023 10:03 PM

First 2 albums were decent but then lost interest

Sent from my SM-S906B using Tapatalk

Dave 1986 05-08-2023 10:16 PM

Sum 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1285105)
First 2 albums were decent but then lost interest

I’ve always considered Half Hour of Power their first album, even though it was an EP, even thought it had 10 or 11 songs on there and was “album-length”. That and All Killer No Filler were my two Sum 41 albums that I listened to a lot when I was around 15.

I remember some singles/music videos from Does This Look Infected? but it just sounded like more of the same to me. I seem to remember them going for a much heavier sound with the following album Chuck.

I used to enjoy this live medley they did back in 2001 when Rob Halford (Judas Priest) and Tommy Lee (Mötley Crüe) joined them on stage mid-way;